Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2018, 08:13 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Planning day boat trip to Moultonboro

I'm already planing day trip to Moultonboro Bay for this summer.

I've only been up the North end of the lake, a few times by boat, but that was years ago !
I do remember lot's of obstacles, markers, rocks up in that area, and would like Forum thoughts on best route to follow. I'll be starting trip from the Gilford town docks. FYI, I don't have a GPS on my boat, but just use my compass and Bizer map.

While up there I'm looking for a place to stop for lunch, so suggestions for that would be greatly appreciated !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
KPW

Over the broads, through the Barber Pole, through the graveyard. The only place for food at that end of the lake is Pier 19. They have a take out window and Roadies fried chicken.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
MikeF-NH

Wow...only Bizer and compass with no experience in that area would definitely be a challenge but people did it for generations before GPS with Navionics came to play. Consider (if you have a smart phone), picking up the Navionics app in conjunction with your phone GPS will give you very valuable assistance in navigation. Coordinate that will your Bizer and you will know where you are.

While the following route is not necessarily one I would take, it would be easiest and perhaps least risky without GPS assistance.
1.) Leave the town docks and follow western shoreline past Varney Point and to the outside of Lockes Island (eastern shore of the island). I do this to avoid no wake zone b/t Lockes and main land and a few hazards past the south side of Lockes. BEWARE of the Witches...if you are not familiar...find them on your Bizer.
2.) go around the south shore of Welches island. There is one hazard that sticks out a bit at the southeast point of the island...just stay about a mile off shore and you are fine.
3.) Go directly across the Broads approx. northeast heading to the southern shore of Sandy island and turn north avoiding 3 markers on the east shore of Sandy.
4.) now you can either go through the pass b/t Little Bear and Long islands and stay on plane or take the short cut through Hole in the Wall by heading northeast after you pass Ragged island. This is a no wake zone.
5.) coming out of Hole in the Wall, head north east to the water between Chases Point and Whorteberry. Watch the markers on the east shore...they can be confusing. I would recommend not taking the short cut through The Graveyard to a first timer with no GPS and instead go east of Melvin island and west of Chases island.
6.) as soon as you pass Chases, you can set a bearing toward the distant church in Melvin Village and you are basically in Melvin Bay portion of Moultonboro Bay. From there decide on your destination. If heading up toware Lees Mills etc...there is loads of hazard and (though I have a lot of experience in the area)...there is reason to proceed cautiously and watch for markers in the middle 100% of the time.

The alternative path is going through Cattle landing area to the channel between Pine and Bear then cross to the north side of 5 Mile island and go under the Long Island bridge at Trexlars then through the Six Pack but without GPS, I think option 1 is best. This second option is better if winds exceed 15 mph.

As for lunch...if you head east after passing Chase Island into 19 Mile Bay...there is public docks and 19 Mile Bay grocery which has a good lunch counter and what my kids call "the best chicken tenders in the world" as well as an ice cream stand. Porta potty at the docks too...just in case...no public flush toilets. Other than Wolfboro that is the only lunch place on that side of the lake that is walking distance from the water. I would almost go to Center Harbor for lunch rather than Wolfboro if I were on the north end just because its less busy in the summer. A few choices there and the Canoe will sent a "shuttle" to pick you up if you call them.

Be careful, use your head, don't assume the guy you follow knows what he's doing. People on this forum have often offered a guided tour for people who want to learn the area so of that offer comes - TAKE IT!
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
bigdog

Thanks MikeF-NH, for the detailed route !

As I am not very familiar with this area of the lake, I will definitely take your advice and take to 'safe' route.

After cruising at that end of the lake, I may very well, head into Center Harbor,
to lunch at Canoe ! Lobster Mac'N Cheese. Yum !!!!
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
FlyingScot

Picking up where Mike left off in #6--after Melvin Village as you approach the Twin Islands, the Moultonboro side of the bay is much easier to navigate than the Tuftonboro side. In other words, keep the Twin Islands on your right as you head toward Less Mill.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #6
Rattletrap

I've made this trip numerous times now (Although i do have a GPS) I make the trip now without it usually to Hanson's Cove. I always come in by the Barber Pole and go around the Grave Yard by going east then north around Melvin Island. The route isn't to bad just take your time and find your sticks you'll be heading north most of the trip "IN" so as long as the red sticks are on your starboard and black on your port you should be good (then reverse on the way out) The spot i always seem to get tripped up on is heading back "out" (South) FL-12 always seems to come out of no where (See pic) It is a great ride and and usually not to much boat traffic !!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Rattletrap; 02-16-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Rattletrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #7
garysanfran

Default GPS/Chart on smart phone...

MikeF-NH wrote...

" Consider (if you have a smart phone), picking up the Navionics app in conjunction with your phone GPS will give you very valuable assistance in navigation. Coordinate that will your Bizer and you will know where you are."

My phone (Samsung S5) does not have GPS as far as I know. How do I do the above? What GPS is best for the area? How to I coordinate it with Navionics?

Thanks again all for re-focusing my brain to summer issues!
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Any of the above routes is fine. From Glendale, I would normally go between Welch Is. and the Forty's, then north of Sandy and Ragged and through the Hole in the Wall to Chase's Point. That to me is shortest, and pretty much wide open water until the NWZ at HitW. Sounds like you're familiar with that end of the lake already. After that, it varies depending on your eventual destination (s).
I've picnicked drifting in Green;'s Basin, very peaceful, and I've walked from the docks at Lee's Mills to the Woodshed. Going north from FL<12 can be a relatively straight route. The less obvious stuff is when you start exploring in/around small islands. I have used GPS, (don't currently have one installed) but if you're going in good weather, it can be more important to keep your head out of the cockpit. Have your navigator keep his/her head out of the cockpit too. Trying to read a chart and/or GPS at speed and drive the boat, watch for other boats etc. does not add to my enjoyment or my safety factor.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
noreast

I used Navionics on my phone for a little while, I found that 90% of the time you couldn't see the screen. I was disappointed since the phone was brand new last year and I have a fairly cheap fish finder that I can't add it on to. All that being said, It's nice to have but I've managed all these years with Bizer and my eyes.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #10
kawishiwi

Default You have it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
MikeF-NH wrote...

" Consider (if you have a smart phone), picking up the Navionics app in conjunction with your phone GPS will give you very valuable assistance in navigation. Coordinate that will your Bizer and you will know where you are."

My phone (Samsung S5) does not have GPS as far as I know. How do I do the above? What GPS is best for the area? How to I coordinate it with Navionics?

Thanks again all for re-focusing my brain to summer issues!
Samsung S5 has built in gps, I know I used to have one. For a smartphone thats already on "older" model but top of the line when new. You probably have Google maps app on your phone now, open that to confirm your gps.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:55 PM   #11
Greene's Basin Girl

If you let me know when you want travel I can meet you by the Barber Pole and show you the way to Green's Basin ( weather dependent). I have been in Green's Basin my entire life and I am always boating all over the lake.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:09 AM   #12
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Avoid anything north of Moultonborough Bay--here there be dragons!!!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:41 PM   #13
Juiced06GTO

We stayed in Buzzle's Cove last summer at a rental with some friends and made the trip in and out of Moultonboro a few times throughout the week using just a Bizer and a compass. As long as you take the time to spot your markers you should be good. I avoided the Graveyard on the ride from the ramp at Long Island on my way back to the cove on the initial ride in, but we went through there multiple times later in the week. It is a really nice part of the lake, so nice I am trying to figure out how to purchase property up there!!
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:20 PM   #14
dpg

Also have BBQ or Red Hill Dari ("Country Cookin" fame) in Center Harbor......Onion Rings.....Yum.....
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:04 AM   #15
Dave M

Been on the Lake for 40 years. Been up there numerous times, very peaceful. You just have to pay attention on getting there. I just use the map. After a few times it won't such a big deal getting there. As someone has suggested go around graveyard area. Years ago had an 18' StarCraft with small inboard. Used to travel in all the inlets up there. Can park at Lee Mills and walk to Loon info Center. As Descant mention we picnicked as well, one time on the big boulder with a bunch of kids(Cub Scouts). Always went up to see steamboat parade.
For Center Harbor you may want to try Dewey's.(top of hill) They have great ice cream and make awesome sandwiches.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote