Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
Piston

Default What do you do when your dog needs to "go"?

Hey everyone....
I know a lot of us like to take our dogs out on the lake with us to enjoy the water and I am certainly one of those people. The only problem is, what do you do when your dog has to "go"? I always put my boat in at the Alton Bay ramp and let the dogs go before we get in the boat, but what about after a while in the boat?
I always clean up after my dogs and consider myself to be a responsible dog owner to my English Mastiff and St. Bernard. When I can I try to pull up to another public dock to bring them for a walk but just want to see how everyone else handles it. I just don't know of the "dog friendly" areas of the lake. Any info is always appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
Argie's Wife

Wish I had an answer for you but perhaps checking into what public docks you can have your dog at would be a good start. Since you already know about Alton, then that's one place...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Most all of the public docks have a place for the dogs to go as long as they are cleaned up after.

Then there are the "secret places" that all dog owners have on the lake, whether it be at a friends camp or other such places. The key is to clean up after your pet which I am certain you do.

Dan
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
dpg

Mine isn't a problem boating as I have not had my boat in the water for a couple years now. However when I walk my dog I do not bring any bags with me. I generally know my dogs habits and know when to bring him to "do his thing." I walk my dog down the street to the woods where he almost always goes and I do not pick up after him there. This is an area of just woods he's not going near anyones yard. When on a walk I can see him start to get the "urge" to go and I do the same thing - find a wooded area to bring him into. Where I live and walk him there's always an area close enough by that we can ditch into. Seems that boating might be the same thing, I would think there's always woods somewhere in sight to dock up and go into I don't really know maybe not.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
imalocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Mine isn't a problem boating as I have not had my boat in the water for a couple years now. However when I walk my dog I do not bring any bags with me. I generally know my dogs habits and know when to bring him to "do his thing." I walk my dog down the street to the woods where he almost always goes and I do not pick up after him there. This is an area of just woods he's not going near anyones yard. When on a walk I can see him start to get the "urge" to go and I do the same thing - find a wooded area to bring him into. Where I live and walk him there's always an area close enough by that we can ditch into. Seems that boating might be the same thing, I would think there's always woods somewhere in sight to dock up and go into I don't really know maybe not.
Please just remember that some of these wooded areas are areas that other people also walk through. I love walking through the woods with my dog and hate it when I find another dog's surprise! Please do pick up after your dog whenever it is not your own property.
imalocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
Argie's Wife

Default The best thing since sliced bread...

See this little bag holder:

They cost about $7 to $10 and just attach to the handle of a leash. We have a couple of them and keep a stock of baggies in each vehicle as well as in the bag holder itself.

I've often offered a baggie to someone who isn't picking up after their pooch as a "niceity" - "Here, would you like one of these? I'm happy to share if you don't have any..." Just because I want to be able to keep taking my dog to the parks and other areas we like to roam. We're careful to pick up after him but not everyone is - and we don't want to lose the privilege of going to our favorite spots because some people are inconsiderate...

Last edited by Argie's Wife; 05-07-2009 at 07:43 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (05-06-2009), mcdude (05-07-2009)
Old 05-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #7
Piston

Default I HAVE to pick up after my dog.....

I'm always certain to pick up after my dog, one of them is almost 200lbs and the other is just a pup but will also be large, so when a 200 lb dog leaves something behind, you can be sure you, and anyone else around, are gonna see it
I'm actually fairly lucky because they can both "hold it" for quite a while so when we're on the boat it has never become an issue, and we've always been fine, but i was just curious in case im in an unfamiliar spot on the lake and can't find a place to go. I was really wondering if anyone has trained they're dogs to go in a certain spot or container of some type on the boat....but then again its not like your ever far from shore on winni!
I agree that you should always pick up after your dog unless its on your own property, in that case its obviously your call....but I also don't wanna be walking through some public land in the woods and step on any landmines....
Old 05-07-2009, 06:21 AM   #8
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by imalocal View Post
Please just remember that some of these wooded areas are areas that other people also walk through. I love walking through the woods with my dog and hate it when I find another dog's surprise! Please do pick up after your dog whenever it is not your own property.

You won't be walking where I let mine go. When I say the woods I do not mean a walking path through the woods or something like that. Where he goes is safe and I consider myself to have enough common sense as to where I let him go. Last summer I did have someone actually stop their car and rant at me for letting him go in some woods in our association in Moultonborough. After listening to this P'd off person for a couple minutes all I did was respond with four simply words....."I own this lot!!" The persons face was just priceless! And yes, it really was mine.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #9
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

...click here to order DOGGIE DOO BAGS (and dispenser)

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
northeastelectric

Talking Doggy Restrooms

I know this wont help anyone with the dogs out on the boat (I run into the same problems there as you all do)but I have to tell you what we did at our house,we got the idea while watching a nieghbors cat use a indoor litter box one day,We actualy trained our two labador retrievers(Bud & Cleo) to Olny leave there doo doos in One spot in the yard,what we did was sectioned off a 5 by 10 area in the corner of the yard,filled it with beach sand and surrounded it with some shrubs for estetics ect. and put there messes down there a few times (to get the scent down there)and now that is the olny place they go Believe it or not,(we also tell them how good they are when they go there along with an occaisional treat)they still pee around the yard on occaision(especialy the male-bud) but we very rarely find any doo doos in the yard and always find them in the "sandbox" daily,(we keep a covered trash can there with a scoop just for that reason,although the trash pickup man now gives us the dirty eyeball once a month,ha,ha),what is nice about it is that it is easy to clean up with a Screen type scoop leaving the sand behind(No missing spots of grass),it drains well and is soft on thier paws most of the winter.It also meens we are not stepping in landmines all over the yard,we had also trained our last dog who passed away to do the same thing.Its really not hard if you have a little paitence with them.Anyways everyone have fun out there this summer with your pets and please stay safe.D.G. -Northeast ElectricP.S.if anyone comes up with a solution that works for the boats we are all ears,because they both love going out on the boat!!!....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
You won't be walking where I let mine go. When I say the woods I do not mean a walking path through the woods or something like that. Where he goes is safe and I consider myself to have enough common sense as to where I let him go. Last summer I did have someone actually stop their car and rant at me for letting him go in some woods in our association in Moultonborough. After listening to this P'd off person for a couple minutes all I did was respond with four simply words....."I own this lot!!" The persons face was just priceless! And yes, it really was mine.
northeastelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:42 AM   #11
Heaven

I have had dogs around here for decades and am accustomed to having them with me all day at work, and taking them nearly everywhere we go. There are lots of places that I wouldn't even consider picking up after my dogs, areas that are not populated and not used by hoards of dog walkers or others. Then there are areas that are popular, and I understand the necessity of picking up in those places. Then there are the "gray areas" where it is a judgment call as to whether picking up is necessary or not. Some will choose to pick up, and some won't.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
jrc

I found a surprise on my driveway two days in row. I have a hiking trail on my land that comes near the house, and people walk dogs, but I never expected they would allow the dogs to come up the driveway near the house.

The second day I was cleaning up the mess, and getting ready to give the dog walkers a piece of my mind. The shovel broke the droppings into pieces. I noticed a lot of fur and small bones.

What ever left that in my driveway doesn't eat from a can! There's more than just dogs in the woods. I left the dog walkers alone.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
SLI

Smile Driveway doo-doo

What you found in your driveway sounds like owl scat. Any big owls around?
Sue
SLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
What ever left that in my driveway doesn't eat from a can! There's more than just dogs in the woods. I left the dog walkers alone.
This is the thing.... people are always quick to blame dogs..... but lets see, when in the northern woods I hear all kinds of animals, and if there wild, they don't worry about where they are do they....

Now on the flip side, it seems that more and more poeple and communities are getting up tight about people having to have "doggie bags" and picking up after there dogs... come on people, it nature at its finest. While I will admit, that letting your dog poop in you neighbors yard or in a public park is not cool.... If you are in the woods hiking or communing with nature, having to worry about a poop or two should not be a big deal unless it is in the middle of the trail....

Now as for being out on the water, this is always a delemia, fortunately one I have never had to face, sure I brought my dogs out on the water a lot. But a walk before we left and a walk after we got back was all it took..... I have never been in the position of a day boater having to rely on places around the dock to let Fido go.... In short much like the rest areas along the highway it would be nice to see the towns start to create dog walk area's close to town docks, if some have not already done so......
dpg (05-13-2009)
Old 05-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #15
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Red face I Had a Crazy Idea Once

Before we bought the camp we would spend the day on out on the lake and faced the same problem. I was crazy enough to have Mac mark a stick on the mainland and took it with us on the boat, hiding it until he needed a break. I thought that I could get him to whiz on the stick while we were out and was sure that I would be able to catch it in a bucket. He was all for using the stick when it was in the yard, but he didn’t seem to keen on the idea when we were out on the swim platform. He really likes to snap at the water and of course he would get full. Unfortunately he had no choice and had an accident, which really upset the poor little guy. After that we were much more careful not to let him drink too much while we were swimming off the boat.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:04 AM   #16
jrc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzcTlEpAigQ
Old 05-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #17
Mink Islander

Default At the Risk of Too Much Information....

It's sounds like an owl pellet -- the indigestible bits that owls regurgitate -- see below. Kids dissect these things in Science classes.

Like other birds, Owls cannot chew their food - small prey items are swallowed whole, while larger prey are torn into smaller pieces before being swallowed. Some Owl species will partially pluck bird and larger mammal prey.

Unlike other birds, Owls have no Crop. A crop is a loose sac in the throat that serves as storage for food for later consumption. Since an Owl lacks this, food is passed directly into their digestive system.

Now, a bird's stomach has two parts:

The first part is the glandular stomach or proventriculus, which produces enzymes, acids, and mucus that begin the process of digestion.

The second part is the muscular stomach, called the Ventriculus, or gizzard. There are no digestive glands in the gizzard, and in birds of prey, it serves as a filter, holding back insoluble items such as bones, fur, teeth and feathers (more about this below).

The soluble, or soft parts of the food are ground by muscular contractions, and allowed to pass through to the rest of the digestive system, which includes the small and large intestine. The liver and pancreas secrete digestive enzymes into the small intestine where the food is absorbed into body. At the end of the digestive tract (after the large intestine) is the cloaca, a holding area for wastes and products from the digestive and urinary systems. The cloaca opens to the outside by means of the vent. It is interesting to note that birds (apart from the Ostrich) do not have a bladder. The excretion from the vent is largely made up of an acid which is the white part of a healthy dropping.

Several hours after eating, the indigestible parts (fur, bones, teeth & feathers that are still in the gizzard) are compressed into a pellet the same shape as the gizzard. This pellet travels up from the gizzard back to the proventriculus. It will remain there for up to 10 hours before being regurgitated. Because the stored pellet partially blocks the Owl's digestive system, new prey cannot be swallowed until the pellet is ejected. Regurgitation often signifies that an Owl is ready to eat again. When the Owl eats more than one prey item within several hours, the various remains are consolidated into one pellet.

The pellet cycle is regular, regurgitating the remains when the digestive system has finished extracting the nutrition from the food. This is often done at a favourite roost. When an Owl is about to produce a pellet, it will take on a pained expression - the eyes are closed, the facial disc narrow, and the bird will be reluctant to fly. At the moment of expulsion, the neck is stretched up and forward, the beak is opened, and the pellet simply drops out without any retching or spitting movements.

Owl pellets differ from other birds of prey in that they contain a greater proportion of food residue. This is because an Owl's digestive juices are less acidic than in other birds of prey. Also, other raptors tend to pluck their prey to a much larger extent than Owls.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #18
jrc

Now I'm a little queasy. Could be an owl, a darn big one. I do know it wasn't a dog. All my trees are usually filled with turkeys, so an owl would need to fight for space.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:06 AM   #19
northeastelectric

Default left in your driveway.

Sounds like either Coyotes or maybe an owl.Coyotes have been making a huge comeback in new hampshire the last few years,i have actually come accross a couple in the woods myself.although you may not see them,trust me they are out there,they are usually meek and steer clear of humans when possible(Unless in packs they are more aggresive) but may be comming in after trash cans ect.near the houses.
Quote:
I found a surprise on my driveway two days in row. I have a hiking trail on my land that comes near the house, and people walk dogs, but I never expected they would allow the dogs to come up the driveway near the house.

The second day I was cleaning up the mess, and getting ready to give the dog walkers a piece of my mind. The shovel broke the droppings into pieces. I noticed a lot of fur and small bones.

northeastelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #20
ApS

Cool An Easy and Practical Solution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
"...I'm actually fairly lucky because they can both "hold it" for quite a while...but I also don't wanna be walking through some public land in the woods and step on any landmines..."
I noticed that both of my dogs could "hold it" a long time too, while aboard: That view is supported by what I've been reading in sailing magazines.

A solution to the "land-mine problem" may lie in wooded areas with deep beds of pine needles. On my lot, it is an easy matter to just pull up a large tuft of fallen pine needles, plop that on top of the plop—then flatten it. (I had 15-pound dogs—your selection of "tuft size" may vary ).

The problem is now out of sight, out of range of insects, no longer a land mine, and allows Nature to take her natural course. (Like a century ago, when wolves might have passed by these pristine shores of yore).

Just last night, on Coast-2-Coast radio, I heard that you can determine what your dog needs by staring into his eyes.
Quote:
"Watch carefully how your dog responds and he might suggest certain needs by some subtle gesture or glance."
I can't vouch for this practice as a possible solution, as my dogs would always glance towards the kitchen pantry.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:43 AM   #21
woodswalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
See this little bag holder:

They cost about $7 to $10 and just attach to the handle of a leash. We have a couple of them and keep a stock of baggies in each vehicle as well as in the bag holder itself.

I've often offered a baggie to someone who isn't picking up after their pooch as a "niceity" - "Here, would you like one of these? I'm happy to share if you don't have any..." Just because I want to be able to keep taking my dog to the parks and other areas we like to roam. We're careful to pick up after him but not everyone is - and we don't want to lose the privilege of going to our favorite spots because some people are inconsiderate...
Just goes to show ya-
Pet owners and bass fishermen will buy anything.
Perfect target markets to hit to make an obscene amount of money in a short period of time.
woodswalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #22
jrc

I'm now betting on the big fox that I saw yesterday. He was as big as a German Shepard. Beautiful red color and obviously living the good life off all the turkeys. Last year I saw two tiny little foxes, boy did he grow.

I may have seen a coyote around, just once. What looked like a thin white dog ran across the yard.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #23
jmen24

Default Fox?

If it was as big as a Shepard, that was not a fox. Fox at most range to 25lbs and nose to tail about 30 inches, looking at three full mounts in my living room. Coyote is a possibility, a little larger and the coloring range is much broader. I would bet a Wolf......(Don, we need a smily that has a tongue in cheek expression)
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #24
jrc

Clearly a fox, a pair have been around for a few years in my yard. They even had kits last year. Maybe I exagerated the size but he looked a lot bigger than before and he startled me as he bounded across the driveway. Much too red for a coyote.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #25
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodswalk View Post
Just goes to show ya-
Pet owners and bass fishermen will buy anything.
Perfect target markets to hit to make an obscene amount of money in a short period of time.
Laugh all you want.

It's a lot cheaper than a fine or a new pair of shoes and getting the carpet cleaned because you've stepped in a big, fat turd.

Besides... I can always keep a collection and leave them on your doorstep.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:23 AM   #26
Piston

Quote:
Now THAT'S what I'm lookin for! That is absolutely awesome!
Old 05-17-2009, 11:03 PM   #27
Argie's Wife

I've heard of people teaching their dog to "go" over a city grate so they don't have to scoop and there's puddles. This must be something like that...

But you gotta admire that little dog who can balance on 3-legs while he's on a boat!