Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2021, 12:04 PM   #1
surfnsnow

Default small appliance repair

now that crown has closed is there any small applaince repair people local to moultonboro?
surfnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:33 PM   #2
BillJohn

Default Barrons?

I have the same question. Is Barrons Major Brand the only place to get stuff repaired? They have become very unreasonable to work with but they seem the only choice?
BillJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:33 AM   #3
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Jason Vezina....387-7288
Repaired gas burner on stove and rewired exhaust hood.
Did a good job
Out of Belmont
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:54 AM   #4
BillJohn

Default huge thank you to Samiam

Thank you will call today.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:32 AM   #5
TheTimeTraveler

We live in a very disposable society now and this is one of the reasons it is difficult to find someone that repairs small appliances. Even shoe repairs are becoming a thing of the past.....
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2021, 10:10 AM   #6
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I gotta ask: what small appliances are people actually repairing today? Microwaves, toaster ovens, air fryers, etc. are just throw-aways, though I suppose the range hood above might make sense...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:37 PM   #7
hd333

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I gotta ask: what small appliances are people actually repairing today? Microwaves, toaster ovens, air fryers, etc. are just throw-aways, though I suppose the range hood above might make sense...

Washers, Dryers, Refrigerators, Dishwashers are all small appliances I have had fixed.

I agree the items you listed are throw aways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:09 PM   #8
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd333 View Post
Washers, Dryers, Refrigerators, Dishwashers are all small appliances I have had fixed.

Ok, I guess I wasn't including those as "small appliances."

We just bought a Speed Queen washer because they're "built to last 25 years."

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:40 PM   #9
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd333 View Post

What's in the "regular appliance" or "large appliance" category?
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 02:04 PM   #10
hd333

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-3 Guy View Post
What's in the "regular appliance" or "large appliance" category?
I guess I consider small appliance repair anything that is non-commercial.

hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:21 PM   #11
DickR

My approach to broken appliances is to open it up to find out what is broken. The worst thing that can happen is the item is toast (even if it is literally a toaster!), and must be replaced anyway. Failure can be due to as simple a thing as a blown fuse near where the power cord enters the box, and replacing the fuse likely is easy. Things like a drum belt in a dryer or water valve in a washer can be bought online and installed DIY fashion without too much fuss. There are plenty of U-tube videos online to provide helpful guidance. Electronics is another matter. So many things have a circuit board governing its operation that a failed board may be the reason for failure, and that likely is not repairable. Still, replacement boards are available online for many appliances, but price is another matter. It may be no more costly to replace the appliance, depending on its age.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:22 AM   #12
BillJohn

Default Range Hood

My issue is the fan on a range hood. I think the fan is fine but the control is not working. Barrons came out and told me to order a specific part and I could replace myself. Part came and it was the wrong part....so instead of trying to figure it out I called Barrons back and said just come back and do the job....told me they needed an extra $119.99 to come back + cost of service call and labor, parts because we had gone beyond 30 days from the last visit.

Been a customer for 30+ years....they do not need to nickel and dime me. Understand everyone is busy but not the way to treat people.

So, can't throw out hood and just wanted it fixed.
Old 10-09-2021, 05:59 PM   #13
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
My approach to broken appliances is to open it up to find out what is broken. The worst thing that can happen is the item is toast (even if it is literally a toaster!), and must be replaced anyway. Failure can be due to as simple a thing as a blown fuse near where the power cord enters the box, and replacing the fuse likely is easy. Things like a drum belt in a dryer or water valve in a washer can be bought online and installed DIY fashion without too much fuss. There are plenty of U-tube videos online to provide helpful guidance. Electronics is another matter. So many things have a circuit board governing its operation that a failed board may be the reason for failure, and that likely is not repairable. Still, replacement boards are available online for many appliances, but price is another matter. It may be no more costly to replace the appliance, depending on its age.
I totally agree with you. I’m always taking things apart because I approach it from a “it doesn’t work now so the worst that can happen is it won’t work after I try and fix it. My wife thinks I’m this super fix all handy man but it’s really that I’m not afraid to try fixing things. As long as you take your time, I find that most mechanical things are fixable. A plus is that you really get to see how things work and you sometimes get to try your best “McGuyver”(sp?) repair!!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:26 AM   #14
mswlogo

Fix ‘em yourself or toss them.

I sometimes wish I couldn’t fix them because we have some really old stuff now

Just fixed the dryer again, for the 4th or 5th time. It’s probably 30 years old.

I thought for sure the pump was shot on our kenmore elite dishwasher. It’s probably 20 years old. Horrible grinding noise. You could hear the pump stop and start. Ordered new pump, it wasn’t cheap, like $300. I could not believe how easy it was to get out. 3 clips on the bottom and you lift out the whole innards out from inside.

I was about to swap the pump and decided to take the pump itself apart. Thought for sure that would be hard too and was a breeze. Turns out the pump was perfectly fine. It was a couple tines from a plastic fork. There is like a little garbage disposal in there that grinds food. Tines we’re sticking through a screen with a blade on the other side scraping against the screen. Didn’t need an o-ring or anything. I love well built serviceable stuff.

Purring fine now. Didn’t cost a dime. Except shipping the part back and forth. Luckily they had good return policy. Should have taken it apart first but didn’t want the dishwasher apart for a week. Nice having the parts you need ahead.

Like someone said. Half of it is being brave enough to try it. Often it’s way easier than you think. You often have nothing to loose in trying. I dreaded taking the dishwasher apart. It literally took 20 minutes with no blood or flood. Didn’t even have to slide the unit out or disconnect the water supply.

P.S. YouTube is your friend. If it’s DIY fixable, there is a dozen videos on it.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post:
persamp (11-18-2021), TCC (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #15
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJohn View Post
My issue is the fan on a range hood. I think the fan is fine but the control is not working. Barrons came out and told me to order a specific part and I could replace myself. Part came and it was the wrong part....so instead of trying to figure it out I called Barrons back and said just come back and do the job....told me they needed an extra $119.99 to come back + cost of service call and labor, parts because we had gone beyond 30 days from the last visit.

Been a customer for 30+ years....they do not need to nickel and dime me. Understand everyone is busy but not the way to treat people.

So, can't throw out hood and just wanted it fixed.
Sorry to hear that....we've had good luck with Barons.
Actually that was not a bad price. It cost me $200 to get my hood repaired by Jason but I needed more parts
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:16 PM   #16
bigdog

Default KitchinAid Refridgerator issue

I have a 15 yr old KitchinAid Refridgerator, 'french doors, with freezer on the bottom'.

The freezer section just quit on me and things defrosting rapidly. I was able to move things from that freezer, to the second fridge in the garage for the time being.

I suspect the issue with the freezer may be the compressor is shot.
After 15yrs work, the main fridge section, may not be too long behind, before it totally shuts down. I guess after 15 yrs service, I've gotten my money's worth.

Should I bite the bullet and buy a new fridge, or invest the money (or should I say 'waste' the money). to have a repair company come out to diagnose ?
I think I know yours answers....

Thoughts ???
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:47 PM   #17
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Thoughts ???
Really ?

Whirlpool makes most of the USA brands.
Whirlpool makes all Maytag now. Just a Whirlpool with a different tag.

GE Hotpoint sold all appliance divisions to China's Haier brand.

Fridgedaire is owned by Electrolux.

Good Luck !
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:59 PM   #18
TheProfessor

Foot note:

About 10 years ago.

I was at Lowes or Home Depot. Can't remember which one. But -

I was in the appliance section. Customer Service lady was on telephone with headquarters or whatever. Long conversation. I waited and listened.
It seems that a lady had purchased a new GE washer and dryer - who lived in New Hampton. There was an immediate issue. Something not working.
The CS lady stated that the store did not have any repair technicians that would do GE warranty work in that area.

To the end of the conversation. The store authorized to send a new appliance to the customer - as no warranty repair person was available.
The solution was to take the "new" broken one back and provide the lady customer with another new one.

I assume things have changed and GE does have authorized repair people today.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:18 PM   #19
DickR

Quote:
I have a 15 yr old KitchinAid Refridgerator, 'french doors, with freezer on the bottom'.

The freezer section just quit on me and things defrosting rapidly. I was able to move things from that freezer, to the second fridge in the garage for the time being.

After 15yrs work, the main fridge section, may not be too long behind, before it totally shuts down. I guess after 15 yrs service, I've gotten my money's worth....
There have been other posts on this forum regarding freezer failure. In a refrigerator/freezer, there still is just one compressor. If that has failed, the refrigerator section won't stay cold either. If just the freezer section has failed to keep things frozen, the problem could be failure of the defrost heater or timer, or perhaps just too much heavy stuff pressing against a panel covering the evaporator coil. In that case, the defrost cycle isn't melting out all the frost/ice on the coil in the time allowed by the timer, and the coil eventually becomes clogged with ice, reducing air flow over the coil. That actually happened to me some years ago, and within the last few years someone reporting back on this forum after reading my suggestion about exploring the problem said that this was indeed the problem in his case.

I'd suggest poking around in the freezer section, removing what you can to get at the evaporator coil. If it is clogged with ice, you may be able to do a manual defrost with a hair dryer and see if that takes care of the problem. If that works, but the problem comes back over time, then a failed defrost timer seems more likely. That could be a DIY fix.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:26 PM   #20
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:

After 15yrs work, the main fridge section, may not be too long behind, before it totally shuts down. I guess after 15 yrs service, I've gotten my money's worth.

Should I bite the bullet and buy a new fridge, or invest the money (or should I say 'waste' the money). to have a repair company come out to diagnose ?
I think I know yours answers....

Thoughts ???
Replacing your Kitchen Aid Refrigerator with any similar sized refrigerator at this point may be difficult. I'd bet most of them are currently floating on cargo ships off of the coast of California.

That said, I would advise ordering a new one first prior to attempting to fix or repair.

Meanwhile, you can try to repair it, and if you do get it repaired you can cancel your order.

I ordered a new piece of furniture back in January; it just showed up the other day, almost 11 months after ordering.

These shortages are for the birds!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote