Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
wishiwasthere

Default What should I do?

I am thrilled I am able to stay at the lake for 2 weeks this year!!! Usually I don't want to leave the water because it is such a short time. We take one day and do funspot, and weirs trip. Kids will be with us but they are basically grown now. What are some of your favorite activities, Resturants, Ice Cream spots? I would appreciate some ideas of things to do when I am not reading my new 700+ page book "the passage"!
wishiwasthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Pricestavern

Default Where Will You Be?

Congratulations on your upcoming two week stint! What area of the Lake will you be spending your two weeks at?
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
wishiwasthere

Default My 2 weeks

We will be on Moultonborough Neck!!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
neckdweller

Most of my activities are water based, so here's a few food suggestions without having to leave Moultonborough. You should also check the restaurant thread for some other possibilities.

-Get a sub from Jo Jo's (down Moultonborough Neck about 4 miles). They are extremely good.

-The Village Kitchen on Rt. 25 in Moultonborough has some great food at reasonable prices. It's between Moultonborough Neck and the center of Moultonborough.

-The Woodshed has always had terrific prime rib as well as nice large "swirler" sized cocktails. Pricey but you're on vacation so why not.

-On the other side of Moultonborough near Suissevale is Skelly's. They have many delicious flavors of ice cream to choose from. Another ice cream possibility is Red Hill Dari on the Center Harbor town line.
neckdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
camp guy

Default What should I do?

Well, how about this - DO whatever you want !!

If restaurants are your thing, you can essentially "eat your way around the Lake" finding excellent restaurants in each of the towns bordering the Lake. The restaurants may not be on the Lake, but the ride is pleasant. When in Moultonboro you may want to try The Woodshed, a very popular, classy restaurant; when in Wolfeboro try Garwoods, the Restaurant, Bayside Grille, or Mise En Plas; when in Alton try William Tell; when in Meredith try George's Diner, Church Landing; and when in Weirs try anything, it is all sort of board walk type dinning.

The are many entertainment venues in the Lakes Region, including water activities, mini golf, movies, and shopping galore.

Weather is a factor, so do outside activities every day the weather is good, and pick up shopping during the rainy days. What I am saying is, don't plan an itinerary, sieze the day when the weather is good.

Enjoy yourself. Oh, as far as ice cream is concerned, there is ice cream EVERYWHERE, and it is all good. Some people have their favorites, but believe me, having eaten ice cream from all around the Lake, it is all good!
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
Ron's Fiberglassing USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasthere View Post
I am thrilled I am able to stay at the lake for 2 weeks this year!!! Usually I don't want to leave the water because it is such a short time. We take one day and do funspot, and weirs trip. Kids will be with us but they are basically grown now. What are some of your favorite activities, Resturants, Ice Cream spots? I would appreciate some ideas of things to do when I am not reading my new 700+ page book "the passage"!
The Sprint cup races are on the weekend, water country seem to be a hit with older kids. Just have a wonderful time in New Hampshire.
Ron's Fiberglassing USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
wishiwasthere

neckdweller you have good taste! We can walk to Jojo's from our rental I love that place! VK we have been going to since it was a gas staion, even driving the 2.5 hours on a Sunday moning for my hubby to have the farmers breakfast! And the Woodshed we hadn't been to for years, but went last year and had a great time! Already planning a Sat. night dinner when my sisters come to visit. Love the swirlers and prime rib!! where the heck is skelly's?
Camp guy I like you advise DO whatever you want !!
I might just sit and read and then go eat!!!

Ron what are the sprint cup races?
Old 06-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default History buffs

If you are into history there is:
For WWII: http://www.wrightmuseum.org/
Boats: http://www.nhbm.org/
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
jrc

basically grow up kids will apreciate time on their own, let them rent a canoe or kayak and do some exploring. Or rent a small outboard boat or sail boat, anyone can operate less than 25hp.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:53 PM   #10
jack1706

Default wishiwasthere

head towards Alton, Gilford...
climb mt. Major & view the lakes region....great photo op....

after that great hike... head to Sandy's Point & eat anything you want....

soooo good. best scallops, yum.... but best of all... enjoy the northern lights at night.. have a great vacation !!!!
jack1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #11
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1706 View Post
head towards Alton, Gilford...
climb mt. Major & view the lakes region....great photo op....

after that great hike... head to Sandy's Point & eat anything you want....

soooo good. best scallops, yum.... but best of all... enjoy the northern lights at night.. have a great vacation !!!!
Going to Clark's Trading Post in Lincoln is such fun! The trained bears are adorable and so talented. We are taking our husband's family there this year when they come to visit.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #12
wishiwasthere

Default northern lights???

Can I see those on the neck? Or just on Mnt Major? Kids are really on their own, they drive also! I haven't been to Clarkes in years!! I loved it there. Is that where they have the train and everyone yells "scram you old goat" or something like that?
Old 06-23-2010, 05:13 AM   #13
Begonezvous

Default Things to do

Bring your bike down to Wolfeboro and ride the rail trail. It is nice and flat and you'll see some great scenery.
Another quick trip from Moultonboro is to the Sandwich Creamery in North Sandwich. They have some great artisan cheeses that are made on site.
If you are adventurous, climb Red Hill in Moultonboro for some excellent views of Winni and Squam. If you are lucky, the fire tower may be open and the blueberries may be ripe!
Begonezvous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:16 AM   #14
SPT13

Default Races

The Sprint car races are held this weekend at New Hampshire International Raceway. It is NASCAR racing & there are races Fri, Sat, & the big race Sunday
SPT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:33 AM   #15
jack1706

Most definitely... they seem to pop up after 11pm to 3 in the am.

Best seen of course on a dark & clear night. look low to the horizon.. the Aurora Borealis is something to see.

We are so lucky here... ( no light pollution etc.)

Sandwich Creamery is a must... honor system ??? Unbelievable !!

so NH !!!
jack1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:37 AM   #16
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Instead of going to Clark's and watching Bears embarrass themselves, go to the Squam Lake Natural Science Center. At least you can see animals in more of a native and dignified atmosphere. It's a good walk and healthy exercise.

And why stop at just one ice cream place. There are multiple spots around the lake. I would try each one. My car always seems to have a steering problem when one comes into view. I really need to get my car looked at. And it is starting to lean to the left for some reason too....

Take the train in Meridith, Ride the Mount, mini golf at Pirates Cove. (We went last night. No one there on a Tuesday afternoon had the place pretty much to ourselves....)
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:20 AM   #17
chipj29

If you like movies, find an IMAX theater and go see Toy Story 3 in 3D. We saw it the other night and it was incredible. Amazing effects and a good story as well. There were plenty of other adults when we went.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #18
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
If you like movies, find an IMAX theater and go see Toy Story 3 in 3D. We saw it the other night and it was incredible. Amazing effects and a good story as well. There were plenty of other adults when we went.
Sorry Chip but that would have to be a worse case option due to terrible weather. You can see a movie anywhere. When at the lake, do lake things.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #19
Sman

Default hiking closer by

If hiking is what you want, you are right near Bald Knob, a short, fairly steep but great view out to the lake and Mt Shaw

http://www.nhtourguide.com/hiking/mt_shaw.htm

Or go further north to Mt Chocorua

http://hikethewhites.com/chocorua.html

Mt Major is a great view from the other side of the lake as pointed out previously - can be real busy.
Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #20
Nitronut

As my kids got older, we always made at least one trip to the drive-in at the weirs (sometimes 2). Would walk through downtown, get some pizza, and head on over around 8:30. The kids would bring their chairs and a pocket radio in case we had different tastes for the second movie.

Last edited by Nitronut; 06-23-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Nitronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #21
dragonfly03246

Default Lots of stuff to do...

Even an adult would enjoy the Polar Caves in Plymouth, The Flume in Lincoln and even Lost River!! You can go to http://www.visitwhitemountains.com/t...tion-pass.aspx

and get an attraction pass which allows you entry into 16 of the White Mountain attractions! It's a great deal but if you're only staying 2 weeks then at least check out the site and get an idea of what is available for a short drive away!!
dragonfly03246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #22
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Sorry Chip but that would have to be a worse case option due to terrible weather. You can see a movie anywhere. When at the lake, do lake things.
Well on a 2-week visit, I would think that there is a chance of at least 1 terrible weather day. Doesn't everyone go to the movies when it rains, especially when on vacation?
Old 06-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #23
John A. Birdsall

Default Alton mini golf

At the Alton Mini Golf they have an ice cream parlor. The Ice Cream is just great, and the price is very low. I had half of a kiddie cup and it was more than enough. But first go to sibleys next door and have a whole clam role, they are the best in the region I think. (I like Sandy Point, but these are better, and not as expensive) Johnsons is also a nice place to go, Have a great vacation. I will have mine the end of July, but till then its just Fri am to mon pm.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #24
winniplayhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Well on a 2-week visit, I would think that there is a chance of at least 1 terrible weather day. Doesn't everyone go to the movies when it rains, especially when on vacation?
Why not consider one of the great local theatres instead?!?!
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #25
hoytglp

Default zip lining

try zip lining in Lincoln right off rt.93 it was awsome great guides
hoytglp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #26
Argie's Wife

Smile And save money while doing it...

At restaurants: www.restaurant.com
(I can attest that this really works and is a great value. Just make sure you read the details of the coupon/certificate before you try to redeem it.)

Here's a coupon for:

Jay's Bayside Mini Golf - Alton Bay: http://www.jaysbayside.com/specials.htm

The Polar Caves: http://www.visit-newhampshire.com/lo...vescoupon.html

The Alpine Zip Line in Lincoln, NH: http://www.mountainresortcoupons.com...dow.cfm/c/5202

Weirs Drive-In Theater: http://www.weirsbeach.net/WDI_Coupons.html

FunSpot - Weirs (50 free tokens with purchase of $20 worth: http://www.funspotnh.com/mws-coupon.htm

Tanger Outlets (Tilton, NH) - SHOPPING! (tax-free, my friend!): http://www.tangeroutlet.com/tilton/coupons

Finally - here's the best listing I can find on what's happenin' in the Lakes Region: http://www.nh.com/nh/lakes/

If you find an event or attraction that is of interest to you - check the website carefully - you may find coupons there that will help to stretch your vacation money just a little further....

Wishing you and your family a great time here!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (06-24-2010), VitaBene (06-25-2010)
Old 06-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #27
pcmc

Bravo! Thankyou to Everyone for all of the great suggestions!

I have a question regarding the hiking.
When you go on one these hikes, how would you be prepared, in case you were to encounter some unexpected wild life?

Are there any training courses, or info on here, to help with common sense in the woods?(the what to do if 's)

We have memberships to the Squam Lake Natural Science Center and have gone on the trails there and love it. We have never seen any animals in the woods, so don't think I'm trying to frighten anyone. We have spotted the Suissevale Bear and her cubs a few times, they are really a beautiful sight.

I just don't want to be "that" guy who gets hurt in the woods and everyone shakes thier heads saying, "What was he thinking?"LOL.

Thanks,
Peter
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #28
Redsoxlover

Default Free passes and programs

Moultonborough Library has free or discounted passes to many area attractions including Science Center, Libby Museum, Castle in the clouds etc... Also tom night free program on the Red Hill Fire Tower, next week The Higgins Armory in Ma will be there all free. 476-8895
Redsoxlover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redsoxlover For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (06-25-2010)
Old 06-24-2010, 07:59 AM   #29
Begonezvous

Default Hiking tips

Peter,

The only real protection you'll need from the wildlife is a good bug spray. July and August are usually good from the standpoint of minimal insect activity during the day.
You do not need a training course for hikes; you just need to take some simple precautions and do some planning. I like to check out the AMC web site (www.outdoors.org) for trail planning.
Bring a backpack with plenty of drinks and some snacks. Be mindful of the weather and dress appropritely in layers that you can add or subtract as the weather and elevation changes. Do not start our with big objectives (like climbing Mt. Washington) until you are more comfortabe with less challenging hikes. There are some easy local hikes that are great for beginners. My easy list would include Mt. Major, Rattlesnake overlooking Squam, Mt. Shaw and Red Hill. The White Mountains inlcude dozens of hikes that are moderate. I always enjoy hiking Mt. Chocorua from the Piper Trail just off Rt 16. Cannon, Lafayette and Liberty up in Franconia Notch are more challenging. Be aware of your physical limitations and those of your hiking partners. Proper hiking footwear and socks will go far to keep your feet from blistering and save some wear and tear on the body. If you are into toys, a good GPS device can help keep you on course and maybe do some geocaching along the way.

Happy Trails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmc View Post
Bravo! Thankyou to Everyone for all of the great suggestions!

I have a question regarding the hiking.
When you go on one these hikes, how would you be prepared, in case you were to encounter some unexpected wild life?

Are there any training courses, or info on here, to help with common sense in the woods?(the what to do if 's)

We have memberships to the Squam Lake Natural Science Center and have gone on the trails there and love it. We have never seen any animals in the woods, so don't think I'm trying to frighten anyone. We have spotted the Suissevale Bear and her cubs a few times, they are really a beautiful sight.

I just don't want to be "that" guy who gets hurt in the woods and everyone shakes thier heads saying, "What was he thinking?"LOL.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 06-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #30
Begonezvous

Default Day trips

Pick a day for a drive along the Kangamangus Highway. There are numerous stops along the way that provide short hikes and little discoveries that offer some great photo ops. This would include Swift River bathing, Sabaday Falls and many others. You can start from either end (Lincoln or Conway) and find a great restaurant in either town to refresh and re-energize.

Another little side trip is a visit to Diana's Baths off West Side Road in North Conway. This relatively short and flat hike will take you to some small waterfalls and more photo ops. Unfortunately for me, Diana has never been around when I show up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Begonezvous For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (06-24-2010)
Old 06-24-2010, 08:36 AM   #31
Sman

Default hiking protection

On less traveled trails, some hikers attach a small bell to their backpack, in case there is an animal around that you don't want to run into, a noise might scare it away. They usually don't want to run into you either. So the thinking being if it hears the bell you may scare it away before you have a run in.

I have never tested this theory but that was the line of thinking that was explained to me by another hiker that I met on the trail once that had one.

Free untested advise

I agree on the bugspray comment
Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #32
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
At restaurants: www.restaurant.com
(I can attest that this really works and is a great value. Just make sure you read the details of the coupon/certificate before you try to redeem it.)

Here's a coupon for:

Jay's Bayside Mini Golf - Alton Bay: http://www.jaysbayside.com/specials.htm

The Polar Caves: http://www.visit-newhampshire.com/lo...vescoupon.html

The Alpine Zip Line in Lincoln, NH: http://www.mountainresortcoupons.com...dow.cfm/c/5202

Weirs Drive-In Theater: http://www.weirsbeach.net/WDI_Coupons.html

FunSpot - Weirs (50 free tokens with purchase of $20 worth: http://www.funspotnh.com/mws-coupon.htm

Tanger Outlets (Tilton, NH) - SHOPPING! (tax-free, my friend!): http://www.tangeroutlet.com/tilton/coupons

Finally - here's the best listing I can find on what's happenin' in the Lakes Region: http://www.nh.com/nh/lakes/

If you find an event or attraction that is of interest to you - check the website carefully - you may find coupons there that will help to stretch your vacation money just a little further....

Wishing you and your family a great time here!
Wow. This is great information!!! I copied and pasted it and sent it right off to a few friends. You really do contribute a lot to this forum!
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lucky1 For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-25-2010), Pricestavern (06-24-2010)
Old 06-24-2010, 12:11 PM   #33
Pricestavern

Default On Rainy Days

...we play games (Uno, Apples to Apples, Gin Rummy, Battleship, Mille Bourne, Yacht Race, Bingo, Backgammon, etc), go swimming (yes, in the rain - an interesting experience!), fish, read, nap, watch a DVD, listen to the Sox on the radio, or just watch the rain on the lake.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #34
trfour

Post wishiwasthere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasthere View Post

Traffic plans and more for race weekend in Loudon NH.; http://citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...631/-1/CITIZEN

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #35
pcmc

Wishiwasthere, sorry to hijack your thread....

I get these emails all the time with information about anything, this one says WASP spray is a great defensive tool. You be the judge!
Begonezvous, you reminded me of this when you said pack the bug spray, although this was on my mind regarding protection on a hike, not a gun. I figured I'd share the email with everyone, and you can take it with a grain of salt.

Sman, I like the bell tip. Maybe I'll take it step further and get some reindeer bells, let them jingle off my hip, and every time I pass another hiker I'll hollar HO HO HO, my eight year old will just love that.

Here is the email, enjoy:

This is an awesome tip. How about that?

Subject: Wasp Spray

I know some of you own GUNS but this is something to think about...---

If you don't have a gun, here's a more humane way to wreck someone's evil plans for you. Did you know this? I didn't. I never really thought of it before. I guess I can get rid of the baseball bat.

Wasp Spray- A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection. Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School . For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades.

It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray. "That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out." Maybe even save a life.

Please share this with all the people who are precious to your life

Did you also know that wasp spray will kill a snake? And a mouse! It will! Good to know, huh? It will also kill a wasp.!!!!
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pcmc For This Useful Post:
Happy Gourmand (06-25-2010), VitaBene (06-25-2010)
Old 06-25-2010, 07:31 AM   #36
AussieDog

Default Kangamangus Highway??

Indeed a beautiful drive...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kancamagus_Highway
AussieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #37
Loony Singer

Default Castle in the Clouds

If you've never been up there, pick a nice day and head up to the Castle in the Clouds: http://www.castleintheclouds.org/.

The drive up the mountain to the Castle is beautiful and the tour of the Castle is very interesting. Also, find time for lunch outside on the patio at the Carriage House just below the Castle. The food is very good. And while the service can be a bit leisurely, who cares when you have that beautiful view to behold?
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #38
mets3007

Lots of things to do at Lakes Region we usually spend most time at Weirs just walking or sitting on the benches looking at the water or at Endicott Park we also go to Jon's Roast Beef for lunch, breakfast we rotates Ames Farm Inn, Donna Jean's, Union Diner, Friendly's we also go to Tanger too and also to plymouth for a ride and to the nice walmart there. Dinner we go to Patrick's,T- Bones, Lakeside and Galley in Laconia. You will not have any trouble finding things to do. There are plenty of ice cream places like Lili's, Dairy Queen, Kellerhaus and JB Scoops. Have fun!!
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote