Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
Formula

Default Beach Sand??

Would anyone have any ideas on which beach sand is the best to use. Also is permit required to add new sand to a single beach? Any restrictions??
Thanks for all your help on this.
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
Eagle

You better check with the DES. I'm sure you'll need a permit and you can be sure you will be paying big time for it.

Or you can just do like my neighbor who just built himself a beach and dumped a whole truck load of sand into the lake. No permit.
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:26 AM   #3
RailroadJoe

EAGLE, you may have got your neighbor in trouble. I would not let any one know if some one fixes their property on any web site.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula View Post
Would anyone have any ideas on which beach sand is the best to use. Also is permit required to add new sand to a single beach? Any restrictions??
Thanks for all your help on this.
You may want to read this: http://des.nh.gov/organization/commi...ents/bb-15.pdf

Do like they did on the Great Escape. Make pants that have big pockets with trap doors in them. Fill the pockets with sand in your garage and then walk around the beach and voila, after 10,221 mini-dumps (give or take a few thouand) you've got a replenished beach.

Heck, you can even dump the sand while talking to your neighbor and they'll never know

On the serious side, this is why the hairs on my neck get raised when people only want to blame those with lawns as the reason for lake water quality issues.....
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
Onshore

You are supposed to have a permit before replenishing beach sand. You can file with DES for a Permit by Notification for the placement of up to 10 cu yd. All sand must be placed above the normal high water line. If you can get clean, washed sand that would be best but there is no legal requirement to use it. The prohibitions are on introducing contaminants and causing turbidity not on the sand itself, so use your judgement as to whether the sand you are getting is appropriate. Beyond that consider slope and wave action when select coarse vs fine sand.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
EAGLE, you may have got your neighbor in trouble. I would not let any one know if some one fixes their property on any web site.
I don't really care. The law is the law, even though I don't like the State telling me what I can do and confiscating 250 feet of my land. This guy didn't just replenish a beach, he built a brand new one and half the sand he dumped is in the lake below the high water line.

Since nobody knows where I live, I guess it really doesn't matter. And the State really doesn't give a damn except to collect permit fees.
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shore things View Post
You are supposed to have a permit before replenishing beach sand. You can file with DES for a Permit by Notification for the placement of up to 10 cu yd. All sand must be placed above the normal high water line. If you can get clean, washed sand that would be best but there is no legal requirement to use it. The prohibitions are on introducing contaminants and causing turbidity not on the sand itself, so use your judgement as to whether the sand you are getting is appropriate. Beyond that consider slope and wave action when select coarse vs fine sand.
Shore Things, could you list the DEP or RSA # that, that is listed under. I use to have it, but they have changed the site around and I can't locate it now. I know it also states the time period between the time one can replenish the sand, something like 3 years. We always use washed sand which helps reduce the chances of any bacteria etc in it. for any info that you maybe able to pass on.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:22 AM   #8
Formula

Default Beach Sand

Thank you for your responses it was very helpful.
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote