Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
Hermit Cover

Default Wolfeboro Inn.."The Laker" Food article

A very complimentary 3 page article written by Kathi-Caldwell Hopper is highlighting the Chef's Table and Chef Hoke Wilson of the Wolfeboro Inn and Wolfe's Tavern Restaurant.

It all started several years ago when forward-thinking George Soderberg, the Inn's General manager formed a "Community Advisory Group" (foodie volunteers) composed of local lake residents and frequent diners at the Inn who sat at the Chef's Table in the kitchen and sampled prospective "new" items on the menu. Prepared by Chef Hoke and his kitchen staff...we ( Mrs. Hermit Cover and I were part of that initial group) sampled many new ideas that Chef Hoke thought would add to the already great menu.
What a delight...each of the advisory group then voiced their honest opinions of each entree. Hence the genesis of the Chef's Table. By popular demand Chef and George Soderberg decided that during the off-season months they would institute a new feature to the restaurant.....Chef Hoke Wildon's Chef's Table. Available two Thursday evenings a month from November to May....serving groups of no less than 8 and no more than 12...this is a great way to enjoy and appreciate the culinary art of one of the best chefs the Lakes Region has to offer.
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hermit Cover For This Useful Post:
beagle (09-05-2013), chasedawg (09-06-2013), DRH (09-07-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
George Soderberg

Default Thank You

Dear Friends of the Forum,

It is hard to believe that 3 years have come and gone since I arrived to Wolfeboro and the Wolfeboro Inn/Wolfe's Tavern. We have accomplished much together with a great deal of your input, honesty, help and guidance bringing Wolfe's Tavern back from the brink! Last month was our most successful month on record! It is therefore with mixed emotions that I inform you that I have accepted a promotion to Vice President of Operations which includes a transfer to our "corporate" offices in Exeter, NH. While my responsibilities include overseeing the Wolfeboro Inn and Wolfe's Tavern, I will no longer work out of that location on a day to day basis. The good news is our culinary team lead by Executive Chef Hoke Wilson remains along with our front of the house management staff directed by Scott Bennett, F&B Director and Amanda Manoogian, Tavern Manager. These are the people that make it happen every day.

I am also pleased to introduce Darrin Frowery as General Manager. A veteran of 18 years in the industry and most importantly a very nice person - a solid citizen - you're really going to like him. Privately, I have introduced him to you (the forum) and explained your significance in our resurrection. He will introduce himself shortly, but give him a moment to get his sea legs its only been a couple of weeks. No question we will stay the course, continue to challenge ourselves and strive to make things - always - better and better. To that we are all committed.

I cannot thank you enough, I wish you all the best - I'll hope to see you at "the Tavern" some time. Signing off and passing the torch with warmest regards,

George

PS. If you make up to Jackson you may want to try Highfields Restaurant where recently promoted Sous Chef of Wolfe's Tavern is now Executive Chef.
George Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to George Soderberg For This Useful Post:
Aldidonato (09-30-2013), Barbara (09-29-2013), beagle (09-06-2013), BroadHopper (12-23-2013), camp guy (09-06-2013), CateP (09-09-2013), chasedawg (09-06-2013), Dog's Ear (09-09-2013), DRH (09-07-2013), Happy Gourmand (09-06-2013), Just Sold (09-07-2013), KPW (09-07-2013), Merrymeeting (09-06-2013), Overlake97 (10-02-2013), riverat (09-10-2013), RLW (09-07-2013), webmaster (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
camp guy

Default Wolfeboro Inn

Thank YOU, George, for really jumping in and returning the Inn to a status is rightfully deserves.

Whatever input you got from Forum members was only a small part of the success - you had to take the bad press and the good press and put together a Plan of recovery. You certainly did this, and we all owe you a strong round of standing applause - Here !, Here !., Thank you.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Merrymeeting

George,

We can't say we're surprised. It was clear from the time you arrived that you had the right customer service approach to be successful. It was only a matter of time before others noticed and you were ready for more responsibility.

Congrats on the promotion, and we wish you well!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
phoenix

George great news. Having run the poll on restaurants over last 8 years I saw( even before the ballots were stuff) the increase in the favorable opinion of people toward your restaurant
Old 09-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Pineedles

George,
I wish I could clone your knack of PR for my company. Of course we will welcome Darrin Frowery to our fold when he gets his "sea-legs". Glad to hear you will still be watching over this historic site with a personal stake in seeing it continue with the success you have achieved. Congratulations and good luck.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
Greene's Basin Girl

George,

You will be missed. Congratulations on your promotion. If I remember correctly your commute will be much shorter.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Thank YOU, George, for really jumping in and returning the Inn to a status is rightfully deserves.

Whatever input you got from Forum members was only a small part of the success - you had to take the bad press and the good press and put together a Plan of recovery. You certainly did this, and we all owe you a strong round of standing applause - Here !, Here !., Thank you.

Very well said and I second every word.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
CateP

Default Thank you George

Thank you George!!
And congratulations on your well-deserved promotion. We will miss you!!

As a Wolfeboro resident I am especially appreciative of the great work everyone at the tavern and inn have put into making it such a wonderful place to eat and celebrate (holidays, weddings, the lake). It has been crowded all summer and now that things are quieting down I can go back to the tavern as a regular.

George, you have been a special member of this forum and we hope you keep in touch.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (09-10-2013), RLW (09-10-2013)
Old 09-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
Barbara

Congratulation, George, on a much deserved promotion. You will be missed. I'm happy to be able to call you a friend. I'm also happy you'll be close to home now and able to spend more time with your family.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
gokart-mozart

Default I'm Concerned

First, congratulations to George on a very well-deserved promotion. He did a great job.

I've been to the Inn twice since George left. Both times, there was no hostess on duty, the waitresses doubled as hostesses and we waited a long time to be greeted.

Both times, our wait staff seemed over busy, and said so.

Hoke's food was great, as usual, but on both occasions at least one order was mixed up or wrong.

One swallow does not a summer make, as they say, but I sure hope this is not a trend.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
dfrowery

Default Getting my sea-legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart-mozart View Post
First, congratulations to George on a very well-deserved promotion. He did a great job.

I've been to the Inn twice since George left. Both times, there was no hostess on duty, the waitresses doubled as hostesses and we waited a long time to be greeted.

Both times, our wait staff seemed over busy, and said so.

Hoke's food was great, as usual, but on both occasions at least one order was mixed up or wrong.

One swallow does not a summer make, as they say, but I sure hope this is not a trend.
I truly appreciate all of the well-wishes, and it's becoming more and more evident that George was a loved member of this wonderful community. I've been here just a little over a month and have just fallen in love with the Inn, the Tavern, the area and I've had the pleasure of meeting with some of the locals...some real characters
I know that I would be doing everything that George and our F&B Team have accomplished a HUGE disservice if I did not fight just as hard to keep everything afloat and move it forward to the next level.
With the end of the season approaching we lost some really wonderful members due to school, moving, etc. The funny (fantastic) thing is, we haven't lost momentum with covers the way we have in the past years, so we are ACTIVELY looking to bring on more Tavern associates and hosts/hostesses so that your wait time is minimal.
Again, I appreciate all the well wishes and look forward to getting to know each and every one of you.
Should you need ANYTHING at all, please call my office at 569-3016 X805.

Darrin
dfrowery is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dfrowery For This Useful Post:
Barbara (10-02-2013), CateP (10-02-2013), RLW (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
RLW

Smile

dfrowery, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Congrats Darrin on coming to Wolfeboro and taking on your new assignment. You have some tough shoes to fill and the first big chore has already been done and that is to explain the big change over with personnel. Please keep the forum audience up to speed with all the new good adventures as we all loved hearing from Geo and now from you. Myself and family along with many friends have really enjoyed the Inn this past summer and will continue although the winter months to support you.
Best of luck Darrin and your staff

dfrowery (09-30-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
dfrowery

Default Oktoberfest

Come join us on October 26th for our 1st (hopefully annual) Oktoberfest here at The Wolfeboro Inn.

Time: 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Entertainment - Carolyn Ramsey Band!!!!!!!!

Games - Pumpkin Penny Toss, Beer Stein Races and a Brat Eating Contest

Menu will include authentic German cuisine (all house made by Hoke and Alijah) such as Brats with red cabbage, pork shoulder with kraut and apples, German potato salad, pretzels with beer mustard, various German desserts and breads and MUCH MUCH more.

Cost: Only $20.00/person or $35.00/couple. Two(2) beer tickets for each person.

Hope to see you there...or as they say in German, "Hoffen, euch dort zu sehen"!

Thanks,
Darrin and the entire Wolfeboro Inn & Wolfe's Tavern
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dfrowery For This Useful Post:
CateP (10-02-2013), chasedawg (10-01-2013), Hermit Cover (10-02-2013), RLW (10-01-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
SIKSUKR

Rouladen, spaetzle, and kuchen would get this german there!
Old 10-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #16
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Rouladen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Rouladen, spaetzle, and kuchen would get this german there!
I remember having 'Rouladen" at the William Tell... delicous!
ghfromaltonbay (10-02-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #17
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Went for lunch today...

My sister in law, my wife, and I went to the Inn for lunch today. Wife had the Rattlesnake Island sandwich (sliced roast turkey), sister in law had the fried shrimp sandwich served on a Chulah (sp?) bun (similar to a hamburger bun...very good) and I had the NH Artisan Chorico sandwich, served on the same bun.

Wife loved her sandwich. Sister in law said the fried shrimp sandwich was very good, but seemed to be a little spicy, but for her, not too spicy. Two thumbs up so far.

I had the Chorico sandwich, which has a Chorico (or Chorizo) sausage split and grilled, nicely spicy but not overpowering. Also had a Greek aeoli, arugula, and an over easy egg over the top of everything. It was very good, very flavorful. Big downfall to it is that it is really messy. If I got it again, and I would, I would treat it as an open-face sandwich. It is almost too messy to pick up and eat. Not a disappointment, but perhaps a suggestion. (I did cut mine in half, cutting the yolk, which really helped to make it messy ).

The three of us enjoyed our meal, and are looking forward to going back again. Very good service...thanks Brittany.
RLW (12-23-2013), surfnsnow (12-23-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #18
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
My sister in law, my wife, and I went to the Inn for lunch today. Wife had the Rattlesnake Island sandwich (sliced roast turkey), sister in law had the fried shrimp sandwich served on a Chulah (sp?) bun (similar to a hamburger bun...very good) and I had the NH Artisan Chorico sandwich, served on the same bun.

Wife loved her sandwich. Sister in law said the fried shrimp sandwich was very good, but seemed to be a little spicy, but for her, not too spicy. Two thumbs up so far.

I had the Chorico sandwich, which has a Chorico (or Chorizo) sausage split and grilled, nicely spicy but not overpowering. Also had a Greek aeoli, arugula, and an over easy egg over the top of everything. It was very good, very flavorful. Big downfall to it is that it is really messy. If I got it again, and I would, I would treat it as an open-face sandwich. It is almost too messy to pick up and eat. Not a disappointment, but perhaps a suggestion. (I did cut mine in half, cutting the yolk, which really helped to make it messy ).

The three of us enjoyed our meal, and are looking forward to going back again. Very good service...thanks Brittany.
It sounds like they have come a long way in the past year or two. I think I will give the Inn another try in 2014.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #19
dfrowery

Thank you so much for coming in and for the great review of the food. I can tell you that the culinary team here at The Tavern work awfully hard putting together their menus so that everyone who comes in has a wonderful experience.
Hoke, our Executive Chef, and Alijah, our Executive Sous Chef have put together a team that truly cares about food, who aren't afraid to experiment and who take the opinions of their food quite seriously. Our Tavern staff "gets it" and love serving all of their guests. I'll personally thank Brit when I see her next!
To All...Merry Christmas!! We look forward to serving you in 2014!!

Darrin & the entire Wolfeboro Inn Team.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dfrowery For This Useful Post:
CateP (01-02-2014), trfour (12-26-2013), upthesaukee (12-26-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #20
Cindido

Thumbs up Wolfeboro Inn

Went to the Wolfeboro Inn the other night for dinner. The four of us enjoyed our meals: the hamburger, baked haddock, sirloin tips and the ravioli. Service was excellent. Food was very good and staff was extremely friendly. Will definitely return.
Cindido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #21
dfrowery

We look forward to serving you again!
Darrin
Old 12-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #22
secondcurve

I brought my family in today for the first time in a long while. The food was very good and the service was excellent. Darrin was in the dining room and to say he he is a positive force is an understatement. It is obvious he cares about the customer. What a turnaround from the dark days of a couple years ago. I was impressed and will be back.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #23
dfrowery

Thank you for the kind words...truly unnecessary. Our entire team cares a great deal about every guest who is good enough to walk into The Tavern. It is our pleasure to take care of you and your family...EVERY TIME. Thank you All so much for allowing us to do so.
From the entire team...Happy New Year...looking forward to seeing Everyone in 2014!!!
Darrin
Old 01-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #24
CateP

Default Great Start to New Year

We had New Year's Day brunch at the Tavern and it was absolutely delicious. Chef Hoke was slicing up the incredibly tender prime rib and I had a chance to talk to him about upcoming changes. He says many ideas in the works about what a 2014 tavern menu should be and the salad bar will probably be replaced with something else. No free chef's tables planned, but they will probably be reaching out to forum members for opinions and ideas of what we might like to see on the menu.

Also note that if you join the General's Club (for free) they are going to be offering new benefits. I just received my second $50 Gift Card for my patronage.

The inn and tavern are very cozy this time of year with fireplaces going and sports on the TVs at the bar.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #25
Closetzguy

Default First time to Inn

We are new to the area and this site. My wife and I went to the tavern for the first time last Saturday night. The bar side was full so we sat in a booth in the dining room. I had the Short Rib Shepard's pie and it was excellent. My wife really enjoyed her mussel and scallop meal. Found the prices very reasonable and will certainly return with the kids.
Closetzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #26
RLW

Smile

Closetzguy, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for joining and giving your input to the Inn. It has improved 1000% of the past 18 or so months and one can see that when reading all the threads that have been posted under several different topic names.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #27
dfrowery

So glad you enjoyed your meal with us on New Year's Day. I am going to start a new topic in order to get everyone's opinion on what they'd like to see on our menu for 2014. Also, any ideas to replace the salad bar would be great.
Hoke, Alijah, Myself and the entire team here really value your opinion and hope that you will take the time to lend any ideas that will enhance your experience while dining at the Wolfe's Tavern.

Thanks, and hope to hear from you.

Darrin and the entire Wolfeboro Inn Team.