Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-22-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
Redbarn

Default basic map

I am in the market for a new toy, UTV, Something with tracks, snow mobile, 6x6, etc. But I think my choice will be largely decided by what I can actual use and where. As much as I may prefer one toy, it seems it may not be something I can actually legally use. So is there a map that shows what can be used where? This is for the winter, so I am curios about the RR tracks around the lake. I am kinda surprised this is so hard to find online. All the clubs, etc websites that seems to be what I am looking for have broken website or just do not work.
Thanks
Redbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #2
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default UTV/ATV's ON SNOMOBILE TRAILS

UTV/ATV's and SNOWMOBILE TRAIL USE

This applies to the Standard Season of Snowmobiling, December 15th to March 31th. Other times of the year they are closed to all WHEELED Vehicles.

Tracked OHRVs
In order to operate on state-approved snowmobile trails, an OHRV (wheeled vehicle) that has had the wheels or tires removed and replaced with tracks, cleats or skis, MUST be properly registered in New Hampshire as a snowmobile.

The tracked OHRV must meet the definition of a snowmobile as defined by law. The OHRV, with the tracks on, cannot exceed 54 inches in width and 1,200 pounds.

A snowmobile registration is only required to operate on snowmobile trails. If only operating on frozen lakes, etc., with tracks or as a wheeled vehicle, just a New Hampshire OHRV registration is required.
Machines operated as a tracked OHRV on snowmobile trails in the winter, and as a wheeled OHRV must be dually registered in New Hampshire; both an OHRV and snowmobile registration are required. Both sets of decal stickers must be displayed on the machine.

MORE INFORMATION,
http://www.eregulations.com/newhamps...n-information/

Last edited by WINNOCTURN; 11-23-2015 at 09:02 AM.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
Redbarn

Default thanks

So all wheeled vehicals are not allowed? only things with tracks as you define?

(the yelling red huge letters are not necessary, and that is what that mean in the "internet" your yelling )

Last edited by Redbarn; 11-22-2015 at 07:24 PM. Reason: i am dumb
Redbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redbarn For This Useful Post:
WINNOCTURN (11-23-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

There is a map that is available at some NH rest areas that have the major snowmobile trails on it state wide put out by the NH snowmobile assoc. These maps give you a "general" idea of where the trails are and where they go however for navigating they aren't terribly great. Each club produces more detailed maps which are better however these are not free- the proceeds do help support the clubs.

Since you probably aren't aware, the snowmobile trails are mostly crossing private property and by club member volunteers. Each club maintains an area of trail, clearing them in the fall and grooming them in the winter time as well as signing them for the season. Although it may be legal to ride wheeled ATVs on the snowmobile trails in the winter time, you will more than likely find that snowmobilers will not be to happy to see you riding on them as the ATVs tear up the surface of the trails and wreck all the hard work the groomers do to keep them smooth and flat. If you're going to ride an ATV on the trails I'd suggest you put tracks on it.

Trails that are used for snowmobiling are not necessarily open for summer time ATV use. In fact there are a fraction of trails available for legal ATV use versus snowmobiles although it should be noted that there are areas you can ride in the summer and it seems that more terrain is opening up.

If you are primarily looking to use your toy in the winter time I would suggest you get a snowmobile. Far better in the snow especially if you really want to go out on the trails and explore or better yet go on an epic all day ride.

NH online snowmobile map: http://www.jimapco.com/maproom/snowmobile/nh/

NH ATV trail map (see linked PDF)
https://www.nhstateparks.org/Activit...formation.aspx

Hope that helps.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Redbarn (11-22-2015), WINNOCTURN (11-23-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
HellRaZoR004

Here's another good snowmobile map...

http://backwoodsgpstrails.com/SledMap/SledMap_J_E.html
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
Redbarn (11-22-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2015, 11:13 PM   #6
Winopt

If this is for winter, snowmobiling is awesome in NH. The clubs do a great job maintaining the trails and you can go as far as you want. The NH trail system is extensive. You definitely want the right gear because it is no fun if you are cold. If have no experience and want to try it, there is a rental company in Franconia Notch that does guided tours and riding gear is included.
Winopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:16 PM   #7
Winopt

Smile

The name of the rental company is SledVentures in Lincoln. Think snow !!!
Winopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:12 AM   #8
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Winnocturn is correct in his statements. ATV use is on the rise in the state with more trails being added for summer use, but that is in the northern woods. We will never see lakes region trails opened to wheeled ATVs. For this area, I would look at a snowmobile.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
WINNOCTURN (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #9
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbarn View Post
I am in the market for a new toy, UTV, Something with tracks, snow mobile, 6x6, etc. But I think my choice will be largely decided by what I can actual use and where. As much as I may prefer one toy, it seems it may not be something I can actually legally use. So is there a map that shows what can be used where? This is for the winter, so I am curios about the RR tracks around the lake. I am kinda surprised this is so hard to find online. All the clubs, etc websites that seems to be what I am looking for have broken website or just do not work.
Thanks

One other thing... if you do buy a sled consider joining a club. You get a little discount on your registration if you register more than one. If you can try to help out and volunteer too especially in the fall when it's time to clear trails and prep for winter time. All the beautiful trails, grooming, signage and relationships that are formed with land owners are courtesy of the clubs and usually the tireless efforts of a few. The state does little in this regard. What trails we enjoy are not just there every year because a registration is paid to the state. You will never hear any club even the big ones turning down help when it's offered and it's a great way to meet like minded people. Even if you can't always help the club you belong to - help one near by.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (11-25-2015), WINNOCTURN (11-23-2015)