Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2015, 07:37 AM   #1
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Power Packs / Jump Starter

I have of those power packs that will no longer take a charge. How do I dispose them. Local auto supply shops won't take them.

Local dump (Laconia) requires a permit from the city hall and a maintenance fee. The clerk claims they may or may not accept them??????
Old 06-26-2015, 07:53 AM   #2
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I have of those power packs that will no longer take a charge. How do I dispose them. Local auto supply shops won't take them.

Local dump (Laconia) requires a permit from the city hall and a maintenance fee. The clerk claims they may or may not accept them??????
What? Really? They always take my batteries. Maybe because its a power pack.

Take a look through here: http://www.yellowpages.com/laconia-nh/battery-recycling
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
gslpro

If you take it apart, you can remove the battery. It is just a 12v battery. you could buy a replacement and save some cash, or recycle the battery and toss the charging unit.

Gary and Diane
290 Fiesta Vee "Nauti Bonnie"
gslpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslpro View Post
If you take it apart, you can remove the battery. It is just a 12v battery. you could buy a replacement and save some cash, or recycle the battery and toss the charging unit.
This is what I would do. Charge packs are great to have. I'm sure its like any other battery where if you give them an old one of equal size, they can remove the core charge.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:50 AM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post

Broadhopper,

If you decide to replace it, check out the "Anti Gravity Micro Start" battery jump packs. http://antigravitybatteries.com/microstart/ Watch the video in the link, pretty impressive!

They are tiny, weighs only 14 ounces and will fit in your pocket yet powerful enough to jump a V-8 (which I have!). They also have attachments that come with it to charge most anything.

I bought one to keep in my snowmobile and during the summer I keep it in my boat.

Dan
Airedale1 (06-26-2015), brk-lnt (06-26-2015), BroadHopper (06-26-2015), DRH (06-29-2015), Happy Gourmand (06-26-2015), Rattlesnake Gal (06-26-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Broadhopper,

If you decide to replace it, check out the "Anti Gravity Micro Start" battery jump packs. http://antigravitybatteries.com/microstart/ Watch the video in the link, pretty impressive!

They are tiny, weighs only 14 ounces and will fit in your pocket yet powerful enough to jump a V-8 (which I have!). They also have attachments that come with it to charge most anything.

I bought one to keep in my snowmobile and during the summer I keep it in my boat.

Dan
That's pretty incredible. I watched the video, but have you actually tried it? Pretty amazing!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #7
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Gourmand View Post
That's pretty incredible. I watched the video, but have you actually tried it? Pretty amazing!
Yes! As noted in my post above. I was staying at my camp this past winter ice fishing with some friends. One of my friends left his interior lights on in his truck for two days and nights at Glendale. Battery was completely dead and drained when he got to it. Hooked up my micro-start for 30 seconds and she fired right up! Have also jumped a 4 wheel ATV while ice fishing, no problem.

Dan
Old 06-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #8
mneck1814

Default HHW Collection

Some batteries are considered hazardous waste and have to be taken to a Household Hazardous Waste Collection. You shouldn't have to pay yourself at the collection since Laconia is a participating town. The town gets billed based on how many residents participate in the collection. You can call the RPC and ask about your specific battery. If you don't get anywhere with it, PM me and I can put you in touch with someone in my office who specializes in hazardous waste collection in the western portion of NH.

http://lakesrpc.org/serviceshhw.asp
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #9
codeman671

One review online for someone with a V8 BMW stated it wasn't enough kick to start his car from dead. Some of the European models do start rather hard and require a lot of juice to turn them over.

I checked price on Amazon, much cheaper than the mfg website! I may pick one up. Love that Amazon Prime....
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:02 PM   #10
Happy Gourmand

Still amazed how they get enough amperage across those little cables to start a full size car.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:19 PM   #11
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
One review online for someone with a V8 BMW stated it wasn't enough kick to start his car from dead. Some of the European models do start rather hard and require a lot of juice to turn them over.

I checked price on Amazon, much cheaper than the mfg website! I may pick one up. Love that Amazon Prime....
Sams Club has a 400 amp peak power one for $49.00. That's a great price!!

Dan
Old 06-26-2015, 09:01 PM   #12
NHskier

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
I've got the Anti-Gravity XP-10 model and it started a 6.0L V8 right up. And that was as a test of the XP-10 with no auto battery connected. I haven't yet tried to start the 8.4L in my boat, but my guess is that it would work fine for a low battery situation.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #13
Newbiesaukee

Naive question...if the battery is dead and the blower can't work, is it safe to use one of these in a boat or is the technology such that there is no spark?

Thanks.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #14
jeffatsquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Naive question...if the battery is dead and the blower can't work, is it safe to use one of these in a boat or is the technology such that there is no spark?

Thanks.
In typical runabouts you would have the engine compartment open so the fumes would dissipate . I do believe that the item that the original poster was referring to can create a spark
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffatsquam For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (06-28-2015)