Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
PaugusBayFireFighter

Default Looking for a "Lakes Region" business historian

I was searching a crawl space in the basement of my house and I came upon this safe. The original owner of my house probably owned the safe, but left it..I'm guessing it was too heavy to move. I researched the safe, which was empty , and found it was made around 1915. When I found pictures of similar safes online I noticed the only difference in them was the business name above the door. My safe was owned by "A. L. WHITTEN". I was wondering if this name rings a bell to any long time residents. I'd love to be able to know the story behind this safe.
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
trfour (10-18-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

The only business with the name Whitten I could find locally is in Laconia.

No hits on any local A I Whitten

http://yellowpages.staradvertiser.co...309p.home.html
Old 10-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
No hits on any local A I Whitten
[/url]
It is A.L. Whitten
SteveA (10-22-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
Chickie

Default Arthur L. Whitten

Here is a bit of information I found on A. L. Whitten.

Arthur L. Whitten (born 1878) married Iva Morrison Osgood on 11/29/1899 in Laconia. They are listed in the 1920 census taken in Ward 6 (Lakeport) as having four children (Raymond, Leon A. , Laura and Linwood J.) Arthur's parents were Joseph J. and Emily Batchelder Whitten.

I remember Arthur's son Raymond. He owned Whitten's Oil Co. and lived on Clinton Street in Lakeport. His mother, Iva M. is listed as a widow in the 1940 City Directory and was living with Raymond at that time. His other two sons, Leon and Linwood also lived in the Lakeport area.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chickie For This Useful Post:
PaugusBayFireFighter (10-19-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
Water Camper

Default Laconia Directory

I have a copy of the 1912 Laconia City Directory. It lists all business (with some great ads!) Also lists all people residing in Laconia that year with their address and quite often their occupation. I'll check it next time we're at the lake. My grandfather had a livery stable there and his ad is in the book. Pretty neat!

Sue
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Water Camper For This Useful Post:
PaugusBayFireFighter (10-19-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
PaugusBayFireFighter

WOW Chickie...I was only expecting someone to say something like, "Oh yeah, I remember as a kid seeing an old store on Main St., the A. L. Whitten grocery and feed store" or something like that. You really went above and beyond in your research...thanks a bunch. I'm not sure if that's the same people who would have owned the safe but I would guess, if it isn't, they would be familiar with a local business with the same name. The timeline fits the age of the safe and Lakeport is just across the bay from me.
We have a family compound with 3 homes. The house I found the safe in is was the first built, probably in the 50's. A third, my home, was built about 15 years ago. My pharmacist used to own the home I now live in, I wonder if he knows anything about the Whittens. I'll see him today.
Thanks again Chickie...great job.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Laconia Public library

The library have available the city directories that date back to the late 1800's. Not only can you find a listing of businesses in Laconia, you will find the entire population listed with addresses. Lots of business ads provide interesting reading!
Airedale1 (10-28-2012), PaugusBayFireFighter (10-19-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
PaugusBayFireFighter

I grew up and lived most of my 45 years in Waltham Mass. I became quite the local history buff. Waltham, "The Watch City", was the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution and I lived just a couple of miles from the Battle Green in Lexington which, we all know, was the site of the first battle of The American Revolutionary War. Being a firefighter in the city and having ability to inspect all the old mills and famous estates added to my fascination. I'm very excited to learn the history of the lakes region starting with my new home, Laconia. I've started by studying the Bizer chart of Lake Winnipesaukee, trying to put names on the islands I've been cruising through the past summers. Not to mention how important, as many of you have stressed, it is to KNOW the lake WITHOUT depending on a chart.
The region is rich with history. This forum is a fantastic resource and I'm very happy to have found it.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Chickie

Default Re: A.L.Whitten

If you have the name of the person who owns the house now, you can try tracing the deed back to its original owner. All deeds at the Belknap Country Registry of Deeds are now on line, so it should be relatively easy to do. I found a deed to a piece of property in Gilford purchased by Arthur L. Whitten around 1903. It was located "on the road leading from Laconia to Alton", which later was called Lakeshore Road.

Doing research into local history is so interesting and you never know where it will lead you. Finding something like this safe sets us to wondering about the owner and the treasures it may have held at one time. Intriguing - sorry it was empty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chickie For This Useful Post:
PaugusBayFireFighter (10-22-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
NoBozo

Default The Safe

I am intrigued by the name on the bottom of the safe door, as well as "Logo" of The Howe Scale Co. I remember the Howe Scale Company when I lived in Rutland, Vermont in the early fifties. Howe Scale Company was in business from 1856 until about 1961, and headquartered in Rutland. After 1961, the company changed hands more than once before retiring in 1982.

As far as I know, Howe Scale made "Scales", and I havn't been able to find any mention of mfg. Safes, although it wouldn't suprise me if they did, as back in those days it wasn't uncommon for a "manufacturing" company to manufacture all kinds of various things, if there was a market.

I'm just wondering, if the Original "Owner" of this safe was The Howe Scale Company....as opposed to the "manufacturer" of this safe. Did A.L.Whitten work for Howe Scale...?? NB

EDIT: The answer to my question is HERE: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Antique-S...le-Co-Safe.htm

AND: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Antique-S...scale-safe.htm

Read the question AND the Answer below.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default 1930 census

Shows Arthur, wife Iva and son Linwood still in Ward 6, Union Ave. Occupation of Arthur: merchant; fruit store and Iva: clerk; fruit store.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
Just Sold

Default Belknap County Registry of Deeds

On line deed records in Belknap County go back to 1955 and plans to 1860. So you can start there and then go to the Registry where all deeds are available.
Belknap County Registry of Deeds
64 Court Street
Laconia, New Hampshire 03246-1343
(603)527-5420 & 527-5421
Monday through Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm

http://nhdeeds.com/belknap/BeHome.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
PaugusBayFireFighter (10-22-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #13
Chickie

Default Fruit Stores / Deeds

Wonder if the Whitten fruit store might have been at Lakeport Square in the IOOF building. Know there was a grocery store there operated by Arthur Tuck and Samuel C. Clark, Jr. around the turn of the century. That space later became Bert's Market and then Rudy's Market (in the 40's / 50's). There were also grocery stores at the corner of Union Ave and Messer Street and one at 610 Union Avenue but those don't seem to check out as ever being owned by a Whitten.

All deeds dating back to 1841 are on line at the Registry of Deeds site. Click on the drop down box at the top of the page and select "Old Index Books" to get there. You can then select the Grantor / Grantee and years you want to search for.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
Chickie

Default More info on W.L. Whitten

Forgot to mention this in my last post. I found that Arthur Leslie Whitten died in Laconia on June 21, 1938.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #15
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

And I forgot to mention the Union Ave street number of the residence was #744 in 1930
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #16
Chickie

Default 744 Union Ave.

744 Union Ave would make it next to the Quimby Block, which is directly across the street from Lake Village Apartments today. I believe there is a small store in that location at present.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #17
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
It is A.L. Whitten
No wonder I couldn't find him..
SIKSUKR (10-22-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #18
Water Camper

Smile 1912 Laconia City Directory - Arthur L. Whitten

Sorry for the delay in looking. The 1912 directory lists Arthur L. Whitten as residing at 64 Central and lists his occupation as a painter. I couldn't find a Central St. in Laconia, only Center St. Maybe an old one that no longer exists? That's the case of my grandfather who had a livery stable at Gove Court, which no longer exists, but from what I could find, Gove Court was around the area of the once popular brewery by Saywer's Jewelry. (McDude can you help me here?) Hope this helps your mystery paugusbayfirefighter! Love your posts.

Sue
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Water Camper For This Useful Post:
PaugusBayFireFighter (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #19
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts

I spent many years on Squam Lake-early '70s; thru mid '90s. I got to know if memory serves me correctly a guy about my age named Chubby Whitten. His family as I recall was quite wealthy and had a very cool old boathouse (I think their actual house was high on the hill behind the boathouse) in Cairns Cove on the NW side of the lake, probably within the town of Holderness. It had a huge water slide running from the ridge of the roof of the boat house high over the water down to the edge of the roof right over the boat slips. I think this was at least a 4 slip boathouse. I've dived around it bottle hunting.

It makes sense that a wealthy man would have his own safe. I would call the Holderness Assessors and ask if they know the name. Squam is nothing at all like Winni in many respects, where perhaps 30% of the people own 70% of the land. I can't imagine it's hard to confirm if they still own on Squam. If the Assessors is online try a name search. If it's not Holderness try Sandwich just to the north.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #20
bclaker

Default A L Whitten

Have you tried a geneology search?
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote