Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2020, 07:15 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Question ..... tinnitus here, or hear???

Do believe I have recently, last two weeks, come down with what is a strong case of tinnitus; irritating, constant noise within my head. It is similar to a high pitched sound of steam escaping from a steam radiator vent, or maybe a constant electronic sound made when turning an oscilloscope.

Is definitely a major distraction and constant annoyance either coming from the ears, and centered in the brain ...... somewhere, in there.

If I am able to peddle up this huge health hill of a problem right now, all things considered, coasting down the hill on the good side of a tinnitus relief cure will be a major blessing.

Have I seen a medical doctor ...... not yet ...... will I see one ..... I had better go see the doctor, very soon.

Anyone here have any experience, suggestions, or advice on this very serious health issue I am experiencing ....... tinnitus?

I am age 69 and generally in very excellent health, and look forward to living to age 99 ...... but for now, i need to get this interior brain/ear irritant noise cured! ......
Old 12-07-2020, 07:24 AM   #2
chaseisland

Default tinnitus

It's rarely fatal. Only if you listen to it.
chaseisland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chaseisland For This Useful Post:
mhtranger (12-07-2020), rander7823 (12-09-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 08:09 AM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts
Default Tinnutis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Do believe I have recently, last two weeks, come down with what is a strong case of tinnitus; irritating, constant noise within my head. It is similar to a high pitched sound of steam escaping from a steam radiator vent, or maybe a constant electronic sound made when turning an oscilloscope.

Is definitely a major distraction and constant annoyance either coming from the ears, and centered in the brain ...... somewhere, in there.

If I am able to peddle up this huge health hill of a problem right now, all things considered, coasting down the hill on the good side of a tinnitus relief cure will be a major blessing.

Have I seen a medical doctor ...... not yet ...... will I see one ..... I had better go see the doctor, very soon.

Anyone here have any experience, suggestions, or advice on this very serious health issue I am experiencing ....... tinnitus?

I am age 69 and generally in very excellent health, and look forward to living to age 99 ...... but for now, i need to get this interior brain/ear irritant noise cured! ......
I have had it for many years...not much you can do about it. The more you think about it, the worse it gets. It would be worth your while to have it checked by a medical professional as there could be other underlying issues exacerbating the tinnitus...

Good luck!

Dan
BroadHopper (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 08:15 AM   #4
mhtranger

Dan beat me to it. I’ve lived with it for about 10 years. Not much you can do about it. I have read there are a few trials going on with medication but that’s not for me. If I don’t think about it I really don’t hear it?
mhtranger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mhtranger For This Useful Post:
dva (12-08-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 08:24 AM   #5
Sue Doe-Nym

I have it also, and you just learn to live with it. It would be interesting to know what causes it, and of course an easy cure would be welcome.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2020, 08:41 AM   #6
Kamper

Any new meds? Even OTC stuff can have this side effect.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:43 AM   #7
Blue Thunder

Tinnitus is also a symptom of Covid 19. I experienced it (and still have it) when I contracted the virus in September. All BS aside, FLL, call your doctor and get it checked. You may want to get tested as well. You may be asymptomatic other that that.

BT
Old 12-07-2020, 08:59 AM   #8
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Glad to hear I am not alone suffering with this insidious problem. I did go to my doctor who referred me to an ENT who then referred me to a neurologist. Brain scan and other tests ensued only to be told, in the end, there's not much you can do but learn to live with it.

Quote:
Millions of Americans experience tinnitus, often to a debilitating degree, making it one of the most common health conditions in the country. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control estimates that nearly 15% of the general public — over 50 million Americans — experience some form of tinnitus.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:30 AM   #9
coltgov101

Default Hearing issues

I have it also, for years, as did my mother. It bothered her, not so much me. The less I think about it the less I notice it. I'm 73.
coltgov101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #10
chaseisland

Default tinnitus

I've had it since 1986(age 42) so FLL you've enjoyed many good years without.
chaseisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:15 AM   #11
elbie

Try cleaning out your ears. That helps to a certain degree. Good Luck!
elbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #12
Fargo

Default Ears

I’ve had it for a couple years now. Seemed to happen after I put a cab on my Kubota and the engine noise was pretty loud in a confined space. If you flush your ears out that might be a quick easy fix. I had a $4,000 MRI to make sure nothing was going on inside my head. Doctor said it could get worse, get better or stay the same. I didn’t buy their hearing aid. The noise seems to vary during the day. Doesn’t seem to be a cure and I wear ear protection when using the tractor or power equipment. Just too little too late. Pretty annoying.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:53 AM   #13
dickiej

Limit caffeine intake...don't take ibuprofen..white noise machine in your bedroom will help you sleep....check blood pressure to make sure it isn't high...wear headphones and listen to soothing music (low volume) when you can...exercise--cardio vascular workouts help.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
GregW11 (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #14
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Limit caffeine intake...don't take ibuprofen..white noise machine in your bedroom will help you sleep....check blood pressure to make sure it isn't high...wear headphones and listen to soothing music (low volume) when you can...exercise--cardio vascular workouts help.
Interesting comment about ibuprofen, because I take it occasionally and have noticed the buzzing is louder, but thought it was my imagination.....hmmm.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:57 AM   #15
fmgate

Hi FLL. You might have better luck posting your questions on a tinnitus-specific forum such as www.tinnitustalk.com.
fmgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #16
lakeadoodle

Default Connection with Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Tinnitus is also a symptom of Covid 19. I experienced it (and still have it) when I contracted the virus in September. All BS aside, FLL, call your doctor and get it checked. You may want to get tested as well. You may be asymptomatic other that that.

BT
I also heard it can be related to Covid 19. Recommend testing.
lakeadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #17
Macavity

I had all the imaging 20 years ago and was told to live with it. It sounded like a low-pitched motor.

Then, a few months later, I was grousing about it to my chiropractor, and he said it was likely the sound of the blood pulsing through an artery (carotid?) in my neck. (I have TMJ as well, so that could be part of it.) Sure enough, it disappeared with an adjustment, obviously not an option mentioned by the ENT doctor.

It comes back at times, but it's way less annoying when you know it's not a permanent fixture.

This may not help anyone, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Mac
Macavity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:47 PM   #18
Winilyme

Default Welcome to Tinnitus Land

I have it too. It started about 30 years ago and I was alarmed at first. Had it checked out by some sort of ear expert. Asked lots of questions. At one point spent lots of time on the Internet researching 'cures'. It's kinda like snoring with lots of snake salesmen selling the magic bullet.

My 'cure' was to accept it and since then it hasn't bothered me at all. Sure, I wish I didn't have it but it hasn't impacted my quality of life at all. As with others here, it's worse at times than at others. Such as right now, as I type, it's about as loud as it ever gets. Yet, if I didn't see this post, I wouldn't have been aware of it. The one thing I do remember being told or reading is that it doesn't affect your hearing which, in my case, I agree with.

After you get over the initial alarm, you can get used to it. Good luck.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
ApS (12-09-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #19
Woody38

My wife and I both have this condition. Hers worse than mine. We both have hearing aids which help tremendously. Mostly I don't wear mine all
the time. The condition is intermittent and sometimes lasts for a short period.
We both were tested with some hearing deficiency many years ago. My wife takes Lipo Flavanoid which may aliveate somewhat. If you need hearing aids I recommend Costco. They will check your hearing and give you the aid needed. Their cost is unbeatable, warranted and if you lose one it is replaced for free. The subsequent one is nor replaced free.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:16 PM   #20
itchiepants

Im 56 and have had it for more than 10 years.

If you are familliar with Reddit, there is a subreddit for everything under the sun including tinnitus and hearing loss.

There is some very interesting reading that would lead one to believe there is a drug on the horizon for hearing loss and possibly tinnitus. I think it might be out before you hit 99. Lets hope much sooner.
itchiepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:06 PM   #21
dpg

In general what causes it???
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:04 PM   #22
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
In general what causes it???
There are a few known causes but I think the biggest is simply hearing damage from excessive loud noises. Mine was brought on from 35 years of competitive rifle shooting as well as working on loud construction sites for many years.

Keeping your blood pressure in check definitely helps. Any way to strengthen your cardio also seems to help. The healthier you are the less you seem to be aware of it.

Somebody delete this thread so the ringing stops!!

Dan
mhtranger (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 06:56 AM   #23
fatlazyless

Thanks for all your comments, at least it is a little bit of encouragement to know it is not so uncommon a problem, tinnitus.

The sound I hear right now inside my brain, or inside my ears, is a hissing white noise sound that on a scale from 0-10 is about a 4. It seems like it is worst after sleeping all night and waking up to it. If it gets any louder than a 4, it will probably be seriously disruptive.

During the day when engaged in activities it seems to dissipate and not be so noticeable. For the past three days I've been hula-hooping with a weighted 6-lb health hoop down on my dock in the lake, with a "Caliente" Hispanic classic hits cd booming out the latin beat for exercise as a way to help escape the tinnitus terror that happens when not distracted by either chores or exercise ..... with Gloria Estefan!

Never-ever had this problem before? On Monday, November 9, I had my ears cleaned by a local hearing professional and got poked in the ear drum at the start ...... have no clue if this is related?

So I went to Walmart and spent about ten dollars on ear cleaning items; water spritzer, ear drops, and cleaning tool, and taking long showers, and cleaning out the ears. If anything it seems like my cleaning effort is making it worse, but it seems to me like tinnitus must come from some type of inner ear issue.

It seems like it is mentally distracting, the white noise lulls you into a too relaxed state and you become forgetfull ...... you forget to take a left turn, or go to the store, or leave a bag in the car ..... stuff like that. It seems like just simple outdoors walking is a good escape.

As for now .... it is very bad .... distracting, annoying, depressing, dismal ..... and I definitely look forward to getting over this very bad health situation.

Contrary to my forum name, fatlazyless, am actually 6'2", 207-lbs and athletic, and have always been able to get over health issues in the past, including a large melanoma cancer tumor removal from my left upper arm in 2017 ...... so's I will get over this, too.

And, thanks again for all your comments, it makes me feel like I am not so alone with this problem.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:04 AM   #24
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

I have had it for about 12 years and it is only on one side. It started after a motorcycle accident that I struck the left side of my head on the pavement. Among other injuries I had a brain bleed, something a helmet would certainly have helped. I lost about 15% of the hearing on that side too but that may be due to the ringing.

I have read about some solutions but have been told by professionals that there is really no good cure.

If I do not think about it I can ignore it, so I guess I should stop reading this thread!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #25
ApS

Exclamation It's That Free Coffee! But Live with It...

I heard random high-pitched beeps at age 11. I was sure that Jupiter (not Mars) was trying to contact me! About age 17, it turned to "real" tinnitus, and became especially annoying when at a silent and frozen Lake Winnipesaukee at Christmas, before snowmobiles were a "thing".

No reason could be ascribed to having developed it, nor any relief proffered. After 60 years, it's still annoying, but only when I think of it.

Like now!

It hasn't interfered with "birding by ear", and generally, my hearing is still very good. Attention, however, does affect the first few words of a conversation.

Several hearing tests produced many high-pitched beeps, but none have landed on the exact high frequency I am constantly "hearing".

Another ear problem I have is attributed to "tensor tympani". Its a "rushing" sound in both ears that surfaces when watching someone getting hurt! It's sort of an aural version of an empathy signal, like Deanna Troi suffers at Star Trek--TNG.

Adding recently to that, is Anisometropia in eyesight, which is far more annoying than tinnitus!

Lately, tinnitus gets much more intense after the evening meal. The doctor says it's caffeine, but I'm not giving up coffee!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:48 PM   #26
ApS

Arrow The Product — Synapse XT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Any new meds? Even OTC stuff can have this side effect.
I just watched a very long presentation touting a Tinnitus cure. (The problem is a generalized brain disorder and not an ear problem).

Ultimately, the producers wanted to sell a half-dozen bottles of an exotic "cure". I thought it was pricey, so I checked Amazon for reviews.

Overwhelmingly, the reviewers rejected Synapx XT as a waste of money!
Old 08-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #27
TiltonBB

I have had tinnitus for about 12 years. I had a motorcycle accident (Self defense: the responsible party plead guilty in court) and struck my head on the pavement, in addition to other body parts that took a beating. Brain bleed, broken ribs, slight hearing loss Etc.

The tinnitus started then and I do not believe anyone who says they have a cure. I have been to the best:Mass Eye and Ear Etc. After some time you learn to accept it and ignore it.

It comes back when I think about it after reading posts like the recent thread from FLL, or anything else that reminds me it is still there. Otherwise I am fortunate to be able to ignore it.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:31 PM   #28
trfour

Post The cure?

[

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Fact+c...ANNTA1&PC=HCTS

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:03 AM   #29
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Tinnitus

Been profound hard of hearing since birth. I suffer from tinnitus and treat it as a normal part of my processing.

As hearing aids become more powerful and micro processing of sounds become the norm, tinnitus also increases. There is no known cure, but I found positive thinking and relaxation helps tremendously. Thinking about it or dwelling on it makes it worst!
ApS (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 08:08 AM   #30
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
As hearing aids become more powerful and micro processing of sounds become the norm, tinnitus also increases.
Please expand on this idea. I was given hearing aids a few months ago for loss on the high end after my hearing was measured as part of a visit to understand newly discovered tinnitus...
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:24 AM   #31
fatlazyless

Default .... unbearable tinnitus!

There's a lot more that I do not know about tinnitus than what I do know as a tinnitus sufferer.

Starting July 25 I have been taking Nortriptyline HCL 10mg cap, one pill at bedtime to help get a better night sleeping, what with the big, bad tinnitus waking me up, and making sleep difficult. It was prescribed to me by an ENT doctor at the Mass Eye and Ear in Boston, and it does help but puts me into a daze in the early morning, like till about 10-am. I usually go for a two mile walk and wander around Waterville Valley as a way to walk off the Nortriptyline daze and for mental health purposes.

You know there can be a dark and deadly end with tinnitus that makes some tinnitus sufferers go off the deep end, and actually do it to themselves ..... http://www.forbes.com/sites/ninashap...h=b630a8529403 which is a very good reason to not have a hand gun ...... is too easy ..... is too deadly. People with suicidal thoughts can get over it and regain their sense of well being. Sticking a gun in your ear is not a good way to fix your tinnitus problemo ....... like NO kidding ....

Kent Taylor, age-65 ..... tinnitus suicide .... http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/03/20/k...-founder-dies/ .... September 27, 1955 - March 18, 2021
Newbiesaukee (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 08:41 AM   #32
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
There's a lot more that I do not know about tinnitus than what I do know as a tinnitus sufferer.

Starting July 25 I have been taking Nortriptyline HCL 10mg cap, one pill at bedtime to help get a better night sleeping, what with the big, bad tinnitus waking me up, and making sleep difficult. It was prescribed to me by an ENT doctor at the Mass Eye and Ear in Boston, and it does help but puts me into a daze in the early morning, like till about 10-am. I usually go for a two mile walk and wander around Waterville Valley as a way to walk off the Nortriptyline daze and for mental health purposes.

You know there can be a dark and deadly end with tinnitus that makes some tinnitus sufferers go off the deep end, and actually do it to themselves ..... http://www.forbes.com/sites/ninashap...h=b630a8529403 which is a very good reason to not have a hand gun ...... is too easy ..... is too deadly. People with suicidal thoughts can get over it and regain their sense of well being. Sticking a gun in your ear is not a good way to fix your tinnitus problemo ....... like no kidding ....
I believe you may find that if you take your Nortriptyline several hours earlier in the evening then you may feel far better each morning. This could help you out substantially (you may want to double check this with your Doctor).

Glad to hear you are doing better these days! Keep thinking positive.
TheTimeTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:26 AM   #33
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Please expand on this idea. I was given hearing aids a few months ago for loss on the high end after my hearing was measured as part of a visit to understand newly discovered tinnitus...
I have a friend who has lost hearing on the high end, like babies crying and women screaming. He says his hearing is now perfect!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-03-2021), ITD (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 10:25 AM   #34
Newbiesaukee

Glad that FLL is finally getting some relief.

As an aside, the medication FLL is on is one of the older antidepressants known as tricyclics which have been shown to help both tinnitus and depression.

On the other hand, the newer and usually more effective antidepressants, known as SSRI’s, such as Prozac, may aggravate tinnitus.

This is important, as depression and tinnitus frequently come together; and the usually more effective antidepressants, the SSRI’s, probably are best not used for tinnitus.

Every patient is different and you need to consult your physician if any of this applies to you.

( Yes, this is the usual CYA comment, but it is important.)

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:41 AM   #35
XCR-700

Quote:

You know there can be a dark and deadly end with tinnitus that makes some tinnitus sufferers go off the deep end, and actually do it to themselves ..... http://www.forbes.com/sites/ninashap...h=b630a8529403 which is a very good reason to not have a hand gun ...... is too easy ..... is too deadly. People with suicidal thoughts can get over it and regain their sense of well being. Sticking a gun in your ear is not a good way to fix your tinnitus problemo ....... like NO kidding ....

Kent Taylor, age-65 ..... tinnitus suicide .... http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/03/20/k...-founder-dies/ .... September 27, 1955 - March 18, 2021
WOW, strikes me as an odd concept that tinnitus would be the cause for anyone to commit suicide,,,

I have suffered it for decades, highly variable from modest to almost fever like ringing and never thought enough about it to even seek medical treatment. Like most things I suffer medically there is usually no relief from the medical industry.

You go to the doctor for a pain in the neck and they tell that you are overdue for a colonoscopy and you need BP meds, then you go to the doctor for a painful knee and they tell that you glucose is too high and you need meds, then you go to the doctor for a pain in your foot and they tell that you again that you are overdue for a colonoscopy and you need thyroid meds.

You never get what you complain about fixed, but you get a bunch of meds for something you didnt complain about and you are constantly being sold on colonoscopy or other invasive things even if you have no family history, you problems related to the suggested actions, and no other tests indicate a problem.

So for tinnitus I have never considered seeing a doctor myself.

I suppose it could be so bad you couldnt hear other people or sounds, but I have not yet met anyone that told me they suffered so.

Is there some other impact than just the ringing in your ears???

Suicide seem like such an odd thing to be talking about in conjunction with tinnitus I feel like I must be missing something here, as I sit here with my ears ringing like crazy today,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:45 AM   #36
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Glad that FLL is finally getting some relief.

As an aside, the medication FLL is on is one of the older antidepressants known as tricyclics which have been shown to help both tinnitus and depression.

On the other hand, the newer and usually more effective antidepressants, known as SSRI’s, such as Prozac, may aggravate tinnitus.

This is important, as depression and tinnitus frequently come together; and the usually more effective antidepressants, the SSRI’s, probably are best not used for tinnitus.

Every patient is different and you need to consult your physician if any of this applies to you.

( Yes, this is the usual CYA comment, but it is important.)
Is it believe that the depression is caused by the tinnitus, or they are separate problems that appear to happen with overlap???

Trying to understand cause and effect and relationship of these two afflictions, if there are in fact any actual connections between the two.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2021, 10:57 AM   #37
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Is it believe that the depression is caused by the tinnitus, or they are separate problems that appear to happen with overlap???

Trying to understand cause and effect and relationship of these two afflictions, if there are in fact any actual connections between the two.

Thanks
This is not my area of expertise, but there does seem to be a complicated relationship between tinnitus and depression.

Many patients with no prior history of depression, can become depressed after developing tinnitus. Seems logical. This is real and has been known for a long time.

On the other hand, being depressed does appear to be a risk factor to developing tinnitus. If you are depressed, you have a greater chance of developing tinnitus.

Neuroimaging, such as MRIs and more sophisticated equipment, are being used to investigate the depression/tinnitus relationship.

It’s a little like the “chicken and egg” discussion and the answers are not yet clear. But it is relatively new information on both of these unfortunately common problems.

I didn’t really know about this “new stuff” so had to do some Googling when FLL started discussing his problem.

Last edited by Newbiesaukee; 08-02-2021 at 11:27 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 11:20 AM   #38
fatlazyless

For someone to kill themselves with a hand gun to escape their tinnitus suffering, it must have been a very loud and constant hissing/ringing that drove him to actually do it.

Ever hear this saying?

"It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it." .....

So's in a moment of total desperation he actually pulled the trigger on himself?
Old 08-02-2021, 12:05 PM   #39
XCR-700

Quote:
For someone to kill themselves with a hand gun to escape their tinnitus suffering, it must have been a very loud and constant hissing/ringing that drove him to actually do it.

Ever hear this saying?

"It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it." .....

So's in a moment of total desperation he actually pulled the trigger on himself?
Well I'm sure if anything is severe enough it can cause people to reach their limits, and at that point does it matter if its a bottle of BP meds of driving a car off a cliff or a gun. The notion that the gun is critical to the option of suicide doesn't make sense to me. I personally think if there comes a time when I have outlived my ability to care for myself or are suffering some awful medical problem that there is no fix for that a chemical option is best. The gun option is too risky, things go wrong and you could end up much worse off if you survived. But thats all way too far off topic.

Hoping the tinnitus being so bad it causes suicidal thoughts is something that only happens to the very few and only under the worst situations.

For the rest of us one would we each find coping methods.

I certainly hope none of you fellow sufferers reach such a point of desperation from tinnitus.

Sorry I have no meaningful coping methods to share. My tinnitus is really annoying, but I mostly just ignore it and focus on my many other problems and working on being a cranky old guy driving my family (and I guess sometimes you all) crazy and trying to enjoy that.

ATB
Old 08-02-2021, 12:14 PM   #40
fatlazyless

It must have been a loud irritating hissing/bell sound inside his head that went on for hours and days and weeks and months that was seriously annoying?

For him, the Texas Smoke House guy, it was no joke.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:48 PM   #41
XCR-700

Quote:
It must have been a loud irritating hissing/bell sound inside his head that went on for hours and days and weeks and months that was seriously annoying?

For him, the Texas Smoke House guy, it was no joke.
I doubt its a joke for anyone.

I suspect for most they are able to ignore it most of the time like I do, and unfortunately there appears to be folks like you for who it is bad enough to need/seek treatment.

I really cant comment on the treatment aspect as I have yet to go down that path.

When my time comes, I hope to just keel over dead with a big SEG and two frozen drinks (empty) in my hands while sitting in a lawn chair in the water on Key West before I need treatment for anything else. The waves can carry my body to Davy Jones Locker. I should be so lucky,,,
Old 08-02-2021, 05:57 PM   #42
Cindido

I've been wearing hearing aides for a couple of years now. I don't notice my tinnitus at all while I'm wearing them. When not wearing them, I'm usually able to ignore the ringing in my ears. Thankfully, it doesn't wake me up at night - that must be awful. I guess everyone is different, but I find relief from tinnitus by wearing hearing aides.
Cindido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:39 PM   #43
ITD

Quote:

Ever hear this saying?

Less, never buy a gun, someone innocent will get hurt, maybe yourself. I missed the post where you found relief, but I'm very happy you did.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:02 PM   #44
Woody38

Tinnitus is a difficult situation and very little helps. First get a hearing test and follow up with hearing aids. Not a cure but will help the hearing from getting worse. Get aids at Costco, they are the best and no one beats the price. My wife had one aid and her audiologist left to move home and referred her to another. Visiting her she broke one of her aids and told us it would cost $9,000+ for each of us plus the insurance. We got aids at Costco for $1,999. Cost us around $400 out of pocket. Good warranty, free replacement if we break one etc. Come in any time for evaluation and new parts. On my last visit she said I was now out of warranty, however there was an upgrade which I received free. Now I have extremely little ringing and not often. My only concern is that sometimes things are too loud but there is a control that does help.

Old 08-03-2021, 05:00 AM   #45
fatlazyless

Ok so it's 5:30 in the morning and I'm hearing this very loud white noise whistle running through my head/brain right now. I had not looked at this thread on tinnitus for months but just read my first post again from December. And, there's another thread way down the bottom of the table of contents labelled "What happened to FLL?" ...... all about my tinnitus tragedy.

Back in May when I went to the ENT-Otolaryngology Dept at the Concord Hospital in Laconia I was very very concerned that what I was hearing was dementia. If something walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it's a duck. Well ...... not actually knowing how dementia works but having this loud white hiss noise happening, I was seriously concerned that it was dementing or dementia-ing my brain as it was a new and very disturbing to have it happening. Well ...... that was a few months ago ..... and I am stiil here with the ability to write and think pretty clearly .... and have been told the best thing is to just try to ignore the white hissing noise and think about something else. That is really difficult to do when you are just wanting to go back to sleep, so here I am, writing about it?

Something about walking or swimming makes it go away, so that's what I do, I walk-swim it away and have lost a little weight what with all this exercise and the depression also make eating food less of a wanted habit to be doing.

For now with my 8-month history with tinnitus, I suppose I am getting more used to it and have less anxiety and less being scared. I was at first having huge anxiety and being very scared. It is debilitating and makes you much less competent as a functioning person which is a big, big problem so coexisting with the tinnitus is not so easy ...... which is why I take all these long walks ..... to escape the tinnitus.

I suppose I am rambling here with this written post ...... and am just commenting as I think about it and have the white hissing noise happening. It is very much a personal health disaster, happening to me. Possibly the anti-depressant, the Nortriptyline 10mg helps me to be so calm while experiencing the white noise hiss. Is time to get up and go take a long walk down that Mad River trail, about 2-miles around Waterville Valley and walk it out and away. And, the outdoor temp here is a cool 44-degrees ...... honest ...... 44-degrees on August 3 at 6:15-am here at altitude 1800' ...... that's a little cold, you know for August 3.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:30 AM   #46
ApS

Question Tall Buildings and Bridges...?

Quote:

Is there a mention of a firearm-suicide--if so--where?

Another tricyclic (Amitriptyline) was prescribed for me after a long bout of sleeplessness caused by Prednisolone eye drops. (Shingles-related iritis).

It may be an "old standby", but try harder to adjust to the high pitch of tinnitus' "ringing", than to rely on prescription drugs.

Consider your long-standing free caffeine "fix" to be the trigger of the problem.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:48 AM   #47
XCR-700

Quote:
Ok so it's 5:30 in the morning and I'm hearing this very loud white noise whistle running through my head/brain right now. I had not looked at this thread on tinnitus for months but just read my first post again from December. And, there's another thread way down the bottom of the table of contents labelled "What happened to FLL?" ...... all about my tinnitus tragedy.

Back in May when I went to the ENT-Otolaryngology Dept at the Concord Hospital in Laconia I was very very concerned that what I was hearing was dementia. If something walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it's a duck. Well ...... not actually knowing how dementia works but having this loud white hiss noise happening, I was seriously concerned that it was dementing or dementia-ing my brain as it was a new and very disturbing to have it happening. Well ...... that was a few months ago ..... and I am stiil here with the ability to write and think pretty clearly .... and have been told the best thing is to just try to ignore the white hissing noise and think about something else. That is really difficult to do when you are just wanting to go back to sleep, so here I am, writing about it?

Something about walking or swimming makes it go away, so that's what I do, I walk-swim it away and have lost a little weight what with all this exercise and the depression also make eating food less of a wanted habit to be doing.

For now with my 8-month history with tinnitus, I suppose I am getting more used to it and have less anxiety and less being scared. I was at first having huge anxiety and being very scared. It is debilitating and makes you much less competent as a functioning person which is a big, big problem so coexisting with the tinnitus is not so easy ...... which is why I take all these long walks ..... to escape the tinnitus.

I suppose I am rambling here with this written post ...... and am just commenting as I think about it and have the white hissing noise happening. It is very much a personal health disaster, happening to me. Possibly the anti-depressant, the Nortriptyline 10mg helps me to be so calm while experiencing the white noise hiss. Is time to get up and go take a long walk down that Mad River trail, about 2-miles around Waterville Valley and walk it out and away. And, the outdoor temp here is a cool 44-degrees ...... honest ...... 44-degrees on August 3 at 6:15-am here at altitude 1800' ...... that's a little cold, you know for August 3.
Well i think this post is very telling. You may want to re-read it again in the future to see your progress.

Some observations:

First, it appears that you are new to tinnitus, unlike many of us who have had this for a very long time and it started when we were much younger. I think like any problem, if it begins when you younger you often adapt with less concern and resistance and learn to accept the change all a bit easier (for many) So I'm not at all surprised its more concerning to you having this just turn on and later in life.

Second, as you said you are getting used to it, in time I hope like most of us sufferers you will learn to mostly ignore it. Maybe not 100%, but it becomes less bothersome for many with time.

Third, if it does not become less concerning and bothersome, and depression becomes worse, then like some ailments such as arthritis or diabetes you should seek support and help. There may be significant relief just consulting with professionals and getting a better understanding about what you are dealing with, as well as the possibility of some new medical treatment as they do come along all the time.

Forth, and maybe most important, dont suffer in silence, if nothing else, venting and hearing about others experiences helps.

Anyone who said life was easy forgot about the other half of us who didnt get the free pass. For us, life is constantly throwing you curveballs and testing our limits. So it becomes a battle of will, the stubborn will survive, but you have to fight for it, as we didnt get life handed on silver platter.

I often joke about reincarnation, that I am not coming back unless I can remember all the mistakes I made in this life so I have half a chance of avoiding them next time, I insist on being better looking, smarter, being born a bit less poor, and if that doesnt work, maybe I could come back as some wealthy persons pampered dog!

But seriously, I hope you are on the path to a better place with this, and it sounds like through exercise you have found a way to take your focus off it. Hopefully in time you will find other means of distraction and relief, possibly listening to soothing music, rowing a boat across the water listening to the water slap the hull, etc.

ATB
Old 08-03-2021, 03:44 PM   #48
fatlazyless

Nine different videos on tinnitus: http://www.masseyeandear.org/patient...nnitus-seminar

Recommended: 'What's new in tinnitus' video

Listening to my big, bad, loud, roaring, hissing tinnitus it is absolutely necessary for me to pursue a tinnitus cure for the rest of my life, no matter how long it takes, and no matter how expensive it costs. This problem is that bad, today, right now at this time.

Never give up!

I must find a way to beat this unbearable tinnitus!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-03-2021 at 06:16 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:13 PM   #49
XCR-700

Quote:
Nine different videos on tinnitus: http://www.masseyeandear.org/patient...nnitus-seminar

Listening to my big, bad, loud, roaring, hissing tinnitus it is absolutely necessary for me to pursue a tinnitus cure for the rest of my life, no matter how long it takes, and no matter how expensive it costs. This problem is that bad, today, right now at this time.

Never give up!

I must find a way to beat this tinnitus!
So interesting to hear such a different experience with tinnitus.

For me its clearly an annoyance that I would rather not have, but not more than that. And on occasion I must admit to using it as an excuse for not hearing others :-)

But mine is NEVER bad enough to cause me stress, well not so far. So I am lucky enough that I can mostly ignore it.

I cannot imagine it being so troublesome that I became stressed out over it. I can see how that could unravel you as it never stops, NEVER,,,

My sympathies. Good luck in your quest to find a cure.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:14 PM   #50
Water Camper

Default Tinnitus

I have had tinnitus for well over 20 years. I believe mine is related to the fact that I have been playing rock and roll music for over 50 years and the music in the 60s, 70s and 80s was extremely loud.

I have tried numerous over the counter supposed cures, but have yet to find one that actually works. I find distraction to help the most. It is worst at night when I am trying to sleep.

Good luck FLL, if you find something that actually works, Please Share, as there are many of us out there.

Thanks,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 05:24 PM   #51
SailinAway

Quote:

Contrary to my forum name, fatlazyless, am actually 6'2", 207-lbs and athletic, .
Whaat? You're not really fat and lazy? Well I'll be! I'll have to change my mental picture of you.

I had pulsatile tinnitus for a couple of years. It started around the time when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. It disappeared when I improved my diet, lost weight, increased my exercise, and lowered my blood pressure. I did read once that pulsatile tinnitues can be a symptom of a heart problem. My anecdotal experience was that it was related to overall health (in my case, not necessarily in your case).

My best suggestion is earphones and a recording that resembles this white noise you're hearing, so as to mask it. See what you think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L46YN8Q948 I listen to that while I'm working and it really helps me focus. There are lots of other possibilities for music, of course.

I discovered recently that listening to NPR with earphones at bedtime puts me to sleep in about 10 minutes. This small radio automatically turns off after 90 minutes to save the batteries:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheaper version that doesn't turn off automatically, pretty good sound: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very good, cheap, flat earphones, better for sleeping on your side: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You may notice that the noise is louder if you sleep on one side that the other. If so, switch sides.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 03:57 AM   #52
ApS

Question Asymptomatic for Covid-19?

FLL's tinnitus condition parallels the onslaught of COVID-19!

Quote:
[The] British Tinnitus Association (BTA) reported a 256% rise in the number of webchats from May to December 2020 compared with the same period in 2019. And calls to its helpline increased by 16%.

The statement also spotlighted the importance of helping those who are socially isolated or experiencing COVID-19-related difficulties get the hearing care they need.
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/c...-tinnitus/amp/
Old 11-25-2021, 03:48 PM   #53
dickiej

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
.... age-70 & suffering terrible chronic tinnitus ... omg!

Try CBD with turmeric…cleared up my tinnnitus…
Old 11-25-2021, 07:03 PM   #54
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Try CBD with turmeric…cleared up my tinnnitus…
Googling 'CBD with turmeric' ...... I came up with http://www.wayofleaf.com/cbd/product...-with-turmeric ..... this is a totally new remedy to me, and I have twice seen a medical doctor, an otolaryngologist, ear nose & throat M.D. person at Mass Eye & Ear in Boston with a degree from Harvard Univ. and Albert Einstein College of Medicine who's best advice was "don't listen to it, the tinnitus" ..... which is an IMPOSSIBLE situation so I am seriously interested in your suggestion on 'CBD with turmeric'.

Can you give me CBD with turmeric product info like what is the brand name and dosage on the pill bottle so I can order it. Where do I go to get it?

.... thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-25-2021 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:24 AM   #55
dickiej

www.irwinnaturals.com. CBD+turmeric….soft liquid gel tabs. I take one in the morning, one in the evening. Helps with sleep, inflammation, anxiety, tinnitus, etc. I can buy them at my local drug store, or on line. It’s been a noticeable help.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:28 AM   #56
dickiej

Sorry…www.irwinnaturals.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (11-26-2021), trfour (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 12:06 PM   #57
Winilyme

Well, this is certainly going to be an interesting experiment. FLL - you will need to keep us updated.

Good luck.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:10 PM   #58
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Hey, does anyone know if CBD makes users any better at contributing seriously to forums? Asking for a friend.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:26 PM   #59
Winilyme

Sounds like we may find out. Although, FLL isn't going to be happy to find that the CBD with Turmeric appears to be sold out.

Same website offers 75 gel tablets called 'Steel-Libido RED'. That should help in other ways.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:43 PM   #60
pondguy

I would think most health food stores would have CBD, or he could go to the Sanctuary ATC store at 568 Tenney Mountain Highway in Plymouth next time he goes to Market Basket.
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:55 PM   #61
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default I knoiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Hey, does anyone know if CBD makes users any better at contributing seriously to forums? Asking for a friend.
You can tell your friend "we all know."
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 01:35 PM   #62
Woody38

If you are going to take Turmeric, note that it is contraindicated if one is taking Warfarin or other blood thinners.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:43 PM   #63
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondguy View Post
I would think most health food stores would have CBD, or he could go to the Sanctuary ATC store at 568 Tenney Mountain Highway in Plymouth next time he goes to Market Basket.
i know exactly where that is, is at the corner of Bog Rd and Tenney Mtn Hgwy, even though the road name sign for Bog Rd has been missing for about 15-years.

Possibly, cutting down on that Walmart brand French Roast strong coffee, $3.92/12 k-pods, which tastes totally excellent would be smart thing for me to do for starters.

Plus I just ordered a book titled "Tinnitus No More: The Complete Guide On Tinnitus Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, & Natural Tinnitus Remedies to Get Rid of Ringing Ears Once and for All" - April 12, 2014 by Brian M Lawrence for $7.99 at Amazon. Let's see what he has to say?
Old 11-26-2021, 09:13 PM   #64
Mr. V

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but my tinnitus seems to have eased a bit since I got my high blood pressure under control.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:05 AM   #65
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Maybe it's just a coincidence, but my tinnitus seems to have eased a bit since I got my high blood pressure under control.
You know I had a physical exam, about one week ago at Mid-State Health in Plymouth, and the MD told me that tinnitus is a hearing problem and I should go see an audiologist to get some hearing aids.

My blood pressure was 120/72 which are good, safe numbers.

My tinnitus is at its worst at about 4-am and just about every morning, except when it is raining hard, I go take a 2-mile walk down along the Mad River Trail and back around Waterville Valley, and walking usually makes the tinnitus lower its volume and/or disappear almost entirely.

Was my tinnitus caused by the Covid-19? I don't know? I have had three vaxxes of Pfizer in May, June, Sept 2021 and the tinnitus started in Dec 2020 and maybe a month earlier in Nov. Starting in May-2021 it got much louder, and the months of May-June-July were what I consider to be three months of HIGH mental distress trying to adjust with living with the constant noise of loud tinnitus. I have not had any flu like symptoms of congested lungs or any breathing problems or fever that are common to Covid so it seems unlikely it is Covid related.

It's like I sort of get used to it, but at the same time do not really get used to it, and it usually goes away in the afternoon and evening and then comes back at 3-4am in the middle of the night after a visit to the bathroom.

Swimming and playing tennis or pickleball seems to make it disappear entirely, and walking or bicycling are good relief as well. I have lost about 15-lbs going from 6'2" and 212-lbs last December down to 196-lbs so the tinnitus drives me to be more active plus I am a big eater of roast beef, turkey and Italian subs, made-to-order for $5.29 at the Market Basket, plus Brigham's ice cream with Smucker's hot fudge. ..... .... Yes, I just used up all the hot fudge, yesterday, by placing the container upside down in the microwave and miking it for 15-seconds on high to liquify the hot fudge, just like real $6.98 real maple syrup from Walmart! ...
Old 11-27-2021, 11:12 AM   #66
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

I hope that humorous posts aren’t forbidden on this forum. Everything doesn’t need to be serious and FLL’s posts are amusing to many.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (11-27-2021), PENIVISA (11-27-2021), pondguy (11-27-2021), TiltonBB (11-27-2021), trfour (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 12:34 PM   #67
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
I hope that humorous posts aren’t forbidden on this forum. Everything doesn’t need to be serious and FLL’s posts are amusing to many.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Yeah, it was just a joke. If you look back, you'll see I've been a supporter of FLL (though I struggle with his cheapness/time waste).

Old 11-27-2021, 12:43 PM   #68
pondguy

I think the proper term is frugal.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:23 PM   #69
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondguy View Post
I think the proper term is frugal.
The line from frugal to cheap is a fine one, to be sure, but putting oneself in a situation that could lead to death to save a few bucks—a la tire rotation with insufficient equipment—is absolutely the latter!

Old 11-27-2021, 01:32 PM   #70
pondguy

Agreed, somethings are best left to the professionals.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:03 PM   #71
mhtranger

Irwin CBD + turmeric is available at The Vitamin Shoppe $24.99
mhtranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:05 PM   #72
TheProfessor

Bed time.

For some. Listening to music, radio, or Alexa nature sounds can help with sleep. Others may just leave the bedroom TV on.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 05:26 PM   #73
fatlazyless

Default ..... Tinnitus No More and CBD!(?)

Arriving on Wednesday and Thursday from Amazon, this week, are two books on Tinnitus: "Tinnitus No More: The Complete Guide on Tinnitus Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, & Natural Tinnitus Remedies to get Get Rid of Ringing Ears Once and for All" by Brian M Lawrence, $7.99; and "CBD Oil Overview: Control Anxiety, Depression, And Pain With CBD Oil: Turmeric Cbd Oil Benefits" by Billy Hoxit, $8.99.

So all you forum readers out there who are reading this ......how the heck about this!!! ...... for about $17 I will become the foremost expert ever, ever, ever ......that ever lived ..... for reducing the causation and deleterious effects of tinnitus from within the human race for the last 15,000-years! ...... Harvard University Med School and The Albert Einstein College of Medicine won't know what I know about tinnitus ....... absolutely-positively-absolutely ......

Not too shabby for $16.98 & shipping! ......
Old 11-28-2021, 06:07 PM   #74
SailinAway

FLL, you're right, your blood pressure is good. Glad you got that checked. I had a similar experience to yours: my tinnitus was a lot worse lying down, especially on one side compared to the other. If you wake up at 4 a.m. and it's bothering you, I suggest using headphones and sleep music. See my post above for specifics. The music does two things: it drowns out the tinnitus, and it lulls you back to sleep. Also, maybe avoid drinking liquids close to bedtime so you're not awakened in the middle of the night?

Check this list of medications that can cause tinnitus: https://www.goodrx.com/blog/these-11...g-in-the-ears/

I assume you had your ear canals examined for wax? Wax can cause increased pressure in the ear.

One last suggestion: bedtime stories or sleep meditations on YouTube. I find those effective if I turn the TV screen away to avoid the light.

Sleep meditation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Ay9v7gK9w

Bedtime stories: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4fBgXgxjjg

There is hope, FLL. Tinnitus sometimes goes away on its own. I don't have it at all today.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:47 PM   #75
fatlazyless

What seems to work well for getting me back to sleep at 4-am is to listen to "Lisa P Hikes day 1-190" ...... You Tube video ..... 190 different videos from March to October, 2021 with 41-year old Lisa Parker ..... aka "Tex" ...... hiking the entire Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine, alone by herself with a smart phone self-video held on a walking pole while she is walking.

It makes me feel like I am along with Lisa P. for the hike, going the 2200-mile distance.

I turn the laptop around backwards and just listen to the audio, and usually fall asleep!

To find it, Google: "Lisa P Hikes - Day 1" and I wake up feeling like I've just hiked 18-miles or so, somewhere in Rock-sylvania ......aka Pennsylvania, or somewhere. ....
Old 11-30-2021, 01:33 PM   #76
Grant

Hey FLL,

Do you have any other symptoms? Occasional vertigo, balance issues, partial hearing loss in one or both ears? If so, get an ENT to evaluate for Meniere's Disease--it's a vestibular (inner ear) issue that causes (among other annoying, sometimes debilitating things) tinnitus. It usually hits folks in their 40s and 50s. I'm battling it now, and I'm 60.

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2021, 01:14 PM   #77
trfour

I hope this helps.

https://nihao01.top/pages/26uip5

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (12-12-2021), Sue Doe-Nym (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 01:31 PM   #78
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
Thanks VERY much for posting this ..... appreciate it ..... will seriously look into it over the next few days.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:53 PM   #79
Newbiesaukee

I know people are trying to help…but this whole thing is an infomercial with no real evidence the stuff does anything. There really is no regulation for the product, no proof it even has in it what it claims. It’s similar to all the other ads for memory enhancement, improved male performance, etc. ( Not that I need any of that).

It’s a quirk of the regulations that almost any product that’s not inherently dangerous can claim anything as long as it includes in unreadable small print that basically the company is making no claim that really it works.

If you really care, the disclaimer is at the end of the article.

It’s not necessarily dangerous just no real reason to think it would work better than asparagus. If you read the whole thing ( yes, I have too much time on my hands) it seems to claim to cure just about anything that ails you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 08:24 PM   #80
fatlazyless

Similarly, about two weeks ago I found a paper back book, 51-pages with large print and double-spaced, for $7.98 titled 'CBD Oil Overview.' Within the Amazon ordering info it says written by Billy Hoxit. On the book itself there is no author what-so-ever and on the last page it says "Made in the U.S.A., Middletown DE, 29 November 2021."

So I am taking no medication what-so-ever for my tinnitus medical problem and usually have two cups of coffee each day, French roast and classic roast, as my ONLY medication.

Back in July, an MD at the Mass Eye & Ear, an ENT, saw me and prescribed Nortriptyline HCL 10mg cap, "take one capsule at bedtime" and I only used it for about four nights before stopping because it made me sleep till 10-am, too long a sleep.

Tinnitus is really complicated, the way it comes and goes, starts and stops, can be weak or strong with no rhyme or reason. Is usually worst in the middle of the night, like at 4-am, and best in the afternoon at 4-pm, but it can happen anytime and last for 24-hours, straight.

For the months of May, June, and July it felt like I was in continuous nervous breakdown mode but over time those feelings pass by and I sort of get used to it, but not really used to it. I just live with it.

What seems to work the best is walking, swimming, pickleball, physical activity ..... I walk about 2.5-miles almost every day and have lost about 15-lbs in the last 12-months.

At its worst it makes it difficult to focus, makes me edgy, and I have to try extra hard to get ordinary tasks like housekeeping done and I just accept it when I don't get something done, and try again later on, or the next day.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:53 AM   #81
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I know people are trying to help…but this whole thing is an infomercial with no real evidence the stuff does anything. There really is no regulation for the product, no proof it even has in it what it claims. It’s similar to all the other ads for memory enhancement, improved male performance, etc. ( Not that I need any of that).

It’s a quirk of the regulations that almost any product that’s not inherently dangerous can claim anything as long as it includes in unreadable small print that basically the company is making no claim that really it works.

If you really care, the disclaimer is at the end of the article.

It’s not necessarily dangerous just no real reason to think it would work better than asparagus. If you read the whole thing ( yes, I have too much time on my hands) it seems to claim to cure just about anything that ails you.
Agreed in general, and the text is laughable. OTOH, for FLL's situation--a lot of people are having good luck with CBD/THC edibles for stress relief, and tinnitus may have a significant stress component. For a few dollars and no safety risk, I would try both CBD and THC if I had tinnitus that was unrelenting.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (12-13-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 04:39 PM   #82
ghfromaltonbay

Default Laughter is the best medicine

Walter, Although it can be super annoying to suffer with tinnitus, A little humor helps. Happy Holidays! Let's hope 2022 is a "quieter" year for you.
Attached Images

ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ghfromaltonbay For This Useful Post:
mhtranger (12-24-2021), trfour (12-24-2021), upthesaukee (12-24-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 05:43 PM   #83
fatlazyless

Thanks very much for the laugh ..... is a funny sign. ....

Honestly, I do not believe my tinnitus has anything to do with stress. I think it has to do with inner ear damage incurred from 1976 to 1996, and a frequent loud banging, steel on steel noise experienced at my job for twenty years that damaged the transmission of sound as it travels along the cochlear nerve inside one or both ears. I have had it, tinnitus, for about one year, 12-months. Before December 2020 I did not have it. It just showed up like a very unwelcome permanent visitor back in early December, 2020. The severity fluctuates throughout the day with 4-am being the worst, and 4-pm being the best, more or less.

You know, I really have no clue where my tinnitus problem came from but maybe it came from doing underwater jumping jacks at the Splash n Burn class in Plymouth, close to Walmart.

From Oct 2011 to March 2020 I went to a water exercise class at the Pemi Baker Community Health, 6-7am, Mon-Wed-Fri, in their swimming pool for one hour class of Splash n Burn. And, while everyone else was doing jumping jacks in the 4.5' section I sometimes like to move to the 6.5' area and do underwater/above water jumping jacks where my head and ears would go in and out of the water so who knows?

Am thinking that once this covid pandemic finally disappears, that Splash n Burn class will get re-started, and it will make this horrible tinnitus problem disappear by ME doing those underwater jumping jacks, but in reverse! ......

Who really knows ? ........ not me ........ easily the #1 worst medical problem in my entire life ...... tinnitus! My 2017 melanoma tumor cancer surgery from my arm was like a walk on the NH appalachian trail on a beautiful fall day compared to this tinnitus problem.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-25-2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-25-2021, 09:40 AM   #84
dpg

FLL just my .02 here but in my opinion you’ve got to unfortunately learn to live with it. I have been for maybe a year now and honestly the only time it really bugs me is when I let it. The more you get worked up about it the more it will aggravate you plain and simple. I’m 60 and that’s perhaps some of it I have no idea. I haven’t bothered going to my doctor about it just to become a science project with the end result being well nothing… your way to over the top about being slim, fit and healthy forever it ain’t going to happen. I’ve learned to ignore it and most of the time I don’t even hear it any longer… but if you ever do find the smoking gun and cure it let us know. Good luck…
Old 12-25-2021, 11:00 AM   #85
dickiej

…..have you tried CBD with turmeric? It worked wonders for my tinnitus. Turmeric reduces inflammation. It takes about a month to kick in, but it worked for me.
Old 12-26-2021, 07:29 PM   #86
Crusty

Just saw this thread... I've had worsening tinnitus for at least 20 years now. Mine sounds like a large air handler (with a slightly squeaky belt). It's quite realistic.

I have tried a variety of "cures" and made a few tests, like cut out coffee (nope) , lose weight (helped other things, but not tinnitus), turmeric (nothing), some other patent medicines.

As it grows louder over time, I worry that it's only a matter of time until the neighbors start to complain.

I've learned to ignore it (until reading this thread) so I sleep well. I do not advise "white noise". I've had a lot of experience with it (all bad) and it simply gives the brain additional input to process. [Anyone who has experienced "white noise" at work can testify to the relief felt when the system shuts off.]

If you can't condition yourself to ignore your tinnitus, try consulting a professional hypnotist (seriously). A slight suggestion to ignore it may well be all you need to at least live comfortably with the condition.

One 'comforting thought': I've been told that should I ever go completely deaf, I'll still be able to hear the air handler with the squeaky belt.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:
Winilyme (12-26-2021)
Old 12-26-2021, 08:06 PM   #87
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Just saw this thread... I've had worsening tinnitus for at least 20 years now. Mine sounds like a large air handler (with a slightly squeaky belt). It's quite realistic.

I have tried a variety of "cures" and made a few tests, like cut out coffee (nope) , lose weight (helped other things, but not tinnitus), turmeric (nothing), some other patent medicines.

As it grows louder over time, I worry that it's only a matter of time until the neighbors start to complain.

I've learned to ignore it (until reading this thread) so I sleep well. I do not advise "white noise". I've had a lot of experience with it (all bad) and it simply gives the brain additional input to process. [Anyone who has experienced "white noise" at work can testify to the relief felt when the system shuts off.]

If you can't condition yourself to ignore your tinnitus, try consulting a professional hypnotist (seriously). A slight suggestion to ignore it may well be all you need to at least live comfortably with the condition.

One 'comforting thought': I've been told that should I ever go completely deaf, I'll still be able to hear the air handler with the squeaky belt.
This is when I love this forum the most. Good advice delivered with good humor and a caring attitude. Thank you Crusty.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:46 PM   #88
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
This was definitely my case also.

FLL, how are you doing at this point? I was looking for a white noise machine on Amazon. I noticed the following question and answer for this machine:

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Red-Roost...18&sr=8-7&th=1

QUESTION: Would this help someone who has ringing in their ears?

ANSWERS:
(1) Yes. Sound machines help with tinnitus.
By London Johnson Seller

(2) I've had chronic tinnitus for most of my life and I know that it can be annoying and can cause difficulty going to sleep. With my Big Red Rooster sound machine I have another sound in the room that keeps me from focusing on the ringing. I really like mine.

(3) Yes, it most definitely does help with tinnitus! I rented a vacation house that had one on the night stand. LOVED it, so much so that I'm going to order one. It also helped drown out the nearby nightly train. It even has volume control to make your nature sounds louder or softer, perfect.

FLL, I think you should consider getting a noise machine so you can get a good night of sleep. You mentioned depression a few times. I think lack of sleep can contribute to depression. For me, real natural sounds (like rain and thunder or a brook) work best. Also, don't give up hope for a cure. After you started this thread my tinnitus returned briefly, but it's now 100% gone again. For some people tinnitus may be permanent. For others it may go away over time.
The Following User Says Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (03-03-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 09:21 PM   #89
dickiej

CBD w/turmeric worked wonders for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (03-03-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 08:40 AM   #90
dpg

I haven't caught up and re-read this whole thread but forget about it there's really nothing you can do. As others have said it just unfortunately "happens" to some people. Started with me also (61 last month) but I do not let it aggravate me as it much as it seems to you. Like yourself I consider myself in pretty good shape (for the shape I'm in.) Just had my yearly physical a few weeks ago, normal blood pressure, total cholesterol level 220 and I'm not on anything for that level (yet.) My "good" cholesterol was at a good high range so my doctor left things alone for now. I told him about occasional ringing (becoming more and more) and he surprisingly didn't have much to say. Basically told me unless it effects my hearing (it doesn't) or totally drives me insane (it doesn't) I have to live with it. Just keep "busy" noise going around you the best you can and concentrate on that, music in your car, TV going in the background in the house, etc. Just start switching gears and "teach" yourself to forget about it, your mind can be a powerful tool. Even the doc told me there's really no fix or any specialist to send me too for promising results. I will not become a bunch of doctors science project.
Old 03-06-2022, 01:44 PM   #91
Cobalt 25

As many have said, not much you can do about it.

Mine started in 1968. Probably my exposure to loud noises? My M-60 machine gun? A 50 caliber machine gun 7 feet away from me? The 90mm main gun of nearby tanks? 155mm shells landing close by? Jets dropping ordinance nearby? M-79s?

Just do your best to ignore it...
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 03:46 PM   #92
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 View Post
As many have said, not much you can do about it.

Mine started in 1968. Probably my exposure to loud noises? My M-60 machine gun? A 50 caliber machine gun 7 feet away from me? The 90mm main gun of nearby tanks? 155mm shells landing close by? Jets dropping ordinance nearby? M-79s?

Just do your best to ignore it...
That certainly puts things in perspective. So sorry you had to go through that
Old 04-13-2022, 01:35 PM   #93
FlyingScot

Hi FLL,

See link for an early but promising result. My tinnitus is too mild for me to have personal interest. But if yours is still torturous, you might want to send this to your doctor to discuss

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...22.758575/full
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (04-14-2022), SailinAway (04-13-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 08:05 PM   #94
SailinAway

Very interesting, Flying Scot. "In more than 87.5% of patients (14/15 subacute, 35/40 chronic), tinnitus disappeared or had significantly reduced by the end of the treatment."
Old 04-13-2022, 08:19 PM   #95
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Very interesting, Flying Scot. "In more than 87.5% of patients (14/15 subacute, 35/40 chronic), tinnitus disappeared or had significantly reduced by the end of the treatment."
Yes, I'm encouraged. I probably should have put a caveat that these results would need to be repeated many times by different groups for us to accept this as proven. But for a person with a severe case, definitely worth investigating now.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:43 PM   #96
Newbiesaukee

This is a complicated study and techniques and doubt it would be easy to find someone to do it. The procedures are not without risk. Would like to see some peer review.

With all those qualifications it is still good to have some hope.

Old 04-14-2022, 04:45 AM   #97
fatlazyless

For me it usually occurs in the early morning like right now at 5:44-am, and will usually wake me up or happens while I'm asleep? Almost every morning after sunrise I try to lose the tinnitus noise by going for a long walk, about two miles, and this usually helps to lose the tinnitus, temporarily.

It is definitely the worst and most serious medical problem for me.
Old 04-14-2022, 01:18 PM   #98
SailinAway

Quote:
For me it usually occurs in the early morning like right now at 5:44-am, and will usually wake me up or happens while I'm asleep? Almost every morning after sunrise I try to lose the tinnitus noise by going for a long walk, about two miles, and this usually helps to lose the tinnitus, temporarily.

It is definitely the worst and most serious medical problem for me.
FLL, about two months ago I started listening to rain and thunder on YouTube at bedtime. I set the timer on the TV for 1 hour. I have consistently fallen asleep within about 10 minutes with these videos. If tinnitus is waking you up, you can let the video play all night.

My hope is that it would be difficult to hear your tinnitus over the noise of these videos. I urge you to try this. Just do a YouTube search for "black screen thunderstorm." The screen goes black after about 30 seconds. You can also turn the screen away from you for an even darker result. Try this and let us know what happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (04-14-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 03:11 AM   #99
fatlazyless

You know what works pretty good for me ........ listening and maybe watching the 'Lisa P Hikes' 2021 eight month You tube, hiking the Appalachian Trail. She is a 41-year old from west Texas known as Tex who works as a tour guide in the Grand Canyon/mule wrangler, guiding and talking to a small group of mule riders as they go up and down the steep canyon trail.

New Hampshire White Mountains, Appalachian Trail thru hike, 2021: Lisa P Hikes;

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTHf2E3696M ..... day 137, South & North Kinsman + Kinsman Pond Shelter, July 25, 2021

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OF38EZJwx4 ..... day 138, Mt Lafayette, July 26, 2021

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuqXQ-YWdh8 .... day 139, Galehead + Zealand Falls Huts in The Whites, July 27, 2021

She is very well spoken!

And, I do believe this tinnitus or something has made me fall deeply, deeply in love with Lisa P Hikes and I am very jealous of her pack mules that she rides up and down the Grand Canyon! ..... ha-ha-ha! ...

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-17-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-15-2022, 02:30 PM   #100
dickiej

Anybody try CBD with turmeric? I worked wonders for me.