Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default ...where are the boats?

Sure seems like a much, much quieter lake this summer, looking at the lake from my spot close to FL-3. Nowhere near the expected number of fishing or performance boats as in previous summers, and those two groups were the die hard, all-weather boaters who wanted to get boating most all the time.

And, the reasons why? Probably, has something to do with the closing of Ames Farm in Gilford and that other controversial Winnipesaukee issue.

One does not need a big boat to get out on the lake, as I go all over in my 16' - 40hp aluminum side steer, even out onto the broads, and feel safe with that most of the time.

It's just been very empty of boats so far this year? Any one else notice this? It just seems too quiet like it's not the same lake as the last 20 years?

I'm beginning to miss the sound of big powerfull performance boats roaring around a little bit, but not that much?
XCR-700 (07-14-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default State Registration is lowest in years.

Marinas have vacant docks. Many have new prior year model boats in inventory. Yes there are fewer boats. However, one may notice the launch ramps appears to be busier than ever.

My dock alone use to be full of performance boats. At one time you would have to wait years for a slip. Today, there are empty slips. Nearly two dozen slips are rented to PWCs when there were performance boats.

I also notice prices for 'condo slips' have came down quite a bit in the past few years, no market?
Old 07-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
meredith weekender

The lake does seem to be a lot quieter this year than last. We too have noticed the number of vacant slips at the marinas. Back in 2002 when we bought our first place at the lake and had to rent a slip because we did not have a dock we ended up at Ambrose Cove in Moultonborough because everyone else was full and had waits of 1 and 2 years. Not the case anymore. maybe the new law of allowing 6 people on a tube will help change things up, lol.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Greene's Basin Girl

NH Escape and I have been boating every day. We think that there are less bigger boats ( we reside at the northwest end of the lake), but more PWC's. I own a PWC and I just bought a large pontoon boat so I now use both. PWC's are everywhere.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Billy Bob

Default fewer boats

We spent the last 9 absolutely beautiful days at the lake .
Noticed the same thing , where are the other boats ?
Also noted that going to a restaurant was no issue , no lines

Perhaps it had something to do with the mid week holiday. Seems people will take a long weekend but not a week .

Could also be all the rules and enforcement have driven people to other locations . Not exactly a Live Free or Die destination .
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (07-21-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
jrc

No jobs, no boats, pretty simple.

I happened to talk to a few restaurant owners last week, they said business was up over last year. So who knows?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
NoRegrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
...........Perhaps it had something to do with the mid week holiday. Seems people will take a long weekend but not a week .

Could also be all the rules and enforcement have driven people to other locations . Not exactly a Live Free or Die destination .
We sat around the marina this weekend and had the same converastion. All the reasons on this thread were discussed but in the end the nanny rules on the lake seemed to be the most annoying and destructive to the desire to stay.

It is sad that the new American Spirit desires authority (expanded government) to be omnipresent and protect them from any situation they place themselves in. All in the name of safety!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoRegrets For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (07-19-2012), XCR-700 (07-14-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
Pineedles

Default Counter Point

Gotta disagree as far as last week is concerned. From my perspective onshore in Centre Harbor bay it looked like more boats than in previous years. Maybe it's all about location, location, location. Today, looking out in the bay it is quieter and I'm only seeing a boat every 10 minutes either arriving or leaving. This and last week, more PWCs and only one performance boat.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
BAM! You nailed it. Even the prime sandy bottom anchor spots have people trying to fight people's ability to enjoy the water.

Just spent a week at Moosehead Lake in Maine. What a difference in attitudes. Winni has been ruined by development.

This year we left Winni, most of season has been on Newfound but we've branched out and tried two other lakes. Wish we had done it sooner as Winni is way too restrictive and has very poor trailer access.

I can honestly say my leaving Winni had a minimum imact of over $5k in reduced slip and hotel rentals. That does not include food or other entertainment as we took a hard line in the sand to avoid the lake this year.

As to boating overall, since we will be moving back to NH we are seriously considering selling the boat and installing a nice inground pool at the house. Cheaper overall, not traveling to the lake, etc etc. Making much more sense.

I actually feel sorry for anyone who own's on the lake and is financially vested and gives up their flexibility. We came very close to buying a condo in Meredith and thank GOD we didn't.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (07-14-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
fatlazyless

Yeeeah Lawn Psycho: NH's 2nd, 3rd & 4th largest lakes; Squam, Winnisquam & Newfound all have some nice state boat launches while Winnipesaukee, the biggest lake, does not have a similar state launch area.

In the past, Winnipesaukee had Ames Farm as the defacto "state" boat launch, but that's no longer happening for the guy with a trailer boat and a twenty dollar bill that was good for a day on the water and a nice spot to access the lake in Gilford.

The NH Republicans will never-ever-never-ever build a new state boat launch on Winnipesaukee........all those over-fed, lazybones Republicans want to do is say "NO" and never create or build nothing that helps the little guy who wants to get out on the lake for short money.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
gtxrider

Default Bringing back a saying

As was said it the past "Its the economy stupid".

Anyway I guess the town ramps in Altonbay, Wolfeboro, Merideth are not cheap enough for some people...The state needs to spend money it may not have to add more free ramps the people won't use.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Yeeeah Lawn Psycho: NH's 2nd, 3rd & 4th largest lakes; Squam, Winnisquam & Newfound all have some nice state boat launches while Winnipesaukee, the biggest lake, does not have a similar state launch area.

In the past, Winnipesaukee had Ames Farm as the defacto "state" boat launch, but that's no longer happening for the guy with a trailer boat and a twenty dollar bill that was good for a day on the water and a nice spot to access the lake in Gilford.

The NH Republicans will never-ever-never-ever build a new state boat launch on Winnipesaukee........all those over-fed, lazybones Republicans want to do is say "NO" and never create or build nothing that helps the little guy who wants to get out on the lake for short money.
Even better is a family friend has given me free use access to the lake! With my work travels, this has been a good year to play trailer boater

Many people believe Winni is the best boating because it's the biggest lake. I hope they continue to think that

Had never been to Moosehead until last week. Blows Winni away but of course it's a long haul to get there.

Losing Ames was a travesty for the eastern portion of Winni. Nice wide ramps, parking never an issue, easy in/out, etc. Ideal really.

The access to Winni is a real issue. Very limited number of ramps for the size of the lake that it is. And of course many places have parking issues like the Alton public ramp. Winni is not really a trailer boat lake.

The single factor influencing boat ownership, IMO, is the loss of home equity for people to buy the expensive toys. Of course the gas and economy always play a part but I think the growth from 2000-2007 was unrealistic because of the housing bubble.

I've done the numbers and a pool makes way more sense. I'll keep the boat until the move happens.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:

Oh the big, mean republicans get blamed again! If the sleazy democrats would stop spending their time going after my hard-earned money, imposing "economy-killing" legislation and laws, and spend more time actually doing something constructive, then perhaps you might have free access to the lake. Take your boat to Ellacoya State Park and launch there - it's free (just the way you guys like it!)
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (07-11-2012), BroadHopper (07-11-2012), christo1 (07-11-2012), Greene's Basin Girl (07-12-2012), MAXUM (07-12-2012), RailroadJoe (07-11-2012), ronc4424 (07-18-2012), Ropetow (07-13-2012), Sunbeam lodge (07-19-2012), tis (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
samosetguy

Default Less Boats

In my opinion, it appears the number of boats recently peaked around 2007. Since then there has appeared to be an ongoing decline in the number of boats continuing into this year.

I assume it's primarily driven by a combination of the general economy and the price of gas (which I realize is currently a little lower). I really don't think access ramps have that much to do with it (again, just my opinion).

The smaller lakes are awesome for their own reasons but I personally think Lake Winni has it's own charm and history that no lake in NE matches.

When it comes to bashing politicians, it doesn't get worse than MA Democrats. They're all a bunch of hypocrits, criminals and tax evaders (e.g. last three House Chairman's are convicted felons, Kerry got caught registering his boat in RI to avoid MA tax, MA reps were caught buying beer in NH after imposing a sales tax on beer in MA, etc., etc., etc.).
samosetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to samosetguy For This Useful Post:
ronc4424 (07-18-2012), Ropetow (07-13-2012), Seaplane Pilot (07-12-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #15
spider22

I noticed on the south western part of the state gas prices have dropped a little. Maybe if that trend continues hopefully that will help with the boat traffic. I would think the lack of boats must be hurting all the businesses that depend on that traffic.
spider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #16
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
:. Take your boat to Ellacoya State Park and launch there - it's free (just the way you guys like it!)
Ellacoya State Park has a launch ramp? That's a joke! It's a very very unusual spot; a beautiful natural beach that's directly next to the incredibly over developed, pre-zoning mumble-jumble of Lake Shore Park.

Build a state sailing center there.....................NO!

Build a state boat launch there........................NO!

NH Republicans............................the party of NO!
Old 07-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #17
NoBozo

I can tell you where MY boat is. It's in the garage and has been there for the last two summers. It will likley stay there this summer as well.

The Reason: I do ALL my own work..including removing and reinstalling the Out Drive so it will fit in the garage. I'm getting kinda old and this is a physical effort for a 70 year old on a pension.

When the boat is on the lake, we like to ride around and look at the Fancy Real Estate. We get to SEE IT and and enjoy it..and the owners get to Pay For It. We've seen most of it. Anyone ever seen that really nice Antique boathouse in Senter Cove..?

My little Donzi runabout with a Mercruiser 350 burns 3.5-4.0 GPH. At $4 a gallon thats $14 an hour......If I don't Goose It.

Have someone else do the work..??? Been there, done that. NB

PS: We still come to the lake for two weeks but we don't bring the boat.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #18
surfnsnow

hey no bozo, any thoughts of selling your donzi?
surfnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
Hezman

Default Wolfeboro Bay

Boat traffic certainly seems down from prior years. Boats are usually stacked up two, and sometimes three deep waiting for dock space on a typical weekend in Wolfeboro, however that was not the case the past two weekends. The Fourth celebration (fireworks) had far fewer boats than past years and last Sunday afternoon, Wolfeboro Bay was virtually absent from boat traffic. I wish I had some data to back it up, but it seems that the number of performance cruisers and performance boats are way down from the past.................missing the ol' days!
Hezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
jrc

Our marina seems to have had a slight shift from cruisers to pontoons and bowriders.

Also I see a lot of new to boating people, buying older boats. Several newcomers have their first boat or first cruiser and it's over 10 years old.

I think a lot of people are selling because they hit hard times, but this lowers the cost for new people to get in.

Just my observation on a small slice of the lake.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #21
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Ellacoya State Park has a launch ramp? That's a joke! It's a very very unusual spot; a beautiful natural beach that's directly next to the incredibly over developed, pre-zoning mumble-jumble of Lake Shore Park.

Build a state sailing center there.....................NO!

Build a state boat launch there........................NO!

NH Republicans............................the party of NO!
That's right Less....NH Republicans, the party of NO! (NO MORE FREELOADING AND NO MORE redistribution of wealth! Time to cut the umbilical cord!)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Greene's Basin Girl (07-12-2012), MAXUM (07-12-2012), NoRegrets (07-12-2012), ronc4424 (07-18-2012), Ropetow (07-13-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #22
fatlazyless

Over at nearby Lakes Squam, Winnisquam and Newfound, the boat registration money was used to build three very nice state boat launch facilities complete with double ramps, docks, parking, and toilets, and all for no charge or free to use by the trailer-boaters. They are great state boat ramps and get quite a lot of use as would be expected.

Does Lake Winnipesaukee, the state's largest lake, have a similar state boat launch? No, it does not! In the past, the Ames Farm ramps were used like a state boat ramp and cost 20-dollars to park and launch-lood for all day, but Ames has been closed to public use over a local zoning issue.

Where could a good spot be for the state to put a Winnipesaukee state boat ramp that is similar to the other three? Probably, the only spot for it is at the Ellacoya RV campground because the state already owns the land and that spot is a beautifull undeveloped beach.......and no one wants a state boat ramp for a neighbor.....so where's could it be built.....probably no where....

Anyway......as long as the Republicans are in control at the NH state legislature......there's no way a new boat ramp will get built.....NO way!

Just say NO to a state sailing center.......no to a boat ramp.....no....no....no..... the Party of NO!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #23
BroadHopper

Default Winnipesaukee boat ramp

FLL,

It is not the Republicans or the Democrats that are saying no. It is the 'On Golden Pond' wannabees living around the lake that does not want boats. With their nanny laws and restricted access they are driving boaters away. During the great debate, I notice you were 'sleeping' with them.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #24
diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
FLL,

It is not the Republicans or the Democrats that are saying no. It is the 'On Golden Pond' wannabees living around the lake that does not want boats. With their nanny laws and restricted access they are driving boaters away. During the great debate, I notice you were 'sleeping' with them.
Either that or it's simply the economy.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #25
Lakegeezer

With less boat traffic, perhaps the water will clean up a bit in the areas that have suffered over the past 20 years.

Gas prices, the economy and the need to carry less debt have to be part of the answer to "where are the boats". Demographics is perhaps another. Is this generation of new parents interested in lake activities? It seems that the ones with kids younger than their teens seem to be having the most fun on the water. Maybe this generation of new parents just aren't interested or are less financially able to - or maybe there is just fewer young parents, compared to the era of the boomers.

The fishing population also seems to be down, which could be due to poorer fishing and perhaps speed restrictions on the faster bass boats.

I don't know the answer but feel sorry for those trying to make a living on the tourist business in the region. The lack of incoming tourist money causes a pull back across the whole region and impacts us all. Fewer new businesses, and more calling it quits. One answer might be for businesses to focus more on those who have moved here to work or retire.

It also surprises me how poor the marketing for the region is. The image of the lake was tarnished a few years ago when money was spent to create an sense of fear, chaos and danger for the safety surveys that led to the speed limit rules, but nothing seems to be happening to recover the image.

However, I think back to the Winni forum of the 90's and mid 00's. Many compained about the crowded lake. Well, that problem is gone, so we might as well enjoy the quieter spots where they exist, for as long as they last.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #26
MikeF-NH

Quote:
Does Lake Winnipesaukee, the state's largest lake, have a similar state boat launch? No, it does not!
I BELIEVE that Lees Mills is a free state boat launch that is a good if not great launching facility with a portal john and ample parking. Granted its in a very far end of the lake and requires a lllooonnnggg boat ride just to get to Moultonboro Bay and a "journey" to get to popular spots like Merideth Bay, Weirs, Wolfboro or Alton...but it is a facility that should be mentioned.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #27
Greene's Basin Girl

I am quite sure that the boat ramp at Lee's Mills is owned by the town of Moultonborough. It is a great ramp and it offers free boat launching. There is plenty of parking also. There is limited dock parking and a boat can only be parked at the dock for a few hours.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #28
Woodsy

Default The answer is... E all of the above!

I am (and I cant believe I am saying this) kind of in agreement with FLL... PUBLIC access on Lake Winnipesaukee is a joke! There are 1 or 2 poorly maintained "public" ramps with little or no trailer parking available. Everything else is pay to play... marinas or motels! I dont think that the state should fund a "sailing center" (sounds more of a private enterprise thing to me) but a well designed boat ramp with plenty of parking should be available! Lets not forget the state had to threaten "eminent Domain" to get the Squam Ramp built!

IMHO.. the reasons boat traffic is down is systematic of the decline of Lake Winnipesaukee as a tourist destination.... most of the motels have been converted to condos... this eliminates a constant turnover for the local retail/tourist businesses. The negative publicity generated by the pro-speed limit folks... its anarchy out there... its not safe... your children arent safe etc... once thats in somebodys head it doesnt easily leave. The economy sucks to put it mildly... people dont have the $$ to drop on expensive week long vacations or high $$$ boat payments. If you are worried about your job the toys are the first to go. Fuel prices are a huge factor! Fuel eats into your budget a little at a time every week.... so much so that you hardly notice until you realize you have nothing extra like you used to!

I am sure there are other reasons as well.. but these are the ones that come to my mind first!

Woodsy
BroadHopper (07-12-2012), chipj29 (07-13-2012), diz (07-12-2012), GsChinadoll (07-12-2012), meredith weekender (07-12-2012), Seaplane Pilot (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #29
NoBozo

Anybody ever taken their boat over to Lake George..? Now there's a place where it's unfriendly to outsiders. PAY to Launch....And PAY to "Register" your boat (as a visitor) for a week and put a registration sticker on your windshield....AND they have a 45mph speed limit. They don't care if you are already legally registered in NH, or anywhere else. What's not to like. NB
Old 07-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #30
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
The negative publicity generated by the pro-speed limit folks...
Agreed!

My two cents on this is that I have friends that would come to the lake for multiple weeks a year and have now stopped as a result of the speed limit. My real life view is that limiting the broads to 45mph limits is a negative to many visitors.

They were safe boaters and respected all rules but liked the lake because they could (in the broads) stretch their legs a bit.

Personally I miss sitting on the deck watching a ton of boats go buy (Fast).
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #31
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I am (and I cant believe I am saying this) kind of in agreement with FLL... PUBLIC access on Lake Winnipesaukee is a joke! There are 1 or 2 poorly maintained "public" ramps with little or no trailer parking available. Everything else is pay to play... marinas or motels! I dont think that the state should fund a "sailing center" (sounds more of a private enterprise thing to me) but a well designed boat ramp with plenty of parking should be available! Lets not forget the state had to threaten "eminent Domain" to get the Squam Ramp built!

IMHO.. the reasons boat traffic is down is systematic of the decline of Lake Winnipesaukee as a tourist destination.... most of the motels have been converted to condos... this eliminates a constant turnover for the local retail/tourist businesses. The negative publicity generated by the pro-speed limit folks... its anarchy out there... its not safe... your children arent safe etc... once thats in somebodys head it doesnt easily leave. The economy sucks to put it mildly... people dont have the $$ to drop on expensive week long vacations or high $$$ boat payments. If you are worried about your job the toys are the first to go. Fuel prices are a huge factor! Fuel eats into your budget a little at a time every week.... so much so that you hardly notice until you realize you have nothing extra like you used to!

I am sure there are other reasons as well.. but these are the ones that come to my mind first!

Woodsy
Well stated Woodsy - I agree with everything you said. My beef is with FLL blaming republicans for the lack of a good boat launch on Winni. That's absurd and is just a typical knee-jerk reaction by Dems to everything they see as a problem; around the lake and around the country. They should take a good, long look in the mirror.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #32
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Well stated Woodsy - I agree with everything you said. My beef is with FLL blaming republicans for the lack of a good boat launch on Winni. That's absurd and is just a typical knee-jerk reaction by Dems to everything they see as a problem; around the lake and around the country. They should take a good, long look in the mirror.
I'd further that by saying what's there to complain about? Is this not the utopia the democrats have been wanting for so long? Just wait till you see the wonderful results the lakes region will feel as the "tax the rich" crap really kicks into high gear! Think it's bad now, we're only scratching the surface.

I am in full agreement Winni needs a good "free" boat ramp. I propose that the funding can come directly from the state's welfare/food stamps budget.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (07-12-2012), Seaplane Pilot (07-13-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #33
BroadHopper

Default Visitor's Center

Those who volunteers at the information booths set up by Lakes Region Chamber of Commerce says the common questions among tourists "Is the lake safe?" and "Is there a speed limit?".

I posted somewhere on this site a survey by the Tourism Bureau that Maine and Vermont had increase in tourist revenue while NH had a decrease. That is why the state spent umteen thousands of dollars for an ad campaign "Live Free and (insert a phase)" A severe blow to our state motto 'Live Free or Die'. Bob Lawton of the Weirs Time wrote a scalding editorial on this subject.

Tha damage is done be selfish people. It must be the new American Way.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #34
AC2717

i agree with above, but Center Harbor's ramp, while not free or meredith not free (but a lot of times is because there is no one there at the ramp collecting the fee) are great ramps to launch at

Overall I believe it is the economy and the increase in price for hotel rooms due to lack of supply and bad exconomy and those trying to make up for short comings by increasing the price of a cottage. But the price could also come from the high real estate taxes as another example.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #35
spider22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I'd further that by saying what's there to complain about? Is this not the utopia the democrats have been wanting for so long? Just wait till you see the wonderful results the lakes region will feel as the "tax the rich" crap really kicks into high gear! Think it's bad now, we're only scratching the surface.

I am in full agreement Winni needs a good "free" boat ramp. I propose that the funding can come directly from the state's welfare/food stamps budget.
But what are all the people that need the welfare and food stamps going to do?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #36
meredith weekender

The negative publicity of the speed limit really made alot of people feel that Winni was NOT a safe place to boat, swim, kayak or whatever.

The fact that the waterfront cottage colony rentals really do not exisit anymore.

The Weirs being in such run down shape.

NO advertising or positive publicity for the lakes region.

All factors to which have led to the lack of people / interest in vacationing at Lake Winnipesaukee.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #37
spider22

The negative publicity of the speed limit really made alot of people feel that Winni was NOT a safe place to boat, swim, kayak or whatever.

What I don't understand is why people created the negative publicity. Is there really a lot of bad accidents on the lake every year and I just do not hear about them because I do not live in the area? I have never heard any actual numbers about fatalities from boat accidents every year. Does anybody have a number?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #38
fatlazyless

For kayaks, the Cattle Landing-Town of Meredith dock & parking lot seems to be getting more use by kayak day-trippers who probably like it because it is free and you park your car directly close to the kayak unload spot.

For some reason the town has no signs that say Cattle Landing Town Dock? Maybe they want to keep it on the hush hush?

I'm seeing more kayakers go paddling past my little dock than ever so could be they parked and unloaded their kayaks at the free-to-anyone Cattle Landing town parking lot & town dock? Who knows.........not me?

Could well be they stop at the Meredith Hannaford's to purchase some raisins & peanuts which sure helps the local economy!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #39
bclaker

Default Locks

The state just built a new ramp with trailer parking on the Winnipesaukee River in Laconia, closed to where it empties into Lake Winnisquam. Now all we need is a series of locks to get the boats up into Paugus Bay.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #40
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider22 View Post
But what are all the people that need the welfare and food stamps going to do?
Get a job like everyone else.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-13-2012), Seaplane Pilot (07-13-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #41
ApS

Cool Do Times Really Change?

Quote:
Sure seems like a much, much quieter lake this summer, looking at the lake from my spot close to FL-3. Nowhere near the expected number of fishing or performance boats as in previous summers, and those two groups were the die hard, all-weather boaters who wanted to get boating most all the time.

And, the reasons why? Probably, has something to do with the closing of Ames Farm in Gilford and that other controversial Winnipesaukee issue.
1) Rent an Ames Farm cottage—park your trailers—get reimbursed from friends for launching privileges.

2) With a July 4th holiday falling mid-week, it would be very tempting to have taken more than the usual full week of vacation—to about July 10th.

By then, we were hit with four consecutive days of very strong winds, when you "picked-up" on the lack of boaters.

3) Anyway, we've seen this before—in 2005—when gas prices became an issue—the topic...?

"Where IS Everybody?"

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?p=21338
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #42
no-engine

Default Negative publicity

Many factors come in to play concerning boat traffic on Lake.

Friends were visiting on Chesapeake Bay over week of 4th, and commented far less boat traffic that the home owners observed than previously.
Economics and other issues play.

Someone here posted about negative PR; I totally agree. We see and hear drivers comment about stop & go traffic on Routes 104, Meredith's Main Street and Routes 3 & 25. There is no justifiable reason to close Main Street on an August weekend.
People attempt to get from I-93 through to northern parts of Lake and often on to Conway and mountains. Yes, there ought to be some joint marketing efforts by Laconia & Meredith area Chambers, along with concern for local businesses.

Now, this weekend is a NASCAR event, and is there any coordinated marketing for businesses north of Loudon, other than the hotels where the big rig drivers stay after leaving their trailers at the track?
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #43
spider22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Get a job like everyone else.
what a great idea, I could not agree with you more. Now if you can just get everybody to think that way we would be all set.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #44
Sue Doe-Nym

Before complaining about no public launches on Winni, go to the NH Fish & Game website where you will find 6 listed. This does not include many town docks.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #45
jrc

Sue, the FLL worldview is restricted to stuff poor people (that own lakefront property) can get for free.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #46
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Before complaining about no public launches on Winni, go to the NH Fish & Game website where you will find 6 listed. This does not include many town docks.
Last I checked, when you launch you also need a place to park the truck and trailer. Sorry, but as someone who's owned muliple boats and used every type of launch, slip, valet, and storage option offered around the lake, putting a boat in the water is a huge incovienience. Mostly because you've got not place to park.

The fees I pay to register the boat should go towards access. Go launch at the Alton public ramp and tell me that's a good ramp with ample parking. You'd be wrong.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #47
chipj29

Quote:
Over at nearby Lakes Squam, Winnisquam and Newfound, the boat registration money was used to build three very nice state boat launch facilities complete with double ramps, docks, parking, and toilets, and all for no charge or free to use by the trailer-boaters. They are great state boat ramps and get quite a lot of use as would be expected.

Does Lake Winnipesaukee, the state's largest lake, have a similar state boat launch? No, it does not! In the past, the Ames Farm ramps were used like a state boat ramp and cost 20-dollars to park and launch-lood for all day, but Ames has been closed to public use over a local zoning issue.

Where could a good spot be for the state to put a Winnipesaukee state boat ramp that is similar to the other three? Probably, the only spot for it is at the Ellacoya RV campground because the state already owns the land and that spot is a beautifull undeveloped beach.......and no one wants a state boat ramp for a neighbor.....so where's could it be built.....probably no where....

Anyway......as long as the Republicans are in control at the NH state legislature......there's no way a new boat ramp will get built.....NO way!

Just say NO to a state sailing center.......no to a boat ramp.....no....no....no..... the Party of NO!
Governor Lynch (D) has been in office since 2005. Just say NO Governor Lynch!
Old 07-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #48
fatlazyless

http://Www.concordmonitor.com/articl...gle-to-drag-on

Squam, Winnisquam, Newfound all have state boat launch facilities complete with parking, double ramps, docks & toilets. Lake Sunapee is pending, so it seems that Winnipesaukee would be next after Sunapee what with the loss of Ames Farm.
meredith weekender (07-13-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #49
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
http://Www.concordmonitor.com/articl...gle-to-drag-on

Squam, Winnisquam, Newfound all have state boat launch facilities complete with parking, double ramps, docks & toilets. Lake Sunapee is pending, so it seems that Winnipesaukee would be next after Sunapee what with the loss of Ames Farm.
Please do your homework. Harilla Landing on Long Island is a state launch which does not charge a fee. There is also trailer parking available. There are other places on Winni.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #50
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Please do your homework. Harilla Landing on Long Island is a state launch which does not charge a fee. There is also trailer parking available. There are other places on Winni.
That launch doesn't look convenient at all.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #51
Ropetow

Quote:
For kayaks, the Cattle Landing-Town of Meredith dock & parking lot seems to be getting more use by kayak day-trippers who probably like it because it is free and you park your car directly close to the kayak unload spot.

For some reason the town has no signs that say Cattle Landing Town Dock? Maybe they want to keep it on the hush hush?

I'm seeing more kayakers go paddling past my little dock than ever so could be they parked and unloaded their kayaks at the free-to-anyone Cattle Landing town parking lot & town dock? Who knows.........not me?

Could well be they stop at the Meredith Hannaford's to purchase some raisins & peanuts which sure helps the local economy!!!
Maybe you could get the proper permits and construct a launch ramp and dock on your waterfront mansion's property. Charge a reasonable launch fee, and maybe even charge for parking. Become a part of the capitalist system....Invest your money and reap the rewards.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #52
MAXUM

Hmm, have you actually gone to the ramp on Squam lake? Sure it'd really nice, and yes they have a very nice faciity there, but parking for only a handful of trucks and trailers, once the lot is full the ramp cannot be used. So if you want to use that ramp get in before 7:00 AM during the summer or forget about it. There was plenty of room to allow for more parking but rumor has it (I cannot confirm this to be true but wouldn't surprise me one bit) the Squam Lake Assoc had a big part in making sure there was limited parking after it was clear they had lost the battle to all out block the ramp from being constructed.

End of the day, everything is relative, the biggest challenge to putting in a large lauching facitlity is that it requires a combination of decent shore frontage AND contigious acreage to construct a parking lot. There aren't exactly to many spots left on the lake that provide both those features, price points aside. Even if that all could be secured, as FFL admits and I agree, abutters are NOT going to want to have something like that next door, just look what happened to Ames Farm. Shutting down the pubic boat launching had little to do with zoning and everything to do with the neighbors saying not in my back yard. Let's be honest here, if you're shelling out all that property tax $$ last thing you want to deal with is a launch next door.

I do think that a good launch could be put in at Ellacoya, to do it right the state would need to put in a large breakwater and do some dredging. While I understand the idea of both may get DES a little excited, in the interest of public access this would be one case where I think it could be done in a responsible manner and should be at least considered. Heck look at all the money wasted studing crap nobody cares about spending some money to consider the impact of doing something like I suggested would be at least spent looking at something useful.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (07-14-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #53
XCR-700

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider View Post
As was said it the past "Its the economy stupid".

Anyway I guess the town ramps in Altonbay, Wolfeboro, Merideth are not cheap enough for some people...The state needs to spend money it may not have to add more free ramps the people won't use.
The Alton ramp has no dock at the ramp which is a problem for me as my wife is dealing with our young kids and I have to manage the whole launch/recovery process by myself, then you throw in the no trailer parking at the ramp and its useless for too many of us. Ya its good for some, but far from the quality of Merideth.

As for Merideth, no issues there except its at the far end of the lake for those of us who come up from the south and like to boat on the south end of the lake.

Wolfeboro, well good luck launching there, I struggle to navigate that parking lot on the weekend with my truck let alone hauling a 23' boat on a double axle trailer. And unless its mid-week or before like 8:00 AM you will have fun fighting the boats using the dock space.

Ames farm was the universal solution for many of us. I happily paid for the use of their ramp and spacious parking, and they were nice folks!

The loss of access to Ames Farm is a real downer. I have used West Alton and they are also very good, but parking gets tricky unless you are there early and even then there is a lot of pressure to get your boat out of the ramp area so the next guy can get through and thats when people make stupid mistakes like leaving the plug out, or not securing something or forgetting to tilt the motor/drive when pulling out. The ramp is one place you should be talking your time to make sure everything is as it should be, but when several other boats are waiting to push through there is a felt pressure can make it far less enjoyable and can impact safety.

Well thats one trailer boaters perspective,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #54
ITD

Less, you sound like a go getter, solve the problem type of guy, offer up your cottage for a free launch to Winni. I would fight tooth and nail to make sure everything got permitted including dredging if needed and parking, whatya say, put your money where your mouth is?
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #55
AC2717

i posted this in another thread, and I wanted to put it here as well

Why do people say public access to the lake with boats is limited:
at almost every marina on the lake you can get into the lake with a boat - irwins, thurstons, channel, lakeport, meredith, shep browns, to name a few
also at hotels such as christmas island. then you have all the town launches such as meredith, center harbor, meredith, alton, ellacoya

I can count in my head (i know amazing I can count without my fingers and toes) 5 in paugus bay alone, then over 10 around the lake, and I am sure I am missing some
Old 07-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #56
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
i posted this in another thread, and I wanted to put it here as well

Why do people say public access to the lake with boats is limited:
at almost every marina on the lake you can get into the lake with a boat - irwins, thurstons, channel, lakeport, meredith, shep browns, to name a few
also at hotels such as christmas island. then you have all the town launches such as meredith, center harbor, meredith, alton, ellacoya

I can count in my head (i know amazing I can count without my fingers and toes) 5 in paugus bay alone, then over 10 around the lake, and I am sure I am missing some
Because most people do not want to pay the $15.00 or $20.00 to put their $30,000.00 + boat in the water! Go figure!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #57
fatlazyless

http://www.concordmonitor.com/.../bo...-okay-struggle

Boo-hoo....another non-working link to this April 11, 2012 article on the ten year or so struggle to get a state boat launch built on Lake Sunapee.

"boat launch gets boards okay struggle"

Can you-all, someone, make a link that works......pretty interesting article....about the State Fish & Game Dept efforts to build a free-to-use state launch facility.
lawn psycho (07-19-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #58
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Because most people do not want to pay the $15.00 or $20.00 to put their $30,000.00 + boat in the water! Go figure!
That is what I figured and think it is crazy, it is part of the game, so you want free access to a state owned lake that others pay taxes on to use, hey even those with places on the water have to pay to get the boat into the lake.

Lake winni is different from all the rest, with its size, type of boating, and what not. you want it for free, go put your 25 foot boat in a 4 square mile lake like Lake Pemi or somethign like that, oh wait there is no ramp there to be maintained. Launch fees are apart of the culture, it is what it is
Old 07-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #59
NoBozo

In keeping with some above attitudes, maybe the towns on the lake should ALL have a Dockmaster to collect Dock Fees @ say $1.25 or so a foot for two hours docking. Would you go over to Wolfeboro for ice cream then..?

In the yachting capitol of the world, Newport, RI, there is NO Free docking anywhere. Want to go ashore..you gotta pay someone. NB
Old 07-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #60
SIKSUKR

You can't even bring a dingy to shore without paying?
Old 07-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #61
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
In keeping with some above attitudes, maybe the towns on the lake should ALL have a Dockmaster to collect Dock Fees @ say $1.25 or so a foot for two hours docking. Would you go over to Wolfeboro for ice cream then..?

In the yachting capitol of the world, Newport, RI, there is NO Free docking anywhere. Want to go ashore..you gotta pay someone. NB
In some ways I would welcome a fee for reserved docking. We seldom go to Wolfeboro by boat even though we love it there. It's at least $50 in fuel for me to go there and back. And if I get there and can't get a dock, then I'm hot, grumpy and out $50.

Now I'm not suggesting we make this change, I'm just saying it's not all bad. It would raise some money for the town and it would probably increase the money spent by boaters in the town. Boaters willing to pay a docking fee, likely really want to visit and buy something.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #62
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
You can't even bring a dingy to shore without paying?
NOPE. If you rent a mooring out in the harbor for the night you call a Launch Service (and pay) to go ashore......leave the dinghy with the big boat. I think there is one dock you can leave a dinghy downtown but you still pay something.

Kinda like the Jersey Shore. Everything is privately owned. The beach is FREE..but you can't GET to the beach without paying someone...even if it's only for parking. NB
Old 07-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #63
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
How much does it cost to use a bathroom?

Nothing: Because there are no public bathrooms....("Too difficult to maintain") I expect the visitors center has them but you have to know where it is...at one end of town. BTW: Newport has a TAX on Cruise Ship passengers going ashore. I think the ship pays for that though. We used to have cruise ships all the time, before the Passenger Tax...sometimes 4 or 5 at a time anchored in the outer harbor. Now we see one every now and then. NB
Old 07-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #64
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hezman View Post
Boat traffic certainly seems down from prior years. Boats are usually stacked up two, and sometimes three deep waiting for dock space on a typical weekend in Wolfeboro, however that was not the case the past two weekends. The Fourth celebration (fireworks) had far fewer boats than past years and last Sunday afternoon, Wolfeboro Bay was virtually absent from boat traffic. I wish I had some data to back it up, but it seems that the number of performance cruisers and performance boats are way down from the past.................missing the ol' days!
Take a ride by Irwin marine in Lakeport and look at the amount of boats drydocked and shrink wrapped. There are the boats u were looking for.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #65
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
We sat around the marina this weekend and had the same converastion. All the reasons on this thread were discussed but in the end the nanny rules on the lake seemed to be the most annoying and destructive to the desire to stay.

It is sad that the new American Spirit desires authority (expanded government) to be omnipresent and protect them from any situation they place themselves in. All in the name of safety!
No Regrets as you saw last weekend Stonedam was almost empty compared to a normal HOT Saturday. Janis said it was the same on Sunday, I had chores to do at home.
It was great to hang with you and your crew last weekend. I've got to bring the inflatable cooler for when were are anchored so far away. That was almost a 2 beer float over. Glad you refreshed me...
Old 07-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #66
HellRaZoR004

The lake was very busy today. I think more so than during the 4th week.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #67
NH_boater

Yes, today was crazy busy in the southern area of the lake.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #68
Bear Island South

I took a short ride to the Y Landing and back, it was crazy through the Bear Island - Meredith Neck stretch. Easily 10-12 boats rafting along Camp Lawrence, I prefer dock watching on the busy days, especially with the boaters that don't have a clue.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Island South For This Useful Post:
Bear247 (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #69
codeman671

I came up around 1pm on Friday to launch a boat at Glendale. I was surprised to see how many boats I saw in Alton bay under power at once. Glendale was full, hardly a spot to be found mid-day.

We stayed put yesterday as well to plan some projects. Lots of boat traffic out front all day.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #70
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I agree. We took a ride over to Meredith and Weirs and back through by Shep's and Bear Island and LI Bridge and found the lake to be as busy as we have seen it this year. The lake would have been very calm, but all the boat waves made it rough. Weatherwise, the day was perfect!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #71
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Very Busy Yesterday

I attempted to do some mid day fishing with a visiting friend. What a mistake that was! Way too busy! It's nice to see the lake bustling with boat traffic though. Guess I'll stick with fishing early morning and evening on weekends.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #72
Fishy Cover

Default Too crowded

To quote Yogi Berra: " Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded".

We tried to take our grandchildren tubing yesterday @ 4 PM and it was a zoo-- boats going in every direction, some fast, some slow, big wakes, some towing some not. If you are wondering where the boats are, they were all between Stonedam Island and Meredith Neck.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #73
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Saturday

Went from Alton to Lee's Mills yesterday with friends following us in another boat. A pretty good amount of traffic all the way to Lee's Mills. Anchored there for the afternoon, lots of traffic coming and going.

Had one boater who came in past Fl 51 throwing a huge wake, and then proceeded to pull kids on a tube at a pretty high rate of speed and making multiple turns and sharp turns. Did that for about a half hour, causing a lot of chop in that bay. He then left the same way he came in, bow high with a large wake past FL 51,

A short time later, a small MP boat came in on plane with its lights on, looked at our friends and us, then went down near the docks, talked to a unifomed person on shore, then left the same way. Don't know if he was looking for the tubing dude or not, but he certainly was in a rush.

Left about 5 and still hit a lot of traffic. No problems, just nice to see that amount of traffic on lake, even on the quiet side .

Going down Alton bay, we had a lot of company heading both ways. Great way to spend the day...
Old 07-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #74
ApS

Default Never Been to San Fran Bay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I attempted to do some mid day fishing with a visiting friend. What a mistake that was! Way too busy! It's nice to see the lake bustling with boat traffic though. Guess I'll stick with fishing early morning and evening on weekends.

Dan
Although there wasn't a lot of wind in the mid-afternoon, I attempted my second sail of the day.

( Saw member tis go by ).

After a half-hour of getting wet, beat-up, and feeling a little sea-sick, I headed home for some refreshments. Shortly afterwards, my BIL looked out across Winter Harbor and stated:

Quote:
"Wow, this looks like San Francisco Bay"
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #75
Greene's Basin Girl

We traveled in our pontoon boat from Greens Basin to Center Harbor yesterday. Although there was a large amount of boat traffic we didn't have any trouble finding dock space in Center Harbor. As we were traveling by Ambrose Marina in Moultonborough two separate boats pasted us at A full rate of speed. The MP went after one of them and pulled them over. In that area the lake is very narrow. I am not sure why the boats were in such a rush on a beautiful day?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #76
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Although there wasn't a lot of wind in the mid-afternoon, I attempted my second sail of the day.

( Saw member tis go by ).

After a half-hour of getting wet, beat-up, and feeling a little sea-sick, I headed home for some refreshments. Shortly afterwards, my BIL looked out across Winter Harbor and stated:
I didn't see you.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #77
fatlazyless

Today Sunday late morning, we delivered to a new owner, a 25-year old, 13' fiberglass sailboat with a very tall mast all the way from Fl-3 Meredith to Robert's Cove in Alton by tying it down piggyback style across the aft area of a 16' Alumacraft just in front of the 40hp outboard, and moving along up on plane. What a dopey thing to do, but it worked out real good with no damage to either boat...........who-d-a-thunk........nothing beats DUMB luck!

Anyone see me go by with a white sailboat and mast tied down on the back of the small motorboat? Hit a big wake behind Sleeper's Island that made the hull shift around which was a little scary!
Old 07-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #78
XCR-700

Talking Nice on the lake today

Pretty quiet today, everyone seemed to be driving well and traffic in Wolfeboro, Alton, West Alton Sandbar was lite.

Kids had a blast with their new tube, a RAVE Triade.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote