Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2017, 07:30 AM   #1
overeasy

Default Wolfeboro ramp with best traction - minivan?

Hi, any local knowledge on ramp condition? We're staying in downtown Wolfeboro and will be launching a 16' aluminum boat with a FWD minivan. It's not a real heavy setup but I usually use an AWD Subaru to launch and retrieve. Any ramps known for being slippery or not?

Thank you.
overeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:35 AM   #2
JADAQ

The ramp right here in town won't be an issue for you or the one up by Libby museum.
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
NH.Solar

If you're not familiar with launching a boat with fwd there is one tip you might want to be aware of, have the vehicle in neutral backing down the ramp rather than reverse. Gravity will do a good job enough job of of pulling you downhill in neutral. If you use reverse you have the double whammy of both gravity and reverse fighting your now partially unloaded front brakes and this can cause front wheel lockups which could result in a loss of both steering and braking.

Last edited by NH.Solar; 05-29-2017 at 03:32 PM.
NH.Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH.Solar View Post
If you're not familiar with launching a boat with fwd and vicuous coupled awd there is one tip you might want to be aware of, have the vehicle in neutral backing down the ramp rather than reverse. Gravity will do a good job enough job of of pulling you downhill in neutral. If you use reverse you have the double whammy of both gravity and reverse fighting your now partially unloaded front brakes and this can cause front wheel lockups which could result in a loss of both steering and braking.

If the trailer has hydraulic brakes I would not use neutral. This could cause the brakes to activate when pressure is sensed at the coupler.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:27 PM   #5
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
If the trailer has hydraulic brakes I would not use neutral. This could cause the brakes to activate when pressure is sensed at the coupler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by overeasy View Post
will be launching a 16' aluminum boat with a FWD minivan. It's not a real heavy setup

Thank you.
I doubt this set up has hydraulic brakes. If it does and the trailer does not back up, then there is something wrong with the trailer wiring if it has the reverse lock out solenoid, or the manual lockout has not been activated before trying to (back up / go in reverse).

I think you will be fine with "JADAQ's" recommend locations.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #6
HellRaZoR004

Top-Water, a reverse lockout only works when the vehicle is in reverse. All I was simply pointing out was that if it does have brakes and the vehicles was in neutral backing down the ramp, the brakes would engage.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:20 PM   #7
overeasy

Thank you for the recommendation. I back down in reverse. The fisheye lens backup camera is helpful and only works in reverse. I go so slow when backing down a ramp. I like to glide the boat off, not scare it off the trailer as I see some people do.

No brakes on the trailer.

Bit of wisdom I picked up in another forum regarding launching boat with a minivan full of kids - get the kids out and have them stand on the dock with mom. If the tow rig does take a swim you don't want kids strapped into car seats! 90% of my boating is solo and I'm a new parent. I wouldn't have thought of that.
overeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #8
persamp

Default Open the rear hatch

another trick for minivans (and SUVs) is to open the hatch when backing down. really helps with visibility!
persamp is offline   Reply With Quote