Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
garysanfran

Default Cross country via Amtrak...

Gonna take the California Zephyr from San Francisco to Chicago and The Lakeshore Ltd. from Chicago to Boston. Got a sleeper roomette for the 3-1/2 day journey. Meals included.

Anyone here done this before? I've spent a lot of time watching youtube vids of the trip. Bringing books, movies, radio, etc. Even got some new PJ's and slippers...
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Gonna take the California Zephyr from San Francisco to Chicago and The Lakeshore Ltd. from Chicago to Boston. Got a sleeper roomette for the 3-1/2 day journey. Meals included.

Anyone here done this before? I've spent a lot of time watching youtube vids of the trip. Bringing books, movies, radio, etc. Even got some new PJ's and slippers...
Would love to know cost, if you're willing to share. Also, is it an open ticket or are there breaks/times to get off? (Sorry to go off-topic, but train travel has been in my head for a bit.)

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Would love to know cost, if you're willing to share. Also, is it an open ticket or are there breaks/times to get off? (Sorry to go off-topic, but train travel has been in my head for a bit.)

When I tried to make the reservation online for approx. $1,200, it wouldn't take my credit card...BofA security. So, I called BofA and then Amtrak directly and she got me the exact same deal for $829. I got a senior discount, because I can.

The itinerary that I have has no long stop-overs (6 hrs in Chicago), but Amtrak has all sorts of passes that allow you to get off for a few days here and there all over the country. The roomette has two fold-down bunks. However, for me, doing this with two people would be cramped. Even if it were my girlfriend, 3 1/2 days would be stretching it. She'll fly.

And not off-topic, because I'm headed to The Lake!
Old 04-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #4
Newbiesaukee

Default It sounds like a fantasy trip...

....this New York Times article might be interesting. Long U.S. train ride but not cross country. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/t...-by-train.html.

Hope link works...if not can Google if interested.

Safe travels.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
When I tried to make the reservation online for approx. $1,200, it wouldn't take my credit card...BofA security. So, I called BofA and then Amtrak directly and she got me the exact same deal for $829. I got a senior discount, because I can.

The itinerary that I have has no long stop-overs (6 hrs in Chicago), but Amtrak has all sorts of passes that allow you to get off for a few days here and there all over the country. The roomette has two fold-down bunks. However, for me, doing this with two people would be cramped. Even if it were my girlfriend, 3 1/2 days would be stretching it. She'll fly.

And not off-topic, because I'm headed to The Lake!
Thanks, friend--happy trails!

thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #6
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
....this New York Times article might be interesting. Long U.S. train ride but not cross country. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/t...-by-train.html.

Hope link works...if not can Google if interested.

Safe travels.
Good article...I thank you!
Old 04-02-2018, 05:11 PM   #7
kawishiwi

Default Everything you see...

...from the beginning of Ohio to the end of Iowa, that isn't corn, is soybeans. Might want to plan on night passage through there.
Rode "The City of New Orleans" from school to Chicago & back a few times, just the length of Illinois so no sleeper, and personally you couldn't get me to do that again for all the money in the world.
The western quarter or third of the trip I'd do but I would fly to Denver then get on the train. Good luck on your adventure!
Old 04-02-2018, 05:43 PM   #8
P-3 Guy

Gary, I'm envious. I recently finished reading Stephen Ambrose's Nothing Like It in the World about the building of the Pacific Railroad in the 1860s, and I've been thinking about how cool it would be to take that trip by train (or at least as close as you can make it today). Especially interesting would be the section up, over and down the Sierras. Please let us know how it was when you finish the trip!
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:47 PM   #9
garysanfran

I've driven cross country 3 times on different roads. Probably not again. Yup east of Denver it gets a bit boring after a while. Especially if your doing it solo. However, looking forward to not having to drive, but just sit, stare out the window, and sip my favorite adult beverage(s)...You can bring your own!
Old 04-02-2018, 08:53 PM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

I did some train travel in Scotland as a solo. The good deal was joining locals who were my tour guides. That might not have worked if I had been accompanied. We want reports, please.
Oh. It was hard to rtkew pix since I couldn't see what was coming up, only what was passing by.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:21 PM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Boston to either Orlando or Atlanta

We have done these 1+ day trips on Amtrak. We did a couple of blogs about our train travel, but they disappeared a while back, due to site upgrade I believe.

We have done a roomette and we have done a bedroom. Bedroom is expensive (we have an Amtrak CC and built up a ton of points) but has more room than roomette , including a separate bathroom. Couch turns down into bed, with an upper bunk that folds down.

The roomette has two seats facing one another. They fold down into the lower berth. Upper berth simply lowers down. It has a commode in the room, the cover of which serves as a step up to upper berth. Both units have a sink in them.

Meals are good, chance to meet other travelers at meals.

You will hear the train whistle blow long - long - short- long every time it approaches a grade crossing. You'll get used to it.

The swaying of the train i found relaxing, just be careful walking on the train while it is moving. Wear shoes while walking outside your room.

By all means bring your own liquor. If you use a mix (i.e.,rum and coke) may want to pack some cans too. Enjoy the travel, and remember, 3+ days in a roomette, a can of air freshener can be well appreciated, by you, and others on the train .

Have a great trip. Take pictures.

Dave
Old 04-03-2018, 11:58 AM   #12
garysanfran

I am enjoying these posts of other's experiences immensely and some have made me laugh-out-loud!

Looking forward to the trip...
Old 04-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #13
fatnoah

Quote:
Anyone here done this before
I'm late to the game, but I've done several overnight trips and one 8,000+ plus mile monster.

The latter was Boston to Chicago (via Washington DC) to Sacramento to LA to San Antonio to Chicago to Boston (via Albany). Total was 10 nights on the train. I brought all manner of reading material and electronic entertainment and used almost none of it. I got up at dawn, showered, and then watched the world go by until dusk, when I went to bed. It was the most relaxed I've ever been in my life. At one point, I realized I didn't know the day, the time, or even what state I was in.
fatnoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:57 PM   #14
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatnoah View Post
I'm late to the game, but I've done several overnight trips and one 8,000+ plus mile monster.

The latter was Boston to Chicago (via Washington DC) to Sacramento to LA to San Antonio to Chicago to Boston (via Albany). Total was 10 nights on the train. I brought all manner of reading material and electronic entertainment and used almost none of it. I got up at dawn, showered, and then watched the world go by until dusk, when I went to bed. It was the most relaxed I've ever been in my life. At one point, I realized I didn't know the day, the time, or even what state I was in.
I have completed the trip...Fantastic! And will share more when I get settled...But I did the same...Brought tons of books, movies and then spent four days staring out my window. There's a lot of big open space out there.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #15
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Glad to hear it was successful. Looking forward to more details, just as we al share Cate P.'s sailing adventures.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote