Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2020, 11:41 AM   #1
WinnisquamZ

Default For those that can help

We all agree this event has devastated the restaurant business in the area. As each of us are looking forward to that first tap pour please keep in mind the other small businesses in the area being destroyed. Yesterday I spoke with a landscaping company to book this years lawn service. A first for us. They had to let everyone go and are in the process of trying to hire them back. A challenge as unemployment now pays more then cutting lawns! But, believe this is one way we can help.
So let’s get the cars and boats detailed. Flooring replaced and other odd jobs you may have been putting off.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (04-12-2020), JEEPONLY (04-12-2020), MeredithMan (04-14-2020), Seaplane Pilot (04-12-2020), VitaBene (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
Sue Doe-Nym

Default I need answers, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
We all agree this event has devastated the restaurant business in the area. As each of us are looking forward to that first tap pour please keep in mind the other small businesses in the area being destroyed. Yesterday I spoke with a landscaping company to book this years lawn service. A first for us. They had to let everyone go and are in the process of trying to hire them back. A challenge as unemployment now pays more then cutting lawns! But, believe this is one way we can help.
So let’s get the cars and boats detailed. Flooring replaced and other odd jobs you may have been putting off.
Next to last sentence in first paragraph...”A challenge as unemployment now pays more than cutting lawns!” I cannot understand why on earth unemployment compensation has been made so attractive that it pays the recipients to collect rather than to work!!!?? Can somebody please enlighten me? This sounds like our govt. at work $$$$$.
Go ahead....color me naive.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
MBNeckguy (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
WinnisquamZ

Default For those that can help

It is simple. The stimulus added $600 to each unemployment check. Believe it brings unemployment payments around $25 per hour! Yes, only temporarily. But if they add a second round who knows how long it will extend.

The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 03:33 PM   #4
Sue Doe-Nym

Default I must be nuts

Quote:
It is simple. The stimulus added $600 to each unemployment check. Believe it brings unemployment payments around $25 per hour! Yes, only temporarily. But if they add a second round who knows how long it will extend.

I am trying to be sane and reasonable, BUT....if we want to get everyone back to work as soon as it’s “safe” to do so, why why why would we stimulate the economy by encouraging workers to stay home and collect their govt. sponsored unemployment checks rather than work??? 🙄🤨
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:46 PM   #5
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
I am trying to be sane and reasonable, BUT....if we want to get everyone back to work as soon as it’s “safe” to do so, why why why would we stimulate the economy by encouraging workers to stay home and collect their govt. sponsored unemployment checks rather than work??? ����
The $600 is only temporary, and I agree it's odd. Actually, even my son whose income is going up because of this program thinks it's not quite right.

But it's all about stimulating spending--give a poor person $600, and he spends every penny, thus stimulating the economy as that $600 gets spent again and again. Give a well off person an extra $1200, and they put it in the bank, where the effect is indirect at best. Google Multiplier Effect for more info
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (04-12-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #6
garysanfran

Default Everyone should be given $1mm...

We'll ALL be millionaires and no one will ever have to work again. Just sit around in a meadow with butterflies and rainbows...
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
We'll ALL be millionaires and no one will ever have to work again. Just sit around in a meadow with butterflies and rainbows...
Wait! Add some hippie girls to that and I’m all in!
(I did mean “old fashioned” hippie girls...)
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 08:09 PM   #8
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Wait! Add some hippie girls to that and I’m all in!
(I did mean “old fashioned” hippie girls...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4G3KPP1Nts
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (04-12-2020), pondguy (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 05:57 AM   #9
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Unemployment paying more than working? This is exactly what has happened.

A local business that is still operating had 14 employees quit last week because they found out they would make more to stay home.

How much of that money will be spent on liquor and drugs? Who knows.

A local radio talk show host complains that they have made the "safety net" into a hammock. That has been true for years and the manner in which the stimulus has been handled only makes it worse.

Obviously, when there is no incentive to return to work, most people won't. This will make it even more difficult to return to normal and it will slow down the effort to get the economy back to growth mode.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (04-13-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (04-13-2020), tis (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 07:01 AM   #10
MRD

Default unemployment insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Unemployment paying more than working? This is exactly what has happened.

A local business that is still operating had 14 employees quit last week because they found out they would make more to stay home.

How much of that money will be spent on liquor and drugs? Who knows.

A local radio talk show host complains that they have made the "safety net" into a hammock. That has been true for years and the manner in which the stimulus has been handled only makes it worse.

Obviously, when there is no incentive to return to work, most people won't. This will make it even more difficult to return to normal and it will slow down the effort to get the economy back to growth mode.
If the worker voluntarily left the employment or "quit" they are not eligible for unemployment payments. NHES will contact the employer. The employer fills out a form on line saying the employee was not let go by the employer. This usually results in the State finding that the employee is not eligible for unemployment payments.

The CARES act did provide an additional $600 per week payment to assist people on unemployment. The thought was that most States maximum unemployment payment amounts would not be enough to provide a safety net for most workers. As the Federal government could not quickly determine the correct percentage to pay to each worker based on the State payment and the workers exact wage the Feds would use the $600 figure knowing this would result in some lower paid workers getting a higher benefit than would be ideal but quickly providing funds to the economy. This $600 is set to be paid thru the end of July I think.
MRD is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MRD For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (04-13-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 08:20 AM   #11
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Give a well off person an extra $1200, and they put it in the bank, where the effect is indirect at best.

Put it in the bank and it will collect basically zero in interest, while it is a safe deposit for your cash as opposed to the risk with a individual stock.

Around Lake Winnipesaukee, there's a lot of expensive cars and boats. People need to save their money and be driving something along the lines of a Scion xB ...... discontinued by Toyota as of 2016 ..... but still driving strong ..... at 1.59/gal at the Golden Pond gas, it cost me $16 to totally fill the tank!

So's, put that in your tank, and drive it.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:24 AM   #12
The Real BigGuy

The “guit” = no unemployment is not exactly true right now. Under the CARES program if a person “quits” due to concerns for their health or others issues related to COVID-19 they are still eligible for unemployment. And, they don’t need to provide proof!

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:35 AM   #13
WinnisquamZ

Can’t agree with all of what you wrote. What if the employees say they were not being properly protected and were forced to work or felt threatened. The state will pay them, unfortunately.

Old 04-14-2020, 02:26 PM   #14
MeredithMan

Default "Thank you for the work"

Quote:

So in addition to a normal spring clean-up, I asked my landscaper guy if he could do a de-thatching; pressure wash the patio blocks; cut back some trees, etc. The crew showed up today and when I went outside to walk around, one of the worker dudes came up to me and said, "thank you for the work, sir". I honestly got choked up and could feel my eyes welling up. I smiled and said, "thank YOU for helping me out"
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (04-14-2020), Hillcountry (04-14-2020), SAMIAM (04-15-2020), ushaggerb (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 02:51 PM   #15
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
So in addition to a normal spring clean-up, I asked my landscaper guy if he could do a de-thatching; pressure wash the patio blocks; cut back some trees, etc. The crew showed up today and when I went outside to walk around, one of the worker dudes came up to me and said, "thank you for the work, sir". I honestly got choked up and could feel my eyes welling up. I smiled and said, "thank YOU for helping me out"

Well done