Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
Rattletrap

Default Leaving your fenders tied to the dock?

Do any of the members leave there fenders tied to their/slip dock so they don't have to worry about them when coming back in for the day and just keep an extra set for public docking etc? We have 3 flat boards on our finger to tie to so i was going to hang a fender of of each and just leave them there all summer.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
dave603

That's what I did last year on a rented slip. Nothing on the slip but wood and metal. Just seemed like a good thing to do.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:49 AM   #3
LoveLakeLife

I did it last year too and it worked out well. I'm often alone on the boat so it makes it easier too.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #4
Barney Bear

Default Fenders - - Here and There

We keep fenders in place at our boatyard slip as well as at our dock on East Bear Island. We have fenders on board for docking elsewhere. 🚤
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

At camp, we nailed rubber strips to the posts. You can buy it at marinas in varying lengths. You don't have to re-set it when a different boat uses the dock or when lake level changes. Stays in place year round, lasts for years. At our marina, we tie four ways, still use a fender or two so we can tie a little closer on one side for easy on/off.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Screw on

I use a similar product to the below link- I replace it every few years. It holds up well, but make sure you account for a low or high lake.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/taylo...03?recordNum=1
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:14 PM   #7
Woody38

I have large fenders 24" long (4), 12" diameter which are attached to posts in the slip and remain all season. Also have a small fender with holes on each end that I attach a length of line to and slip that over a post in the slip.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:17 PM   #8
Rattletrap

If anyone has pics that would be great too
Old 05-10-2017, 02:40 PM   #9
Rattletrap

Default What knot would you use

to tie fenders to these?
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2017, 04:45 PM   #10
MeredithMan

Default Yup....

....leave the fenders tied to the dock and the dock lines as well. That way, I just unhook the lines from the cleats on the boat upon leaving and when we return, just loop the lines through the cleats and we're tied up in a jiff.

We of course have dock lines and fenders on the boat in the event we need to tie up somewhere while we are out.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #11
Island Girl

Default Fender suspenders

I have adjustable fender suspenders on three of my posts. Google it and the guy's site will come up. Mine are a special configuration he made for dock posts.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Island Girl For This Useful Post:
Tedougherty (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 06:40 AM   #12
Phantom

We invested in something very similar to this ...... in stock at Parafunalia ....

Attached Images

Rattletrap (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 06:52 AM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

You know what I like about those? They won't show the mold and mildew like the white ones do.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:58 AM   #14
Rich

I use these on the posts at my home dock:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/taylo...04?recordNum=3

They mount on the vertical posts.

Parafunalia also has them, so support our local vendors.

If you prefer, they make a version that is very temporary:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/taylo...05_157_006_005

They last for years! They can be removed and reused if you rent a slip. They can be easily cleaned.

Place them so your rub rail will hit them at both high and low lake levels and you are good to go! See the photo to see how I install them.

I try not to use fenders as they will scuff and scratch the fiberglass! It took me a couple of years to learn about this.

Now I only use fenders when:

1: Boat to boat, such as when rafting
2: I'm at a dock where my rub rail won't match up to the posts, even if the posts are bare wood.

Some use polyester fender covers to try to stop the scuff and scratches caused by fenders, I try to minimize fender use as much as possible:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...rs--P017216367
Or you can make your own covers cut from the legs of cheap polyester sweat pants purchased at Wal-Mart.

With a black hull the scuff and scratches from the use of fenders is very apparent. If you have a white hull, it's not as easy to see, but it is still occurring.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
Rattletrap (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #15
Kamper

It's very convenient to leave a set on your home-dock. If you have them fastened to the dock it will save a lot of time.

FYI - I left my boat's fenders at the Weirs once. They were still there when I went back for them a couple hours later.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #16
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I try to tie fenders to the boat whenever possible.

1. I have forgotten fenders at public docks and had to replace them.

2. I have had fenders pick up a little dirt and make scratch marks on the boat as it moves against them. My thought is that a fender tied to the boat (when it works out) moves with the boat and there is less of a chance of scratching the boat than there is with the boat moving against a stationary fender. And, I can never forget it at a dock.
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #17
Smith Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I use these on the posts at my home dock:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/taylo...04?recordNum=3

They mount on the vertical posts.

Parafunalia also has them, so support our local vendors.

If you prefer, they make a version that is very temporary:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/taylo...05_157_006_005

They last for years! They can be removed and reused if you rent a slip. They can be easily cleaned.

Place them so your rub rail will hit them at both high and low lake levels and you are good to go! See the photo to see how I install them.

I try not to use fenders as they will scuff and scratch the fiberglass! It took me a couple of years to learn about this.

Now I only use fenders when:

1: Boat to boat, such as when rafting
2: I'm at a dock where my rub rail won't match up to the posts, even if the posts are bare wood.

Some use polyester fender covers to try to stop the scuff and scratches caused by fenders, I try to minimize fender use as much as possible:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...rs--P017216367
Or you can make your own covers cut from the legs of cheap polyester sweat pants purchased at Wal-Mart.

With a black hull the scuff and scratches from the use of fenders is very apparent. If you have a white hull, it's not as easy to see, but it is still occurring.
Rich, Nice Dock. are your 4x4 posts notched into the dock, permanently? if we did that the ice would snap the posts like matchsticks.
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:55 PM   #18
Patofnaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith Point View Post
Rich, Nice Dock. are your 4x4 posts notched into the dock, permanently? if we did that the ice would snap the posts like matchsticks.
Looks like the deck is notched around the posts.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:17 AM   #19
Rich

Deck is notched, not the posts.

I don't think there is much ice movement there, as they don't even use bubblers in the winter.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:59 AM   #20
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

With all this talk about bumpers, not knowing the OP situation, I wanted to throw out there that Whips are also a wonderful product, for keeping boats off the dock.

Now of course if your slip is in a marina then this probably isn't an option. But if it is a private dock I honest suggest to people to seriously consider the option, especially if you happen to be in a high traffic, or prone to weather area.

I absolutely love my mooring whips... I used to have a U shaped dock, to help keep the boat safe... but it was a lot of work to put in and out... Now I have a single pier, that goes in quickly... I and many friends have used whips with boats of all sizes, including jet skis.....

While the mooring whips are expensive when compared to bumpers, if you have a permanent situation, think of it as an investment... They will keep your boat safe for years... I have a neighbor that has had whips for now almost 30 years... He did have to replace on of the two whips after a knuckle head move... but one of the original whips is still going strong.... Myself my whips now are 10 seasons young......if I look at the 400$ cost that is 40$ a season...

My only suggestion if you go for whips, is to think forward, to that time when you might want a bigger boat... and size the whips with this in mind.... My situation, was that I could have spent less, but my current boat was at the limit of the smaller whips size... So yes I have an overkill situation, but when I decide I want a larger boat, I am all set.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #21
persistence

I leave all my lines at the dock. It's so much easier for someone to help tying up from the boat or the dock. Except when they put the wrong line on the wrong cleat and you stop short.

I used to leave fenders on the dock for my 20' also. And just keep a nice set with you for travelling.

My 31' is awlgripped, and the slip is tighter with fingers on both sides. So I keep the fenders on the boat and use the taylor made fleece covers. I just try to minimize rubbing as much as I can. And I think there's less damage if the fender is tied to the boat vs the boat rubbing a stationary fender. I've also seen a line rip through a fender because the fender was stuck on a piling when leaving the dock, so be careful everything is clear.

This year I hope to put boats 90 to my fingers like in the pics above and the rubber. So I don't need to use fenders at all. I'm in a river that is controlled by a dam. So i can be a little above my dock, or under depending on rainfall. The boards should help with this. I hate the feeling when i'm out of town that the boat could be rubbing the underside of the dock....
persistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:36 AM   #22
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
With all this talk about bumpers, not knowing the OP situation, I wanted to throw out there that Whips are also a wonderful product, for keeping boats off the dock.

Now of course if your slip is in a marina then this probably isn't an option. But if it is a private dock I honest suggest to people to seriously consider the option, especially if you happen to be in a high traffic, or prone to weather area.

I absolutely love my mooring whips... I used to have a U shaped dock, to help keep the boat safe... but it was a lot of work to put in and out... Now I have a single pier, that goes in quickly... I and many friends have used whips with boats of all sizes, including jet skis.....

While the mooring whips are expensive when compared to bumpers, if you have a permanent situation, think of it as an investment... They will keep your boat safe for years... I have a neighbor that has had whips for now almost 30 years... He did have to replace on of the two whips after a knuckle head move... but one of the original whips is still going strong.... Myself my whips now are 10 seasons young......if I look at the 400$ cost that is 40$ a season...

My only suggestion if you go for whips, is to think forward, to that time when you might want a bigger boat... and size the whips with this in mind.... My situation, was that I could have spent less, but my current boat was at the limit of the smaller whips size... So yes I have an overkill situation, but when I decide I want a larger boat, I am all set.
Jason, this would look awesome at your place!! I have never seen one with twins- looks like a great boat for the lake!
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...?do=ad&id=8792
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:12 PM   #23
Dave M

Default A little unorthodox

Believe or not I use floatation cushions. I buy the solid core with long strap(Bradley). I tie one side in a knot to get half the length so I can go with any height. This has worked out for years and the cushions last a few years. I've had no issues with strap breaking or tears. Eventually it does wear out. Reason I use these they tend to not roll or move around dock post since its flat. I've doubled up in some cases using Velcro strap to tie together. Using the cushions does double duty, one for docks and one for safety in case person overboard which is required. This saves me space since I have a 20' boat.

My own docks has its own bumpers since I got that option when buying dock.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #24
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
See fatlazyless for a good deal on his used pants.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:02 AM   #25
Rich

There are too many holes in them for proper marine use.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #26
DoTheMath

Default Fender Suspenders / Extenders

As Island Girl mentioned, we can build any custom configuration, color, etc... that you may need, and they come in 3 sizes (1", 1.5", 2" wide) to fit boats from 13' to 60'+. With the combination of Fender Suspenders and Fender Extenders, you can use / leave the Extenders on your fenders (they work with any type fender on any style boat) and use these (on your boat) when you are out. At your home dock, just leave the Fender Suspenders on the post, when you get back, the Extenders just clip into the Suspenders - best of both worlds! They instantly adjust to any height, so as the water level varies, you can set the fenders exactly where you need them.

Any questions, feel free to reach out to me and I'll be happy to help!

mark@fendersuspenders.com
Attached Images

DoTheMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:09 PM   #27
radiocontester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheMath View Post
As Island Girl mentioned, we can build any custom configuration, color, etc... that you may need, and they come in 3 sizes (1", 1.5", 2" wide) to fit boats from 13' to 60'+. With the combination of Fender Suspenders and Fender Extenders, you can use / leave the Extenders on your fenders (they work with any type fender on any style boat) and use these (on your boat) when you are out. At your home dock, just leave the Fender Suspenders on the post, when you get back, the Extenders just clip into the Suspenders - best of both worlds! They instantly adjust to any height, so as the water level varies, you can set the fenders exactly where you need them.

Any questions, feel free to reach out to me and I'll be happy to help!

mark@fendersuspenders.com
HUGE thumbs up for the fender extenders. I'm going on my second season with two sets and they still look brand new (full sun exposure all day at the marina). They make hanging fenders from the boat a piece of cake.....even non-boaters can adjust the fenders without worrying about tying knots. Mark makes a fantastic product.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #28
DoTheMath

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiocontester View Post
HUGE thumbs up for the fender extenders. I'm going on my second season with two sets and they still look brand new (full sun exposure all day at the marina). They make hanging fenders from the boat a piece of cake.....even non-boaters can adjust the fenders without worrying about tying knots. Mark makes a fantastic product.
Thanks very much for the compliment "RC", glad to hear they are treating you well, we engineered all our products to perform at the highest level possible. Between our regular products and "off the menu" variants, it's been a busy spring order-wise. We're happy to entertain any requests to help you solve your fender rigging needs for the boat or dock. Any questions, please reach out and I'll be happy to help! Safe boating and enjoy the weekend! -Mark-
DoTheMath is offline   Reply With Quote