Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Lost & Found
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
blacksheep

Default Help us find Sam!

A dear friend of mine was hiking with her dog, Sam, a fluffy black and white border collie mix, in the area of Chamberlein/Reynolds off of College Road in Center Harbor when the dog, after a trot-about in the woods, failed to return. She searched in vain for several hours... She lives nearby, up route 3 towards Holderness. She contacted Holderness, Center Harbor, and Meredith PD's and was told by Meredith PD that the dog was spotted trotting along route 3 towards Meredith, but wouldn't meet up with the Meredith PD officer who tried to get him in the cruiser. Please be on the lookout for Sam! Contact Meredith, Center Harbor, or Holderness PD if you spot him. Thank you so much.
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
Chaselady

Is Sam neutered?
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
blacksheep

Sam is neutered. And Sam was FOUND this morning!! Poor guy - he wandered towards Meredith and was spotted by Meredith PD last night, but was too scared to get in the car. Seems he decided to return to the Chamberlein/Reynolds trail this morning and joined two ladies who were hiking with several dogs (ironically, looking for another dog, Sophie, who disappeared in that area on 11/17). Sam followed them back to their car and actually jumped in with their dogs! I guess one night wandering around in the cold woods looking for home was enough for him! Anyway, the women who picked him up contacted Center Harbor PD and looked at Granite State Dog Recovery and found the contact info needed to help him get home! Since he is the second dog in a matter of weeks to get disoriented and lost in the Chamberlein/Reynolds woods it seems there might be something distracting the dogs when they are off on a snif-about (a dead deer?). They get busy with something and then can't find their way back to the trail. Moral of the story may be to keep your dogs leashed while hiking in this area!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to blacksheep For This Useful Post:
GTO (12-03-2013), jetlag100 (12-02-2013), Lakesrider (12-03-2013), mr1drfl (12-03-2013), Resident 2B (12-02-2013), riverat (12-03-2013), surfnsnow (12-02-2013), trfour (12-03-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
Chaselady

So happy Sam was recovered!
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
blacksheep (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
blacksheep

So are we! Thanks so much for your interest and support.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
jetlag100

Made me tear up. So happy for all of you! Thank the powers that be
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jetlag100 For This Useful Post:
blacksheep (12-03-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
salty dog

My wife and I are also so glad that Sam was found. Several years ago not long after we got Sadie, the line on her run broke. By the time I noticed, there was no way of knowing how long she had been gone or what direction she went in. It's the most sickening feeling in your stomach; helplessness really. Joined by friends, we found her several blocks away a couple of hours later. The relief was hard to imagine.
blacksheep (12-03-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
HellRaZoR004

Check out the tracking system from Tagg.
http://www.pettracker.com/

We have a Husky and a Malamute that if off leash may take off without warning. Both of them wear one. They aren't overly expensive and provide relief in the event they take off.

As a side note - as the October snow storm was starting a couple years back our Husky managed to snap the bracket holding the run to one of the trees. He took off with a 20ft run attached to him. I was shaking up until the point we found him - we bought these the next day.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
blacksheep (12-03-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
blacksheep

This is great info, and I will share it with my friend Cara. Sam is not one to take off, but he is accustomed to being off-leash (they live on acreage) and typically comes without hesitation when called. There must have been something GOOD out in those woods, keeping him busy. After going through a cold winter night knowing he was outside confused, she is certianly considering a microchip, but I think I like this system you've introduced even better. We both said that, after going through the angst of having a missing pet, we have new empathy for PARENTS who go through the unimaginable horror of enduring a missing CHILD. It has me thinking of Abigail Hernandez, the 15 year old missing from North Conway, and her poor family... My prayers for her haven't stopped.