Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
patman

Default The Restaurant - Wolfeboro

The ex-WHoP location has been completely renovated, and re-opened recently as "The Restaurant", complete with a gas fireplace. If you were ever there for pizza, you won't recognize the place now. They have a nice summer/beach/boating/lake themed decor.

I enjoyed the food there both times I ate there. They have standard fare (burgers, salads, etc) and some nice higher end choices (steaks, fish, chicken). They have tables in both rooms, as well as a bar in the main room. There were families there with kids, as well as people out for a 'night out on the town', and I think the atmosphere worked for either.

First trip I had a wedge salad, and a burger with fries. Both the salad and the burger were huge (and good), and the price was reasonable. I think it was $7.50 for the burger/fries and another $4.50 or so for the salad.

Second trip I had soup and the 8oz filet special. The corn chowder soup was extremely good, definitely made from scratch, and actually had a lot of personality to it. (Come to think of it, everything there seems to be made from scratch...even the fries. Everything was very fresh.) The steak was very good, although a bit on the spendy side at $24...but then again, that is about the going rate for a filet at a restaurant.

They're open for dinner, although I heard a rumor that they were also going to be open for lunches soon too...
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
jack1706

Default The Restaurant

We went there on Friday nite and really enjoyed the appetizers, dinner & the drinks... quality of food is great and Service was extra attentive !!

Good job !
Dining outside also as weather permits ...
We will go back for sure.. only been open awhile & they have it together !!
jack1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Bluebell

Default The Restaurant Reviews

I like these reviews . . . can't wait to give them a try.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
Heaven

Had a light dinner Friday night, food was good and interesting, service people appeared to be hand picked and experienced. The place was running like a top. An excellent addition to the dining choices avaiable ~
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
kechefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post
The ex-WHoP location has been completely renovated, and re-opened recently as "The Restaurant", complete with a gas fireplace. If you were ever there for pizza, you won't recognize the place now. They have a nice summer/beach/boating/lake themed decor.

I enjoyed the food there both times I ate there. They have standard fare (burgers, salads, etc) and some nice higher end choices (steaks, fish, chicken). They have tables in both rooms, as well as a bar in the main room. There were families there with kids, as well as people out for a 'night out on the town', and I think the atmosphere worked for either.

First trip I had a wedge salad, and a burger with fries. Both the salad and the burger were huge (and good), and the price was reasonable. I think it was $7.50 for the burger/fries and another $4.50 or so for the salad.

Second trip I had soup and the 8oz filet special. The corn chowder soup was extremely good, definitely made from scratch, and actually had a lot of personality to it. (Come to think of it, everything there seems to be made from scratch...even the fries. Everything was very fresh.) The steak was very good, although a bit on the spendy side at $24...but then again, that is about the going rate for a filet at a restaurant.

They're open for dinner, although I heard a rumor that they were also going to be open for lunches soon too...
Are you the Owner seems pretty ad ish
kechefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kechefs View Post
Are you the Owner seems pretty ad ish
Nope, no connection with the place at all. Just a satisfied customer...
Old 06-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
hazelnut

Whereabouts is this place?
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Whereabouts is this place?
Where the old Wolfeboro House of Pizza was located. In the Wolfeboro Marketplace next to Lydia's Cafe and Made on Earth. A short block north of the bridge on the right.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
secondcurve

Downtown Wolfeboro---Non-waterside. Set back a little bit where that old pizza place was.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
patman

I was just looking for their phone number and I discovered they have a website...or at least the start of one: http://www.therestaurant03894.com/

Nothing much there yet, but it does have the number.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:48 AM   #11
Heading4thelake

Default tried it !

Had dinner last night at " the restaurant" . Very nice place well decorated, nice people working there. My other half had curied shrimp and said it was excellent. I being a meat lover asked for the "steak of the day " and it was filet migon with lobster meat. Asked if I could order just the filet migon and they said sure. The 8oz. filet was also excellent. They do not offer bread or a salad with your dinner. It was meat , mashed potato, and brocolli. It was a very good meal. When the bill came the shrimp was I thinl 18.00 and my filet was 32.00. I asked the waitress what the filet and lobster would have cost and she said the same price. I should have taken the lobster home as someone would have eaten it there. All in all we were very pleased until the bill came. I would go back but I would only order a burger as I would then know what I was getting and how much I was paying.
Heading4thelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:32 AM   #12
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

It is good but it is expensive for the amount of food you get. I think that is the general consensus.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #13
Heaven

I haven't tried the steak and lobster, but frankly, if one is going to order fillet and lobster I'm not sure one should be crabbing about the price.

I have ordered one of the half-dozen or so specialty burgers for 8-12 bucks a plate, which come with good fries , and it is more food than one can devour. The other "lower end" meals on the menu did not seem overpriced to me.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #14
Heading4thelake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
I haven't tried the steak and lobster, but frankly, if one is going to order fillet and lobster I'm not sure one should be crabbing about the price.

I have ordered one of the half-dozen or so specialty burgers for 8-12 bucks a plate, which come with good fries , and it is more food than one can devour. The other "lower end" meals on the menu did not seem overpriced to me.
Again, I ordered the filet only and was charged the same price if I was getting both, this to me is a bit high for only 1 of the 2 as I wish the waitress had told me it was the same price , I would have brought the lobster home. Also the dessert tray that was shown to tables around us, was never even offered to our table and at that point everything was great. I had never said a word about anything and was very happy. Then the check !! She knew !
Heading4thelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #15
twoplustwo

Default the special wasn't a filet with a lobster

It was a filet with a lobster bearnaise sauce. As bearnaise sauces go, this one has some fairly massive chunks of lobster in it. But it certainly wasn't something you'd pack to take home, and other than possibly asking them to wrap your filet in bacon or maybe throwing a grilled shrimp or scallop on it, I don't know what else they could have done for you to accomodate your not wanting the lobster bearnaise sauce. An 8oz filet at any of the decent restaurants around the lake goes from $30-$36.

Having eaten that special this week, I think your server failed to properly explain it, you misunderstood her explanation, or some combination of both. I also think if price is an issue, ordering something off the menu which states "market price" means you ask before you order it.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #16
chowda

Default Love This Place

Finally something new here. Choices have been slim for a while. Very comfortable and relaxed atmosphere. I didn't think the prices were too high, not cheap either. The menu isn't too out there, but different enough to appeal to most types. I loved the scallops, and glad they switched out the johnny cakes to the polenta. Not a fan of chicken wings, but these are very crispy. Burgers and fries are amazing! I'm partial to The Contractor. Wife loves the curry shrimp (they make their own curry powder!)As with any new restaurant, still working out some kinks, but well worth a visit.
chowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #17
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Post Dining experience

Stop by for dinner Sunday. I like the atmosphere and the bar tender was prompt and friendly. I ordered the Mojito and it was terrible. To much syrup and very little ice.
I ordered the blackened pork. It was delicious but the meat was a little red for my taste. I feel pork should not be served rare at all. I didn't ask for it nor did they ask. With smashed potatoes and veggies, no rolls or bread, it is a bit steep in price.
My buddy ordered the scallops and he said it was very good. The scallop and vegetable portion was very small, and he was still hungry. He ask for a side of smashed potatoes. Again it was pricey.

The place was small and I would not reccomend a large party. Because of the price, I would not go often.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #18
BrownstoneNorth

We tried The Restaurant for the first time tonight and were very pleased with the food and the service; my husband raved about the curried shrimp and my Caesar salad with shrimp was the best I've ever had up here -- top quality Romaine lettuce, and they actually went as light as I requested on the dressing, which practically nobody does.

And a funny little aside: When fellow we knew as the manager of Garwood's stopped by our table to say hello, we asked if he was just visiting or sampling the competition; he laughed and said he's the *owner* of The Restaurant, i.e., Garwood's is the competition. We still like Garwood's, but now more for the view than the food, which in our opinion has slipped some this year -- perhaps this explains why. We rarely eat out in season at places that aren't on the water, but The Restaurant will be one of our exceptions and will share honors with the Woodshed for top off-season place.
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:30 AM   #19
twoplustwo

Default not the owner, the manager

And a funny little aside: When fellow we knew as the manager of Garwood's stopped by our table to say hello, we asked if he was just visiting or sampling the competition; he laughed and said he's the *owner* of The Restaurant, i.e., Garwood's is the competition.

Geordy Hutchinson (of Yankee Pedlar Realtors) is the owner. Rob (formerly of Garwood's) is the manager. He's one of the best restaurant managers ever to grace the region, that was a major coup snagging him. You just won't find better.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:51 AM   #20
Peter

We tried The Restaurant earlier this summer. Great experience and glad to have another choice in Wolfeboro! Tried the Elvis burger, yummy!
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #21
Barbara

I've been to The Restaurant many times since it first opened. I've never had anything but a great meal and great service. RecentlyI had lunch twice and dinner there all within three day period, the last time being dinner on Tueday, the day after Labor Day. At 7:30 we got the last available table. This was with the tourists all gone. I predict this will be the most suceesful restaurant in town through the winter months.......great food, great service, reasonable prices. What more can you want? The new general manager is a wonderful addition...... warm, welcoming and attentive.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #22
secondcurve

We had dinner at the Restaurant this past Saturday evening and it was very good. That is my new go to restaurant. The Wolfeboro Inn isn't an option any longer since service is so unpredictable or maybe a better way to say it is the service is so predictably poor at the Wolfeboro Inn.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #23
Bluebell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
We tried The Restaurant earlier this summer. Great experience and glad to have another choice in Wolfeboro! Tried the Elvis burger, yummy!
I read on another thread about the Elvis burger. I'm definitely going to give it a try. Very just like Elvis.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #24
Grady223

Had dinner there the Thursday before Labor Day - the second time we have been there. We ate outside - very nice, excellent meal, great service. Another great option in Wofeboro. That makes 5 within walking distance of the docks - Mis En Place, Downtown Grille (lunch - lobster rolls...mmmm), Garwoods, El Centenario and now the Restaurant. The new Wolfeboro Inn certainly does NOT make that list!
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #25
angela4design

Default The question...

Is anyone curious why they chose to name their establishment "The Restaurant"? Is that a Seinfeld reference, where the place they visited simply said "Restaurant" on the sign?

And, what is the Elvis Burger?
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #26
twoplustwo

Default The Elvis Burger...

...has peanut butter and bacon on it. I thought that was gross until I tried it. Oh. My. Gosh. All burgers should have peanut butter on them.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #27
winnisummergal

Default Another thumbs up

I just spoke with my parents who visited the Restaurant on Monday with some friends...party of four and all said their experience was fantastic, especially the scallops...have to put it on the list for next year's vacation.
winnisummergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:35 AM   #28
Lakepilot

We had dinner at The Restaurant last night and it was fantastic. We both had the Filet Mignon, which was as good as any we've had. The service was top notch and it everyone was friendly. They provided a little taste of a Cabernet to complement the meal which was also excellent.

A few days ago we had lunch there. We both had vegetables sauted over Penne pasta. This dish was also fantastic.

They have something for everyone and everyone's budget. For dinner they serve everything from burgers to Filets.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #29
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts
Default Nice

I will have to try this place out soon!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #30
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
...has peanut butter and bacon on it. I thought that was gross until I tried it. Oh. My. Gosh. All burgers should have peanut butter on them.
My oldest boy (8 years old) will be in love if they'd just add bananas to the sandwich. (Yes, he would eat a bacon, peanut butter, and banana burger!) (And for the record: he's one of those super-skinny little people!)
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #31
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
My oldest boy (8 years old) will be in love if they'd just add bananas to the sandwich. (Yes, he would eat a bacon, peanut butter, and banana burger!) (And for the record: he's one of those super-skinny little people!)
Put a slice of american cheese on it and I'll eat it. Get ready for a tall, opinionated, but a gentle child/adult AW. He'll be great! I ate Peanut buttter and butter and Cheese Sandwiches for a year straight, according to my mother, when i was 8 years old. I still love'um except I like the crunchy style of PB now. I was a skinny kid then too, maybe learn to love low fat PB.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #32
camp guy

Default The Restaurant - Wolfeboro

Relevant to the name: I think you will the name is officially "the Restaurant, 03894, LLC". Someone told me the State wouldn't let the name be only "the Restaurant" - too generic, so they added the Wolfeboro ZIP (03894) and the LLC to make the State happy. Remember, "if the State ain;t happy, ain't nobody happy."
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:47 PM   #33
Patiently Watching

According to Geordy, he is still the sole owner of the building, but Rob Finneron (formerly of Garwoods) has come on as a principle in the business! They are very fortunate to have Rob who brings years of management experience and excellent customer service.
Their goal has been from day one to deliver high quality food and a great atmosphere at reasonable prices. Seems like the goal has become a reality!
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #34
NoBozo

Default "The Restaurant"..Wolfeboro.

Went there last week. Had a hamburger with blue chesse and bacon. VERY Good. The service was also good. The general age of the crowd was over 50. I have no idea why it was so noisy as there were no KIDS to be seen. Probably won't go back...just because of the noise. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:24 PM   #35
Heaven

It IS noisy, but it is the noisy of people talking and having a good time. I commend Geordy for NOT having a T.V. , completely unnecessary! I like the vibrant sound of the place.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #36
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
It IS noisy, but it is the noisy of people talking and having a good time. I commend Geordy for NOT having a T.V. , completely unnecessary! I like the vibrant sound of the place.
I had lunch at The Restaurant today. It is really a nice spot and the food is excellent. Service was top notch as well. This restaurant is head and shoulders above anything else in Wolfeboro.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #37
jack1706

Thumbs up

We go to " The Restaurant " alot & I can say ever time has been excellent..

The quality of food and prep is just so good.... can't wait to go back..

The crusted chicken is delish !! pork dish is also.... always consistent food,

service & fun... ( with a waiter that entertains with singing !! ) what fun!
jack1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #38
Patiently Watching

I went to their 1st Annual Wolfeboro Town Christmas Party last night and tried some of the new menu items. The place was packed with people eating free food, mingling and enjoying themselves. They had invited a few local charities to set up display's as well and try to raise money.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #39
Frdxplorer

Ate at the Restaurant over Thanksgiving for lunch. Enjoyed it but about the only thing on their lunch menu is burgers. It's ok if that's what you want, but a little variety would also be nice.
Frdxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #40
beaner

Default Siobhan Magee, formerly of Mise en Place, now @ "The Restaurant"

Page A6 of 5/13/10 Granite State News has a brief article entitled, "New Executive Chef at The Restaurant". The article says, "Magee's talent, experience and culinary knowledge will bring new energy and flavors to The Restaurant's innovative menu." They invite everyone to an open house on Monday, May 17th from 5-8 PM. Free apps & cash bar. Deck open, weather permitting.

Not one word about her many years at Mise en Place, probably Wolfeboro's finest dining establishment. An inadvertent omission?
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #41
Heaven

Mmm, , I think it would be in poor taste to advertise that you had stolen a neighbor's talent (even if it was a good move : )
Old 05-16-2010, 02:54 AM   #42
Patiently Watching

I know all parties involved. Siobhan had been part owner of Mis En Place and as a result of major differences with her partner sold out her stake. She is now executive chef and a principle at the restaurant where she plans to stay. It was a good move for all involved. That said, wow, she is an incredibly talented chef.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #43
Grady223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patiently Watching View Post
I know all parties involved. Siobhan had been part owner of Mis En Place and as a result of major differences with her partner sold out her stake. She is now executive chef and a principle at the restaurant where she plans to stay. It was a good move for all involved. That said, wow, she is an incredibly talented chef.
When did this happen? Has she been at the Restaurant since the beginning?
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:27 AM   #44
BostonWhaler

Figured I'd add another review...

We took the fam out to "The Restaurant" for an impromptu dinner a few days ago. We were seated immediately (a weeknight, and the restaurant was about half full), and the attention to us was comprehensive throughout the meal. I had a few oysters that were good... Nothing special taste wise, but they were fresh, well presented, and I was asked if I wanted more. I also got the house crab cake dinner special, which for $15 was a great value. Lots of crab, little filler, and the whipped mashed and sauteed veggies were very tasty, without being too garlicy or salty.

My better half got the Elvis burger... An awesome idea, but all it is, is a bacon burger with a spoonful of peanut butter on top. It tasted good, but was very dry. It would be much better if the peanut butter was turned into some sort of sauce, perhaps with some cream added. The burger needed moisture of some sort.

Mom got steak tips... Well done. They were well done (ugh!) and she had the same sides as myself, which she thought were excellent. Dad got the scallops wrapped in bacon with sweet potatoes, and while the latter were a bit overdone and somewhat bland, he got a TON of scallops, and said that they were very tasty.

All in all, the food was good, but there are a few areas that the chef needs to focus on. Plating was attractive, service and attentiveness were excellent, but the food needs a bit more attention. Especially the Elvis burger... It seems that it is one of their "signature dishes", and something needs to be done to make it more palatable. A hunk of Skippy on a burger is not something special.

We'll be back, definitely... But I hope Geordy and the head chef address these minor issues.
BostonWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote