Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
Happy Gourmand

Thumbs up George's Diner in Meredith

First of all, if you don't like to wait in line, then George's is probably not the place for you. If you're looking for atmosphere to enhance your dining experience, then George's is not the place for you. If you're looking for a restaurant with a cozy table in the corner with a view, well, once again, George's just won't cut it.
BUT, if you don't mind waiting in line for a bit, you are not fussy about the design acoutrements, and don't give a darn about a table with a view and rather are more concerned with getting a great meal at a very reasonable price, then you've found a true gem in the Lakes Region.
We thought we'd be there early, a la early bird special, having arrived at about 5:30 and the line was out the door, all the way to the street, and even up Plymouth street by about 10 people.
This was not my first experience at George's and I continue to be amazed by the efficiency and great attitude of the wait staff. If you want to see some people hustle, and smile while they're doing it, they could be a study in time management and great service. Our waitress delivered dinner for 4 to an adjoining table balancing it all up her arm. I suspect she'd been there and done that before!
It was a Friday night....all you could eat fried haddock. I intended to get something different but when I saw the haddock dinners being delivered to some other tables I just couldn't resist. Thick pieces, perfectly battered and fried to a golden crisp...all 4 of us ordered it.
Three big thick pieces, fresh, flaky and tasty. I order fried food often when we go out because it's one of the things I just can't seem to do well at home. And why bother to try when George's does it so well? I let them bring me another piece...hey, it was all you can eat....and it was all so good.....except for the fries....I can't say they were not good, but they seemed a bit greasy and not as fluffy inside as I like. To be honest, they were exactly like the home made fries I make at home.
So there you have it.....2 thumbs way up for the all you can eat fish fry at George's in Meredith. And, as an aside, their breakfasts are simply outstanding too.
The Phantom Gourmand highly recommends George's Diner in Meredith.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-05-2008)
Old 08-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
Pineedles

Default Bravo

Do they take reservations? Do any tables have a view? No "cozy table in the corner with a view". Where is it Phantom?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #3
twoplustwo

Default it's on Plymouth Street...

... roll down high school hill, go through the lights, take a right at the Antler onto Plymouth St., it's the 3rd place on the left. Your best bet is to park in the lot across the street that's shared with Bootlegger's. No view, nothing cozy, no reservations (it is a diner, after all) but great breakfasts.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:00 AM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
....and it was all so good.....except for the fries....I can't say they were not good, but they seemed a bit greasy and not as fluffy inside as I like. To be honest, they were exactly like the home made fries I make at home.
So there you have it.....2 thumbs way up for the all you can eat fish fry at George's in Meredith. And, as an aside, their breakfasts are simply outstanding too.
PG Nice review, George's is a gem.

Regarding your homemade fries the key is to not try to cook them in one shot- With real handcut fries you need to cook them about half way, then pull them from the oil. You will see water pulling out of the fries, let 'em sit for a few then put them back in the oil, and cook to desired color!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:06 AM   #5
sa meredith

Default Best breakfast

All you need to know about George's is this...
Two doors down, literally about 100 feet, (so in a boat you'd be violating the "law of safe passage" hahahahhaah), is a breakfast diner, clearly visible from the main street, with tables readily available on Saturday and Sunday mornings...and yet people walk right past, further down the street, to George's, which is difficult to see from the main road, and wait 20 minutes for a table. They offer counter seats, several tables and booths, and an outside screen room (with a ton of privacy as it is surrounded by tall plants and shrubs) with tables for as many as 8.
When it is not too hot, the outside room is a great place for coffee, breakfast, and the morning paper. Also a great spot to sit if it is raining.
And finally, I will mention that they regularly offer Gazpacho as a soup in the afternoon. I know of no other lakes region restaurant that serves this daily. Very good.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
momof3

Default Child Friendly

Also worth mentioning...if you have children the staff there are wonderful with them! They let my two oldest order their own breakfast on Thursday morning, I am sure it would have been faster and easier to let the parents order but he children were persistent and the waitress was more than patient! Food is great!
momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:18 AM   #7
livingonwinni

Smile

Two doors down is sunshine and pa's, there is a wait there too. I also think the food is much better there for breakfast, Fluffy omelets done in pan not on grill and the cb hash way better then Georges. Can't say how their dinner is - haven't had it ,but I see they are open til 8 pm Friday and Saturday.
If you haven't tryed it you should
livingonwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #8
sa meredith

Default Really?

Livingonwinni...I was just curious when there is a wait there (Sunshine and Pa's). I've been going to George's for 4 year now...just about every Friday at roughly 8:30/9:00 AM, and almost every Sunday, sometime between 8 and 10AM, and have never seen a line.
Maybe in the late fall, or winter? I have never been in November thru April.
I'm glad that they too are doing well.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #9
livingonwinni

My husband and I go on saturdays, when we go all depends on when we get going. Rarely do we not have to wait for a few minutes anyway. Let me say we also go to Georges , mostly for fish fry which can't be beat.
livingonwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #10
Bigstan

We went to S&P's on Saturday during the weekend of the 4th. There were a few people outside, but we 3 got right in - no wait at all.

George's had a line down the stairs and 10 feet up the street (the longest line I had seen in a while).

I wish I had waited in that line..........S&Ps isn't bad in any one way I can point out, it's just not George's. You have to wait for quality, I gotta remember that.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #11
Taz

Default waiting

I never wait at any restaurant more than 10 - 15 minutes no matter how good it is. If there is a longer wait I go somewhere else. There are plenty of quality restaurants with out a long wait.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #12
JTA

Default Off season advantages

We boated to Meredith yesterday (Wednesday 9/3) and were the only boat at the town docks (9:30 a.m.). We had a great breakfast at George's and there were only 4 or 5 occupied tables in the whole place! Ahhh ... sweet retirement!!
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:23 PM   #13
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
My wife and I could not agree more!! We discovered George's Diner ten years ago thanks to one of her co-workers that lived in the area and it's been a regular stop for us ever since. Since we trailer our boat to the lake, the only real options for dining out have to be reachable by water; most places don't have parking for a full-size pickup with a 30 ft trailer behind it. It's the closest we can get to living on the lake like you islander folks! Anyways, we've never had a bad meal at George's; the staff is always friendly, patient and helpful! It's always a pleasure to stop there to eat, whether it be for a quick bite or a chance to stop and get out of the hot sun (not that there was a whole lot of THAT this year!). I predict we'll be eating at George's Diner for a long time to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA View Post
We boated to Meredith yesterday (Wednesday 9/3) and were the only boat at the town docks (9:30 a.m.). We had a great breakfast at George's and there were only 4 or 5 occupied tables in the whole place! Ahhh ... sweet retirement!!
God, I hope I live long enough to enjoy retirement like yours!!
Wolfeboro_Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #14
BeaverIslandGuy

Quote:
.and it was all so good.....except for the fries....I can't say they were not good, but they seemed a bit greasy and not as fluffy inside as I like. To be honest, they were exactly like the home made fries I make at home.
PG,

Agree with entire review. Great Job. I also agree about the fries. soggy and greasy when we were there for lunch this summer. Give the really good "everything else", we were surprised
Old 09-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #15
The Big Kahuna

Default Come out from under the rock

George's is old news, a great place to eat, but its been around for years. I can't believe people are just finding it now. My wife and I have been there many times over the years for breakfast and lunch, people need to get in there boats, in there cars or on their bikes and visit spots around the lake and just 3 miles from where they stay, I will be if they do that they will find a few more great places around the lake.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote