Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #1
Jersey Guy

Default Wedding Reception Suggestions

Our daughter just got engaged, we have elderly family in Moultonborough, and have been coming up to Winnipesaukee for over 30 years. Happy to say she wants to have her wedding in NH "so Nana and Poppie can be there". We all love the Castle in the Clouds and Church Landing is beautiful, however, it's tough to plan a wedding when your 300+ miles away. Just wondering if anyone has experience and/or recommendations for Winnipesaukee wedding venues and catering? Thanks!
Jersey Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:58 AM   #2
Bernie Girl

The Wolfeboro Inn is a great wedding venue.
Bernie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernie Girl For This Useful Post:
Micker (01-04-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 11:18 AM   #3
skprbob

Default try the Mount

There are a variety of possibilities aboard the Mount Washington. Call the sales office at Weirs Beach for more info: 603-366-5531.
skprbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
Bear Guy

Back when Church Landing was still a church, I had my reception at the Chase House (across the street from town docks). I would recommend it.
I only remember going there once to discuss and select options, well prior to our date. And then we dropped off things the day before with some simple instructions for set-up. Given we were over an hour's drive away, it was easy to coordinate, and the event planner helped make arrangements.
Our choice of location was mostly geography-driven; we didn't consider venues outside Meredith/Gilford due to the distance.

As for catering your own site, you could try this thread for suggestions:
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=21497
Bear Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Guy For This Useful Post:
Micker (01-04-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #5
neckdweller

The 300 mile distance will be an issue with whatever choice you make but I think most true wedding reception venues will be able to handle this well.

We had our reception at Castle in the Clouds either the first or second year they started doing them. It's a beautiful location with the best lake view you could ask for. Back then we were allowed to choose whatever catering company we wanted but now it appears that they give you a choice of two - Harts and The Red Blazer.

The only issue with the Castle that I can see for you is lodging since I assume many of the guests would be out of towners. That means guests would be doing a bit of a drive to either Meredith or Wolfeboro. If it's a Saturday in the Summer, you can add traffic into the mix getting there from Meredith. (Fake edit - I forgot about the newly revamped Center Harbor location).

Church Landing from a logistics perspective makes a lot of sense - lots of rooms within walking distance. I can't speak for anything about their weddings though other than when I was a young lad I attended a portion of a reception there as an uninvited guest and it was a good time
neckdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2017, 02:47 PM   #6
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Church Landing is a great venue but be ready to write a big check. Those places usually require the wedding party to stay there. Depending on the time of year it can be quite expensive. I looked at it for my daughter about 5 years ago but it blew my budget out of the water like a missile shot from a submarine.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #7
chasedawg

Default Wedding reception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Girl View Post
The Wolfeboro Inn is a great wedding venue.
We thought Wolfeboro Inn was a great wedding venue. But after our son got married there this past summer we would not recommend it.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Church Landing

My daughter got married at Church Landing about 10 years ago. They did a fabulous job. Late morning wedding on site, then we moved inside for the reception.

Call now. A lot of these lakeside places book a year+ in advance.

No matter where you choose, Lake Winnipesaukee is a big draw. People you thought would never travel to NH will come and spend a week or two, so don't expect a lot of "regrets".
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:30 PM   #9
Major

Default Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa

We attended a wedding at the Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa a few years back, and thought it was a great venue. It's in Whitefield, NH. Not sure about cost, but the quality of the venue and food were great.
Major is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Micker (01-04-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #10
The Real BigGuy

My daughter got married on the Winni Belle (Wolfeboro Inn) and then had the reception at the Inn. She was extremely happy. If she was happy, mom & dad were happy. I'd recommend it - how great is getting married "on" Winnipesaukee. You have the Belle all to yourself with no other passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:30 PM   #11
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Church Landing, and the associated Meredith properties, have over 200 weddings per year. Obviously, if you go for the waterfront tent venue the price will be on the higher end. However, they have other less expensive venues if your budget will not permit this. I do know they do a first class job.

The Mount Washington would not be as "upscale" of a choice but would be much less expensive. Depending upon the time of day and the time of year of the wedding much of the event may be spent in the dark with little or no opportunity to enjoy the scenery from the boat.

If you have a lot of out of town guests, who will be looking for something to do, maybe some combination of a different venue for the wedding but a daytime cruise on the Mount Washington would work. I know you can negotiate a discount based upon the size of your group.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:39 PM   #12
bigpatsfan

As mentioned earlier.. the Mount is an excellent choice for a reception.
bigpatsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:32 AM   #13
Jersey Guy

Default Thanks!

Thank you all for your suggestions and PM's. My immediate thought was the following:
1. Rehearsal dinner at Wolfeboro Inn
2. Wedding at Castle in the Clouds
3. Post wedding brunch on the Mount Washington
Of course this is very tentative and I could be easily overruled, but would give everyone a good overall taste of the lake. Thanks again!
Jersey Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jersey Guy For This Useful Post:
jetlag100 (01-09-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 05:09 PM   #14
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Sounds like a great plan.
Have fun!
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:48 PM   #15
chasedawg

Default Wedding reception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Guy View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions and PM's. My immediate thought was the following:
1. Rehearsal dinner at Wolfeboro Inn
2. Wedding at Castle in the Clouds
3. Post wedding brunch on the Mount Washington
Of course this is very tentative and I could be easily overruled, but would give everyone a good overall taste of the lake. Thanks again!

Sounds like a perfect plan. Best of luck and enjoy. Oh make sure you hire a wedding planner. They make life so much easier. You can't imagine what details have to be considered for a successful wedding
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:03 PM   #16
Joebon

We did rehearsal dinner at Wolfeboro inn outside, wedding reception at Brewster academy under a tent and brunch on the belle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #17
beagle

Default Consider private waterfront homes

Both our neighbors rent their houses in wb for weddings. Depends on how big the wedding is, but I think one of them sleeps more than 40. Pm me and I can send u the links to the properties.
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:32 PM   #18
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle View Post
Both our neighbors rent their houses in wb for weddings. Depends on how big the wedding is, but I think one of them sleeps more than 40. Pm me and I can send u the links to the properties.
That must be a massive place to sleep 40 people!
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:16 AM   #19
AC2717

you also have the Margate, which does a great job on weddings and a great fireworks show at the end could be included. - plus I get teo watch because I am their neighbor. But they have a beautiful waterfront tent for the ceremony and then another very large one for the reception, both only about 200 feet away from each other and right on the waterfront, and the sunset is gorgeous, numerous photo opportunities
Old 01-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #20
Long Pine

Default Castle in the Clouds

Our daughter got married at Castle in the Clouds in 2015 and had her reception there at the Carriage House. It was a great experience and the wedding planning staff there was extremely helpful throughout the process (and while we are local, our daughter was coordinating most of it with them from 500 miles away). The setting and the views from the both the Castle lawn and the Carriage House were stunning. While the back-up plan for the outdoor ceremony in case of rain is not ideal, our daughter was willing to roll the dice on that. And we dealt with the transportation issue by chartering a bus so guests wouldn't have to drive back to the hotel where we had reserved a block of rooms. So overall it was a great experience.
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #21
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Pine View Post
Our daughter got married at Castle in the Clouds in 2015 and had her reception there at the Carriage House. It was a great experience and the wedding planning staff there was extremely helpful throughout the process (and while we are local, our daughter was coordinating most of it with them from 500 miles away). The setting and the views from the both the Castle lawn and the Carriage House were stunning. While the back-up plan for the outdoor ceremony in case of rain is not ideal, our daughter was willing to roll the dice on that. And we dealt with the transportation issue by chartering a bus so guests wouldn't have to drive back to the hotel where we had reserved a block of rooms. So overall it was a great experience.
We went to wedding in NY at a vineyard that did the bus back to the hotel idea and it was great. Everybody could have a great time because nobody was driving. It pretty much ran on a continuous loop starting at a certain time.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:25 PM   #22
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

A lot of people use Molly the Trolley for transportation for weddings too so people don't have to drive.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
jetlag100 (01-09-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 07:37 AM   #23
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Oliver's Lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle View Post
Not a private home but a 'compound'. I had my class reunion there and attended a number of weddings. Fantastic place for large weddings!
http://www.oliverlodge.com/

Comman Man, Magic Foods, and the Texas traveling BBQ all did a fantastic job catering.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:38 PM   #24
Barbara

I've been to a number of events at the 'O Bistro Barn in Wolfeboro. They do a great job! Same owner as Canoe in Center Harbor, O's Steaks and Seafood in Laconia. Great to work with.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:28 PM   #25
granitebox

One other option which I don't think has been offered, Steele Hill Inn which has beautiful views of Winni
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:40 PM   #26
Dottie C.

Hey there...just a bit of info. for you. I had a daughter that had her wedding on the Mount...it was great. I rented a large enough house on Winni. to take care of my out of town relative. It was only about 1-1/12 mi. from the Weirs. I had a son that got married at Steele Hill Resorts. It had rooms available which worked out great again for us. Good luck
Dottie C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:26 PM   #27
Lmurphy

Default Photography

http://www.ashley-lynn.com/
She is amazing..... I know she does lots of wedding in area and great prices.
Lmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:02 AM   #28
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Today's Laconia Daily Sun has a 2017 Lakes Region wedding guide insert. It is not showing up yet online under special sections, the 2016 guide is shown.

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote