Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2018, 07:46 AM   #1
frank m.

Default New Eagle Nest

There is a new bald eagle nest on Dolly's Island. They appear to be sitting on eggs.
frank m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Exclamation ...... Canada goose vs bald eagle!

You know there's been a Canada goose nest on nearby Horse Island occupied every March to May by the same female since 2012. It is in the center of the island, and gets rebuilt every spring.

This female Canada goose is identifiable with its broken, protruding large center feather appendage. Anyway, this year, she showed up with a new male goose, who seems to be a younger goose than her old male who had an aluminum band on one leg.

Yesterday, at about 4-pm, these two geese and two eagles got into a high powered, up in the air, elevated, moving airborne skirmish, so maybe these two eagles came from nearby Dolly Island?

It seems like the Canada goose and bald eagle are a long time enemy and the geese will sound their honking alarm, and power up into a super strong, super defensive attack goose when an eagle enters into its territory.

In like 5-seconds, the male goose will transform from a chill, polite, mild mannered, calm Cheez-it eating goose into a high powered, honking attack Canada goose!

It seemed that last May 2017, that an eagle attacked and ate, or at least broke, all the eggs in the Horse Island Canada goose nest so they may have a history of bad blood here.

The male always resists eating Cheez-its and just chills and remains like a quiet guard, floating on the water while the female eats up 20-30 floating orange Cheez-its. For every 20 eaten by the female, the male has maybe one? In anticipation for her sitting on the nest for six weeks?

While the eagle has sharp weapons in its pointy, sharp beak and two talon claws, the Canada goose is bigger in size and is a strong and noisy honking territory defender using its neck, head, beak and teeth for a weapon ........ so, hopefully with the two islands, Horse and Dolly, about 200-yards apart, these different bird species can co-exist on their two small islands?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-16-2018 at 04:41 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:40 PM   #3
frank m.

My money is on the eagles.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:58 PM   #4
frank m.

Default Old news

And I thought I had discovered a new nest;

Thanks for the report, Frank. Please don’t hesitate to send in other eagle reports, especially about nest sites.
We learned about the Dolly Island nest in Spring 2017, and we are in touch with the island’s residents.
That eagle pair had 2 fledglings last year.
- Chris
Chris Martin
Senior Biologist, NH Audubon
Old 04-17-2018, 06:19 AM   #5
fatlazyless

The Horse Island Canada goose nest is located on the ground, in the center of the very small island, gets rebuilt every spring, and has been there since 2012.
While the female sits on the eggs in the nest, the male would half sleep-rest, take up a listen, guard, position, on one of several spots; a big dry rock or on a wood dock within about 100-yds of the nest.

When the eagle is flying the area, the local Canada geese have an alarm system. The geese will honk in a certain way that immediately seems to get the attention of geese from a mile or more away, across the water. The resting male can be observed to perk up, get up off the dock, and vigorously look out to the distance, and will honk back in reply.

The large male with the aluminum band imprinted with a long number starting with 3 did not show up this year, and the female showed up with a new male. Is possible the old male with the band was killed by the eagles last summer? Eagles probably look at a Canada goose same way how a black bear looks at a hereford steer.

Have never had the opportunity to toss a Cheez-it out 30' to a bald eagle, because the eagles are elusive and always stay far away, unlike the Canada geese who will waddle into the yard looking for Cheez-its.

Like, where-o-where are those Cheez-its ........ feed me!

Here's a super video of a bald eagle attacking and eating a Canada goose: (youtube: Need to find video, gotta run, later today). To an eagle's eyes, the Canada goose looks like lunch!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-17-2018 at 06:51 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
ApS

Cool When Altitude Wins over Attitude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
The Horse Island Canada goose nest is located on the ground, in the center of the very small island, gets rebuilt every spring, and has been there since 2012.
While the female sits on the eggs in the nest, the male would half sleep-rest, take up a listen, guard, position, on one of several spots; a big dry rock or on a wood dock within about 100-yds of the nest.

When the eagle is flying the area, the local Canada geese have an alarm system. The geese will honk in a certain way that immediately seems to get the attention of geese from a mile or more away, across the water. The resting male can be observed to perk up, get up off the dock, and vigorously look out to the distance, and will honk back in reply.

The large male with the aluminum band imprinted with a long number starting with 3 did not show up this year, and the female showed up with a new male. Is possible the old male with the band was killed by the eagles last summer? Eagles probably look at a Canada goose same way how a black bear looks at a hereford steer.

Have never had the opportunity to toss a Cheez-it out 30' to a bald eagle, because the eagles are elusive and always stay far away, unlike the Canada geese who will waddle into the yard looking for Cheez-its.

Like, where-o-where are those Cheez-its ........ feed me!

Here's a super video of a bald eagle attacking and eating a Canada goose: (youtube: Need to find video, gotta run, later today). To an eagle's eyes, the Canada goose looks like lunch!
There's also a video of a Bald Eagle snatching a rabbit from the jaws of a fox!

(Courtesy of FOX News—yes, really!)

Fox let go at 20-feet and climbing...

Old 05-24-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
noreast

Conventional wisdom is that a Bald Eagles can carry about half it's weight, which would be somewhere around 6 LB's max. I've always thought that they could do more situationally but a fox should be out of it's range. 20' seems a bit much, but maybe with it's momentum it could do it?
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:30 PM   #8
noreast

OK, I just saw the video, Seems to be a small fox and it was nowhere near 20' of the ground and was losing altitude as the fox kept re positioning. But pretty cool none the less.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #9
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
There's also a video of a Bald Eagle snatching a rabbit from the jaws of a fox!
I think this is the video. Yikes:

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-24-2018), FlyingScot (05-24-2018), Grant (06-01-2018), noreast (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 03:53 PM   #10
noreast

It's amazing that it got all rabbit at full speed like that. Could have ripped the foxes face off.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:17 AM   #11
ApS

Exclamation "Fake News"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
OK, I just saw the video, Seems to be a small fox and it was nowhere near 20' of the ground and was losing altitude as the fox kept re positioning. But pretty cool none the less.
Your reply had me revisit the video—and there are several versions. Some have improved the lighting, which had me question the frame below.

If you check a frame where the battle appears above the brighter horizon, the eagle has switched talons—holding the rabbit in her right talon, and the fox with her left talon. At this point, the fox really begins to struggle! The rabbit is tucked in tight.

The eagle, who seemed to have planned on only one dinner, loses altitude and drops the fox at about 3-4 feet above the ground. Did anybody see the second fox in the video?

I've concluded that the fox could not have been "unharmed" and the rabbit was never dropped. I didn't note which of the sites produced the opinion below, but it was "fake news".

IMHO.

Attached Images

Old 05-29-2018, 04:49 PM   #12
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

I can't find instructions on how to start a new thread! Help!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:30 PM   #13
noreast

click on "Winni Wildlife" you should see it a the top of the other posts.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:31 AM   #14
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
You need to go to the "forums" page.On the top bar here you will see links.It is located right next to home on the left.Once there you need to pick a category.When you do that scroll down to the bottom of that page and you will find a "New Thread" button.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:18 AM   #15
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
Just to simplify this: When you view a forum list of threads there is a "New Thread" button at the top and bottom of the page.

Example: https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...splay.php?f=16

When you view a list of posts within a thread there is a "Post Reply" button at the top and bottom of the page.

Example: https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=23335
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #16
hapeboatr

Default Baby Eagle

Saw a baby eagle in the Blueberry Island (aka Minister Island) nest yesterday
hapeboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hapeboatr For This Useful Post:
bostique (06-07-2018)