Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-16-2016, 08:18 PM   #1
Old Sarge

Default Garwoods in Wolfeboro

The wife and I had lunch at Garwoods restaurant in Wolfeboro today. Great views of Wolfeboro Bay. Food and the service were good. Beer was a little expensive 13 bucks for two beers. Overall 7 out of 10.
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:03 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

I wanna love the Garwood, but, as you mentioned, it's expensive. Better food than that Green's place right above the docks.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:03 AM   #3
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I wanna love the Garwood, but, as you mentioned, it's expensive. Better food than that Green's place right above the docks.

I agree with both reviews above. Garwoods is ok but not someplace I seek out. Usually I go a year or two without visiting and then someone says let's try Garwoods and we do. Then it is another year or two before I go again. As far as Joe Greens, I never go there as it is a couple of notches below Garwoods. The sandwich shop below Joe Greens is exceptional. I go there all the time.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:23 AM   #4
jeffk

I go to Garwoods once in a while but it is pricey. The view is OK depending where you are sitting. I am fine with Joe Greens as well. It's less expensive and I love being outside overlooking the docks. I usually am doing lunches and Greens is fine for lunch as far as I am concerned.

It used to be that beer and wine were cheaper than mixed drinks. Somewhere along the line the restaurants, en masse, realized that they sold a lot of glasses of beer and wine, that the supply is fairly cheap, and that they could mark up the cost to that of a mixed drink and make a ton of money. $7 for a glass of wine that you can buy for a bottle at $15 is ridiculous. There is no prep cost, just open and pour. I often either skip it at a restaurant or limit to one glass. I drink more wine at home now with dinner. I found a very nice sweet Riesling for $10, about $2 per glass.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:26 PM   #5
Leoskeys

Love Garwoods, we feel it's worth the premium.
Don't like Greens at all. One of our new favorites is the Downtown Grille to the right of Greens(if looking at it from the docks).
Leoskeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #6
Orion

Default half agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoskeys View Post
Don't like Greens at all. One of our new favorites is the Downtown Grille to the right of Greens(if looking at it from the docks).
Well, I'll totally agree on the Downtown Grille recommendation as we've had many great sandwiches there. And, when they make their clam chowder, it's the best I've ever had. Garwoods....too expensive.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:
Music Man (04-23-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 07:01 AM   #7
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Sounds like we need to try the Downtown Grille!

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:54 AM   #8
jeffk

Thumbs up

Thumbs up to the Downtown Grille. We have been there for breakfast and lunch and enjoyed it very much. Not many tables outside but beautiful out there.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
Music Man (04-23-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #9
Closetzguy

Downtown Grille is great and you get to watch the fights on the public docks when someone comes in out of order!
Closetzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:54 PM   #10
GodSmile

Default Garwoods

We like a visit to Garwoods every year, but not more often than that. Will have to try some of the other places mentioned.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:00 PM   #11
Cindido

Default Downtown Grille

Downtown Grille is our favorite spot in Wolfeboro. Excellent menu and price. Sitting outside is wonderful. They've also opened a second store on Rt. 16 in Ossippee.

Never understood what people like about Garwoods (other then maybe the view). Menu is boring and overpriced for what you get.
Cindido is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cindido For This Useful Post:
Music Man (04-23-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 05:44 PM   #12
NoBozo

I have no clew how to make a restaurant successful. As a person who Goes to restaurants when on vacation..I notice things which will dictate whether I go back again.

Garwoods is expensive...particularly the mixed drinks...but maybe not a big deal if I only have ONE drink..or maybe just wine. I have no negative reports about the service or food at Garwoods.

Maybe..since I'm ON Vacation...I am Less Concerned about cost..HEY, I only go on vacation ONCE a year...It's supposed to be a pleasant time..no hassles. Just a few bucks extra....Once a year. NB

PS: The last time we went to Joe Greens was less than ..satisfactory. That was a few years ago. Haven't been back since. Mid September: Service was almost non existent. Wait persons standing around with no incentive to Serve. There were napkins and trash out on the deck where we sat and no one seemed to be interested in picking it up.

We liked to go there because we could sit up there and admire our boat down at the dock.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:12 PM   #13
NoBozo

Default More Garwoods

In past years, we would go by boat and dock AT Garwoods. There was room for ONE 20 foot boat in front of the Dive Boat. Shallow..need to be aware of where the thin water was and dock accordingly.

When we walked around to the front door on the street we were greeted with .."HEY: NICE Donzi. They made a friend. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:32 PM   #14
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoskeys View Post
Thanks. Downtown Grille that is the restaurant I was thinking of. Excellent food. Good service. Nice facility. That is the place to go.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Music Man (04-23-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 06:26 AM   #15
polarisman14

We also hit Garwood's on Saturday. It was excellent and we ordered lighter fare so we were out of there for $40 for the couple.

To Tow: 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
To Float: 1977 MFG Gypsy Star 17 O/B
polarisman14 is offline   Reply With Quote