Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Mirror Lake's BB

Default E-ZPass

We would like to sign up for E-ZPass and wanted to find out if there are any problems with charges when trailering a boat (PA to NH, NH to PA). Also wondering that since we have PA tags on the car and NH tags on the boat trailer whether this will cause any problems. Thanks
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Lake's BB View Post
We would like to sign up for E-ZPass and wanted to find out if there are any problems with charges when trailering a boat (PA to NH, NH to PA). Also wondering that since we have PA tags on the car and NH tags on the boat trailer whether this will cause any problems. Thanks
I don't think the state tags matter as long as they are current. The E-ZPass system works the same way with a trailer. They have sensors that can tell when you have a trailer. It just get's deducted from what you have in the account.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
Mirror Lake's BB (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Axles

What amazes me is that the ezpass sensor can determine the number of axles on the trailer! Big brother watching!?!?!?!?
Old 05-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
What amazes me is that the ezpass sensor can determine the number of axles on the trailer! Big brother watching!?!?!?!?
Soon ezpass will have sensors to check for an enlarged prostate.

patman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patman For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (05-07-2013), SteveA (05-24-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
Water Camper

Default EZ Pass

I have used EZ Pass with a trailer and never had an issue.

Only issue I have ever had was using a borrowed car and not registering it with EZ Pass.

Hope that helps,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
nhboat61

I trailer between CT and NH and it just counts the axles, and yes two different state plates...sshhh (ny ezpass)

I have never had a problem. The plates on the trailers are not listed on the EZ pass, just the pulling vehicle. My Jeep has a FD plate on the front and when pulling the trailer blocks the rear plate... so it doesn't mater.

The EZ pass signal sent via the box is all the ID they need... the plates are only used when a signal is not picked up.

We have 3 cars and a few weeks ago we took the car with out the box and went thru every toll not realizing we didn't have the ezpass with us. I received my statement and had the plate listed on the statement and not the box-paid the normal tolls.

Last edited by nhboat61; 05-07-2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952

I live in Connecticut and purchased my EZ Pass in New Hampshire...never a problem....
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
JasonG

Years ago when I lived in MA, my family had a place in NH. We were told if we registered our boat trailer in NH we could not tow it out of the state of NH. The basis of this was because we were MA residents and registering something out of our resident state.

Granted this was almost 20 years ago, but something to double with with your PA/NH trip
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
Mirror Lake's BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhboat61 View Post
I trailer between CT and NH and it just counts the axles, and yes two different state plates...sshhh

I have never had a problem. The plates on the trailers are not listed on the EZ pass, just the pulling vehicle. My Jeep had a FD plate on the front and when pulling the trailer blocks the rear plate... so it does'nt mater.

The EZ pass signal sent via the box is all the ID... the plates are only used when a signal is not picked up.

We have 3 cars and a few weeks ago we took the car with out the box and went thru every toll not realizing we didnt have the ezpass with us. I received my statement and had the plate listed on the statement and not the box-paid the normal fee. .
We have been told by EZPass that you should also provide the trailer plates. Maybe to cover examples like the one you mentioned without the box. In case they have to photo your vehicle and only have the trailer plate, they can reference via that plate.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
Years ago when I lived in MA, my family had a place in NH. We were told if we registered our boat trailer in NH we could not tow it out of the state of NH. The basis of this was because we were MA residents and registering something out of our resident state.

Granted this was almost 20 years ago, but something to double with with your PA/NH trip
I to was going to bring this up... I can tell you that this is still the case. I register my boat trailers in NH because they never come to Ma. And I had to sign a wavier saying that I would not take the trailers out of the state.

There used to be a 15 day grace period, so that you could accidently go out of NH.... but that is now gone... NH had to many issue, with people illegally registering things to get out of state income tax in surrounding states.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
jrc

If you go through the ezpass lane and the transponder reads correctly, and the account is funded, you get a green light and it doesn't matter about plates.

But if you go through the expass lane and you get a red light, they look at the plate picture, then check to see if you have valid ezpass account tied to that plate. If you do then every thing is cool. Otherwise they send a $25 ticket to the owner of the plate.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
SIKSUKR

Your EZ pass is good at any of the 18 EZ Pass states from North Carolina to Illinois to Maine.doesn't matter who is from what state.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
BroadHopper

Default North Carolina?

I didn't know NC was an EZPASS state? They have no tolls.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #14
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Lake's BB View Post
How have you survived without E-Z Pass for so long. I have been an account holder since 1999!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #15
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
.... Otherwise they send a $25 ticket to the owner of the plate.
Hypothetically, if I were to loan my car to my son, and he paid a toll taker, but the EZ system malfunctioned and recorded my son as not paying. Would I, as the plate owner, then be charged a ticket (and have a record) without the due process of a NH court ?

Just curious.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #16
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

I just recently got a ticket for going through the Ted Williams tunnel and not paying a toll. My car has never been through the Ted Williams tunnel. My car has never even been to Boston. I have an initial plate and they are saying it is my plate. I appealed it and requested a picture of the car because it was not my car. I can't wait to see the picture. The ticket was $53.00. It makes you wonder, doesn't it?
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #17
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I just recently got a ticket for going through the Ted Williams tunnel and not paying a toll. My car has never been through the Ted Williams tunnel. My car has never even been to Boston. I have an initial plate and they are saying it is my plate. I appealed it and requested a picture of the car because it was not my car. I can't wait to see the picture. The ticket was $53.00. It makes you wonder, doesn't it?
Would it have been possible for some else in your family to use your car and you didn't know about it.

Maybe someone used your car to go to Logan International Airport.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #18
brk-lnt

Quote:
Interesting. I think I've only ever gotten toll tickets from NH, but it always included a picture of my car/plate.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #19
wifi

Quote:
Will they send you a picture of the car they allege was you? What happened to you are innocent until proven guilty? Are "they" a court of law or some black box, blameless, entity ? I need to register the cars to my cats
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #20
tis

Yes, you can request a photograph and I did. I don't know how else I can prove it wasn't my car. I have no idea who "they" are. I just dug the ticket out and on the top it says massDOT and the check is payable to MassDOT. It seems if you request a hearing you send that request to Tarrytown, NY. BTW, the toll was 3.50 according to the ticket. There must be someone in NH who goes to Boston a lot who has a plate like mine because maybe 30 years ago I got a Boston parking ticket and I had not been there. That was dropped.

We also had a friend from NH who had an initial plate and he drove through Boston and was stopped and taken to jail that night for RAPE! It seems his car was similiar to one they were looking for. He had an alibi -lucky for him! That was many years ago too. Guess Mass. doesn't like NH initial plates.

So I don't think there is any such thing as innocent until proven guilty.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #21
Mirror Lake's BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
How have you survived without E-Z Pass for so long. I have been an account holder since 1999!
Well, I still change my own oil, clean my own house, brew my own coffee, mow my own lawn, so old fashion is fine for me sometimes.

Actually, we googled a few years back "ezpass with trailer" and it seemed like there always were issues with trailers. For example, today we called EZPass PA and they mentioned that out of state trailer plates is not an issue. That differs with what has been posted in this thread. So it still doesn't seem so cut and dry and sometimes it just isn't worth it. They also mentioned that the toll charge with trailer is calculated by weight and not by axles. So for two trips to NH a year, it isn't really that big of a deal but may be time to change my stripes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirror Lake's BB For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (05-08-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #22
rick35

I've been going though the Hookset tolls pulling a trailer for years and have only once set off the alarm - this past Saturday. I heard the alarm and looked back in my side mirror to see the light flashing. I figured they'd check the image and charge my account manually.

It will be interesting to see how well the system works when Open Road Tolling starts which I think is this month. I noticed the lanes were wider when we through on Saturday. It looks like they just moved the existing booths farther apart.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #23
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts
Default Resident or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post

A non-resident may register a car or trailer in NH but the vehicle registered cannot be out of state overnight. The registration issued will say "non resident" on it. I would be surprised if any police officer from another state knows about that NH law. And, if they do know, an officer from another state can't write you a ticket for violating a NH law.

The NH Department of Motor Vehicles assumes residency based on what state your driver's license is from. So even if your primary residence, the town you vote in and file your income taxes from is in New Hampshire you can only get a non resident registration if your driver's license is from another state. I know this because I drove a company vehicle in Florida while working there this past winter. The Florida company required that I get a Florida driver's license. While in Florida I bought a new car to drive back to NH but my town refused to register it because without a NH driver's license they could only issue me a non resident registration and they wouldn't do that because they concluded (correctly) that to get back from Florida the car would be out of town overnight.

The way the laws are written they leave you no way to be right. In order to obtain a Florida driver's license I had to claim to be a Florida resident even though I am only there less than 1/2 the year. OOps!
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #24
HomeWood

When I signed up for EZ Pass several years ago, I read that it was fine to tow a trailer now and then. If you towed a trailer all the time, they wanted to know type and plate #. Well, I don't tow a trailer all the time when I do through EZ Pass, thus I did not provide any trailer information.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #25
dpg

When I was down in the Orlando area in April they seemed to handle tolls better than around here. People paying cash exited off to the side of the highway to stop and pay. If you had a transponder on your vehicle you never really even realize you've gone through the toll you just keep tooling along at your current speed with no toll islands or anything in the road. Isn't that the way it should work not getting slowed down at all?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #26
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
When I was down in the Orlando area in April they seemed to handle tolls better than around here. People paying cash exited off to the side of the highway to stop and pay. If you had a transponder on your vehicle you never really even realize you've gone through the toll you just keep tooling along at your current speed with no toll islands or anything in the road. Isn't that the way it should work not getting slowed down at all?
They already have open road tolling on 95 in Hampton and 93 in Hooksett is due to open in June.Have not heard anything about Rt3 in Bedford yet. I know they are trying to take the tolls out on the ramps in Merrimack.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #27
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Hypothetically, if I were to loan my car to my son, and he paid a toll taker, but the EZ system malfunctioned and recorded my son as not paying. Would I, as the plate owner, then be charged a ticket (and have a record) without the due process of a NH court ?

Just curious.
As with any ticket, you have the right to either admit guilt by paying the fine, or go to court.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #28
Pineedles

Default Monthly charge?

Does anyone pay a monthly statement charge for their E-Z Pass? I got mine in NJ nearly 20 years ago and they charge $2.00 per month for an electronic email of my account. I've heard some states don't charge for anything but the toll.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #29
jrc

WIFI, you do not get a criminal ticket but an administrative fine. And it comes form the EZPASS company, not from the state. You can dispute it. I don't know what to do if you don't like the results of that process.

I've never had this happen but a family member routinely has to deal with this for a small business with several vehicles.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #30
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Does anyone pay a monthly statement charge for their E-Z Pass? I got mine in NJ nearly 20 years ago and they charge $2.00 per month for an electronic email of my account. I've heard some states don't charge for anything but the toll.
I do not pay a fee in NH. Every so often they charge me like $30 to replenish the funds.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #31
EllyPoinster

Default Possible Duplicate Number?

Quote:
There are duplicate plates in NH, just not on the same plate type. When I wanted to get a plate with my initials on it, it was available on a veteran's plate but not on a standard one.
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #32
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
I do not pay a fee in NH. Every so often they charge me like $30 to replenish the funds.
Same here. I have one transponder registered to two vehicles. My wife's car is registered in NH and mine in Mass. There has never been an issue with residency stuff. If I drive through the tolls without my transponder there is no fine or violation, they just snap a picture and link my license plate to my account and deduct the toll fee.
EZPASS deducts money from my bank account when the balance is low.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #33
nhboat61

Quote:

I have an NY EZ pass, since I use my credit card for automatic replenishment and receive my statement via email, I am not charged any fees or security.

If you pay via check or cash, or have a statement mailed to you, there are fees and a security deposit on the device.
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #34
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyPoinster View Post
There are duplicate plates in NH, just not on the same plate type. When I wanted to get a plate with my initials on it, it was available on a veteran's plate but not on a standard one.
Really? I did not know that! Thanks for letting me know.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #35
boat_guy64

Default Check your statements

I've had 2 ezpasses for about 10 years and I recently added a third when we added a third car. I'll admit that I never check my statement but I did notice quite a few of those $30 charges on my credit card. Since my wife lives at the lake in the summer and it is just me commuting on the weekends, it takes quite a while to accumulate $30 in charges. So, I finally checked my statement and realized that my third car was going down 93, over to 95 up onto the Maine turnpike about 3 times per week.

It seems that ezpass marked down the wrong id number when they sent me my pass. I was being charged for their charges and they for mine. After a few phone calls, they determined the mistake, gave me a $140 credit and I presume charged the other person.

So, check your statements.

BTW, getting back to the original question, I trailer my snowmobiles through tolls quite often and have never had an issue.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #36
SIKSUKR

Quote:
They certainly have tolls.
http://www.ncdot.gov/turnpike/tolls/
Heres' the list.
https://www.ezpassnh.com/en/about/facilities.shtml
Old 05-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #37
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_guy64 View Post
I've had 2 ezpasses for about 10 years and I recently added a third when we added a third car. I'll admit that I never check my statement but I did notice quite a few of those $30 charges on my credit card. Since my wife lives at the lake in the summer and it is just me commuting on the weekends, it takes quite a while to accumulate $30 in charges. So, I finally checked my statement and realized that my third car was going down 93, over to 95 up onto the Maine turnpike about 3 times per week.

It seems that ezpass marked down the wrong id number when they sent me my pass. I was being charged for their charges and they for mine. After a few phone calls, they determined the mistake, gave me a $140 credit and I presume charged the other person.

So, check your statements.

BTW, getting back to the original question, I trailer my snowmobiles through tolls quite often and have never had an issue.

That is exactly why I have never had and expect to never have EZpass. We don't travel through the tolls every day and the times we do, I would rather pay as we go and not have to fight incorrect charges. I bet most people don't bother to check them and I bet a lot of people are being charged incorrectly.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #38
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
That is exactly why I have never had and expect to never have EZpass. We don't travel through the tolls every day and the times we do, I would rather pay as we go and not have to fight incorrect charges. I bet most people don't bother to check them and I bet a lot of people are being charged incorrectly.
It's like every other billing statement you get, you gotta check it.
It sure is nice to be able to cruise right through the tollbooth without stopping. It's especially nice on a Friday night when the lines at the cash booth are 20 or 30 cars deep, sometimes deeper.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #39
HomeWood

I hit every toll from MD to NH and back when I come up (no tolls in NC &VA on I95). I love EZ Pass and I especially love it when there are a million cars at some of these tolls. Leaving NJ going south can be awful and there is a 55mph EZ Pass lane I can fly right through.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #40
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,993 Times in 910 Posts

Quote:
We get an email notice every month with a link to the month's charges. Never had an error, and yes I do click on the link each month. We get a 30% discount on all NH tolls so the $8.90 transponder cost will be recovered and then after that it is pure discount and no waiting and fumbling for the coins. But please feel free to stop and wait in line.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #41
ghfromaltonbay

Default NY Thruway EZ Pass

Way before NJ started using EZ Pass on the Garden State Parkway & NJ Turnpike, I signed up for EZ Pass thru the NY Thruway system for travel over the Tappan Zee Bridge and also for trips to Long Island. I get a discount on most NY toll roads. I was glad to see that the Mass Pike also accepted EZ Pass years ago, so the only tolls I had to stop and pay on my 300 mile trip to NH were in Bedford & Hooksett on the Everett. NH finally joined the modern age and now I'm happy to see the Hooksett toll is being retrofitted for high speed toll lanes as well. They are great here on the NJ toll roads, you can maintain the posted speed limit while passing thru. The NY system also provides free monthly emails with access to your account online, and I check it each month. No billing problems in all the years I've had the EZ Pass. About every 5 or 6 years I get a new transponder mailed to me and I send back the "retired" one in a prepaid return mailer sent with the new unit. For those like my parents who don't have email, a bi-monthly statement is available by snail mail, but this costs a $1 service fee. Every time I come home from NH and see the long lines waiting to pay the cash toll at the Sturbridge exit on the Mass Pike I'm really glad I have EZ Pass. I hear that exit is a real nightmare on weekends.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #42
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default GH, be a pal to your parents.

Set up a yahoo.com email for them, you receive the email, print out the statement, and mail it to them. Cost is $.46 vs $1 per month.

You could save them $6.48 per year!!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 04:33 AM   #43
ApS

Exclamation You'll Be Mailed One—Sometimes Two—Bills for One Toll-Road Use...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Do Florida toll stations accept E-Z Pass?

There are toll roads in Florida that have no (zero) toll stations to stop at.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #44
Newbiesaukee

Only SunPass works in FL. Allegedly investigating linking with EZPass. There are many toll roads which only accept SunPass, no cash.

And I will be using those roads tomorrow for my annual trek to the Lake. Yay!!!

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #45
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
We get an email notice every month with a link to the month's charges. Never had an error, and yes I do click on the link each month. We get a 30% discount on all NH tolls so the $8.90 transponder cost will be recovered and then after that it is pure discount and no waiting and fumbling for the coins. But please feel free to stop and wait in line.

Thank you very much. I will. And I will give up the discount too.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #46
Justenuff

Default Sure Is!

Quote:
Been charging for quite a while in the RTP area. Just opened 540 to Holly Springs and charging tolls.

I still have my FASTLANE account (now EZPass) and use it when I come up north from NC.

All my plates are now from NC except my daughter who still lives in MA.

I've even put rental cars on the account when I rent.
Justenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #47
fpartri497

I have had NH Ez pass for years and never once had an issue

Old 05-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #48
SIKSUKR

Default No brainer

Easy pass user since it came to NH.Never a billing issue and I'll take the %30 discount thank you.Why wouldn't everybody that regularly passes tollbooths use it?Just looked at my past year transactions and figured about a $25 savings.That plus no looking for money and getting through the tolls way faster is a no brainer.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #49
Smith Point

Let me tell you my story. Living in RI working in Boston I got the “fast lane” pass, moved to ME. So now I have ME registration with a MA fast lane using a e-z pass toll. So I get a notice in the mail that I gave been using a illegal fast lane pass along with a fine. So ill take care of this problem later. Going to the lake I got nabbed for speeding in Portland 5:00 on Friday afternoon, they canceled my registration on my vehicle! Driving an unregistered vehicle they towed it on the spot! So I get a ride with the tow truck driver we exit at Congress Street he tells me to GET OUT! Now keep in mind that I’m not in the best of moods, words were spoken and he ends up calling the cops on me for assault charges! So I get out of that situation, now I need to get hotel for the night ($100) (thank you AAA) so I can go to the registry in the morning and straighten out this mess. Waited in line at the registry they said I need to pay my fines first got a taxi to e-z pass headquarters paid the fine, ($250) back to the registry got the car reregistered ($100) got the car out of impound ($100) just about 24 hours later I’m back where I started heading to the lake.
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Smith Point For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #50
Smith Point

You know what going to happen next is, e-z pass knows exactly what time you pass through the toll, and they know exactly the distance between tolls they can determine how fast you are driving form point A to point B next thing you know they will send you a speeding ticket in the mail.
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #51
fatlazyless

...have always used a dollar bill or 4-quarters and never a problem ......what is so uneasy about using four quarters? ..... and what-o-what can I do with these left-over Old Man of the Mountain NH highway tokens that were purchased for 37 1/2-cents each back in 2006 or so?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #52
Rusty

You might as well get an EZ-Pass because in the future all-electronic, no-cash tolling will be the only way you will be able to go thru tolls.
If you don't have one they will take a picture of your license plate and send you the toll charge plus an administration fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
...have always used a dollar bill or 4-quarters and never a problem ......what is so uneasy about using four quarters? ..... and what-o-what can I do with these left-over Old Man of the Mountain NH highway tokens that were purchased for 37 1/2-cents each back in 2006 or so?
Throw the old tokens in the back of your truck along with the rest of the things that you will never use.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #53
AB_Monterey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Only SunPass works in FL. Allegedly investigating linking with EZPass. There are many toll roads which only accept SunPass, no cash.

And I will be using those roads tomorrow for my annual trek to the Lake. Yay!!!
Correct.

Interestingly, we're in FL every winter and have gone through tolls multiple times, specifically in St. Pete and Alligator Alley with our EZpass and it wasn't until this year that we realized that FL does not accept EZpass.

We've never got a ticket from Florida and we've been driving through these tolls for 4-5 years now. I finally checked our statement to confirm that there haven't been any FL charges. Suffice it to say, we pay cash now.

Still, I do wonder why we've never got the fine. Perhaps they don't bother with out of staters? They apparently do have the cameras at all tolls.

There should be a penalty for stupidity, we've just been lucky....
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #54
Jersey Joe

From the NJ EZ Pass website:

"I sometimes pull a camper or trailer with my vehicle. Can I still use my tag?

Yes. In this instance the equipment in the lane is designed to identify that your vehicle is pulling a trailer and you will be charged accordingly. However, if you think this will be a regular occurrence, you should call the Customer Service Center and have them send you a tag programmed for the vehicle classification you use most frequently. You should never use your tag in a vehicle type other than the one you initially requested (i.e. Car tag in a tractor-trailer)."
Jersey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #55
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith Point View Post
You know what going to happen next is, e-z pass knows exactly what time you pass through the toll, and they know exactly the distance between tolls they can determine how fast you are driving form point A to point B next thing you know they will send you a speeding ticket in the mail.
I believe there are laws in place to prevent them from being able to do this in some states.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #56
chipj29

Quote:
The tokens were discontinued a few years back. They gave time for people to use them, but once the cut off date hit, they were unable to be used.

So the tokens you bought are now worthless.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #57
ghfromaltonbay

Default I've offered

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Set up a yahoo.com email for them, you receive the email, print out the statement, and mail it to them. Cost is $.46 vs $1 per month.

You could save them $6.48 per year!!!!
My father prefers to get his bills via snail mail (phone bill, car insurance, electric bill, etc.) and pay by check. I did finally get him to use automatic payment for the gas & electric bill while he's away during the summer months. Actually, if I printed out the bills for him he'd save $12.00 per year as I see them weekly and would deliver the printouts in person.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ghfromaltonbay For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #58
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
The tokens were discontinued a few years back. They gave time for people to use them, but once the cut off date hit, they were unable to be used.

So the tokens you bought are now worthless.
Not so! I gave them to my daughter and she was able to use them in the parking meters in NYC!

I was also told you can use them in arcade games!
chipj29 (05-10-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #59
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Somebody told me they work in the machines at Funspot. I can't verify this, but I'm sure you will be able to.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #60
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith Point View Post
That is another reason, I don't like them. I feel like they are in the car with me. Guess I must own a tin foil hat, huh?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #61
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
I believe there are laws in place to prevent them from being able to do this in some states.
Didn't they try this in MA?
Old 05-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #62
patman

The system works fine with trailers, done it a bunch of times and it takes the appropriate fee. Early on there was an issue where a motorcycle right behind your car would be misinterpreted as a trailer, but that was fixed pretty quickly.

I've only had two problems with ezpass, and I signed up pretty soon after it was offered in NH so that's been quite a while.

1) I drove down to MA and went through the rochester, dover pt, and hampton tolls, then did the same route on the way back. 5 of the 6 worked fine, but one of the dover pt trips I got a violation letter about. They claimed my plate was not in the ezpass database, so I got the ticket. I looked online and my plate was listed as "1234-ABC" instead of "1234 ABC", so I changed it to a space, checked the 'yes I really do have ezpass' box and mailed it back, and never heard anything about it again.

2) I was driving my mother-in-law's car...and she doesn't have ezpass...but I was thoroughly conditioned (ala Pavlov) to drive through the ezpass lane. She got a ticket in the mail a few weeks later. Not really a system problem per-se, but it's something to consider. (Yes, I paid the ticket.)

As for Florida...don't get me started. I rented a car in Orlando early this year and brought my ezpass with me...only to find it was incompatible with the system there. Luckily the attendant warned me before I found out the hard way. The rental company wanted $8/day to use their transponder (plus toll fees) which I declined.

Even though I went through cash tolls every time (see story 2 above where I learned my lesson) two months later I get hit up by the rental car company saying I ran a toll...at a cash toll...and my CC has been charged for the toll plus a $50 administrative fee to the rental company...who very likely just got charged the 75¢ for the toll by the state on their account. Completely false, smells a LOT like a scam, but...how are you going to fight it?

Ironically, the one incident I *was* worried about was after hours when there was nobody staffing the tolls, and the coin-op machine was not working. Everyone was getting the red light and the alarm bell as they threw in coins and drove through, myself included. That wasn't the one that they complained about though. Turns out the FL machines are notorious for jamming, and they figured out that they shouldn't issue tickets for times when they know the machine is not working.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #63
boat_guy64

Default Old tokens

Quote:

I think the old tokens were 12 1/2 cents back in the day. However, there is a use for them. Several years ago, I took the kids to Chuck-E-Cheese and I noticed that some of the tokens were actually turnpike tokens. They work just fine. So go to Chuck-E-Cheese, have some pizza and play some games with your old tokens.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #64
BroadHopper

Default EZPass

When NH made the decision to turn to EZPass the company told the legislature that they will collect more money than they have in the past because it requires less staff to collect, there will be less violators and instead of 50% token discount there will be a 33% discount.

Years later, we have the same number of token takers, collecting less money as many people are taking the back roads, and the adminstration fee to run the program is astronomical. There was a WSJ article that investigates the enormous salaries of the company's directers and managers. I think NJ tried to sue the company and for some unknown clause(s) in the contract between the state and the EZPass company it failed in court.

The only people that are happy about EZPass is the EZPass owners and direcotrs.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #65
RailroadJoe

Default NO e-z pass for me

I don't use the e-z pass system very much. Once a year around Christmas when I drive to Mass for family gatherings. When I drive down during the month, I always take the back country roads. Being old and retired I am never in a rush. A one hour drive on the highways ends up being a 2 1/2 trip with no stress. Best way to travel.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #66
P-3 Guy

Quote:
...collecting less money as many people are taking the back roads...
That's really interesting. I've been going through the Hampton and Hooksett tolls for years, and if anything it seems that the traffic is getting worse. Thank goodness for EZPass and the high speed toll lanes.

Where are you getting your information that traffic through the tolls is down as a result of more people using the back roads?

Edited to add: I don't know why New Hampshire would have the same number of toll takers after the implementation of EZPass, unless their union is out-of-control strong. That just defies common sense. In Maine, the number of toll takers on the Maine Turnpike has decreased significantly since electronic tolling was put in place, resulting in a substantial savings in personnel expenses. Some of that savings was stolen by the former and now criminally convicted executive director of the Maine Turnpike Authority, but that's a different story.

Last edited by P-3 Guy; 05-09-2013 at 07:10 PM.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #67
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMI Guy View Post
That's really interesting. I've been going through the Hampton and Hooksett tolls for years, and if anything it seems that the traffic is getting worse. Thank goodness for EZPass and the high speed toll lanes.

Where are you getting your information that traffic through the tolls is down as a result of more people using the back roads?
I agree, most coming north are in such a rush to get from point A to point B the last thing they would do is take the back roads, even if it cost them a couple of bucks more.
That is why I couldn't understand why they never put in a toll both at the state line in Nashua, the big push was because it would increase traffic on the back roads.
Are you kidding me? Anyone who has driven in the Nashua area knows that getting off the highway in that area is done only as a necessity.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #68
ITD

I hate to be Johnny Buzzkill here, but using the tokens in places where they weren't bought is stealing, plain and simple, they are worthless now and if you use them other places you might as well be holding a gun to the owner's head and taking his money, same effect...... Just saying....
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (05-09-2013), HellRaZoR004 (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #69
HellRaZoR004

Default Merrimack

Merrimack is being held hostage by the tolls. This is where they are having a hard time with toll collectors.

And the leaders in the neighboring town to the south passed a law stating it was illegal to put up a toll in Nashua. Who would have thought?

I might also add that this is where people take the back roads (to avoid the tolls in Merrimack). I'm one of them.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #70
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Merrimack is being held hostage by the tolls. This is where they are having a hard time with toll collectors.

And the leaders in the neighboring town to the south passed a law stating it was illegal to put up a toll in Nashua. Who would have thought?

I might also add that this is where people take the back roads (to avoid the tolls in Merrimack). I'm one of them.
Having lived in Nashua and worked in Merrimack I can relate to what your saying. I thought the Bedford Rd toll was being shut down.
I used to take D W highway to and from work 90% of the time. It just makes sense and traffic wasn't that bad working 2nd shift, I was going against it.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #71
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Didn't they try this in MA?
The toll ticket you get on the MA Pike has the time printed on it. I had heard that back in the day they would issue speeding tix if you got from point A to point B too fast, as it meant you were over the speed limit. It never happened to me but that's what I heard several years ago.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #72
chipj29

Quote:

I respectfully disagree with this. No one forces the people in Merrimack to use the highway.
I live in Bow. If I want to take 93 south, I can choose to get on at Exit 11 and pay the toll. I can also choose to drive a few miles farther on route 3A and get on at Exit 10 where I don't have to pay a toll.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #73
BroadHopper

Default Bypassing tolls.

All the years I have been commuting between the lakes Region and Nashua, I always take 3A through Bow to avoid the Hooksett tolls. Before EZPass i did not do that. After EZPass, it was getting expensive driving thru Bedford and Hooksett tolls twice a day. Sometimes I would drive 3A thru Litchfield to avoid the Bedford tolls. Driving thru Merrimac was a nightmare!

I found a number of folks commuting between Concord and Nashua following the same route.

I know of lake folks that use to drive to Concord to 393 to 106 to Gilford or 4 to 28 to Alton before EZPass. These same folks would get off the Hooksett toll to 28 to Alton. The Concord route via Rte 3A to Bow.

One nice feature is the Bow liquor store has access from 3A.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #74
P-3 Guy

Quote:
All the years I have been commuting between the lakes Region and Nashua, I always take 3A through Bow to avoid the Hooksett tolls. Before EZPass i did not do that. After EZPass, it was getting expensive driving thru Bedford and Hooksett tolls twice a day. Sometimes I would drive 3A thru Litchfield to avoid the Bedford tolls. Driving thru Merrimac was a nightmare!

I found a number of folks commuting between Concord and Nashua following the same route.

I know of lake folks that use to drive to Concord to 393 to 106 to Gilford or 4 to 28 to Alton before EZPass. These same folks would get off the Hooksett toll to 28 to Alton. The Concord route via Rte 3A to Bow.

Anecdotal evidence is all well and good, but I'm not persuaded that toll revenue has gone down because more drivers are taking the back roads since EZPass became available in New Hampshire.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #75
PaugusBayFireFighter

With the price of gas and the extra time it takes to bypass a toll, I don't see taking back roads to avoid a dollar (less with an EZPass) as a solution to toll roads.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (05-10-2013), JPC (05-10-2013), Slickcraft (05-11-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #76
chipj29

Quote:

I am on Rt 3A in Bow daily, as I live nearby. I typically get off at Exit 10 which is around 4:30PM each day. The stop light in Hooksett Village can be miserable. It usually takes 20 mins to go the 8 miles up 3A (a 5 min drive on 93). Going north on 3A from my house sometimes takes 15 mins to get to Exit 12 in the afternoon, which is a 3 mile drive, thanks to the stop light by Grappones in Bow.

End to end (Exit 10 to Exit 12) on 3A can take 20-30 mins. I would not want to sit on that road to avoid paying a $1 toll and add 10-20 mins to the drive. I only take it because I have to.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #77
P-3 Guy

Quote:
I am on Rt 3A in Bow daily, as I live nearby. I typically get off at Exit 10 which is around 4:30PM each day. The stop light in Hooksett Village can be miserable. It usually takes 20 mins to go the 8 miles up 3A (a 5 min drive on 93). Going north on 3A from my house sometimes takes 15 mins to get to Exit 12 in the afternoon, which is a 3 mile drive, thanks to the stop light by Grappones in Bow.

End to end (Exit 10 to Exit 12) on 3A can take 20-30 mins. I would not want to sit on that road to avoid paying a $1 toll and add 10-20 mins to the drive. I only take it because I have to.
If people are taking the back roads to evade the tolls as BroadHopper claims, it doesn't seem like it's worth it. But, that's a personal choice. What I do know for sure is that since New Hampshire introduced EZPass in 2005, the toll revenue for the entire turnpike system has increased:

2005 - $65,956,309
2006 - $77,773,358
2007 - $82,318,730
2008 - $100,448,444
2009 - $104,672,894
2010 - $116,568,154
2011 - $116,749,990
Old 05-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #78
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
If people are taking the back roads to evade the tolls as BroadHopper claims, it doesn't seem like it's worth it. But, that's a personal choice. What I do know for sure is that since New Hampshire introduced EZPass in 2005, the toll revenue for the entire turnpike system has increased:

2005 - $65,956,309
2006 - $77,773,358
2007 - $82,318,730
2008 - $100,448,444
2009 - $104,672,894
2010 - $116,568,154
2011 - $116,749,990
I'm not sure you can link EZPass to the increase in revenue. I do find it interesting that from 2010 to 2011 the increase was much smaller than in previous years.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #79
SIKSUKR

Some of that revenue increase would be linked to increased fares.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #80
P-3 Guy

Quote:
I'm not sure you can link EZPass to the increase in revenue. I do find it interesting that from 2010 to 2011 the increase was much smaller than in previous years.
I think that EZPass is a part of the reason, but certainly not all of it. The numbers of vehicle transactions over the same time period don't show the same kind of growth as the toll revenue, so as SIKSUKR points out, some (maybe even most) of the revenue increase probably can be accounted for by higher tolls. I do think that EZPass has decreased the loss from toll cheats, now that cameras have been installed at the toll plazas.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #81
BroadHopper

Default TMI Guy

Do you have the revenues before 2005? By doing some math based on the discount differences between the coins and ez-pass you can make reasonable estimate of the gain or loss in revenues.

If one can find the ratio between ez-pass and non ez-pass as well as coin and non-coin commuters, I can give you an accurate number.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #82
NoBozo

I wonder what percentage of the Take.. the E-ZPass Company gets in return for running the show. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #83
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Do you have the revenues before 2005? By doing some math based on the discount differences between the coins and ez-pass you can make reasonable estimate of the gain or loss in revenues.

If one can find the ratio between ez-pass and non ez-pass as well as coin and non-coin commuters, I can give you an accurate number.
2000 - $60,166,815
2001 - $61,536,675
2002 - $64,371,208
2003 - $64,367,301
2004 - $65,780,607

I was thinking of your post from last week when you said that "we have the same number of token takers, collecting less money as many people are taking the back roads..." Did you mean that the human toll collectors are collecting less money, or that the system as a whole is collecting less money?
Old 05-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #84
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I wonder what percentage of the Take.. the E-ZPass Company gets in return for running the show. NB
Good question. BroadHopper mentioned that there was a WSJ article about this. Perhaps he can find it and provide a link. My Google-fu must have been weak on this one.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #85
P-3 Guy

Quote:
So, it turns out that there is no "E-ZPass Company." Each state or toll agency administers their own program with their own employees. Toll revenue paid in New Hampshire stays in New Hampshire and belongs to the state. There is an "E-ZPass Group" that exists to coordinate issues between states and deals with matters such as interoperability. The E-ZPass Group has a whopping four staff people, and according to their website one of those positions is currently vacant.

It would be nice if BroadHopper could provide a link to the WSJ article that he mentioned in an earlier post that "investigates the enormous salaries of the company's directers [sic] and managers." Perhaps what the article was referring to was the Port Authority of NY and NJ or some other quasi-governmental body that has nothing to do with New Hampshire.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #86
NoBozo

Quote:
So, it turns out that there is no "E-ZPass Company." Each state or toll agency administers their own program with their own employees. Toll revenue paid in New Hampshire stays in New Hampshire and belongs to the state. There is an "E-ZPass Group" that exists to coordinate issues between states and deals with matters such as interoperability. The E-ZPass Group has a whopping four staff people, and according to their website one of those positions is currently vacant.

It would be nice if BroadHopper could provide a link to the WSJ article that he mentioned in an earlier post that "investigates the enormous salaries of the company's directers [sic] and managers." Perhaps what the article was referring to was the Port Authority of NY and NJ or some other quasi-governmental body that has nothing to do with New Hampshire.
SOMEONE ..co-ordinates ALL the E-ZPass in the United States. The equipment is Standard. Somebody pays for it. It's NOT provided FREE. There is NO Free Lunch. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #87
P-3 Guy

Quote:
SOMEONE ..co-ordinates ALL the E-ZPass in the United States. The equipment is Standard. Somebody pays for it. It's NOT provided FREE. There is NO Free Lunch. NB
Of course the equipment is not free; I never said that it was. The states or toll agencies have to buy it (the transponders and the tolling equipment), and those costs get passed on to the user, just as the savings of a more efficient tolling system do. As I said, the E-ZPass Group coordinates interoperability.

The important point, following up on earlier posts, is that each system is managed by a local government or quasi-government agency; this function is not contracted out to a for-profit company that takes a percentage of the toll revenue.
The Following User Says Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (05-14-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #88
BroadHopper

Default E-ZPass early days

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/18/ny...n-e-zpass.html

I found this article that confirms that an independent contractor use to run the E-ZPASS system. Now that each state have their own agencies, I guess the article I read is history. I did read that NY and NJ had problem with their E-ZPASS commissions. All states even NH has problems with commissioners. NH state liquor commission was under fire from time to time.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #89
SIKSUKR

I read it that NJ ez-pass was contracted out and that was over 10 years ago.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #90
Winnisquamguy

Default Ez Pass Opens May 22

Big changes coming!!

Quote:
CONCORD — Changes are coming to Interstate 93, including new full-service visitors' centers in Hooksett and high-speed tolling at the nearby toll plaza.

The Department of Transportation is ready to announce the winning bidder for two new, full-service welcome centers to replace the existing state liquor stores, visitors' centers and vending machines on the northbound and southbound sides of I-93 in Hooksett.

The Common Man's Alex Ray will lease the land for 35 years to construct single buildings on each side of the highway that will include state liquor stores, visitors' centers, 1950s-style dinners, Italian farmhouse restaurants, old-time delis, breakfast shops, convenience stores and 20 gas pumps.

The buildings will have a "New Hampshire mill building architectural style" according to the DOT. Construction is slated to begin in October. The northbound state liquor store is to be completed by November 2014, the southbound by March 2015.

The lease includes two five-year options at the state's discretion. The state will receive a minimum of $23.23 million over the 35 years of the lease and a portion of concession and gas sales that could bring the total to more than $39 million.

Maryland-based Host Internat'l and Chicago-based First Equity Group were the other bidders.

High-speed tolling

Just south of the service areas, transportation officials hope motorists will experience fewer delays going through the toll plaza when high-speed tolling opens later this month.

Gov. Maggie Hassan, Transportation Commissioner Christopher Clement and other notables are expected to be on hand at 11 a.m. May 22 for the ceremonial ribbon-cutting of the high-speed, E-ZPass toll lanes on Interstate 93 at the Hooksett toll booths.

The open-road tolling lanes will actually open early the following morning.

The $22.5 million project, which included upgrades to three bridges, is expected to improve the capacity of the highway five-fold and mean a faster trip for the nearly 70 percent of motorists who use E-Z Pass.

"Even though Hampton (open-road tolling) has been open for three years, this is going to be a new experience for people who drive the I-93 corridor. We think it will be well-received," said William Boynton, a state Transportation Department spokesman. "You save time, you save money. There's no lines, no slowdowns, no lane changes, no stopping." The Hooksett plaza will offer two high-speed lanes in each direction. Motorists without E-ZPass will pull off to pay a toll. There will be six toll booths on each side of the highway. Booth staffing will depend upon expected traffic volumes for the day.

People without E-ZPass who forget to pull off and pay a toll should go through the monitors. They will be traced through their plates and sent a bill for the toll and a $1 service charge, Boynton said.

Vote delayed

The welcome center projects are estimated to cost $32 million, with the Liquor Commission reimbursing the developer $8.4 million for the liquor stores. The developer is to design, build, finance, maintain and operate the service areas with the exception of the liquor stores.

The Joint Long Range Capital Planning and Utilization Committee was to vote on the lease Tuesday, but declined because the DOT — with the advice of Associate Attorney General Richard Head — said the name of the winning bidder could not be announced while the state continues to negotiate. Head said the developer's lender was reviewing the lease and it is hoped it will be finalized this week.

Committee Chairman Rep. David Campbell, D-Nashua, said "with all due respect, the council would not vote on anything without knowing who is the party." If the planning committee approves the lease, the Executive Council will vote on it June 19.
http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS09/130519563
Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #91
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Big changes coming!!
Boy wouldn't that be nice! Some revenue for the state, from a local business. Our snowmobile club (Bow Pioneers) used to have a trail that went to the SB liquor store. If this becomes a reality, we will have to pursue reopening that trail.

The open road tolling is good news as well, I think it will really help with the traffic at the tolls. I would also like to see 3 lanes going through Concord, but that won't be anytime soon.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #92
P-3 Guy

Quote:
The open road tolling is good news as well, I think it will really help with the traffic at the tolls. I would also like to see 3 lanes going through Concord, but that won't be anytime soon.
You're right; I'm afraid that open road tolling at Hooksett on busy north bound weekends will just mean that you get to the backup that much quicker that always develops where the highway reduces to two lanes at the I-89 junction.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #93
chipj29

Quote:
You're right; I'm afraid that open road tolling at Hooksett on busy north bound weekends will just mean that you get to the backup that much quicker that always develops where the highway reduces to two lanes at the I-89 junction.
Yup, that lane drop is horrendous. The widening is actually on the NH DOT 10-year plan.
BOW - CONCORD 13742 I-93 2011 Bridge Priority #43, #44, & #65. WIDEN FROM I-89 TO I-393 (Between Exits 15 & 16) TO MATCH INTO EXISTING CONCORD PROJECT 11449 @ EXIT 16, TO INCLUDE {Red List} BRIDGES 152/108, 150/107, 142/116 (PE Only) Red List Bridges
http://www.nh.gov/dot/org/projectdev...on_1-13-12.pdf
Old 05-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #94
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Beat me to it.Those Saturday summer morning backups should get longer south of Concord.Rt 3a is looking better.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #95
tis

Just thought I would let anyone that is interested know, I have been VINDICATED!! I finally got an email back today regarding my so called failure to pay a toll (even though I know I was not even there). It says: "Misidentified - Wrong plate type - appeal accepted - no further action required." They did not however, send the requested picture of the car that they have. I would like to have seen that.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #96
EllyPoinster

Quote:
Just thought I would let anyone that is interested know, I have been VINDICATED!! I finally got an email back today regarding my so called failure to pay a toll (even though I know I was not even there). It says: "Misidentified - Wrong plate type - appeal accepted - no further action required." They did not however, send the requested picture of the car that they have. I would like to have seen that.
Yup - same plate number, different plate type. According to the DMV web site there are eleven different plate types just for passenger vehicles. You can search for the availability of initial (vanity) plates at http://www4.egov.nh.gov/platecheck/platecheck.aspx
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EllyPoinster For This Useful Post:
tis (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #97
tis

Elly, I just checked that out and someone does have my plate in the conservation type. That must be who went through the toll (if it was even a NH plate). It sure wasn't me!!!!
Old 05-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #98
SIKSUKR

Default A little warning on the new Hooksett high speed lanes

Be very carefull if using the new lanes.Apparently yesterday a car stopped and sat there with its flashers on.Even crazier was a car stopped in that high speed lane while the driver gets out of the car and tried to climb over the Jersey barrier to pay the toll.Wow!Brain dead people out there.If you end up in that lane by mistake just drive through and you will be billed later with an extra $1 added on.
I see some pretty scary accidents waiting to happen there if this behavior continues.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #99
tis

I heard that this morning on Channel 9. At least NH only charges you the toll plus 1 dollar. Mass DOT wanted to charge me 53.50 (3.50 toll and 50.00 fine)! Glad it wasn't me!
Old 05-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #100
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
I heard that this morning on Channel 9. At least NH only charges you the toll plus 1 dollar. Mass DOT wanted to charge me 53.50 (3.50 toll and 50.00 fine)! Glad it wasn't me!
Are we SURE it's just the $1 toll plus $1 fee for driving through the EZ-Pass lanes when you're not an EZ-Pass user? Anybody find that in writing on the state website? Two bucks is hardly enough to pay for the paper, envelope and postage!!

The reason I ask is my son accidentally went through the southbound Hooksett EZ-Pass lanes a couple years ago. Once through, he pulled over into the breakdown lane and tried to go back and hand $1 to a toll taker. He was informed they couldn't take it but he'd get a "bill" in the mail. What he eventually received was a $26 bill, $1 for the toll and $25 for a fine! So much for trying to do the right thing!

I ALWAYS take 3-A to Manchester, it's SO much easier!