Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-18-2004, 12:20 PM   #1
NHLaker

Question Abenaki Tower

Hello all. I'm new to posting on the board however I've been a frequent visitor for quite some time now. I date back to the old board but have only now registered. Having said that, let me say the new design is great and I enjoy coming to it everyday. I know the work involved so I can appreciate the professionalism displayed and it's quite a neat little community you all have seemed to have developed. I'm in my mid twenties and have been going up to Long Island for two years (this summer will be my third). My question is this . I've heard of this place called "Abenaki Tower", I've heard it mentioned in this forum and have seen a picture of it in the photopost. From what I know of it, it seems to be a beautiful place to watch a sunset. I would really like to know more about it but I can't find any websites that explain more about it, how to get there etc....I would really like some more information about where it is, how to get there and anything else I would need to know about it. Any links or personal info about it would be great. It sounds like you guys and girls really know your stuff being that alot of you live up in the region. I'm from Manchester but make my way up to the Lakes Region a ton of times so I'm pretty familiar with the area, so I should understand the directions. Any guidence would be extremely appreciated. Thanks again for your help and I look forward to posting more in the future.

Thanks...NHLaker
NHLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 12:32 PM   #2
Grant

Default Abenaki Tower

It's right off of Rte. 109, approximately 8 miles north of Wolfeboro, just south of Melvin Village. There is a sign and parking area on the eastern side of 109 -- it's at the crest of hill (with a turn) and can sneak up on you, so try this:

Heading north on 109: Pass Nineteen Mile Bay, then Twenty Mile Bay, and you will begin heading up a long winding hill. As you approach the top of the hill, slow down, as the parking area will be on your right.

Heading southon 109: Pass through Melvin Village (don't blink) and shortly after the fork in the road where 109 and 109A diverge, you will start up a long, straight hill. The road bends left at the top of the hill and climbs slightly for about 1/2 mile. On your right, you will see a sign for Wawbeek Shore. Slow down. The entry will be about 30 yards ahead on your left.

Here's a rather large panoramic view from the Tower...

http://www.pbase.com/image/3447008
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 12:41 PM   #3
NHLaker

Default Abenaki Tower

Thanks a bunch Grant. Your directions are great, I shouldn't have any problems finding it at all if I'm carefull. Is this something that you go up and right back down or can you hang out for a bit? Is it usually crowded? Does it cost anything? Thanks for all the help.

NHLaker
Old 05-18-2004, 12:49 PM   #4
Grant

No charge. Rarely a crowd. No time limit. Just some fine views. Easy hike from the parking area.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 12:57 PM   #5
NHLaker

Default Abenaki Tower

Thanks again Grant, you've answered all of my questions. I knew I should've registered here sooner. If anyone else has any other useful info, please post, otherwise, thanks Grant.

NHLaker
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2004, 02:50 PM   #6
Scott

I hope you're not afraid of heights. I crawled half way up and then turned around and headed back down because I was pretty sure continuing on would lead to cardiac arrest.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 02:54 PM   #7
NHLaker

Default Abenaki Tower

Hehehe. Thanks.. Well, my fear of heights is only so strong. How high is this thing approx? I'm not great about standing on the edge of things with nothing around me, but if i've got thigh high walls around me, I should be ok. I'll make sure to bring my defribulator. hehe. Thanks for the advance notice though, It'll definately be in the back of my mind. Take it e.z.

NHLaker
Old 05-18-2004, 03:08 PM   #8
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts
Default Abenaki Tower

Grant's picture from PhotoPost:

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 06:06 PM   #9
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default another tower...

if you are into climbing towers you might want to check this one out. Especially since you already have the defribulator :
click here for link
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 06:37 PM   #10
MadMan

Default What about getting there by boat?

Are there any public docking facilities nearby if you are going by boat?
MadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 09:12 PM   #11
cowislander

Default Driving is best....

I suppose you could beach your boat at 20 mile bay and walk up the road a mile or so....but I'd recommed driving there the first time....Mark
cowislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:12 PM   #12
blondelawyergal

Default Views from tower.

Check out the photo posts by ddemers from the top of tower. It took us less than 10 min. from parking to top. (much longer from top to bottom ) We have some breath-taking photos from sunrise to sunset although have only posted a few. A must see!

Last edited by webmaster; 05-22-2004 at 09:06 AM. Reason: added link
blondelawyergal is offline   Reply With Quote