Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #1
sky's
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 172
Thanks: 35
Thanked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Default metal roofs

I'm simply posting this to help folks that are considering putting a metal roof on there home. There's a few things to research on metal roofs understanding we're the snow will land on the ground and hopefully not damaging landscaping or landing in front of your overhead garage door we're it hardens like cement from the impact. But in this picture I want folks to see what happens when hiring a "roofer" always research there history and never take the lowest price . What I'm showing here in this picture is what NOT to do. When applying metal roofing over a asphalt roof you must put down strapping first.why? The two roofs will move independently with temperature changes and eventually the metal roof from the granular friction of the asphalt will prematurely fail. Now I'm sure I'll get a few ego responses from the " no it all's" but trust me a good roofer would not do what's in this picture.
sky's is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:44 PM   #2
TheTimeTraveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 195
Thanks: 30
Thanked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Someone once told me they would never use a metal roof due to the "noise" factor.

Is it true that it is very noisy when it rains?
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
billy (05-14-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 08:53 PM   #3
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 222
Thanks: 73
Thanked 46 Times in 34 Posts
Default

No. Have one out side the master bedroom. If installed correctly they are not.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:41 AM   #4
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,382
Thanks: 645
Thanked 666 Times in 387 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Someone once told me they would never use a metal roof due to the "noise" factor.

Is it true that it is very noisy when it rains?
We had one installed on our new park model and porch, kinda hoping we'd have a little of the *tink tink* sound in the rain, but nothing.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:33 AM   #5
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,816
Thanks: 515
Thanked 346 Times in 236 Posts
Default

The great thing about metal roofs is all the snow slides off of them.
The bad thing about metal roofs is all the snow slides off of them.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2019, 06:41 AM   #6
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,129
Thanks: 427
Thanked 531 Times in 357 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
The great thing about metal roofs is all the snow slides off of them.

The bad thing about metal roofs is all the snow slides off of them.


I agree I have a metal roof also. Real planning needs to go into where the snow will slide off. Not just landscaping but entrances, garage doors, vents.

I had an issue when the snow slide off it covered the vent for my tankless hot water heater and I would have no hot water until I cleared the snow.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:13 AM   #7
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,816
Thanks: 515
Thanked 346 Times in 236 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I agree I have a metal roof also. Real planning needs to go into where the snow will slide off. Not just landscaping but entrances, garage doors, vents.

I had an issue when the snow slide off it covered the vent for my tankless hot water heater and I would have no hot water until I cleared the snow.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The snow this winter was covering half of my front windows, about 5' high.

I had to replace the bottom half of my barn board siding in the front and back of the house because it rotted out due to the snow sitting against it for years. I didn't want to reside the whole house so I ended up putting a pressure treated skirt on the front and back of the house and stained it after it dried out.

I bought the house with the metal roof on the main portion of the house. My garage and breezeway has asphalt shingles. In my situation if I had to do the roof over I would put shingles.

For the best results you really need a large overhang for a metal roof, at least a foot or larger, IMHO.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:33 AM   #8
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,129
Thanks: 427
Thanked 531 Times in 357 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
The snow this winter was covering half of my front windows, about 5' high.

I had to replace the bottom half of my barn board siding in the front and back of the house because it rotted out due to the snow sitting against it for years. I didn't want to reside the whole house so I ended up putting a pressure treated skirt on the front and back of the house and stained it after it dried out.

I bought the house with the metal roof on the main portion of the house. My garage and breezeway has asphalt shingles. In my situation if I had to do the roof over I would put shingles.

For the best results you really need a large overhang for a metal roof, at least a foot or larger, IMHO.


Yes the overhang will definitely help. I did a lot of planning when I built the house but absolutely missed the ball on the hot water vents.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:40 AM   #9
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,816
Thanks: 515
Thanked 346 Times in 236 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Yes the overhang will definitely help. I did a lot of planning when I built the house but absolutely missed the ball on the hot water vents.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Designing for a metal roof is absolutely key.

I built my first home back 35 years ago before metal roofs were popular. A contemporary home with a 4/12 pitch roof, 2' overhangs, and no gutters. That house today would be the perfect candidate for a metal roof.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:45 AM   #10
jbolty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 395
Thanks: 90
Thanked 133 Times in 68 Posts
Default

we had a metal roof for decades, aluminum. No noise except for zzzzzzzzzzzzz…. thud when the snow slides off.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.25731 seconds