Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2020, 08:13 AM   #1
codeman671

Default Looking for a structural engineer or someone with a lot of framing experience

We are looking to cathedral a portion of our island home and would like an opinion on what needs to be done. One opinion was extra collar ties and a few beams to tie the walls together, the other contractor on the job leans towards overkill and wants a structural ridge put in which I don't feel is necessary.

Its a 30 x 40' single level ranch. Someone with a lot of framing experience would be fine with me, but an engineer wouldn't hurt.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

When we built our barn (24 x 32) our contractor was a civil engineer. No posts or support walls, one lally column in the basement, and no supports in the loft, all cathedral ceilings, he did a separate consultation with a structural engineer. We ended up with 10" x 12"x 24' beams 4' on center.
You might get good advice from a company that makes trusses and probably has a structural engineer on staff, or at least some good architectural software.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
We are looking to cathedral a portion of our island home and would like an opinion on what needs to be done. One opinion was extra collar ties and a few beams to tie the walls together, the other contractor on the job leans towards overkill and wants a structural ridge put in which I don't feel is necessary.

Its a 30 x 40' single level ranch. Someone with a lot of framing experience would be fine with me, but an engineer wouldn't hurt.
if youre in moultonboro plan on the "over kill" a structual ridge has benefits one of which is in most cases collar ties aren't necessary. however in Moultonborough our building inspector is by the book and a engineer will be needed
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:46 PM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post

Exactly how much of the 30' x 40' are you looking to Cathedralize?

If you looking to the entire structure that is one thing, and if you only looking to do a portion that is another. You also need to think about the Pitch you want to have on the roof etc.

I have seen numerous solutions over the years, all of which work.... bottom line is you have to know exactly what you want.... If you like the look of interior trusses that is one thing, if you don't it is another...

Sounds like your two contractors are thinking about the project differently. Specific desires really need to be understood before good advice can be given for something like that.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:18 AM   #5
jeffatsquam

This is how I did it at my house

Name:  IMG_20201014_081118179.jpeg
Views: 1254
Size:  55.3 KB

Sent from my moto z3 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2020, 08:11 AM   #6
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Exactly how much of the 30' x 40' are you looking to Cathedralize?

If you looking to the entire structure that is one thing, and if you only looking to do a portion that is another. You also need to think about the Pitch you want to have on the roof etc.

I have seen numerous solutions over the years, all of which work.... bottom line is you have to know exactly what you want.... If you like the look of interior trusses that is one thing, if you don't it is another...

Sounds like your two contractors are thinking about the project differently. Specific desires really need to be understood before good advice can be given for something like that.
The house is 40' wide by 30' deep. We are looking at doing the middle 16', from the front wall to just behind the midline. It is a 4/12 pitch roof, 2x6 ridge board, rafters 16"oc and ceiling joists 16"oc. Some kings in place from the joists to the rafters and some collar ties up high.

I am thinking if we cut out the 13 ceiling joists that span the living room (to be vaulted), replace with 3 new beams/rafter ties front to back in the lower 1/3 of the rafters, collar tie every rafter up high, and use rafter hangers to the ridge board we are probably going overkill. the spans to either side of the open area remain unchanged. Probably similar in appearance to what Jeffatsquam posted above.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:52 AM   #7
camp guy

Default Framing question

In your decision making process, Codeman 671, might I suggest that you, at some point, involved your insurance man, soliciting his thoughts so that you will comply with any issues involving coverage. Appearance from the outside is important, but a 4/12 pitch isn't very steep, so this invites a snow load, unless you always rake your roof.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 02:15 PM   #8
TownieRinker27

I still have the same need now. Can someone recommend me a good engineer?
TownieRinker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 03:31 PM   #9
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieRinker27 View Post
I still have the same need now. Can someone recommend me a good engineer?
We didn't end up with an engineer. Multiple opinions from contractors as well as Bill at Gilford Home Center. We ended up adding a metal roof as well so no snow load to worry about. We definitely went overkill.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:50 PM   #10
John Mercier

mroy@lavalleys.com

Mitch is in the engineering department upstairs at Middleton.
We own Gilford Home Center... so they would also contact Mitch.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
codeman671 (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 04:14 PM   #11
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
mroy@lavalleys.com

Mitch is in the engineering department upstairs at Middleton.
We own Gilford Home Center... so they would also contact Mitch.
I was surprised to see them sell. Good crew over there. Almost all of my material from our last 2 projects came from Bill.
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
The Real BigGuy (02-11-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 08:51 PM   #12
John Mercier

The business is not as fun as it once was.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
sky's (02-11-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 09:36 AM   #13
shifthappens

I had a similar thing happen when I needed to fix my place. Deciding whether to add some support or go all out with a significant change was tricky.
shifthappens is offline   Reply With Quote