Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
itchin for fishin

Default Where to fish early Salmon

Looks like ice will cooperate for some early April salmon fishing. Historically, I have always fished around the Long Island bridge. I really don't feel like trucking to Moultonborough and would like to launch around Meredith. How is Meredith Bay for early season salmon and trout? Am I better off launching by Sheps? Appreciate your thoughts.
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
fatlazyless

If you launch at Shep Brown's, the town will most likely have a sign posted up, telling boaters to pay a twenty dollar town launch fee inside at Shep's. The right ramp belongs to Shep's. The left ramp belongs to the town.

For twenty bucks, last year's price, you can go launch at Ames' Farm Inn on the Gilford-Alton line and go help poor old Ames www.amesfarminn.com with their $43,686. annual Gilford property tax bill. Correct? ....Is the Ames' ramp now going to be open to day-use, trailer-boaters since Ames just whooped a big victory on the town warrant article vote?

If you launch from Meredith town docks on Route 3 in April or May, most likely the town will not have anyone there collecting the twenty dollar launch fee or just have someone there on Saturdays.

Centre Harbor has an excellent ramp and was charging ten dollars last year but probably do not bother collecting until June, sometime...

Understand that fishing for trout or salmon in Winnipesaukee before April 1 is a
finable fishing violation by NH Fish & Game. Anyone know what's the violation cost?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-22-2010 at 05:14 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
topwater

FLL the violations cost, LOL, such a diplomatic way of saying FINE, is $85 fine and loss of licence for either 90 or 120 day. Just to take this one step further, it is againest the law to fish out of a boat on winnie or any other lake that is classified as a ( Salmon and or Lake Trout Lake ) for any type of fish. No exceptions. Hope this helps. Trust me on this !!! Thats all I'll say. Thats what it was 4 years ago, fines might be higher now.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:32 AM   #4
itchin for fishin

Not too worried about launch fees now since like you said, I never see anyone until Memorial Day. I'm just wondering if the fishing is worth it in those two bays early in the season for salmon or lakers. I don't want to be just washing fishing line- LOL.

FLL- surprised what you said about Ames, thought that was still shut down to day launch.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
topwater

Thumbs up

Hey itchen, , Saunders bay is always a good bet for salmon in the spring !
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
itchin for fishin

Where can you launch by Saunders bay? I just want to take my small 14' skiff out so I don't want to be running a lot of open water.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
topwater

Thumbs up

Maybe SIVER SANDS MOTEL would let you launch out of thier facility, that is right in Saunders Bay, give them a call, the most they can say is "NO".
Old 03-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
farechofisherman

hey itchin for fishin, you will have good success fishing in center harbor. launch right there and fish the entire harbor, always spring salmon in this area. concentrate on the shorelines about 100 yards out and you should do fine. good luck
farechofisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
itchin for fishin

Default Thanks guys

Thanks guys. Now just need for April 1 to show up.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Just be careful out there in such a small boat. Seems like every year there are a few of those small boats that run into big problems usually cause the weather and wind is so unpredictable this time of year. I can't tell you how many times I've passed small boats like that out in areas where if the wind kicks up they'd be in big trouble. No fish is worth risking your life for that's for darn sure!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
Jonas Pilot

Default Early fishing

I like to keep in mind the salmon’s relationship with it’s primary prey, the rainbow smelt. If you know where the smelt are salmon should be near. Smelt spawn in spring soon after ice out. Casting smelt imitating flies or lures or trolling similar lures close to these spawning areas will help increase you chances of success.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #12
Jonas Pilot

Default From NH Fish & Game

In 2010, spring anglers will be treated to something very odd for N.H., ice-out has occurred already on Lake Winnipesaukee (March 24), and most other central N.H. lakes will be mostly clear of ice for the April 1 opener! Thanks to recent rains, the flows in the Winnipesaukee watershed (Winnipesaukee Lake, and the Winnipesaukee River, which flows through Opechee, Winnisquam and Silver lakes) will tend to attract fish to high flow areas; angling for “drop-down” salmon (and rainbow trout) in the vicinity of the dams will be hot once again this season, with time-honored locations such as Lakeport Dam/Opechee Lake, the Winnipesaukee River through Laconia to Dixon Point at Lake Winnisquam, and Lochmere Dam at Silver Lake producing fish on the opener. Don’t forget, N.H. Fish and Game’s new boat access facility on the Winnipesaukee River in downtown Laconia, offering great access to Winnisquam Lake and some terrific rainbow and lake trout fishing.
Additionally, several popular Winnipesaukee shore fishing locations exist at the Merrymeeting River (fly-fishing-only, barbless, catch and release), and the mouth of the Merrymeeting River as it enters Alton Bay, downstream of the famous stone arch bridge. Other good sites to visit include the Weirs Channel in Laconia, Long Island Bridge in Moultonborough, Governors Island Bridge in Gilford, Smith River inlet at Wolfeboro Bay, and Meredith and Center Harbor town docks. At these locations, everything from smelt, shiners and worms under a slip bobber to small jigs will take salmon, as well as rainbows. The Newfound River/Bristol (fly-fishing-only) may have salmon and rainbows that have overwintered in its many pools and runs.
Because of the early ice-out, anglers need to be aware of changing weather conditions, as winds can increase quickly over large stretches of open water. Early spring ice-out salmon are successfully caught by trolling with everything from spoons (such as DB Smelt, Sutton, Mooselook, Top Gun, and Smelt Gun) to traditional streamer flies (for example, Maynard’s Marvel, Pumpkinhead, Mickey Finn, Joe’s Smelt, and the countless Grey Ghost variations), and an early season favorite, live smelt or shiners. Most early season fish are caught from the surface to about 15 feet down, with everything from planer board set-ups to the simplest of monofilament flat lines 50-150 feet behind the boat. When the wind kicks in, drifting live smelt or shiners in the waves can be highly effective.
Although it can be challenging to “pattern” lake fish at this time of year, finding warmer water (even a degree or two), windy shorelines, inside turns and bays, shallow flats near deeper water, tributary inlets and, of course, smelt schools (shallow this time of year, as they are running shorelines and tributaries to spawn) are all keys to improving success. A previously unsuccessful effort can provide several fish in less than an hour, once you find them and offer a convincing presentation.
To ensure the future of high-quality landlocked salmon fisheries, anglers must take extra care when releasing salmon, as the percentage of hook-wounded fish continues to climb in all lakes (as shown in our netting survey results above). Hook wounded/scarred fish are significantly shorter and poorer in body condition than non-hook-wounded counterparts of the same age. Using rubber nets and proper release techniques (for example, don’t “shake” fish off the hook) -- and releasing lightly hooked healthy salmon, while choosing to harvest previously hook-wounded fish – are some ways to minimize the negative effects of hook wounding, thereby increasing the number of trophy salmon available in the future.
Purchase your fishing license online at www.fishnh.com, or from any Fish and Game license agent.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Lake Waukewan, which is a very big lake in Meredith, is open for trout & salmon now before the April 1 Winnipesaukee opening, and has an excellent boat launch ramp and parking.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #14
Jonas Pilot

Are you sure about that?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
jmen24 (03-29-2010)
Old 03-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #15
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
Are you sure about that?
Just learned this info about Lake Waukewan from a fishing article in yesterday's Union Leader from the back pages of the sports section. Will go dig it out of the trash basket.....hmmm.....where is that...let's see here...ok...March 28, page C4, Union Leader; Guide Lines by Dick Pinney.

"What a start: Open water everywhere

Salmon opener: While opening day for designated trout waters is still four weeks away, there are plenty of places to wet a line right now."

"The Laconia area has plenty to offer besides big Winnipesaukee. At Winni you have the April 1 opener, but at Waukewan in Meredith and Winona in New Hampton, you have a year-round fishery and some big rainbows and brookies."

And, that is the total of my info....that's what the newspaper says..... fll
Old 03-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #16
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Just learned this info about Lake Waukewan from a fishing article in yesterday's Union Leader from the back pages of the sports section. Will go dig it out of the trash basket.....hmmm.....where is that...let's see here...ok...March 28, page C4, Union Leader; Guide Lines by Dick Pinney.

"What a start: Open water everywhere

Salmon opener: While opening day for designated trout waters is still four weeks away, there are plenty of places to wet a line right now."

"The Laconia area has plenty to offer besides big Winnipesaukee. At Winni you have the April 1 opener, but at Waukewan in Meredith and Winona in New Hampton, you have a year-round fishery and some big rainbows and brookies."

And, that is the total of my info....that's what the newspaper says..... fll
But you cannot take salmon prior to April 1st regardless of the water body being fished.

Brook Trout, Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout & their Hybrids

Rivers & Streams: January 1 - October 15
Wild Trout Streams: January 1 - Labor Day
Trout Ponds: 4th Saturday in April - October 15
Wild Trout Ponds: 4th Saturday in April - Labor Day
Lake Trout &/or Salmon Waters: January 1 - September 30
All Other Waters: No closed season

Lake Trout

All Waters: January 1 - September 30

Landlocked Salmon

4th Saturday in April - September 30 (Pleasant Lake, New London)
All Other Waters: April 1 - September 30
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:19 AM   #17
JoeG

Waukeewan has no salmon and you may fish it year-round
JoeG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeG For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (03-30-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #18
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
Waukeewan has no salmon and you may fish it year-round
Thanks, I was not aware that there were no Salmon in that lake, I do not fish for them.

Just trying to keep FLL from getting in trouble with F&G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Lake Waukewan, which is a very big lake in Meredith, is open for trout & salmon now before the April 1 Winnipesaukee opening, and has an excellent boat launch ramp and parking.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #19
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
But you cannot take salmon prior to April 1st regardless of the water body being fished.

Brook Trout, Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout & their Hybrids

Rivers & Streams: January 1 - October 15
Wild Trout Streams: January 1 - Labor Day
Trout Ponds: 4th Saturday in April - October 15
Wild Trout Ponds: 4th Saturday in April - Labor Day
Lake Trout &/or Salmon Waters: January 1 - September 30
All Other Waters: No closed season

Lake Trout

All Waters: January 1 - September 30

Landlocked Salmon

4th Saturday in April - September 30 (Pleasant Lake, New London)
All Other Waters: April 1 - September 30
You can't take Salmon before April 1st, but if you inadvertently hook one while fishing for trout you just release him. The Merrymeeting river opens January first for trout, for example, but sometimes a few salmon sneak in there - especially in March if the ice goes out early.

Caught and released this little one on wet fly March 18, 2010. Naturally I was fishing trout, but he was not to be denied:

And I got this hen about a hundred yards upriver, the last day of October (this dude held it for me so I could snap the pic):

Last edited by The Hairy Beast; 01-29-2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: add pics
The Hairy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:20 PM   #20
Jonas Pilot

You seem to be stretching the rules.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #21
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
The fall run goes to the last day of October, so that wasn't an issue. As for March, the Merrymeeting river is open for trout as of January 1. (noted above) I'm not going to not fish it on a fine sunny Saturday in March just because there are salmon mixed in there too. If I get one I release it. Would you not fish Alton bay through the ice because occasionally a salmon hits your smelt?

Last edited by The Hairy Beast; 01-29-2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Pour spelin an gramer
Old 01-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #22
Jonas Pilot

10 characters. No.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #23
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
10 characters. No.
There ya go. I was only there that day in March to wet a line because the river was open and it had been a long winter - I was shocked when something actually hit my fly. I really thought it was a trout. I've been fishing Alton for thirty years and I have NEVER seen salmon in the Merrymeeting before April 1st. Certainly not two weeks after February!

I was there for Opening day - it was amazing. I caught and released 14 Salmon (the river was flooded) and came away with a vicious sunburn.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #24
Jonas Pilot

You should learn to tell the difference between a male and female salmon.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:50 PM   #25
Jonas Pilot

Old 01-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #26
Jonas Pilot

You seem to not care that you are stretching the rules.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #27
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
You should learn to tell the difference between a male and female salmon.
That's a hen. I caught a male a few minutes later and the hook on his bill was much, much more pronounced.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #28
Jonas Pilot

Old 01-29-2011, 11:23 PM   #29
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
I am legal and I catch fish. I would love to see a few you have caught in the last - say - six months or so.

EDIT: Some fish from April 1st, 2010:

Old 01-29-2011, 11:29 PM   #30
Jonas Pilot

Old 01-29-2011, 11:35 PM   #31
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
I am not stretching the rules. I fish open water legally within season. Do you fish at all? This is the fishing forum, isn't it?
Old 01-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #32
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
10 characters. No.
By my count that's 16 characters, BTW...