Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
Overlake97

Smile Burrito Me

A new mexican restaurant is opening soon in the old railroad station building in Laconia, formerly occupied by Las Pinatas. Their website is http://burritome.com/. There is VERY little info there at the moment, but they provide a clickable link to an ongoing Facebook dialog that chronicles their progress to date, and gives hints about the menu items and when they might open. (you don't have to be a Facebook member to read all this). It's planned to be a "mission-style" mexican restaurant (explained in the dialog) that will have tables, but no table service. The description sounds sort of like Anna's Taquerias in Boston (which are great if you haven't been to one of them). I'm personally looking forward to their opening.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Hermit Cover

Cool When??

Evidently there was a "soft"opening on Friday nite and a new order has been made for food...according to Facebook.... but in the meantime their Facebook information is limited and has no word when they will finally start selling food to the general public and what the hours will be....perhaps they could use this Forum as a method to reach those who are not Facebook-ers..... Their website has no pertinent information.
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
Overlake97

Default Opening Date -> according to Facebook

Their most recent post on Facebook says they're opening tomorrow (Tues, 2-16-10) at 11AM. If that's true, I assume they'll be updating/expanding their webpage soon. (They stated this opening day and time in the comments below their main post)

Last edited by Overlake97; 02-15-2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: add more info
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
magicrobotmonkey

Yep, we're opening today at 11, stop by for a burrito. The website is in the works, but we figured getting open was more important than fleshing out the site!
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
dpg

Mexican, Mexican, Mexican, to many of these restaurants opening up... Give me a good pasta dish any day.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
Exit20

There can never be too many restaurants opening up IMHO. Mexican, Italian, American or Greek, it's nice to see one less "For Lease" sign around the lake.

Can't wait to give Burrito Me a try and I reallllly can't wait to enjoy a burrito and beer on the sunshine filled patio.

And no, I'm not related...long time viewer, first time poster.
Exit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Exit20 For This Useful Post:
hockeypuck (02-17-2010), trfour (02-16-2010)
Old 02-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit20 View Post
There can never be too many restaurants opening up IMHO. Mexican, Italian, American or Greek, it's nice to see one less "For Lease" sign around the lake.

Can't wait to give Burrito Me a try and I reallllly can't wait to enjoy a burrito and beer on the sunshine filled patio.

And no, I'm not related...long time viewer, first time poster.

Good thing you clarified or you would of been pounced on!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
Hermit Cover

Default Good Food....Good Prices

Went last nite and found a busy place and a line of "hungrys" waiting to order. Our burritos were good....tasty chicken and really tasty steak (beef). Will go back again when the Dos Equis is in the cooler.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
magicrobotmonkey

Thanks for coming in, Hermit, we're glad you enjoyed it. I know DonnaMatrix was in there the other night as well, I hope she enjoyed hers as well. We've been doing a brisk business in our first week, with sales nearly double what we were projecting! I think burritos might be recession-proof
Old 02-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #10
Pontoon Goon

Default Don't know what to do anymore

Sounds great but can I bring my kids after 6:30 and what should I wear ?
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pontoon Goon For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (02-25-2010)
Old 02-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
donnamatrix

Default This is a MUST GO TO restaurant

Went on Saturday... it was FABULOUS. I got a pork and a chicken taco and my hubby got a chicken burrito. All were terrific, but the pork is to die for. Really, really yummy. So good my husband returned on Tuesday for lunch. Prices are low, food is excellent. The guacamole was perfect. By the way, the tacos are not the little yellow, hard, prefabricated things. These are fresh and perfectly toasted. YUMMY
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:13 AM   #12
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
Went on Saturday... it was FABULOUS. I got a pork and a chicken taco and my hubby got a chicken burrito. All were terrific, but the pork is to die for. Really, really yummy. So good my husband returned on Tuesday for lunch. Prices are low, food is excellent. The guacamole was perfect. By the way, the tacos are not the little yellow, hard, prefabricated things. These are fresh and perfectly toasted. YUMMY
After tasting DM's Salsa and knowing their skill with Mexican food- if they give this place a fabulous it must be good! I look forward to checking it out.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #13
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

From the Citizen
Quote:
Mexican Flair Continues in Downtown Laconia
Tuesday, February 23, 2010

DARYL CARLSON/CITIZEN PHOTO Business has been very good for cousins Rueben, left, and Aaron Bassett who opened up the newest restaurant in town last week, Burrito ME, in Veteran's Square in Laconia.

* Order a print of this photo

To a tremendous response, two local cousins have opened a burrito shop at the Laconia train station in the space most recently occupied by Las Piņatas Mexican restaurant.

Burrito Me — "my wife shouted it out one day," explained Aaron Bassett of the name of the eatery that he and his partner Reuben Bassett opened last week — is billed as "the Lakes Region's first Mission-style burrito shop."

According to Wikipedia, a Mission-style burrito is also known as a San Francisco burrito and is named after that city's Mission District where burritos come wrapped in aluminum foil and packed with sides, like rice and sauce, that other restaurants would serve up separately.

Wikipedia said the Mission-style burrito "is distinguished partly by the amount of rice and other side dishes included in the package and partly by sheer size."

Bassett, who is a graduate of Laconia Christian School and until recently was a computer programmer working in Boston, grew up in Belmont and now resides in Laconia. His cousin grew up in Michigan and Ohio and has a degree in marketing, and he, too, lives in the City on the Lakes.

The cousins opened Burrito Me on Feb. 16 and on their Facebook page last Friday, said that day was their busiest yet. The posting shows a photo from the kitchen "on a hopping Friday night last night. Our best day of sales yet! You guys are overwhelming us!"

"I really like cooking and I wanted to be a business owner and wanted to work more locally," said Aaron Bassett of how Burrito Me came to be. "I was commuting to Boston and I thought that we (he and Reuben) could do this together."

The concept behind the business is straightforward, like its menu.

Patrons pick a burrito, a quesadilla or a taco then choose a filling — chicken, pork, steak or veggies, including summer squash, zucchini and red pepper.

The burrito comes with cheese, rice, beans and salsa all wrapped in a steamed flour tortilla. The quesadilla, in a crunchy grilled tortilla, has cheese and salsa while the taco comes with salsa and fresh cilantro. A salad containing the aforementioned ingredients is also available. Extras include guacamole, sour cream and extra filling. Appetizers include chips with salsa, guacamole or both as well as a big plate of nachos.

"We don't have a large amount of money, we don't have a large number of ingredients but what we do have we start from scratch every morning. We make a few things and we make them well," said Bassett.

The "mission style" burrito, he added, is a good value and a good choice for people on the go.

"The entire meal is in the burrito. A lot of times if you go to a Mexican restaurant you get a tortilla stuffed with meat and beans and rice on the side. But here everything is in the burrito and it's really handy. You can take it to go or eat it standing up." The burrito comes wrapped in aluminum foil that the diner unwinds from the top down as he or she eats and the best past is that "you don't have to worry about buying anything extra with it," said Bassett.

"People keep asking me 'what are you going to do to set yourself apart' and I tell them we're selling burritos." Bassett said. He and his cousin did their homework, he noted, adding that "there's no burrito shop around and as far as getting into the restaurant business, this is an easier way than a full-service restaurant."

It's also very convenient, Bassett said, to be able to walk to work and to be located in the historic train station.

"Being in the downtown is pretty important to us," he said. "It was sad to see Las Piņatas go, but then the space was available and it worked out for us."

Burrito Me is open for lunch and dinner Monday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. and accepts all major credit cards. For more information, call 556-7798 or visit Burrito Me on Facebook.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #14
WinnDixie

Default Hungry!

"We make a few things and we make them well"--very smart!! It all sounds delicious, too!! I'll look forward to trying one when I'm visiting up there...meantime...hungry for a burrito! Best of luck to you!
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #15
nicole

My husband and I were off from work today and we headed to Burrito Me for lunch and it was very good! We both had chicken burritos-he had the big one and I had the regular size. Very tasty, very fresh. We will be back soon to try tacos or quesadillas!
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #16
angela4design

Thumbs up Two thumbs up!!

I tried Burrito ME today and was very impressed! It's not huge inside, but it was really busy, and every patron was walking out with a big smile, whether they ate there or got take out!! The food was great, fairly priced and FRESH!. I had pico de gallo and guacamole in my burrito, and lunch was just bursting with flavor! One of the owners chatted with customers while wiping tables after the lunch rush quieted, asking how everything was, and all were pleased. It looks like these guys have a great little business started here... that register kept ringing, and customers kept smiling, let me tell you!

I can't wait for warmer weather to sit outdoors with a Corona, too! We will be back!!
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #17
C Tucker

Thumbs up Two more happy customers

My husband and I tried the big burritos tonight as take-out and they were delicious. They were made just to our orders as we selected from rice-brown or white, beans-black, pinto or refried, filling-steak, pork, chicken or veg, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, hot sauce. I had the pork which was very tasty, husband loved the steak. What a great addition to our meal choices here in the lakes region!
C Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #18
magicrobotmonkey

Wow, thanks for all the kinds words! It's nice to see our hard work appreciated. Especially on the pork, I have to have that in the oven by 6:30 or 7:00 to have it ready for opening, I'm glad you can taste the love!
Old 03-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #19
Shedwannabe

While I enjoyed the Taste of the food, I don't think I'll be back soon. I'm vegetarian, and while they didn't use the same spoon for the meat and the vegies, or the beans, when they spooned things onto the meat, they mushed the beans into the meat with the spoon then put the spoon back in the beans. I know this makes no difference to meat eaters, but it is a good way to turn off a vegetarian....
Shedwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:32 AM   #20
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedwannabe View Post
While I enjoyed the Taste of the food, I don't think I'll be back soon. I'm vegetarian, and while they didn't use the same spoon for the meat and the vegies, or the beans, when they spooned things onto the meat, they mushed the beans into the meat with the spoon then put the spoon back in the beans. I know this makes no difference to meat eaters, but it is a good way to turn off a vegetarian....
I am not a vegetarian, but I certainly sympathize with you. I feel that way about fish. I don't want any of my food near fish/ seafood etc. I always ask at Asian restaurants if there is fish sauce in anythng I am ordering. I probably wouldn't taste it if it was in my food, but the thought of it repulses me.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #21
angela4design

Burrito ME was recommended to me by a vegetarian! She absolutely LOVES Burrito ME! Seeing the yummy-looking roasted vegetables, I nearly ordered veg myself! In particular, she felt like she had CHOICES here, which can't be said in a lot of places.

And, I wouldn't say "I won't go back". The owners are here at the forum, reading your feedback, and I'd like to think your concerns will be noted.
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #22
garysanfran

Default San Francisco Mission Style Burritos

I live 4 blocks from The Mission in San Francisco. I can't wait to try this place and make an honest comparison. So far I have been very disappointed in anything called "Mexican" food in New England.

By the way I spend a lot of time in all parts of Mexico. It is nearly impossible to get a burrito in Mexico. It is a Southeren California phenomena.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #23
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Great Place!

We stopped in today. It's as good as all of the reviews.

Nice folks too.

Name:  Burrito Me 1.jpg
Views: 3240
Size:  64.3 KB

The Big Burrito is BIG! I also like that they have a nice collection of Hot Sauces you can take to your table to add the "heat" to your own liking.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #24
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I live 4 blocks from The Mission in San Francisco. I can't wait to try this place and make an honest comparison. So far I have been very disappointed in anything called "Mexican" food in New England.

By the way I spend a lot of time in all parts of Mexico. It is nearly impossible to get a burrito in Mexico. It is a Southeren California phenomena.
Been to Mexico and find the 'real' food is very bland compare to US mexican food. You need to go into the Mexican villages and eat where the locals eat. Not at the tourist traps where food are 'Americanized'.

Los Pinatas was as close to Mexican Food as I got in NE. There was a restuarant in Keene NH that claimed real Mexican food. They weren't open long.

Cactus Jack has good 'Southwestern' food. For good 'Americanized' Mexican food, I would suggest Tortilla Flats in Merrimac, NH.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:10 AM   #25
SIKSUKR

Not being a vegetarian, I guess I wouldn't understand Shed's issue. From my point of view I can understand somebody with allegies not wanting to cross contaminate but is it really an issue when a bean spoon touches meat? I hate brussel sprouts and other items but certainly would not be offended if that brocolli spoon touched my meat.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #26
baygo

Default Food is awesome when it's fresh

Finally! We moved here from a community that had a Chipotle Mexican Grill. It was a weekly dinner date for my wife and I. I think we both miss it equally. For those of you unfamiliar with Chipotle Mexican Grill it is a large chain that has been very successful for over a decade. They sponsor the American cyclist in the tour de france and more. They have obviously done well however I think they could do even better if they took a page or to from the model that Burrito Me is operating under.

I went to Burrito Me for lunch today. I enjoyed a great steak burrito that featured wonderful fresh ingredients and a terrific value price. I consider myself a trusted authority on food. In my opinion anyone within a 10 minute drive of down town Laconia who chooses to go to Mickey Ds, Wendys, KFC, Subway, or Quizno for the fast food fix is making a big mistake. The food at Burrito Me is off the charts better and likely a lot healthier. There is no need to wish these guys luck. Their formula is obviously one that will result with success as long as they can endure the challenges associated with the industry.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #27
Dr. Green

Tried Burrito Me for lunch last week. Enjoyed the food (yum) but the wait time.... There was one person taking the orders, making the burritos and then taking off his gloves, ringing up the order, accepting payment, then putting new gloves on and starting all over. I was about 5th in line and it took around 15 minutes to get to me. I think hiring one more person (cashier, table cleaner, etc.) would allow them to sell twice as much food.
Dr. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:32 AM   #28
winni wanderer

Thumbs up Burrito Me

I had to try Burrito Me because of the pricing showed on the menu. It is by far the most fresh affordable food in the lakes area. I ordered the 2.00 taco. 2.00 Dollars!!! I chose the steak. It came with what seemed to be 5.00 dollars worth of steak, cooked perfectly!!!!! I consider myself a guacomole fan, and this is by FAR the best i have ever had!!!!!!! FRESH and chunks of avacado. Not the blender mash you get at other places. The salsa is bright, not day old grey. HOMEMADE!!! The sides are only a 1.50 !!! Extra meat is 1.00!!! We also had a couple margaritas which were awesome!!! Why would anyone stop at McDonalds or Subway with this fresh food so cheap! I had to go back the next day on my way thru...You guessed it steak taco with a side...$3.50 !! I mentioned to them about what was said on the forum about the long wait and they have accordding to him already dealt with it. They have in my opinion came up with a perfect strategy in this economy to make an affordable place to eat almost every day. I actually look foward to my drive home anticipating the stop. BURRITO ME....EAT FRESH!!! (AND CHEAP)
winni wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #29
Cristen

Default Soooo Good!

I LOVE this place. The food is very good and very fresh.

What a great new place to grab lunch or dinner in the lakes region!
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #30
luvmypups

Thumbs up Good Stuff

I just moved to Laconia from Moultonborough and being from Massachusetts I've missed not having a place to go and get a good burrito. I did visit Burrito Me the other day and had a veggie burrito with guac,pico,black beans and sour cream....it was very tasty, decent sized and a good price. I was hoping to get a margarita but as I understand they do not have their full liquor license just yet, which is no biggie but I will be very excited if they do end up serving fresh margarita's (no pre-mix). I was going to Cactus Jacks for burritos which dont get me wrong, they are delicious BUT way over priced. Burrito Me gets a thumbs up in my book Very nice people there too!!
luvmypups is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to luvmypups For This Useful Post:
Nagigator (05-07-2010)
Old 05-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #31
jetskier

Thumbs up Good food - good value

Stopped by tonight and tried the big burrito...it was BIG and a very good value (fresh ingredients and tons of food). Now if the Red Sox, Bruins and Celtics had won, it would have been a really decent night.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #32
Hermit Cover

Default Great Lunch

Another pleasant midday break at Burrito Me. The food is steady really good....I like the choice of homemade sauces...from mild to "anesthetize your taste buds"...my next trip I'm going to try all three!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 07:57 PM   #33
Shreddy

Thumbs up

I finally made it in today during lunch to try it out after all these positive reviews. I'll add mine to the list as I was impressed for sure. I'll be back...
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #34
Argie's Wife

Just got a taco salad (chicken, pico de gallo, brown rice, and pinto beans were my choices for filling) and it's very tasty! There's no iceburg lettuce (yea!), the pico de gallo is outstanding, and there's a good amount of filling.

Now, I had called in my order because I was working and had to be very quick to get it and eat before I had to be back to work. I don't recommend calling in orders... especially your first time. The burriots look k.i.l.l.e.r. and I had to restrain myself from ordering one and taking the salad home, too! The gal making the burriots was very efficient and fun to watch - you wouldn't believe the size of the burrito!

The restaurant has a cafe-feel to it - airy and sorta artsey - you know what I mean. There's indoor and outdoor seating. Nice and clean - all of it.

Kudos to the owners and best of luck! They certainly will get my repeat business!

Last edited by Argie's Wife; 02-18-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #35
magicrobotmonkey

Default One Year

Tomorrow we are celebrating our one year anniversary! It's hard to believe we've been open for a year and are still upright. We are having free chips and salsa and door prizes all day. Kids activities with piņatas and a coloring contest from 1-3. From 6pm-8pm Bill from White Birch Brewing in Hooksett is going to be doing a beer tasting! Come by and have a burrito and some good times!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to magicrobotmonkey For This Useful Post:
AllAbourdon (02-22-2011), Argie's Wife (02-18-2011), jkjoshuatree (02-19-2011)
Old 03-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #36
Argie's Wife

Thumbs up Still yummers...

Just polished off a chicken burrito and lemme tell ya... YUM!

I got it on a soft, whole-wheat tortilla, with brown rice, pinto beans, pico de gallo, etc., and was really proud of myself for making such a healthy choice for lunch...

Until I spied the "blondies"...

If you don't know what a "blondie" is, and no, it has nothing to do with Pamela Anderson, it's a brownie without cocoa powder in it, so it's about the same color as a chocolate chip cookie.

Burrito Me's blondies have chocolate chips in them, and mine was just slightly under-done... just perfect! Not too sweet, but chewey and soft. Pure sin.

My only complaint: I had to make a second stop for coffee to go with the blondie.

But it's all good!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #37
jkjoshuatree

Default Healthy AND Delicious!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Just polished off a chicken burrito and lemme tell ya... YUM!

I got it on a soft, whole-wheat tortilla, with brown rice, pinto beans, pico de gallo, etc., and was really proud of myself for making such a healthy choice for lunch...

Until I spied the "blondies"...

If you don't know what a "blondie" is, and no, it has nothing to do with Pamela Anderson, it's a brownie without cocoa powder in it, so it's about the same color as a chocolate chip cookie.

Burrito Me's blondies have chocolate chips in them, and mine was just slightly under-done... just perfect! Not too sweet, but chewey and soft. Pure sin.

My only complaint: I had to make a second stop for coffee to go with the blondie.

But it's all good!

These guys are doing it right!!! Good for them!!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #38
beaner

Not a big fan of burritos, tacos and quesadillas. But if they start serving enchiladas, we're there!
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote