Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-06-2015, 10:48 AM   #1
Sunbeam lodge

Default Driveway Resurfacing Project

I plan to have my driveway resurfaced . I received this estimate from a reliable paving company but I dont know anything about paving or "super Mix" or depth and stone size. Anyone care to help me with comments on this estimate.
The estimate is about 2 years old and was based on the cost of paving when oil was $100 a barrel. So the price should be cheaper. But should the stone size and depth be OK?
Attached Images

Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
gokart-mozart

Default Driveway Advice.

Call Ben Doliver 834-3778 stat.

He will tell you the right info and give you the right price.

As far as "eco-materials" or any of that other crap, remember the winter is six months long, and your new driveway has to be there in the Spring.

Best of luck.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:22 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

When you say resurface, are you simply paving over existing asphalt?? If so, any areas that have broken up or are badly cracked need to be completely cut out first or it will simply crack again. Also any areas where new asphalt butts old asphalt should have a super tack adhesive applied to ensure a proper bond.

The gravel beneath the cut out areas needs to be compacted. Then I would want two separate lifts of asphalt installed. The first lift should utilize a stronger 3/4" aggregate mix and should be 2" thick minimum when compacted. The second lift should have a smaller 3/8" aggregate mix for a smoother surface and less water infiltration and this lift should be at least 1" thick when compacted.

If your current driveway is fine and your simply resurfacing for whatever reason, I would use a 3/8" mix.

The term "superpave or supermix" is a way of the installer telling you he wants to do the job in one lift and supposedly the mix is a happy medium between a 3/4" agg mix and 3/8" agg mix. Don't fall for it, two separate lifts is the proper way to go when paving from gravel up.

Here's some good info for you... http://www.asphaltpavement.org/driveways

Good Luck!

Dan
Old 08-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #4
DesertDweller

Dan is spot on. If you want it to last you want a base course and a surface course. Base course should be at least 2 inches and the surface course should be at least 1 inch (compacted).
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Town roads built in Alton, and many other towns, have a 2" "binder course" applied on the compacted gravel. This after sub base drainage and grade issues have been dealt with. This sits over one winter. The next year, after a satisfactory inspection, a 1" "finish course" is applied. As has been noted, if you want it to last then you have to do it right.

Last edited by Slickcraft; 08-07-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2015, 01:37 PM   #6
SIKSUKR

Agree with ishoots comments. However I had my old asphalt removed, regraded and compacted and then just used the course binder. Although I wanted a fine finish, something got lost in the job detail and I lived with it. Its been 7 years and the paving still looks the same as when it was finished.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:15 PM   #7
Dad sold the C * C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Agree with ishoots comments. However I had my old asphalt removed, regraded and compacted and then just used the course binder. Although I wanted a fine finish, something got lost in the job detail and I lived with it. Its been 7 years and the paving still looks the same as when it was finished.
That happened to me with a "new" section of driveway... That was 20 years ago It is starting to be a problem now, but I was surprised how long it has lasted. Due to sunken stumps and other issues in the original driveway the whole thing needs to be removed and redone, one of those things on "THE LIST"
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote