Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts
Default Looking for Medium Challenge Hikes

Hi All,
Posted looking for hike suggestions that would work with my L'il Buddy some time ago, but he's now ready for more than West Rattlesnake.
Attempted Doublehead this past Sunday, and he was doing awesome, but there's a rock to scale with a steep dropoff that neither of us were cool with attempting.
So, I'd love suggestions for hikes that may be more difficult than West Rattlesnake but are still kid friendly.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
jbolty

Have you been up Red Hill? There is nothing hard about it except a couple of mildly steep spots but the view from the top is one of the best in the area.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #3
hd333

+1 fur Red Hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:25 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

What about Mt. Major or Lockes hill Trail right on route 11 in Gilford / Alton??

Check out others here....http://www.lakewinnipesaukee.info/re...51-hiking-info

Dan
Old 06-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Done Major, Locke's Hill, and Red Hill (Red Hill is overrated--no real views without climbing tower).

I'll check out the link, but in the meantime, any info on peaks in the Doublehead area that do not require rock scaling? I know Percival has ladders, but they can be bypassed?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2016, 02:02 PM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,993 Times in 910 Posts

The Morse Preserve in Alton is not very difficult however great views form the top.
https://www.forestsociety.org/proper...se-sr-preserve
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:50 PM   #7
Pineedles

Default MT. Chocorua

I liked Mt. Chocorua it is a nice 1 1/2 mile trek to the top. First time I went up I was 10 years old. Take the Champney Falls trail as it is the easiest, but scenic waterfalls make it a nice hike.

http://www.summitpost.org/champney-falls/165674
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #8
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I liked Mt. Chocorua it is a nice 1 1/2 mile trek to the top. First time I went up I was 10 years old. Take the Champney Falls trail as it is the easiest, but scenic waterfalls make it a nice hike.

It's only 1.5 miles to the summit?! I remember it much longer, but I usually took the Piper Trail. I'll check it out, thanks!

Old 06-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #9
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post

Pineedles, Champney Falls Trail is 3.7 to the summit of Chocorua for a 7.4 mile day--a bit off, there, friend!

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (06-21-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #10
Flylady

Default Castle in the Clouds

Several trails around the castle and up to Mt Roberts. The trail following the brook is great for kids. Took my granddaughter their last summer and she had a blast.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:45 PM   #11
dogma

Default hikes

have you checked out the trails around Castle in the Clouds? Take the road to the left just before you get to the road that you have to pay for.
dogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:32 AM   #12
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
have you checked out the trails around Castle in the Clouds? Take the road to the left just before you get to the road that you have to pay for.
I've done the waterfall trail, but maybe I'll check out the others. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:58 AM   #13
noreast

Blue job (pronounced jobe) has the best view around, on a clear day. It may be easier than you are looking for though.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #14
DickR

There any number of great hikes of all lengths and difficulties, many close by and others within 1 to 1.5 hours travel time. It would help to have more information. What sort of trail length and elevation gain do you have in mind? How old and tall is the kid, and can he negotiate stream crossings that involve minor rock-hopping? Are you looking for a great view from the top or just a nice trail with some views along the way?

Of course there are the White Mountains, with the AMC's list of 48 4000 footers, involving 4-5 miles each way and up to 4000 feet of elevation gain, and many have difficult trails for a small kid. But there also are some easier ones. Perhaps the easiest is Mt. Hale, with an elevation gain of just around 2000 ft, and a trail length of 2.3 miles, but there is no particular view from the top, and there is one stream crossing involving rock hopping.

Then there is the "52 with a view" list (http://4000footers.com/list_52wav.shtml). Fairly close on that list is Mt. Israel, over in Sandwich (http://4000footers.com/israel.shtml), with a trail length of just 2 miles and a great view north and east. Another might Mt. Pemigewasset, up in Franconia Notch (http://4000footers.com/pemigewasset.shtml), at 1.7 miles each way.

But give us more info as to what you want and what the kid can handle.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #15
State

Default Doublehead Mtn

It's part of the Squam Range. But I don't really want to tell you about it. It's so precious to me. Let's keep it a secret, shall we?

Mt Major in Alton or Red Hill in Moultonborough, which I did today (huge black Lab and tiny shih tzu), are obviously pre-eminent.
State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #16
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
There any number of great hikes of all lengths and difficulties, many close by and others within 1 to 1.5 hours travel time. It would help to have more information. What sort of trail length and elevation gain do you have in mind? How old and tall is the kid, and can he negotiate stream crossings that involve minor rock-hopping? Are you looking for a great view from the top or just a nice trail with some views along the way?

Of course there are the White Mountains, with the AMC's list of 48 4000 footers, involving 4-5 miles each way and up to 4000 feet of elevation gain, and many have difficult trails for a small kid. But there also are some easier ones. Perhaps the easiest is Mt. Hale, with an elevation gain of just around 2000 ft, and a trail length of 2.3 miles, but there is no particular view from the top, and there is one stream crossing involving rock hopping.

Then there is the "52 with a view" list (http://4000footers.com/list_52wav.shtml). Fairly close on that list is Mt. Israel, over in Sandwich (http://4000footers.com/israel.shtml), with a trail length of just 2 miles and a great view north and east. Another might Mt. Pemigewasset, up in Franconia Notch (http://4000footers.com/pemigewasset.shtml), at 1.7 miles each way.

But give us more info as to what you want and what the kid can handle.
Would like to be within 45 minutes of Moultonborough Neck. He is 6 and can do approximately 4 miles if not too steep.

Probably doing Bald Knob, which is 4 round trip, tomorrow--we'll see how that goes.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:21 AM   #17
Dave M

Default optional hike

Mt. Morgan/Mt. Percival, Holderness, NH – The Mt. Morgan and Mt. Percival loop is a local favorite. With ladders to climb and caves to trek through, this moderate hike is a wonderful experience that offers spectacular views of the lakes and mountains. Copied from Squam Lake Inn website. Don't know particulars but sounds interesting.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #18
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Mt. Morgan/Mt. Percival, Holderness, NH – The Mt. Morgan and Mt. Percival loop is a local favorite. With ladders to climb and caves to trek through, this moderate hike is a wonderful experience that offers spectacular views of the lakes and mountains. Copied from Squam Lake Inn website. Don't know particulars but sounds interesting.

Dave M
I've heard the ladders can be rough, but it sounds like something for a few years from now when L'il Buddy and L'il Frog become Big Buddy and Big Froggy!
Old 07-30-2016, 10:43 AM   #19
DickR

Default Morgan/Percival loop

This loop can be done in either direction. It's about 5.5 miles total. A week ago I did it with two grandchildren, ages 10 and 13, and we went first to Percival, then to Morgan. As far as the ladders below the top of Morgan go, it may be better to go up them (do Morgan first, come down from Percival). With a small kid, it might be a good idea to have an adult follow closely up behind. There are three ladder sections. The bottom two are fairly straightforward, but with big gaps between rungs. At the top of the middle section, you must take a giant step to the right to get onto the bottom of the upper section, and having a good grip with hands during the transfer is important. Just above the top section is a small cave of sorts formed by some boulders that tumbled into place that way. An adult will have to take off a backpack to get through the upper exit. Above that cave there is a brief scramble over ledges, requiring care but otherwise no great problem for kids. There is an alternate route to the top of Morgan, bypassing the ladders and cave, starting from just below the ladders (with a sign).

The trail from Morgan over to Percival is 0.8 mile. There are two routes down the first 0.1 mile. One is via the ledges, the other via the caves. The caves will be more exciting for kids, while the ledges could be a problem for short kids. Both ends of the cave are easy for kids, but a tight fit for an adult, requiring removal of backpack for sure. It occurred to me that a grossly overweight adult might not fit through the lower opening easily. Inside the cave there is ample room to stand.

The Morse trail (0.4 mile) connects the Morgan and Percival trails, a little way up from the bottom of each. There is parking at the bottom of the Morgan trail, opposite the West Rattlesnake parking on Rte 113.

The pics show kids on the Morgan ladders and cave and in the Percival cave. The butt end of the left post of the upper ladder can be seen just above and to the right of the boy's head; that's the transfer that must be done with care.
Attached Images

DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
noreast (07-30-2016)