Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
dpg

Default What Wave Runner?

O.K. - So thinking about ditching the boat at the end of this season after about fifteen years of ownership. Been casually looking at waverunners and may go with one (or two) for family use. So, who makes a good machine for overall use on the lake? Been looking at the Yamaha's around, no real reason just like the looks I guess. Thoughts/comments??

Thanks.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Sea Doo or Yamaha

Those are your top 2 manufacturers. Look into the 4 stroke if in your budget. Definately the way to go, less failure and better resale.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:01 PM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Exclamation

If you are an 'empty nester' and like to stay close to the shore and islands, they are wicked nice. My son-in-law has one of the three seaters. There is plenty of room under the seat for all the provisions for a day cruise on the lake. Crossing the Broads is very intimidating and not reccomended. I find the area North of Moutonborough Bay a great place for exploring by PWC. I have to admit I wear a bright orange vest as a PWC is not visible when the the sun is in some powerboater's eye. Not very many boaters wear polarized sunglasses.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:04 PM   #4
Lakewinniboater

Talking Yamaha

We have a Yamaha 4 stroke and it is great!!!

We bought ours from Miles Cook at Rochester Motorsports in Rochester, NH.

He is fabulous and his staff is very attentive and helpful!

GREAT DEAL TOO,
Old 07-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
SIKSUKR

Dpg,I have a 2000 Yamaha 1200 XLT(3 seater) that has run flawlessly for my fifth season.It's the only boat I own and I use it on Winni as a "boat".Plenty of storage for day tripping and plenty rugged enough for anything I've encountered at Winni.I have to disagree strongly with Broadhopper on venturing out in the Broads.I spend every weekend on this thing and go anywhere I want to.If anything,the Broads can be one of the more safer feeling places for me to hang out and watch the world go by.I do find myself being much more aware of boats potentially crossing my path in high traffic areas like The Weirs,Governors to Saunders Bay route.Can Be very busy with a lot of cross traffic but any boater would heed the same caution.My experience has been very positive as a PWC only owner.Do understand though that when it's rough at all on the lake, your almost always going to get wet.That can be a wonderfull thing when it's nice and hot out but if you plan to boat into fall you'll prbably have to wear a wetsuit to stay comfortable.I would also say that having had great luck with my Yamaha,I will be buying another soon and it will be a 4-stroke.I tried a friends 4-stroke high output and was very impressed.Good luck and go for it!! SS
Old 07-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #6
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs up SeaDoo

Everthing I've read says the 3-seat SeaDoos are the "cruisers" of the PWCs. They're heavier and tend to flatten the waves, deflect bow spray, a bit better than the others. For this you give up some of the cut-n-thrust that PWCs are known for. Friends of our have a 3 yr old (?) 2 stroke SeaDoo GTX and it rides nicely once you learn to time the waves correctly (slower is not always better), something I've not mastered !
Old 07-07-2005, 05:41 AM   #7
dpg

Thanks all for the (positive) responses. Glad to hear good things about the Yamaha. If I make the leap it will be a four stroke for sure. Not an "empty nester" two teens that are looking for me to get one. My oldest is ready to take the certification class, he'll be 16 by next summer. I plan to keep a tight collar on him during his use. That's why I'm possibly thinking of two so the four of us can all go together (or just me as the kids sitter on the water) We're in an association (parents place) and I really hate to give up the $500.00 a year dock we have had for many years, I know I'll never see one again in there. Hey, life goes on right??

One last question, would places that sell the things take the boat as a trade? I really do not want the hastles of trying to unload it on my own even if I do take a little less for it. From my overall observance used boats for sale seem to be a dime-a-dozen in the lakes region.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:31 AM   #8
chipj29

Default Pick a PWC, any PWC!

I own a Sea Doo so I just may be a little bit biased. I have a 1999 GTX Limited, my friend has a 2001 GTX, his brother has a 2002 GTX, and his other brother has a 2003 GTX 4-tec. I have ridden all of the skis and they all perform great, even in rougher water. The first 3 are very similar, same engine and similar hull design. The are very stable, easy to board even in deep water, handle great, and have plenty of speed (~55mph). The 4-tec has all the same qualites, and is just a bit faster. Lots of power out of the hole, but much smoother than the 2 strokes. The GTX is a 3-seater and has plenty of room for 3, and lots of storage. I also know someone with a Yamaha 3 seater, who loves it. It is just as fast as the Sea Doos, and seems to handle well although I have never ridden it. Perhaps you could try renting to get a feel for the difference in the brands/models.

A word to the wise on whatever you purchase. Get a 3 seater. Any ski that seats 1 or 2 people is considered by the state to be a "ski craft". There are many lakes in the state that ban ski craft either in certain areas of the lake, or in the entire lake. There is a list on line somewhere that shows you all the lakes and restrictions. A 3 seater is considered by the state to be a boat, therefore it can go wherever boats can go. There are other ski craft rules that don't apply, such as the requirement that operators wear PFD at all times. Not the case on a 3 seater although I wouldn't recommend that.

You can't go wrong whether you buy a Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Sea Doo (Polaris got out of hte PWC biz last year I think). Get yourself a 4-stroke and I am sure you will get many years of enjoyment out of it. As far as your question about taking a boat on a trade, well I can't give a specific answer, but I would suggest calling the dealers who sell the PWCs and ask.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #9
dpg

Thanks Chip, didn't realize the 2 and 3 seat difference.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:36 PM   #10
Aquadeziac

Thumbs up

I have a Polaris and a SeaDoo GTX. Both machines are 3 seaters. They both run flawlessly. Polaris did get out of the watercraft biz last fall but had released '05 models. I understand there are some outstanding deals to be had on remaining inventories and all warranties will still be honored. In fact Parts and Service will still be available for several years (Arctic Cat Tigersharks still have a parts and service network and they stopped production around '98). One great selling point for the SeaDoo (don't know if others have it available) with their DESS keys, you can get a "trainer key" for the young/novice rider that limits the engine rpm. Which ever one you choose its guaranteed fun!!
Old 07-09-2005, 06:41 AM   #11
gtxrider

Default More than number of seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg
Thanks Chip, didn't realize the 2 and 3 seat difference.
Different size PWCs also have different regulations in NH. The bigger (3 Seaters) are classified as BOATS. Some smaller ones are prohibited from some lakes.

I have had a 2 seater (1 and 1/2 seats) and 3 seater. If you want to ride doubles get a 3 seater. I would go with 3 seat with a 4 Cycle anyway. Honda, Yamaha, Sea Doo and Kawasaki all make them.

I can only give comment on the Sea Doo 4TEC but I like mine it rides smooooth. My dad had a Sea Doo GTI and I had a 2 seat Kawasaki SSXi. We were offered a ride on a Sea Doo GTX 4TEC the summer of 2003. Well, the next day we loaded the little Kawasaki SSXi and the GTI on the trailer, drove over to Hill Crest and traded the 2 for a GTX 4TEC.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:48 PM   #12
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadeziac
I have a Polaris and a SeaDoo GTX. Both machines are 3 seaters. They both run flawlessly. Polaris did get out of the watercraft biz last fall but had released '05 models. I understand there are some outstanding deals to be had on remaining inventories and all warranties will still be honored. In fact Parts and Service will still be available for several years (Arctic Cat Tigersharks still have a parts and service network and they stopped production around '98). One great selling point for the SeaDoo (don't know if others have it available) with their DESS keys, you can get a "trainer key" for the young/novice rider that limits the engine rpm. Which ever one you choose its guaranteed fun!!
The DESS key is great until it blows out of your boat attached to a life jacket like mine did last week on vacation...The PWC has to be taken to the dealer to have a new key programmed. Luckily I had the training key with me as well so I could drive the machine from the island to shore, otherwise I would still be paddling...If anyone found a blue jacket with a DESS key attached near Shep's last week please let me know!

Seriously, I have owned Yamaha 2 seaters and currently own a Polaris MSX140 and a Sea Doo RXT. The Polaris is a nice stable, dry ride however as mentioned previously they are out of the industry. The Sea Doo is a bit rougher to ride and steers more aggresively but for a 3 seater it screams. The DES is nice because you can leave your machine for the week and know that not just anyone with a paperclip can jump on your machine and go for a joy ride.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:32 AM   #13
SIKSUKR

My Yamaha has security system also which if used,makes you enter a changable 4 digit code to start it.I would think all PWC's would have a feature like this now.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:32 AM   #14
dpg

What does Codeman mean the key "blew-out" of the machine? Like simply lost it or something more technical which I'm not getting? Why must it go back to the dealer for this?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:27 AM   #15
Mee-n-Mac

Default Lost it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg
What does Codeman mean the key "blew-out" of the machine? Like simply lost it or something more technical which I'm not getting? Why must it go back to the dealer for this?
The way I read it the key was attached to the PFD which the wind blew out of the boat thus leaving him stranded, or would have, had he not had the other (training) key. You have to go back to the dealer because the key has a microchip in it that is coded/programmed for the specific PWC and only the dealer can get the code to program a new key.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:14 PM   #16
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg
The key was attached to a jacket which was in the back of my boat, not seadoo (I was not on the watercraft!). I had thrown it in the cockpit of my boat after coming back from a ride on the ski and it blew out without my noticing under way. Nothing technical there, just a freak loss that screwed up my day. The ski was at my place on the island and luckily I had the training key with my stuff so I was able to get it to the dealer to have a new one programmed. Mee-n-Mac hit the nail on the head.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote