Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2019, 05:08 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Invasive species sonar image

I thought I had posted this before but apparently not.

This side scan sonar shot in Paugus Bay shows a massive area packed with I believe, Milfoil. This stuff is so prolific it shows up in the water column (the black area down the middle of the image) as fine hairs.

It's tall enough up into the water column in the left channel image (at the arrow) to create a sonar shadow. Shadows are created when the sonar wave hits something and bounces back, not making it past whatever it hits, thus the shadow. So it's tall enough to generate shadows. If I had to guess I would estimate the height of the Milfoil here to be 6 feet high or more.

What amazed me was the dramatic cut-off where the invasive boundary line just stops.

I've encountered this diving in Paugus of course and you can't swim through it. You go over it or around it.

Point being, when conservation organizations etc. ask you to flush your bilge, wash down your boat & trailer, dry your anchor well out, clean invasives off the anchor and anchor line etc. they have really good reasons for doing so.

Invasives in general are a nightmare and it's only one of a number of invasives. Please help keep the lake as healthy as possible and do what you know needs to be done.
Attached Images

Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
Flylady (07-10-2019), Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc (07-09-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
stingray

Where about in Paugus Bay?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:58 PM   #3
greeleyhill

Default Right about here?

https://www.google.com/search?q=N+43...hrome&ie=UTF-8
greeleyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:29 PM   #4
stingray

Maybe you are suggesting the side scan sonar was taken from GPS location N 43 34.0044 W 71 27.4984?

Unfortunate if true since Navionics app claims it is ~23 ft deep. I have read milfoil is a shallow water problem.

Regardless, point well stated “do what you know needs to be done”

The Paugus Bay Watershed Association is having a fund raiser to help manage the milfoil problem. You know you need to go to support this effort.

Event
Aug 29, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM
The Margate Resort, 76 Lake St, Laconia, NH 03246, USA
Jimmy Dunn brings his Lake Winnipesaukee Whale Watch tour to the Pavilion at the Margate Resort!

The Following User Says Thank You to stingray For This Useful Post:
beantownbaby (07-14-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #5
ApS

Default Native or Exotic?

How is it known that this is exotic milfoil, when there is a native milfoil?

(That is difficult to differentiate).

?
stingray (07-08-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #6
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeleyhill View Post
It's not new its been there for many many years. Used to fish there all the time years ago when Burger King was still around. Sadly its not the great fishing spot that it used to be years ago.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:26 PM   #7
stingray

It would be great if you could document a positive change through something like GPS locations and side scan sonar after we all support this effort
https://www.mypaugusbay.com/

Old 07-09-2019, 09:13 AM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
How is it known that this is exotic milfoil, when there is a native milfoil?
(That is difficult to differentiate).?
DES runs training sessions for lake associations, weed watchers etc. They do not encourage self treatment, or weed pulling by untrained divers. You can mail a sample to Amy Smagula at DES, 29 Hazen Dr, Concord, NH 03301. if it is invasive exotic variable milfoil, DES will confirm and map the infestation and work with local organizations to develop a master plan to eliminate or control the infestation.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #9
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Not sure where on Paugus this investigation is but South Down and Long Bay completed milfoil removal project three years ago off the 3 beaches. Hope it did not grow back in this area so quickly.
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:15 AM   #10
salesguy77

Default Milfoil- Paugus Bay

Great information. Thank you also for bringing our fundraiser up. We are going to start a big push to sell tickets next week. City Budget is approximately $30,000 for milfoil eradication. We are having Paugus treated with ProcellaCOR in three locations this summer. DES surveys and puts the plan together on areas that need to be treated. Cost to treat with ProcellaCOR is $38,874. We are also using DASH (diver assisted suction harvesting) at a cost of $19,600. The state has given us grant money totally $14,618. We are going to be short approximately $13,856. Milfoil is a problem for everyone. Once a piece of the plant breaks off, it will float to a new location and start to grow again. We started the volunteer non-profit to raise money to offset the cost. The budget money the city has will also support Winnisquam and Opeechee to some level. We have a website www.mypaugusbay.org where donations can be made. We are a true 501 c 3 organization. I am actually personally paying for the website among other things.

I tried to upload 3 maps. One shows the ProcellaCOR treatment area for 2019, one shows the DASH target areas for 2019, and the third is a map that shows all areas where milfoil has been found. I appreciate any and all help!

comedy show tickets available at www.jimmydunnwinni.eventbrite.com.

Rich Tilton
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Paugus Bay Map for 2019 Herbicide Bids.pdf (413.4 KB, 156 views)
File Type: pdf Paugus Bay Map for 2019 Diver Bids.pdf (607.1 KB, 188 views)
Old 07-12-2019, 05:15 AM   #11
salesguy77

Default Milfoil- Paugus Bay

I tried to reply to this yesterday but my post never made it. Thank you for bringing up this topic. Unfortunately milfoil cannot be eliminated, it can only be managed. We've created a 501 c 3 non profit to raise money to help with the cost of annual milfoil treatment. It is 100% volunteer and no money is paid to any of the board members. In 2019 $38,874 will be spent on ProcellaCOR and $19,600 will be spent on DASH. The City of Laconia has approximately $30,000 in their budget for milfoil. The State of NH has given us $14,618 in grant money. That leaves $13,856 that needs to raised to cover the balance. I've tried to upload the maps. I'm getting a message that I have exceeded my quota.

Donations can be made via our website, www.mypaugusbay.org. Also tickets to the comedy show can be purchased at www.jimmydunnwinn.eventbrite.com.

Thank you!

Rich Tilton