Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2020, 01:33 PM   #1
map

Default Ice Makers- the freezer kind

So we have a GE counter depth fridge/bottom freezer just shy of a year now. Put in by the builder. The ice maker and ice is inside the freezer. Nothing in the door.

The ice dispenser has one of those in the freezer slide bars for on/off. As we do not use much ice we keep it slid over to the off position. The green light is always on. There is no other on/off power switch. (There is also a water dispenser inside the fridge).

We have noticed that sometimes we hear ice drop despite the slide being in the off position. Other times- like this past week after we played around with it- it seems fine and we do not hear any ice going into the tray which we shouldn't.

As this is our first time having an ice dispenser hooked up, we are not sure if this is normal. We tried calling GE and got nowhere. They can send someone out as it is under warranty until the end of the month.

But if this is normal I don't want to sit home all day waiting for a repairman for nothing. Anyone know anything about this?

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

We have a similar set up, bottom freezer, nothing in the door. I'm unaware of any on-off switch except lifting the wire bail that prevents overfilling the ice bucket.
1. Why not just shut off the water supply? There should be a valve where the tube from the refrigerator connects to a water line.
2. Ice makers are often sold as a separate component, so with the water feed disconnected, you may be able to remove it and give yourself more space in the freezer.
3. Did the builder leave you an owners manual?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
map (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #3
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
We have a similar set up, bottom freezer, nothing in the door. I'm unaware of any on-off switch except lifting the wire bail that prevents overfilling the ice bucket.
1. Why not just shut off the water supply? There should be a valve where the tube from the refrigerator connects to a water line.
2. Ice makers are often sold as a separate component, so with the water feed disconnected, you may be able to remove it and give yourself more space in the freezer.
3. Did the builder leave you an owners manual?
Yes. Thanks. We have a manual. But we do want the water dispenser and I am thinking we can't disconnect the water and still have the water dispenser work. I could be wrong.

We do not have a wire ball. Ours is like a paddle thing. When you slide the switch to on the paddle juts out over the ice tray to gauge the amount of ice in the tray. When you slide the switch off it retreats back under the ice maker.

I did take the tray out for a while to make more room in the small freezer but every once in a while ice would fall into the freezer so I decided to put the tray back.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:38 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default My error?

I re-read the original post and I think I misunderstood "counter depth". This is perhaps a small freezer that fits under the counter? Mine is a large French door fridge with freezer drawer bottom.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:52 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I re-read the original post and I think I misunderstood "counter depth". This is perhaps a small freezer that fits under the counter? Mine is a large French door fridge with freezer drawer bottom.
You know how they usually stick out more than the cabinets? I think he means his is even with the cabinets That's what the term usually means.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
Newbiesaukee

We have a 15 year old GE refrig with the freezer compartment on top. It does have a switch which works on/off. The receptacle that holds the ice cubes produced by the ice maker is totally removable and sometimes if it is replaced it does not seat properly. What you are describing does not seem normal. It is perhaps possible, but unlikely, that if you removed the ice receptacle mid cycle that a few cubes might drop.

Parenthetically, a few years ago we purchased a GE built in oven. The first time we used the “clean oven” cycle, the heating element exploded, shot molten metal around the oven and scratched the glass. GE replaced the heating element so it worked but would do nothing about the rest of the damage to the interior which they deemed cosmetic. We had supplied them photos documenting the damage.We were not happy GE customers.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
map (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 05:03 PM   #7
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
We have a 15 year old GE refrig with the freezer compartment on top. It does have a switch which works on/off. The receptacle that holds the ice cubes produced by the ice maker is totally removable and sometimes if it is replaced it does not seat properly. What you are describing does not seem normal. It is perhaps possible, but unlikely, that if you removed the ice receptacle mid cycle that a few cubes might drop.

Parenthetically, a few years ago we purchased a GE built in oven. The first time we used the “clean oven” cycle, the heating element exploded, shot molten metal around the oven and scratched the glass. GE replaced the heating element so it worked but would do nothing about the rest of the damage to the interior which they deemed cosmetic. We had supplied them photos documenting the damage.We were not happy GE customers.
Can't speak to your particular problem, but...
As far as I know, you need to remove the grills from the oven before automatic cleaning. The oven-cleaning process produces enough heat to permanently discolor the chrome on the grills.
Maybe a small point- maybe not.
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:52 PM   #8
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
You know how they usually stick out more than the cabinets? I think he means his is even with the cabinets That's what the term usually means.
Correct. And the interior is much smaller than a standard fridge/freezer.
The Following User Says Thank You to map For This Useful Post:
tis (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 06:56 PM   #9
map

Quote:

Wow! That is really scary! We have had a lot of luck with GE and the old Hot Point appliances all our lives. We also like Bosch and Kenmore.

But in this house we have all GE. It is our first experience with a GE fridge and a counter depth style (which I hate only because it is smaller than I thought inside). Also our first experience having an ice maker and water filter/dispenser.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:00 PM   #10
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
As far as I know, you need to remove the grills from the oven before automatic cleaning. The oven-cleaning process produces enough heat to permanently discolor the chrome on the grills.
I never remove mine. I don't care that they are discolored because cleaning them is a lot worse of a chore. LOL!

Afterwards I do rub some cooking oil on the sides of them - or graphite- so they can slide easily.

In our last home we had a very expensive GE range/oven and it came with grills that have the special coating that do not discolor when you clean the oven. I don't know why they just don't include those in all self-cleaning ovens.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to map For This Useful Post:
ApS (12-15-2020), JEEPONLY (12-15-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 10:15 PM   #11
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
Not sure what you mean by the “grills.” The shelves had been removed but the heating elements are exposed. The actual heating element in the roof of the oven shorted, melted and spewed hot metal pellets throughout the oven. I was 5 feet away and it sounded as if it had exploded.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:58 PM   #12
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by the “grills.” The shelves had been removed but the heating elements are exposed. The actual heating element in the roof of the oven shorted, melted and spewed hot metal pellets throughout the oven. I was 5 feet away and it sounded as if it had exploded.
Grills/shelves- the things that slide in/out to make putting things in or taking out more convenient.

Your situation sounds scary and dangerous!
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 04:01 PM   #13
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by map View Post
I never remove mine. I don't care that they are discolored because cleaning them is a lot worse of a chore. LOL!

Afterwards I do rub some cooking oil on the sides of them - or graphite- so they can slide easily.

In our last home we had a very expensive GE range/oven and it came with grills that have the special coating that do not discolor when you clean the oven. I don't know why they just don't include those in all self-cleaning ovens.
True on the cleaning!- we have a big galvanized tub to soak/wash them in.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:57 PM   #14
ApS

Arrow Flummoxed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by map View Post
So we have a GE counter depth fridge/bottom freezer just shy of a year now. Put in by the builder. The ice maker and ice is inside the freezer. Nothing in the door.

The ice dispenser has one of those in the freezer slide bars for on/off. As we do not use much ice we keep it slid over to the off position. The green light is always on. There is no other on/off power switch. (There is also a water dispenser inside the fridge).

We have noticed that sometimes we hear ice drop despite the slide being in the off position. Other times- like this past week after we played around with it- it seems fine and we do not hear any ice going into the tray which we shouldn't.

As this is our first time having an ice dispenser hooked up, we are not sure if this is normal. We tried calling GE and got nowhere. They can send someone out as it is under warranty until the end of the month.

But if this is normal I don't want to sit home all day waiting for a repairman for nothing. Anyone know anything about this?

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks.
I'd be flummoxed.

I'd hesitate to have changes made when the unit is doing or not doing what it's supposed to.

No other area initiates expensive service calls than a refrigerator's ice dispenser.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
map (12-15-2020)