Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
coolyourjets

Default Renters...what do you do?

My neighbor rented out their house for the first time this summer. They approached me this spring to let me know they were doing this and told me they put several clauses in the rental agreement limiting the number of people, specifically stipulating no parties, etc. The first week has not been smooth. The house that sleeps 10-12 had no less than 30 people there for several gatherings. They brought several PWCs which were driven at all hours (including after dark) by kids with no lifejackets or without the engine lanyard attached to a person. They left the dock at full throttle, bouncing boats and swimming people around. Dumped beer, coffee and gas into the lake.

I'm all for good fun at the lake but show a great respect for my neighbors and the lake itself. I would think most renters would as well but how do you tell this to someone who is here for a week and has no long-term ownership stake in the community?
coolyourjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

First thing I would do is let the current owner know what was observed. What you describe sounds as though it is a clear violation of the owner's expectations of the renters and I'm sure they would appreciate the heads up the property is being used as described. I'm sure the owner would never have rented the place to these folks knowing what was described was happening, especially since they (the owners) were courteous enough to let you know ahead of time they intended to rent and not to worry as they had imposed some limits on the property use.

The issues out on the water are a law enforcement item and if the behavior is that bad I'd notify the MP about what's going on. If accurately described, not only is this behavior illegal - it's also extremely dangerous. If possible film it and get bow numbers.

If you really think you're going to change the behavior of the renters, good luck with that but don't expect much. Unfortunately some people just don't get it, the notion of being courteous and responsible take a second seat to "having a good time". I would not loose a wink of sleep blowing these folks into MP. Why should you care you have no long term stake in those renters being neighbors.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Roy_Hobbs (07-07-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 09:46 PM   #3
TheTimeTraveler

Chances are good that they'll trash the property and won't be allowed back next year.

In any event, unless they're doing something illegal then you're stuck with them.

Hope you're able to get enough sleep at night with all the noise they're making.

You can try speaking with the owner, but the renters are lining his pockets so he may not be very receptive.

Best of luck!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:54 AM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

I certainly would tell your neighbor. I can't imagine he would want thirty people if he told you only 10-12 were allowed. As Maxum said the other issues are legal and if the owner doesn't speak to them you have every right to contact the authorities. You shouldn't have your vacation ruined. Isn't it funny how some people can be so great and others so awful? There seem to be two different types of people in the world today.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:36 AM   #5
songkrai

Is there a rental agency involved or did the neighbor obtain the renters by themselves by newspaper, internet, or Craigslist? Or just friends or coworkers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyourjets View Post
The house that sleeps 10-12 had no less than 30 people
How many bedrooms in this rental house?
Might advise neighbor of potential problems with septic system and potential problems with the well water.

At least try to get a copy of the rental agreement and read it.

Of course you can't do much other then mentioned above.

Have seen what lake renters can do. Have neighbors who rent. All appliances had to be changed with new over a few years. Multiple televisions had to be replaced. Toilets replaced. Oven/stove replaced. Refrigerator, microwave, etc. And one year the downstairs ceiling sheet rock had to be replaced. One rental family - I counted 11 cars in driveway. That is at least 11 people and probably more like 22 -30 people.

Good Luck with all of this.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2019, 05:48 AM   #6
SAB1

That's a no brainier. Call your neighbor. No need for that.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:51 AM   #7
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Other than legal intervention for the unsafe/illegal activity, there's not much you can do other than alert the owner so they can (attempt to) avoid a repeat.

Were I the owner, I would absolutely want to know--especially seeing that I'd shown enough respect/concern to connect with my neighbor before moving ahead with renting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:09 AM   #8
winni83

Does the town have a noise ordinance? I have found that trying to use the noise ordinance is often not effective.

See NH RSA 644:2, Disorderly Conduct. Specifically Section A, III (a). Note that the penalty after being asked to stop one time is a misdemeanor. This is part of the NH Criminal Code; it is not a local ordinance, which might not have effective penalties. Admittedly the RSA has subjective language, e. g., “reasonable” and “average”, but if the conduct is outrageous, it may be more effective.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/.../644/644-2.htm
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:20 AM   #9
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Call you neighbor and I would take photos and video to send to him to prove to the owner they are violating the lease agreement and they can probably keep the security deposit. Also for the MP and police if they are breaking the law.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:53 AM   #10
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post

If you really think you're going to change the behavior of the renters, good luck with that but don't expect much.

We eventually sold our last place in Alton due to obnoxious neighbors and their "renters". It ruined the whole lake experience for us. One renter boxed his dog, (a huskie) in on the deck while they went out to eat. The poor dog whined and cried the whole time they were gone. I went over and spoke civilly to this person about this issue. They apologized yet the next night they did the same thing! We went over and took the dog into our house so we didn't have to listen to this. Needless to say there was panic when they returned home and couldn't find the dog. I informed him that if it happened again I would let the dog loose and good luck to them finding him. Speaking to the owner of the property did absolutely nothing to curtail the behavior of his renters.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #11
garysanfran

Default What I would do...

I have rented my place out for many years and never had an issue like this. This is what I would do if I was notified of this and I lived near enough...

I'd go to the property when these violations were taking place (thank you neighbor for this info). I'd tell the renter to vacate immediately...If they did not, I'd get the local PD to make them. Then I'd change the locks. Then I'd plant a concealed game cam nearby to monitor the prop for any retaliatory damage.

The owner should immediately check for damage and hopefully have a security deposit that can be dinged.

I rent through an agency because I am not local while it's being rented. I'd call the agency.
garysanfran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #12
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I have rented my place out for many years and never had an issue like this. This is what I would do if I was notified of this and I lived near enough...

I'd go to the property when these violations were taking place (thank you neighbor for this info). I'd tell the renter to vacate immediately...If they did not, I'd get the local PD to make them. Then I'd change the locks. Then I'd plant a concealed game cam nearby to monitor the prop for any retaliatory damage.
I'm not arguing with you (actually supportive of your position) but........ it all seems so simple. Are you going to do all this with or without a court order. One of those crappy things these days that you can get wrapped up in now-a-days.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #13
Wolfe-man

As an owner who rents a portion of the summer weeks, I would definitely want to know. I have asked my neighbors to phone me immediately regarding any discourteous conduct and it’s written into our leases that the renters get one warning if I get called and they are gone and not welcome back if there’s a second call. We have been very lucky to date (5 years so far) but that may be due, in part, to the upfront work to vet the renters in advance and retain quality people year after year. I hope the OP’s issue gets resolved quickly.
Wolfe-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:39 AM   #14
garysanfran

Default You don't need a court order to remove...

Non-permanent over-night guests creating a disturbance. The owner of a rental vacation cottage, I believe, has the same rights as a motel owner. A court order is needed for an eviction process against a long-term renter. Don't know in NH, but in CA it's more than 28 days.
garysanfran is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 11:43 AM   #15
Top-Water

Thank you ............ did not know if someone trashing your place using a technicality to hang around could get away with that.

Thanks
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #16
Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post

You can try speaking with the owner, but the renters are lining his pockets so he may not be very receptive.
You should absolutely speak with the owner. The idea that the renters are "lining his pockets so he may not be very receptive" is probably not accurate. We rent our property to a limited degree, usually with no problem, but there have been a couple of times that our neighbors have let us know that a renter was violating our rules and we've taken it very very seriously. Also, if the owner is renting through an agency, the agency could be contacted directly about the problem.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:43 AM   #17
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

If there are infractions out on the water, call the Marine Patrol and let them deal with it.... That is where I would start. Sure talk to your neighbor, and let him know what was happening and what you did in response. But if there is stupidity out on the water, that is in clear violation of the laws, that is what the Marine Patrol is there for. Once renters know they aren't going to get away with things, they generally calm down....

Using an agency is really the best way to rent, I have done it before.... If there is a problem the rental agency gets a call and has to go deal with it. Our agent had to ask people to leave, and had no problem doing so, as she had a contract with them, and was able to show them what clause the violated. Only once did we have to refund money.... and that was because, it wasn't a problem that was intentionally created by the renters. But rather a situation that arose out of circumstances, and it was easier to refund there money, and they agreed....