Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2016, 07:35 PM   #1
Bumble2249

Default Summer Help

For at least the second consecutive year, the lakes region restaurants, anything from your typical pizza shop to your full service establishments, have suffered with the lack of help that is available. It's a very bad situation for all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chefjarrod86 (05-30-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble2249 View Post
For at least the second consecutive year, the lakes region restaurants, anything from your typical pizza shop to your full service establishments, have suffered with the lack of help that is available. It's a very bad situation for all.

I don't believe any restaurant in the area is fully staffed. Lots of help wanted signs out there!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Chefjarrod86 (05-30-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 06:39 AM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I don't think it's just the restaurant business. Isn't unemployment in NH something like 2.9%. It's an employee market.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:17 PM   #4
Chefjarrod86

Quote:

that is very true it has been a real struggle to find quality staff that actually takes pride in what they do.
Chefjarrod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chefjarrod86 For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (05-30-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 01:59 AM   #5
Mr. V

I guess the youngun's are either on welfare or heroin/oxy and don't want to work.

Either that, or they couldn't wait to put the lake in their rear view mirror and moved to the city.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2016, 09:59 AM   #6
Greene's Basin Girl

Last week while doing errands I noticed that the the following businesses were looking to hire:

Hannaford's in Meredith
Murphy's Mobil in Moultonborough
The Bob House in Moultonborough
Bucky's in Moultonborough

When I was a teenager here at the lake I would apply for jobs in the fall for the following summer. I had to apply early if I wanted seasonal work.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
Last week while doing errands I noticed that the the following businesses were looking to hire:

Hannaford's in Meredith
Murphy's Mobil in Moultonborough
The Bob House in Moultonborough
Bucky's in Moultonborough

When I was a teenager here at the lake I would apply for jobs in the fall for the following summer. I had to apply early if I wanted seasonal work.
Herein lies the problem. We now have a generation of helicopter parents that allow their snowflake children to lay about all summer rather than obtain a job that just might teach them a skill or two or to at least learn that asking would you like fries with that is not a career job. Too many people out there from the participation trophy generations who find work to be beneath them.
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Acrossamerica For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-22-2017), Electric man (02-23-2017), Sully (03-03-2017)
Old 05-31-2016, 12:02 PM   #8
jeffk

I suggest a different reality than lazy kids. My wife is a teacher in Moultonborough and we meet most of her students working all over the place. The problem is, when the population of the area quadruples or more over the summer and many summer only businesses are up and running, and the demand at businesses peaks, there are not enough local "kids" to fill all the jobs available. Some restaurants seek arrangements with foreign young people who want to work and travel. Some business hire foreign workers for the summer. But for the most part, people looking for work that don't live here are not going to move here to meet a seasonal need. There isn't that much affordable housing and what do they do in the fall when the jobs close down? Kids outside the area are busy working in their own towns.

Further, the NH unemployment rate is running at 2.6%. Effectively EVERYONE is already working. Again, who would move to NH to take a summer only job, and frankly not a high paying one?
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
jniff101 (06-01-2016), Merrymeeting (06-02-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 12:54 PM   #9
Greene's Basin Girl

There are many many teenagers that spend their summers here and they do not work. That was unheard of when I was growing up.We did not want to ask our parents for spending money so we earned it ourselves. My first job was cleaning lakeside cabins for $1.00/hour at 12 years old. We certainly expected our son to work. He started waitering at Sam & Rosie's when he was 14 years old. Now he has his own software tutorial business.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-02-2016), Biggd (02-22-2017), BroadHopper (06-03-2016), Bumble2249 (05-31-2016), garysanfran (06-01-2016), GsChinadoll (03-14-2017), Sully (03-03-2017)
Old 05-31-2016, 12:55 PM   #10
noreast

^^^ Right. Go to the white Mountains, now It's all eastern Europeans for the summer (and some for winter). It use to be all Latino in the hospitality industry with the H2B? program. They have moved on to permanent jobs. Hard to hire at close too minimum when the unemployment #'s are like this.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:30 PM   #11
thebix

Default Local kids working multiple jobs this summer

The last two times we stopped for boat gas at Channel marine, the young ladies pumping said they worked multiple jobs. The first one was a senior at Gilford High and worked two jobs. Today the lady said she had 4 summer jobs. No lack of work ethic here, they are very motivated and apparently the need for staff is great enough to work with kids scheduling multiple jobs.
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:19 PM   #12
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrossamerica View Post
Herein lies the problem. We now have a generation of helicopter parents that allow their snowflake children to lay about all summer rather than obtain a job that just might teach them a skill or two or to at least learn that asking would you like fries with that is not a career job. Too many people out there from the participation trophy generations who find work to be beneath them.

This is absolutely perfect!!!!

Old 06-01-2016, 04:22 AM   #13
Reilly

Default start a new thread

Quote:
what does any of this have to do with woodshed reviews ?????
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #14
jniff101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
what does any of this have to do with woodshed reviews ?????
This thread is titled "Summer Help" nothing about the woodshed specifically.
jniff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #15
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniff101 View Post
This thread is titled "Summer Help" nothing about the woodshed specifically.
These were in the Woodshed thread, but Don must have moved and started this one
Bumble2249 (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #16
8gv

Having over thirty years experience hiring entry level youths, I am happy to be ritired and not trying to staff restaurants today.

Snowflakes?
There may be are quite a few.

2.9% unemployment?
Yes, and no. I do not know what the workforce participation rate is in NH. The U.S. number has gotten much lower since the recession began. If the government added those who have stopped looking to the ranks of the unemployed the unemployment number might be significantly different.

Competition for help?
The current level of government assistance compares favorably to the wages one might make this summer. Leaving the dole to take a job might be a pay/benefit cut. Getting back on the dole might not be easy. Some may choose not to risk it.

Again, I'm happy not to have to staff restaurants anymore.

I will simply smile and be nice to the waitstaff where we dine. They are probably already at wit's end and it's only June 1st!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-22-2017), Misha888 (06-10-2016), WakeboardMom (06-03-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 01:01 PM   #17
Merrymeeting

It's too easy to jump on the "this generation is lazy" bandwagon, especially since, for the most part, it isn't reality. I know of many kids who summer here, and most if not all of them work.

The issue is more one of seasonal timing. Most of the kids we are talking about here are high school age. Most high schools won't be out of school for another 2-3 weeks. Making matters worse, many schools are now starting before Labor Day, even moving toward mid-August start dates.

Add in the extended dates on both ends for anyone in athletics (a high majority of the type of kids who are looking for work), and it ends up being a very difficult proposition for an employer. You pretty much only have them from July 1 - Aug 20. Hence the many openings now. All the kids already in the area are employed.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
GBGX2 (06-02-2016), WakeboardMom (06-03-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #18
Winnisquamer

Hard to define where "this generation" begins and ends for ages on top of that too.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:42 AM   #19
VitaBene

My about to graduate from Moultonborough Academy daughter works year round at the Corner House and the gas dock at Trexlers summers. Everyone of her peers is working hard!
WakeboardMom (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 07:08 AM   #20
songkrai

This is a spoof, right?

No one believes these old myths anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post

2.9% unemployment?
Yes, and no. I do not know what the workforce participation rate is in NH. The U.S. number has gotten much lower since the recession began. If the government added those who have stopped looking to the ranks of the unemployed the unemployment number might be significantly different.

Competition for help?
The current level of government assistance compares favorably to the wages one might make this summer. Leaving the dole to take a job might be a pay/benefit cut. Getting back on the dole might not be easy. Some may choose not to risk it.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:20 AM   #21
rsmlp

Default our youth

Rather than denigrate our youth with a broad brushstroke as being lazy perhaps some basic introspection is in order. NH unemployment is about 3.5% and undoubtedly Moultonboro is even lower AND during summer the need is much higher. It's easy to blame "lazy" youth when in fact I suspect the problem is more likely "lazy" analysis. There may very likely just not be enough youth to fill all the jobs. A problem for sure but a better one than not being enough jobs to employ our youth.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:37 AM   #22
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
This is a spoof, right?

Well, the government reports the labor force participation numbers and they are significantly down so I wouldn't classify them as a myth. Although with the state of government these days, who knows for sure.

As to people not bothering to find work if they have government payments coming in that compensate them as much as a low level paycheck would, it has been proven. Under Clinton, when welfare was cut, economic disaster was predicted when people lost welfare payments. Instead, most people went out and got jobs and did fine. They hadn't bothered to do so before because they didn't have to because their welfare paid them as much as a job would. Also, once in the workforce for a while they found themselves with chances for advancement, getting raises, and ended up better off. No myth there either.

I'm not claiming that this applies to every situation and every person but overall there is a significant negative effect of paying people not to work.

The side benefit was the economy grew because more people were participating and government support costs dropped.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (06-08-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #23
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Under Clinton, when welfare was cut, economic disaster was predicted when people lost welfare payments. Instead, most people went out and got jobs and did fine.

The side benefit was the economy grew because more people were participating and government support costs dropped.
My major question with this is how much did the technological boom contribute to that decade's success? From '95-'02, it seemed like everybody had money--I was selling $10k+ plasma TVs and $500+ DVD players like they were going out of style. As a home theatre salesman, I was buying Audis and Rolexes.

When the bottom dropped out, in '02 or so?, my income plummeted as did almost every one of my techie/engineer friends'. Many of them were out of work for years or took way lower paying jobs, which directly impacted all job sectors.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #24
noreast

Someone mentioned sports, Now kid's play most year round, It's not like it use to be, many don't have time to work. There's a lot on there plate, maybe some don't remember the stress (real or self appointed) they're under.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:18 PM   #25
Outdoorsman

I stopped in to a supermarket today (chain store) that is located at the northern most part of the planet (Littleton, NH ) and noticed 3 young men (17-20 ish) working in the aisles. I over heard an employee say they were from Bosinia and started working there "today". These employee's were less than happy to about these "outsiders" being there which irked me!

On my way out of the store, in the lobby, was a sign advertising employment opportunities. What caught my eye was that they listed 6-8 different departments looking for help and at least 2 of them stated 14-16 YO could work in those dept's. I guess the lack of help is not just local.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:13 AM   #26
dpg

Quote:
I suggest a different reality than lazy kids. My wife is a teacher in Moultonborough and we meet most of her students working all over the place. The problem is, when the population of the area quadruples or more over the summer and many summer only businesses are up and running, and the demand at businesses peaks, there are not enough local "kids" to fill all the jobs available. Some restaurants seek arrangements with foreign young people who want to work and travel. Some business hire foreign workers for the summer. But for the most part, people looking for work that don't live here are not going to move here to meet a seasonal need. There isn't that much affordable housing and what do they do in the fall when the jobs close down? Kids outside the area are busy working in their own towns.

Further, the NH unemployment rate is running at 2.6%. Effectively EVERYONE is already working. Again, who would move to NH to take a summer only job, and frankly not a high paying one?
JeffK: Is your wife originally from Massachusetts, Wayland maybe??
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #27
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
JeffK: Is your wife originally from Massachusetts, Wayland maybe??
Nope. Born, grown up, educated, and working in NH for the last 30 years. I am a transplant to NH as of 30 years ago.

Why?
Old 06-08-2016, 03:48 PM   #28
kawishiwi

Default The numbers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
This is a spoof, right?

http://www.nhes.nh.gov/elmi/statistics/laus-data.htm

http://www.nhes.nh.gov/elmi/statistics/alt-measures.htm

Briefly... NH unemployment 'U3' measure standard unemploy # dropped from 3.4 last year to 2.6 this year.
Belknap county was similar. Heaviest in far north of state. Last year 'U6' absolute unemployed & underemployed was 8.0.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:03 AM   #29
dpg

Quote:
Nope. Born, grown up, educated, and working in NH for the last 30 years. I am a transplant to NH as of 30 years ago.

Why?
I'm from Mass just thought I knew her. Knew someone who grew up in my town and moved to Moultonborough to teach. She did also marry someone from "up there" I believe.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:43 AM   #30
Paugus bay girl

There are many kids today who simply don't want to work. I work in the food service industry, we have hired 4 young people in the past 4 weeks, and 2 of them only lasted a day, and another one didn't last the whole shift. They don't want to work once they see how much work it is. Its sad. They would rather live off the state.
Paugus bay girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:55 AM   #31
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus bay girl View Post
There are many kids today who simply don't want to work. I work in the food service industry, we have hired 4 young people in the past 4 weeks, and 2 of them only lasted a day, and another one didn't last the whole shift. They don't want to work once they see how much work it is. Its sad. They would rather live off the state.
Kids would rather "live off the state"?! That's ridiculous. What ages are these kids, what type of jobs are they, and what is the demographic?

As a high school teacher, easily 80% of my students work too much. 11 of my 14 advisory FRESHMEN are working at least three days a week.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (10-19-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #32
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Demographics

Let's cut the chase. Demographics has a play here. The Lakes region area is becoming more of a retirement community. There is a shortage of young help to support the older population. Perhaps business should be more resilient and hire older help!

The 2.9% unemployment rate is based on the number collecting unemployment. The real unemployment rate no doubt is three or four times that.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:13 AM   #33
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Kids would rather "live off the state"?! That's ridiculous. What ages are these kids, what type of jobs are they, and what is the demographic?

As a high school teacher, easily 80% of my students work too much. 11 of my 14 advisory FRESHMEN are working at least three days a week.

Complete agreement. Saying that kids want to live off the state is a BS generalization. THINK before you write.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (10-19-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 08:42 AM   #34
ishoot308

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Not Only A Lakes Region Issue

As a business owner who is constantly hiring help from entry level to upper management positions, I can tell you our biggest issue is applicants passing the pre employment drug screening. 8 out of 10 applicants applying for entry level on the job training positions will not pass the pre screen drug test. This is no exaggeration! It's not just weed that is being picked up either but mainly opiates now. These entry level positions are mostly young people in their early twenty's who graduated high school and have no priorities whatsoever.

My company (non lake region) offers 80% paid health insurance, 401-k, holiday and vacation pay as well as other perks not available at many other businesses that have entry level positions. We have all but given up on entry level applicants and now rely on employment agencies such as trade source to filll our needs. It's unfortunate but for us that is what it has come to...

I completely understand Paugus Bay Girl's frustration as I see it and live it every day...

Dan
Jersey Ed (10-16-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #35
8gv

I was an entry level employer for my entire career.

From what I have experienced, there is truth in each of the positions poated here.

Some young folks, educated or not, are hard working and ambitious. Others lack effort and initiative. There are also the ones who are emotionally unstable and will self destruct with the smallest amount of stress.

I am happy to be retired here rather than trying to staff a patch of restaurants.

My gig was in an area with plenty of potential employees from which I could choose suitable candidates.

The age of the population here and the seasonal sales peak are two challenges I am happy not to have to endure.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #36
baygo

Quote:

Three or four years ago I recognize this problem in my business. It got really bad. It seems as though I was talking about it every day. It was not uncommon for me to make mention of this loser millennial generation when in conversation with a guest, and sometimes within range for a millennial to hear. it kept getting worse, and worse, and worse.

About a year ago I actually stopped and listened to what I was saying. I asked myself; could I be manifesting my own problems? I then decided to change my tone . I started talking about how awesome the generation is. I would look real hard for the positive things and make that my conversation.

I've been overstaffed for about eight months, and I am having a tough time deciding who's hours to cut because they are all working so hard and taking great pride in what they're doing.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (10-16-2016), HAMPTONS (02-22-2017), Newbiesaukee (10-17-2016), noreast (10-16-2016), thinkxingu (10-16-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 09:49 AM   #37
fatlazyless

Where does the Waterville Valley ski area go for employees to work the lifts, snow making, and restaurants? Believe they have a program where young people from the Country of Peru come to Waterville Valley. Recently, the ski area purchased a local ski lodge property, the Northstar Inn, at foreclosure sale for employee housing, so's no more running an employee shuttle bus back and forth to Plymouth, or something?

As long as they work less than 30-hours/week, then no health insurance coverage is required ....... do not know if this rule applies to seasonal workers imported from a foreign country such as Peru?

Helloooooo Governor Chris Sununu ........ what's the skinny? ....... how does this all work?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-16-2016 at 10:21 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:11 AM   #38
garysanfran

Default Workers from abroad...

In some of the conversations I had with restaurant staff this summer, I found that a lot of them come from places like Romania and Egypt. A girl from Romania told me that she paid about $2,500 for an agency to find her a job and housing. She worked at The Weirs Weathervane and lived above Crazy Gringos. She said the "imports" were not treated as well as the locals. For example, the "imports" didn't get to work during motorcycle week and therefore had to forego substantial income. She also said that their living arrangements required them to not only share a bedroom, but two to the same bed!

I have to assume there are no able-bodied NH residents collecting unemployment?
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #39
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I was an entry level employer for my entire career.

From what I have experienced, there is truth in each of the positions poated here.

Some young folks, educated or not, are hard working and ambitious. Others lack effort and initiative. There are also the ones who are emotionally unstable and will self destruct with the smallest amount of stress.

I am happy to be retired here rather than trying to staff a patch of restaurants.

My gig was in an area with plenty of potential employees from which I could choose suitable candidates.

The age of the population here and the seasonal sales peak are two challenges I am happy not to have to endure.
Bingo, It's nearly Impossible to get good entry level young help. Unemployment is so low around here that whats left are the ones who don't want to work, Or realize they can make almost as much by not working. I think It's a small percent but seems much larger due to the relatively low # actually looking for a job. Every kid I know personally under 30 work very hard, mostly still in school as well, but to contrast that, Those I only know through work that are Entry level are not willing or able to keep a job for any amount of time, And yes, they are mostly consuming opiates unfortunately. Entry level is brutal right now, and enormously Important to a small business. It's to easy to stereotype a group when it's really a tiny % that we're talking about "entry level", And I don't know where any previous generation would be if these opiates were as cheap and readily available as they are today. And by the way, The Gov war on drugs is as backwards as ever, DEA recently announced it's intentions to make Kratom a schedule 1 substance, On par with Heroin, When anyone with knowledge would tell you It may be the best way to get these kids of opiates. It seems it's a move to placate the Pharmaceutical company's, But that's a whole other thread.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #40
Greene's Basin Girl

I would try to line up a job for the following summer at the end of the previous summer. It was very difficult to find a job in the area back in the 60's and70's. Our son graduated from Moultonborough Academy in 2006. He and most of his friends went off to college and have never returned to live in the Lakes Region. Many of them prefer living in an urban area after growing up in such a small town.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #41
MeredithMan

Default One person's observation....

My daughter is a junior in college, (nursing). Summer 2016 and Summer 2015 she worked in one of the area's beach bar/restaurants. She worked hard there her first year and was great with customers, so the place told her they wanted her back this past summer, and she happily took the job again. She had a number of days of making several hundred bucks in tips, (made almost a grand Labor Day weekend). She's a worker....does whatever needs to be done and is smiling and pleasant to the customers.

However, she had a number of co-workers both summers who were canned not long after being hired because they were either lazy, surly, and/or made dumb mistakes over and over again. Note that these were both college-age kids as well as some adults. My daughter and some of the other good workers would try to coach these folks before they got the boot, but to no avail. Note also that this past summer, she had an adult co-worker who was great at serving customers but that was her career....it wasn't just a summer job and she made a point to educate my daughter and the other "kids" how very difficult it is to get by in life with just an entry-level job.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
ApS (10-20-2016), ishoot308 (10-19-2016), noreast (10-19-2016), WakeboardMom (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #42
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

MeredithMan: Sounds like your daughter will be successful at everything. Good for her. Restaurant work of any kind is not easy, and some people are just not up to it. A good restaurant worker can do anything in life. I'm happy for a couple summers experience.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (10-19-2016), ishoot308 (10-19-2016), MeredithMan (10-19-2016)
Old 02-22-2017, 02:47 AM   #43
ApS

Wink And Some Can't Wait to Start Working...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus bay girl View Post
I got a chuckle when a plumber handed me this business card:
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2017, 07:29 AM   #44
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Well, the government reports the labor force participation numbers and they are significantly down so I wouldn't classify them as a myth. Although with the state of government these days, who knows for sure.

As to people not bothering to find work if they have government payments coming in that compensate them as much as a low level paycheck would, it has been proven. Under Clinton, when welfare was cut, economic disaster was predicted when people lost welfare payments. Instead, most people went out and got jobs and did fine. They hadn't bothered to do so before because they didn't have to because their welfare paid them as much as a job would. Also, once in the workforce for a while they found themselves with chances for advancement, getting raises, and ended up better off. No myth there either.

I'm not claiming that this applies to every situation and every person but overall there is a significant negative effect of paying people not to work.

It's not only welfare but disability claims are way up. I know many people that get disability checks that are not really disabled. They work under the table and their whole life revolves around not losing that free money. If you took this money away 90% of them would get real jobs and pay taxes instead of being a burden on the system. This is a sore subject with me. I work in a neighborhood in Mass where there are quite a few people on welfare and disability. Most of them can work but they choose not to.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:36 PM   #45
RUGMAN

me too, I hear ya. I get up every morning and go off to work sore, knowing that some of the taxes I pay go there. Granted there are many people that can't work, its the ones I see cheating the system that I pay for.
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:57 PM   #46
Descant

Default Privacy

I recall that if you are out of work collecting $$ from Worker's Comp Insurance, the insurance company sent somebody around to do an "activity check". If you were splitting wood, or up on a ladder painting your house....

If you're getting government funds and they send somebody around, the ACLU screams "invasion of privacy".
Old 02-23-2017, 07:25 AM   #47
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I recall that if you are out of work collecting $$ from Worker's Comp Insurance, the insurance company sent somebody around to do an "activity check". If you were splitting wood, or up on a ladder painting your house....

If you're getting government funds and they send somebody around, the ACLU screams "invasion of privacy".
I see this fat 300lb women ride by my shop everyday on her disability scooter with her skinny *** husband walking next to her. They go to the local convenience store everyday to get their lottery tickets. Next thing I know their both riding scooters to the store. Now she's 400lb's and the first scooter couldn't handle the extra weight. She gets a new scooter and he rides the old one all on the tax payers dime. Disability my ***!
Old 02-23-2017, 10:59 AM   #48
Doobs41378

What's the saying: I have no problem helping someone who cannot help themselves, I do not want to help someone who wont help themselves.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doobs41378 For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 11:43 AM   #49
noreast

It's the M.O. for Mass government employees, get hurt the day you're doing your supervisors job and get the extra benny's for ever. Then, from what I see, buy lottery and cigarettes the rest of your life.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #50
robmac

Well I've read the comments and have to say,while some milk the dole others like myself can't and cant get insurance if we could. So to make a blanket statement is absurd,as stated I collect SSDI due to a broken back and resulting issues from surgery. I for one paid into the system since I was 15yo so I'm not taking money I didn't already put in the system. Why not focus on those collecting that never paid into the system!
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robmac For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (02-23-2017), KPW (02-23-2017), noreast (02-23-2017), pondguy (02-23-2017), thinkxingu (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #51
noreast

I think the focus has been on the cheats, I can't imagine anyone begrudging someone who is legit. I could have missed it though, I skimmed through.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:05 PM   #52
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I see this fat 300lb women ride by my shop everyday on her disability scooter with her skinny *** husband walking next to her. They go to the local convenience store everyday to get their lottery tickets. Next thing I know their both riding scooters to the store. Now she's 400lb's and the first scooter couldn't handle the extra weight. She gets a new scooter and he rides the old one all on the tax payers dime. Disability my ***!
So the lady on the scooter should be the the hostess at the Woodshed and he the head chef ? These folks like many others in the area are facing challenges that probably go well beyond physical issues and mental challenges. Laconia and the north country attract challenged people because the towns have lost the old factories and now have cheap rent and lower costs of living . They may have participated in causing their current situation but you can bet if they had it to do over again there life choices , or just what life brought them, they would want a better outcome .
These people have nothing to do with the worker shortage and we should all be thankful we are not in similar situations .
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (02-23-2017), thinkxingu (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 03:13 PM   #53
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
So the lady on the scooter should be the the hostess at the Woodshed and he the head chef ? These folks like many others in the area are facing challenges that probably go well beyond physical issues and mental challenges. Laconia and the north country attract challenged people because the towns have lost the old factories and now have cheap rent and lower costs of living . They may have participated in causing their current situation but you can bet if they had it to do over again there life choices , or just what life brought them, they would want a better outcome .
These people have nothing to do with the worker shortage and we should all be thankful we are not in similar situations .
This is back in Mass. And these people are useless. They should be taken to the woodshed!
Old 02-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #54
thinkxingu

Quote:
This is back in Mass. And these people are useless. They should be taken to the woodshed!
Real nice. I'm for clearing the system of cheats as much as the next guy, but I would much, much rather see the scams at the top--you know, corporate welfare and white-collar criminals--focused on. Welfare abuse pales in comparison to the top end costs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (02-23-2017), noreast (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 07:49 PM   #55
Biggd

Quote:
Real nice. I'm for clearing the system of cheats as much as the next guy, but I would much, much rather see the scams at the top--you know, corporate welfare and white-collar criminals--focused on. Welfare abuse pales in comparison to the top end costs.

I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for these people that scam the welfare and disability system. I see many of them in the neighborhood I have my shop in. I agree with you about the white collar crime and corporate cheats but that's another subject. All scams need to be dealt with whether at the top or the bottom of the pay scale. It does matter if you're stealing $100 dollars or $100,000 it's still stealing.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #56
thinkxingu

Quote:
I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for these people that scam the welfare and disability system. I see many of them in the neighborhood I have my shop in. I agree with you about the white collar crime and corporate cheats but that's another subject. All scams need to be dealt with whether at the top or the bottom of the pay scale. It does matter if you're stealing $100 dollars or $100,000 it's still stealing.
Agreed, but for some sad reason, Americans find it so much easier to pick on the people at the bottom.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:21 AM   #57
Biggd

Quote:
Agreed, but for some sad reason, Americans find it so much easier to pick on the people at the bottom.

Probably because they are out and about where as the white collar criminals are hiding out in offices.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #58
robmac

I only wish those with strong opinions will let the officials they helped elect what concerns they have. Enough pressure something may get done, this isn't the forum to get it done. JMHO
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robmac For This Useful Post:
KPW (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 06:14 PM   #59
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
I only wish those with strong opinions will let the officials they helped elect what concerns they have. Enough pressure something may get done, this isn't the forum to get it done. JMHO
Sadly the elected officials in most of New England are the very people who have created the climate that allows the laggards to survive on the arm of the taxpayer. So complaining to them gets you nowhere. It is only at the ballot box that one has a chance to change the system. At least at the national level we may have that chance for the first time is 28 years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acrossamerica For This Useful Post:
CGI3 (02-25-2017), TheTimeTraveler (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 10:12 PM   #60
CGI3

Quote:
Sadly the elected officials in most of New England are the very people who have created the climate that allows the laggards to survive on the arm of the taxpayer. So complaining to them gets you nowhere. It is only at the ballot box that one has a chance to change the system. At least at the national level we may have that chance for the first time is 28 years.
Do you blame them???Give a 20-25 year old 30-45,000 in benefits,,I.E section 8, ebt card, 100% insurance, etc etc , Why would they want to go out and work 40+ hours a week at 12-15.00 per hour??
CGI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:57 AM   #61
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGI3 View Post
Do you blame them???Give a 20-25 year old 30-45,000 in benefits,,I.E section 8, ebt card, 100% insurance, etc etc , Why would they want to go out and work 40+ hours a week at 12-15.00 per hour??
It's human nature,
Give somebody free money and they will take it as long as it's available.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #62
Descant

Default Complain to elected officials?

Complain to elected officials about too much welfare?
Jeanne Shaheen, Maggie Hassan, Annie Kuster and Carol Shea-Porter.
Think about it!

And all elected officials want to brag about what they got fore the folks back home, regardless of party. Not many voters want to hear that I cut this or that, unless you cut taxes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Orion (03-05-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 05:49 PM   #63
Outdoorsman

Quote:
I do not know all the details, but arguing will elected officials surely did not work in this case.

Alton argument
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #64
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
I do not know all the details, but arguing will elected officials surely did not work in this case.

Alton argument
Actually arguing with the clowns of Alton does pay. This gentleman was tossed out of another Alton Selectman's meeting and arrested a year ago and after he sued in State Court he was awarded over $40,000 as the court found the insensitive selectmen guilty of violating his civil rights. This time they again did not allow him to speak for the full 3 minutes before they pulled the plug and had him tossed out. When he refused to go he was again arrested. Looks to me that this guy has a neat $40,000 plus a year job. Show up once a year let the stupid selectmen cut him off before his time has expired and have him arrested and then they get to pay $40,000 plus. Attention Alton taxpayers, is this where you wish to see your money go? If the selectmen can not sit for three minutes and be yelled at then they do not deserve to be elected government officials.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #65
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Actually arguing with the clowns of Alton does pay. This gentleman was tossed out of another Alton Selectman's meeting and arrested a year ago and after he sued in State Court he was awarded over $40,000 as the court found the insensitive selectmen guilty of violating his civil rights. This time they again did not allow him to speak for the full 3 minutes before they pulled the plug and had him tossed out. When he refused to go he was again arrested. Looks to me that this guy has a neat $40,000 plus a year job. Show up once a year let the stupid selectmen cut him off before his time has expired and have him arrested and then they get to pay $40,000 plus. Attention Alton taxpayers, is this where you wish to see your money go? If the selectmen can not sit for three minutes and be yelled at then they do not deserve to be elected government officials.
He was alloted 3 minutes, like everyone else who wanted to speak in public input session #1, which was to offer comment on that night's agenda. He instead decided to rant about two officials up for election this year. He was given the opportunity to speak to the subject at hand, the agenda, but chose to continue his rant and was then asked to leave. He refused and said he still had time to speak on the agenda. He was again asked to leave, refused, and was escorted out by the police.
This gentleman has also been involved in disputes in the seacoast area, and also in Dover.
He also lost an appeal to have scoring sheets for the Superintendent search a few years ago in Alton released. He won the initial freedom of information suit, but lost on appeal to the Supreme Court.
What amazes me is how he professes to know how to run town government, but has yet to file for an office. Hmmmmmmm 😉

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
bumble71 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 05:19 AM   #66
ApS

Arrow It's Everywhere...

Quote:
American taxpayers are also picking on white collar employees "hiding in offices":

http://dailycaller.com/2017/02/23/fe...sts-fake-data/

Old 03-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #67
Mr. V

Quote:
Good grief!

First you bark about how useless they are, then in the next breath you want to treat them to a great meal.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote