Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
codeman671

Default Looking to be an islander again

Don- Feel free to relocate this post if it's not suitable here.

We are actively looking to purchase an island home or island land. There isn't much on the market at present, and we lost the one we were going for. We would love to hear of stuff that isn't on the market yet. If you have friends, family or know if something coming available please let me know.

We are not agents looking to drum up business, we are past islanders looking to get back to what we love.

Feel free to pm me with any leads. I have to strike quick before the wife reconsiders!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:40 PM   #2
Lakeboater

I can't be any help but love that last line in your post! Good luck in your search and we hope you find something!
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:53 PM   #3
IslandRadio

I just put one on the market (mine - FSBO). Rattlesnake Island facing west (sunsets!), 2 docks (one protected in a cove). Very gentle slope on the peninsula.

Need money for retirement, and we have 3 houses (one in Denver where one of the kids and 2 of the grandkids live) as well as the house in Mass and the Island place. It was either Denver of the island, the grandkids won out

The info is here: https://nh.craigslist.org/reo/6215635149.html

By the way, not to hijack the thread - the final plan is to get a mainland waterfront place (probably not on Winni because the prices are totally out of sight), and sell the house in Mass. Live there in the summer, and Denver in the winter. Not a traditional winter destination, but the winters there are a heck of a lot easier than the winters here !
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRadio View Post
I just put one on the market (mine - FSBO). Rattlesnake Island facing west (sunsets!), 2 docks (one protected in a cove). Very gentle slope on the peninsula.

Need money for retirement, and we have 3 houses (one in Denver where one of the kids and 2 of the grandkids live) as well as the house in Mass and the Island place. It was either Denver of the island, the grandkids won out

By the way, not to hijack the thread - the final plan is to get a mainland waterfront place (probably not on Winni because the prices are totally out of sight), and sell the house in Mass. Live there in the summer, and Denver in the winter. Not a traditional winter destination, but the winters there are a heck of a lot easier than the winters here !
I think you made the right choice, on the flipside it is always hard to let paradise go... Hope your retirement is a good one.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Sometimes, folks who can't quite bring themselves to selling will lease by the season. You might contact some of the rental owners and see what you can offer or work out. If you can find a lease on whatever island you prefer, at least you'll be on that island and more likely to hear discussions from people who might sell in two or three years. I know people who leased for a few seasons in the same place, then bought it. The seller probably felt a little like it was still in the family as opposed to selling to a stranger.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
mneck1814

Have you looked at 12 Lockes Island? I saw this listing the other day and was sad to see in the description that the family is selling it after 118 years of owning it. It is a classic Winnipesaukee camp, hopefully the next owners won't tear it down.
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:14 PM   #7
The Real BigGuy

The "Hole in the Wall" on Little Bear just went on the market. Island Real Estate has a sign up. I think they are asking about 320.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:42 PM   #8
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneck1814 View Post
Have you looked at 12 Lockes Island? I saw this listing the other day and was sad to see in the description that the family is selling it after 118 years of owning it. It is a classic Winnipesaukee camp, hopefully the next owners won't tear it down.
Yes, we saw it a week ago. Very cute place with great views. We met the owner while there, very nice gentleman. Did I say loved the view?

Trying to find something not on the market yet.

I did see the hole in the wall come on as well.

Last edited by codeman671; 07-19-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:36 AM   #9
Island Girl

Default Two on Rattlesnake

One like a log cabin with great fireplace, the other is completely winterized and has a well. Both already on the market. Great views of the

Just mentioning because of the unique qualities.
IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #10
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Y...Trying to find something not on the market yet......
So, in summary, you want something that no one else knows about. I'm trying to figure the logic of asking this and expecting an answer, LOL
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #11
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
So, in summary, you want something that no one else knows about. I'm trying to figure the logic of asking this and expecting an answer, LOL
Pretty simple... someone may be considering selling and not have it on the market yet, or may know of someone talking about making a move. Some would prefer not to pay thousands in commission to sell a property, and a private sale would offer that. One forum member in this thread must feel the same way, he is trying to sell his property on his own and will be succesful doing so. It will probably save him $18-20k.

How many forum members are on here that have seen this thread?
I have had a few private replies already so i can't be that far off on my logic.

Still hard to figure out?
Old 07-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #12
codeman671

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
One like a log cabin with great fireplace, the other is completely winterized and has a well. Both already on the market. Great views of the

Just mentioning because of the unique qualities.
IG
Thank you. I am aware of those, but are leaning towards stuff a bit further up the lake. A few of those look good and are well within budget but I think we want to focus more on the gilford, Meredith and tuftonboro area. Haven't ruled them out though.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:09 AM   #13
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Pretty simple... someone may be considering selling and not have it on the market yet, or may know of someone talking about making a move. Some would prefer not to pay thousands in commission to sell a property, and a private sale would offer that. One forum member in this thread must feel the same way, he is trying to sell his property on his own and will be succesful doing so. It will probably save him $18-20k.

How many forum members are on here that have seen this thread?
I have had a few private replies already so i can't be that far off on my logic.

Still hard to figure out?
When you're buying a property the seller is paying the commission, it comes off the sale price. It's only worth what it's sells for so if the seller doesn't want to pay a sales commission what makes you think that he wants to give that savings to you. I could never figure this out? "it will probably save him 18 to 20K", that's not your savings.
Usually property that is being sold by owner is priced too high that's why they are selling it on their own.
What I've found as a buying is to look at property that has been on the market for a long time because it is priced too high and make a, take it or leave it offer, that you feel the property is worth. Why do you care if the seller has to pay a commission? That's not your problem.
I could be wrong but I doubt Island property is in big demand so I think you are always in a buyers market.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:41 AM   #14
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
When you're buying a property the seller is paying the commission, it comes off the sale price. It's only worth what it's sells for so if the seller doesn't want to pay a sales commission what makes you think that he wants to give that savings to you. I could never figure this out? "it will probably save him 18 to 20K", that's not your savings.
Usually property that is being sold by owner is priced too high that's why they are selling it on their own.
What I've found as a buying is to look at property that has been on the market for a long time because it is priced too high and make a, take it or leave it offer, that you feel the property is worth. Why do you care if the seller has to pay a commission? That's not your problem.
I could be wrong but I doubt Island property is in big demand so I think you are always in a buyers market.
If a property is worth $350k (keep in mind appraisals come into play when financing) and a seller would have to pay $20k in commission to sell with a broker then yes, a private sale at $350k does save them money....

I am NOT trying to capitalize on a private sale by trying to save myself money by a seller not having to pay a commission. I am trying to possibly find something before it hits the market to beat the feeding frenzy going on. You are incorrect, there is huge demand on the islands right now as there was last season and inventory is low. Sellers are getting multiple offers on properties. Take a look on island real estate and see how many are under contract, some for big money. The ones that aren't are either high up with lots of stairs which doesn't work for everyone, are grossly overpriced, or need a ton of work/ have issues.

We lost one already in a 3 way bidding war. The fsbo on rattlesnake has multiple offers, and I know of another that has multiple bids right now after being listed for a VERY short period of time.

It is a sellers market all around.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:36 AM   #15
Biggd

Quote:
If a property is worth $350k (keep in mind appraisals come into play when financing) and a seller would have to pay $20k in commission to sell with a broker then yes, a private sale at $350k does save them money....

I am NOT trying to capitalize on a private sale by trying to save myself money by a seller not having to pay a commission. I am trying to possibly find something before it hits the market to beat the feeding frenzy going on. You are incorrect, there is huge demand on the islands right now as there was last season and inventory is low. Sellers are getting multiple offers on properties. Take a look on island real estate and see how many are under contract, some for big money. The ones that aren't are either high up with lots of stairs which doesn't work for everyone, are grossly overpriced, or need a ton of work/ have issues.

We lost one already in a 3 way bidding war. The fsbo on rattlesnake has multiple offers, and I know of another that has multiple bids right now after being listed for a VERY short period of time.

It is a sellers market all around.
I didn't realize it was a sellers market for Island properties. I'm always on the look out for a deal but I don't see any deals out there unless they need work. Those are the properties I like to buy. Good luck with your search.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #16
ishoot308

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
I didn't realize it was a sellers market for Island properties. I'm always on the look out for a deal but I don't see any deals out there unless they need work. Those are the properties I like to buy. Good luck with your search.
Codeman is quite correct, it definitely is a sellers market! My brother in law has been looking for island property as well. Not much out there and what is out there is priced very high. Assessed or appraised value means nothing right now. Sellers are getting their price and pickings are slim! Can't get financing because property doesn't appraise?...doesn't matter, cash is king right now! Lots of cash deals happening right now and things are moving very quick!

Dan
Old 07-20-2017, 07:54 AM   #17
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Codeman is quite correct, it definitely is a sellers market! My brother in law has been looking for island property as well. Not much out there and what is out there is priced very high. Assessed or appraised value means nothing right now. Sellers are getting their price and pickings are slim! Can't get financing because property doesn't appraise?...doesn't matter, cash is king right now! Lots of cash deals happening right now and things are moving very quick!

Dan
I've never had an interest in Island property so I did not know this. It doesn't seem like the mainland properties are selling that quickly.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #18
Lakeflier

Quote:
Don- Feel free to relocate this post if it's not suitable here.

We are actively looking to purchase an island home or island land. There isn't much on the market at present, and we lost the one we were going for. We would love to hear of stuff that isn't on the market yet. If you have friends, family or know if something coming available please let me know.

We are not agents looking to drum up business, we are past islanders looking to get back to what we love.

Feel free to pm me with any leads. I have to strike quick before the wife reconsiders!

We bought 2 Whortleberry Island (north end) a year and a half ago, and we love it. Quiet for Winni, and pretty view of Ossipee Mts. #7 Whortleberry is available with Maxfield/Island RE, listed at $525K. Looks like good condition, very sheltered dock exposure. Everything we looked at when we we were shopping sold pretty quickly. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Lakeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #19
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeflier View Post
We bought 2 Whortleberry Island (north end) a year and a half ago, and we love it. Quiet for Winni, and pretty view of Ossipee Mts. #7 Whortleberry is available with Maxfield/Island RE, listed at $525K. Looks like good condition, very sheltered dock exposure. Everything we looked at when we we were shopping sold pretty quickly. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
That one is under contract already. The nice one on Dow is as well.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:53 AM   #20
codeman671

Quote:
I've never had an interest in Island property so I did not know this. It doesn't seem like the mainland properties are selling that quickly.
There has always been a large delta in price between island and mainland. Two completely different type of buyers financially. On the islands you can buy a slice of heaven for $300-500k, on the mainland multiply that by 3 to 5 times for the same. When we sold our place years ago on an island for $613k, the equivalent on the mainland would have been 3 times that.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #21
NH.Solar

Default Great realtor!

Codeman,
If you haven't already done so, be sure to contact Nancy & Doug Deporter. They know the islands better than any other realtors and walk the walk ...Nancy has been summering at the family island property for over fifty years now!
Old 07-20-2017, 08:05 PM   #22
jmk

As an island dweller for 45 years I am always bewildered that anyone prefers to pay so much more for a lake house on the shore. I'm a very fortunate person but still there is nothing that compares to the feeling of getting out on the island. Of course you need boating skills, but that's the fun!

jmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:27 AM   #23
Biggd

Island life is not for everyone. You can add at least an hour to your commute every time you come up.
When my wife and I were looking for property, commute time was high on the list. We bought in Meredith because it was 1 1/2 hours door to door but sometimes in the summer that commute can be 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
If your goal is to get away from the stress of city life it can be very stressful getting there.

Just sayin!
Old 07-21-2017, 08:12 AM   #24
jmk

Quote:
Island life is not for everyone. You can add at least an hour to your commute every time you come up.

When my wife and I were looking for property, commute time was high on the list. We bought in Meredith because it was 1 1/2 hours door to door but sometimes in the summer that commute can be 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

If your goal is to get away from the stress of city life it can be very stressful getting there.

Just sayin!

I can see what you are saying if you need to tow your boat. We keep ours in a leased slip in Wolfeboro and then it's a 5 minute boat ride to Barndoor. Works out differently for us but I hear where you are coming from.

jmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #25
Pricestavern

Default Ahhh - but so worth it

Quote:

Just sayin!
Our trip from Long Island is about 7 hours door to door. The people a few cabins down the island (Rattlesnake) drive all the way from Arizona! Neighbors used to come up from Atlanta. Island life is so unique it's worth the little bit extra time. It's like when you go to Disney in Orlando and you take the boat across the lake to the Magic Kingdom - you enter another world! The stress just falls away as you pull out of your slip and head out towards the island that awaits.

...but then I'm a little biased
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #26
Biggd

I have made that trip the other way to Long Island many times on weekends. Too far and too much traffic for my liking. To each his own.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-24-2017, 11:04 AM   #27
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Two kinds

Type one: Commuter
If you're a commuting Islander you need to think of stress relief time as starting when you get on the boat. The ride to the island can be a fun part of the day. We often stop to visit friends, if we see boats at the docks, on the way to camp. A Friday afternoon drink and hors d'oeuvres at the marina, or dinner at the Lyons Den means we're there. No lines, no waiting.

Type two: Island resident
You stay at camp from May-October(or two weeks) No commute, little use of a car. And a boat ride to get groceries or whatever is part of the day's pleasure, not just transportation.

You have to like boating for its own pleasure, not just as transportation, or to pull others on toys.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:26 AM   #28
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
If you're a commuting Islander you need to think of stress relief time as starting when you get on the boat. The ride to the island can be a fun part of the day. We often stop to visit friends, if we see boats at the docks, on the way to camp. A Friday afternoon drink and hors d'oeuvres at the marina, or dinner at the Lyons Den means we're there. No lines, no waiting.

Type two: Island resident
You stay at camp from May-October(or two weeks) No commute, little use of a car. And a boat ride to get groceries or whatever is part of the day's pleasure, not just transportation.

You have to like boating for its own pleasure, not just as transportation, or to pull others on toys.
Commuting can also provide views like this!Name:  1500913592813.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  75.8 KB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-24-2017, 03:33 PM   #29
lakershaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I completely agree! We have a 3-4 hour drive each way with a car full of kids and dogs, but still make it to the island most weekends. For me, as soon as we load the boat the weekend has started and you can feel the stress start to melt away.
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:04 AM   #30
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker View Post
I completely agree! We have a 3-4 hour drive each way with a car full of kids and dogs, but still make it to the island most weekends. For me, as soon as we load the boat the weekend has started and you can feel the stress start to melt away.
Definitely. Although my ride to the lake is much shorter, as soon as we pulled out of Glendale and rounded the first marker i always had giant sigh of relief. I will say that loading up and cramming 3 kids, all of our dogs and tons of crap on a pontoon boat always looked like a rerun from the Beverly hillbillies....
Old 08-04-2017, 05:12 AM   #31
goldfly600

Default Still selling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRadio View Post

We are interested in taking a look at your property, but haven't heard back from you. Please let me know if it's still available and if you are able to show it this weekend (8/5). Thanks!
goldfly600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:29 AM   #32
Kerk

Default island !

Want to sell But Too much swear equity vs capital gain TAX ! Hope to pass it on then they can sell it!
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:29 AM   #33
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfly600 View Post
We are interested in taking a look at your property, but haven't heard back from you. Please let me know if it's still available and if you are able to show it this weekend (8/5). Thanks!
Still shows it available online

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0_M47002-28121
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #34
beagle

Default it shows active under contract

on realtor.com
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:17 AM   #35
goldfly600

Talking Thanks!

Thanks for the help! I suppose that explains the radio silence from Island Radio
goldfly600 is offline   Reply With Quote