Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
Little Bear

Default Accident in Gilford?

WMUR reported a “mass casualty accident” on Rt. 11 in Gilford on their 6:00 news. The picture looked like it was by Ellacoya State Park, and they stated that the road was shut down. Anybody know what happened?
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #2
gravy boat

Default Gilford accident

Family members were coming to our camp and said Rt. 11 was closed in both directions around that time. Hope not too bad but it doesn't sound good.

That is a dangerous area even in the best weather - coming down from Scenic View people tend to come into the curve at Ellacoya too fast... add traffic entering from Ellacoya and LSP and it can be hazardous.
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gravy boat For This Useful Post:
stingray (08-29-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
kawishiwi

Default Pickup vs SUV

Head on collision between a pickup & suv.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:21 PM   #4
gravy boat

Default Accident in gilford

On Boston 25 online and video. That must have been the chopper we saw hovering in the area. One passed away, several injured. So horrible.
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:08 AM   #5
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts
Default One killed, 5 injured

From the Laconia Daily Sun:

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...ebfc1749f.html
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Not to Worry (08-29-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2018, 07:04 AM   #6
Jeanzb1

Driving home last night at 8:30 on 11 West, traffic was detoured over 11A (Cherry Valley Road.) It was pitch black and many cars simply stopped not knowing where and how to go. There should have been a police officer from Alton PD directing traffic and helping those unfamiliar with the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:22 AM   #7
Bigstan

Thats a tough area, I saw an accident two weeks ago in the same place, Cadilac vs. minivan. I see a of couple accidents every year there, right at the turnoff for Ellaycoya off of 11.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
stingray (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 09:37 AM   #8
strum

Seems that area has had waay to many accidents and more than one fatality. Maybe a better warning system as the driving conditions change, change the speed limit, i don t know.

Tragic event. My thoughts and prayers to those involved.
strum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strum For This Useful Post:
stingray (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 11:18 AM   #9
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
Thats a tough area, I saw an accident two weeks ago in the same place, Cadilac vs. minivan. I see a of couple accidents every year there, right at the turnoff for Ellaycoya off of 11.
I saw that accident too. That was on the rainy night right?
That's not where this accident was. This accident was right outside of LSP toward ellaycoya Barn and Grill.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #10
Sue Doe-Nym

Cause apparently had nothing to do with the area but rather an incapacitated driver who had been reported to be driving in a VERY erratic manner. Will we ever learn what caused the driver's behavior?
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:10 PM   #11
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Cause apparently had nothing to do with the area but rather an incapacitated driver who had been reported to be driving in a VERY erratic manner. Will we ever learn what caused the driver's behavior?
I am sure the Hospital drew blood on the truck driver.... the toxicology results should be made public at some point.

Its sad tragic accident at this point. I hope it doesn't come back that drugs/alcohol were factors.

Woodsy
Old 08-29-2018, 01:38 PM   #12
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Union Leader

From the Union Leader this afternoon.

http://www.unionleader.com/crime/bel...llege-20180829

Dave
Old 08-29-2018, 01:54 PM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Horrible, horrible story. Nothing worse than someone's poor decisions destroying others' lives.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:00 PM   #14
CUINS

Two+ weeks to go out and do it again. Should not be released and should be in jail awaiting trial. A young woman lost her life.
CUINS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CUINS For This Useful Post:
WinnisquamZ (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #15
strum

I couldn t agree more the maximum penalties seem light as well.
strum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:12 PM   #16
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
I saw that accident too. That was on the rainy night right?
That's not where this accident was. This accident was right outside of LSP toward ellaycoya Barn and Grill.
Afternoon really. Rainy weekend, not really raining at the time. IT was right at the turn on/turn off at the beach / before LSP. Minivan pulled out too far on 11 and clipped the Caddy, which went right into the guardrail.

People speed there all the time, the speed drops to 35 I believe right as you start into that turn. And if you are at Ellacoya and don't know the road turning onto 11 can be tricky.

The windy road going up to Ellacoya Barn & Grille is bad as well, especially if you speed. There have been a couple fatal accidents over the years. If you've been drinking it's an accident ready to happen....
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:07 AM   #17
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts
Default Driver was School Teacher

From the Laconia Sun:

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...b56ae91ed.html
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:01 AM   #18
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

Just terrible. Taking the life of a 20 years old over an extremely bad decision. Should never happen in this day and age. They are plenty of ways to get home if you have indulged too much. Thoughts and prayers to the families.

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Lakemamma (08-31-2018)
Old 05-08-2019, 12:28 AM   #19
amcmayer1978

Here's the latest on this story:

Belmont man charged in fatal DWI crash plans to plead guilty

Jeffrey Nadrich

Last edited by amcmayer1978; 09-18-2019 at 04:40 PM.
amcmayer1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #20
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

It seems that the settlement has the potential to be extremely light considering there was a fatality.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #21
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcmayer1978 View Post
WELCOME to the Forum.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #22
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
It seems that the settlement has the potential to be extremely light considering there was a fatality.
Yes, someone died, but the drunk who killed the person didn't intend to kill, he was simply ... drunk.

What would you prefer: "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth?"

We're a civilized society.

I'm sure the judge will follow the appropriate sentencing guidelines.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:57 AM   #23
The Real BigGuy

Mr V - Does a drunk who fires a gun down the middle of a crowded sidewalk and kills someone get the same treatment? Probably not. I have trouble seeing the difference between the two.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:07 AM   #24
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Yes, someone died, but the drunk who killed the person didn't intend to kill, he was simply ... drunk.

What would you prefer: "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth?"

We're a civilized society.

I'm sure the judge will follow the appropriate sentencing guidelines.
What if it were your son or daughter? I know if it was one of my boys, I would want an eye for an eye. There are two components to our criminal justice system. The first is to punish and rehabilitate criminals for the crimes they commit. The second is to provide justice to victims of criminal behavior. We focus too often on the first and not on the second.
Major is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (05-09-2019), Hillcountry (05-09-2019), mhtranger (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #25
ishoot308

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,906 Posts

DWI resulting in negligent homicide would be the proper charge in my opinion.... Probably get sentenced 10 years, out in 5-6 on good behavior if I had to guess. Fair??...maybe, but if it was my wife, son or daughter nothing would bring me justice...

Dan
Hillcountry (05-09-2019), upthesaukee (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #26
Mr. V

Sentencing is always a thorny issue: the family of the victims rarely believe that enough punishment has been administered, whereas the defendant's family usually feel the sentence is too harsh.

In developing sentencing guidelines the powers that be have given us a system which is designed to be fair, to take all factors into consideration and yield a result which is likely to yield the greatest benefit to society.

I've no desire to coddle drunks, but the law draws a distinction between the culpability of someone who drives drunk and kills someone vs. a sober, premeditated murderer who kills intentionally.

The thinking probably goes something like this: "A drunk can become sober and become a good, law-abiding citizen, whereas a cold-blooded murderer will likely never become a positive asset to society."

Were my child a victim of a drunk driver I'd be devastated and howl for retribution: that would only be natural.

It is up to the judges to balance things out and make the hard calls.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:27 AM   #27
jbolty

Quote:
Sentencing is always a thorny issue: the family of the victims rarely believe that enough punishment has been administered, whereas the defendant's family usually feel the sentence is too harsh.

In developing sentencing guidelines the powers that be have given us a system which is designed to be fair, to take all factors into consideration and yield a result which is likely to yield the greatest benefit to society.

I've no desire to coddle drunks, but the law draws a distinction between the culpability of someone who drives drunk and kills someone vs. a sober, premeditated murderer who kills intentionally.

The thinking probably goes something like this: "A drunk can become sober and become a good, law-abiding citizen, whereas a cold-blooded murderer will likely never become a positive asset to society."

Were my child a victim of a drunk driver I'd be devastated and howl for retribution: that would only be natural.

The problem with that is the repeat offenders who plead guilty to a lesser charge and the prosecutors let them do it time and again because it's easier to take a deal on reckless driving than go to trial for the dui. Of course this hold true for all offenses, not just drunk driving. How many times do you see a case where some drunk wipes out a family and it turns out they have 15 prior arrests and should have been locked up for good.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #28
jeffk

Quote:

I don't think being drunk should enter into the sentencing at all. I think it is a grave mistake to allow choosing to be drunk to be any type of excuse for bad actions.

Did you hit your wife?
Yes, but I was drunk.
Oh, OK we feel sorry for you so you get a lesser sentence.
NOT good.

When someone kills somebody there is always a question of intent. Was it intentional/premeditated? Was it an accident? Was it negligence?

Since it is illegal to drive under the influence, I would think that would show negligence, negligent homicide. There are sentencing guidelines for that crime. Maybe this is a first serious offence so a lesser time is justified. Maybe the weather was bad and a contributing factor so that should be considered.

The only point to deal with being drunk is as an addendum to the sentence. While incarcerated you will be required to attend alcohol addiction counseling.
jeffk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:19 AM   #29
ApS

Arrow Revoked Means What, Again?

Quote:

1) The judge at the trial of Ted Bundy sentenced him to death. He then went on to say:

Quote:
"Take care of yourself, young man. I say that to you sincerely; take care of yourself. It is an utter tragedy for this court to see such a total waste of humanity, I think, as I’ve experienced in this courtroom.

"You’re a bright young man. You’d have made a good lawyer and I would have loved to have you practice in front of me, but you went another way, partner. I don’t feel any animosity toward you. I want you to know that. Take care of yourself."
 Judge Edward Cowart[1]
2) One of the lake's infamous deadly drunkards was sentenced to one year in prison, spending nights (only) in a prison bed.

3) Too often, I see sentences for drunk New Hampshire drivers with the wording "His/Her fourth conviction".

4) Too often, deadly drunks have their license revoked—so they leave the courtroom—and drive themselves home.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote