Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts
Default First Time Boating Ages

I also posted this on the Facebook page:

Opinions and experiences wanted: 1. At what age would you let you child/did you start kayak(ing) on your own (or with other kids)? 2. What age for a first motorboat (small outboard skiff, etc.) Our place is in a cove in the north with a lot of no-wake areas. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:42 AM   #2
anticd70

My son is currently 2, I feel when he is 12 would be able to handle that level of responsibility. My parents let me start flying planes at 14...I still don't know what they were thinking
anticd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to anticd70 For This Useful Post:
noreast (12-12-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 10:47 AM   #3
radioman

Default First time Boating

When and until the child becomes a confident and accomplished swimmer.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
MeredithMan

Default I was 12...

....however, I grew up around boats from toddler age. Was buzzing around our area of the lake at 12 in a 12' rowboat with a 4 HP Johnson, (as in outboard motor...)

My son has been kayaking on the lake on his own since he was about 13--he's now 17--(always with a PFD on, and he is swim-team caliber swimmer). Although he has his boating certificate and drives our boat when I'm in it, I'm not ready to let him take it out on his own!
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:57 AM   #5
radioman

Default First Time Boating

I failed to mention the fact I had a row boat with a 1.5 hp Evenrude at age 8. Prior to that, I did a lot of rowing. My mother had taught me how to swim at age 3.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #6
jetlag100

Our Dad always let us steer the boat since I could ever remember, but when I got to take out a boat one my own I was 14...grew up on the lake, was always in a boat, but had to know how to swim first...the swimming part was a no brainer. He knew when we (5 of us) were ready...had to know the rules of boating..I can't tell you how grateful I am that it all happened naturally...I've never forgotten the where, when's and how's! Still boating up the "big lake", after all these years! Be stern, and kind, and make sure your kid knows when he messed up, and they'll do great!
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Island boaters

For me, swim and age 7-8 for a rowboat. 12 for a powerboat under 25 hp. Same for my kids. They each had their own OB boat at 12 and could use it independently.
We have 5 kayaks. Grandchildren have their own but do not go out independently. Ages 5 & 7.
Do islanders have more boats and start being independent a lot earlier than mainlanders? Probably.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #8
kawishiwi

Default 13 for me

I was a pest at 13 always asking an adult to go out fishing on a sheltered cape cod bay when I got a lesson on rowing the 14 aluminum one day, a lesson on anchoring the next, a lesson on starting the 10 hp and driving the next day, then the next day I asked to be taken out I got "Ok, I can't go, but you be home for dinner".

I went out almost a mile, (stll in the bay) anchored, caught a few flounder, coming back had the motor conk out about 400 yds out and rowed myself back.

One of the greatest days of my life.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kawishiwi For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (12-12-2016), KennyFromBoston (12-11-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 08:20 AM   #9
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts
Default 12

I got my first summer job when I was 12 making a whopping $1.25 per hour. A neighbor had a 14' Glastron with a 40 HP Johnson motor for sale for $750. My dad said he'd help me buy it if I saved half the amount. Working 40+ hours per week, we purchased the boat near the end of the summer. I was lucky, my dad gave me a lot of responsibility, so long as I didn't abuse it.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:42 AM   #10
winni83

My kids began using a 13 foot Whaler with a 20 HP engine at around 12. At first just using it so we could see them from the house, then gradually over that summer, going further out in the Lake. Both kids were pretty good boat handlers and knew the rules. Boat came with 2 fuel tanks. I took one out to limit their range. Found out years later that my son figured out that for a few bucks and some oil, he could extend his range by stopping at a marina for gas. Still have the Whaler, replaced the engine with a 25 HP four stroke and now grandchildren are enjoying it. Last year, I heard one of my grandchildren ask her Mom, “How old were you when you got to take the Whaler out by yourself?”. My daughter tried to claim that she could not recall. I jogged her memory. So I would say 12 is about right. It is easier these days with cell phones in the event there are any issues when they are out.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:59 PM   #11
ursa minor

Well, like the stories many on here are relating this was a "while" ago... My parent's place is in a pretty sheltered area, they started me off at age 6 with a 10 foot plywood rowboat with oars and about 100 feet of rope tied to a tree. (Always with a life jacket as well.) The theory on the rope was if I dropped the oars they could pull me in. I got the hang of rowing pretty quickly and the rope went away. After that it was "stay where I can see you" for a while. My Mom made sure both myself and my sister had swimming lessons at the "Y" early on too.

At some point my Dad came up with a 2 1/2 HP Johnson from the late 1940's/early 50's era and got it running. It wasn't fast but I learned a lot about starting and running small engines from it. Pretty sure it's still around somewhere and would probably run even now.

From around age 10 or so, I'd drive the "big" boat a little bit here and there while my Dad supervised. It got to the point that I'd end up driving down to Wolfeboro if we took a family trip.

Fast forward a few years, my Dad bought an older 14 foot runabout (I think it was a Chrysler) that had a nearly new 50 HP Mercury on it (mid 70's). I think I must have been around 13. I helped fix it up and my job was to maintain it / paint the bottom, etc. every year and keep it clean. In return, I got to use it and the gas tanks were always magically refilled. We had a lot of fun and I learned a lot about boat handling, reading the weather, etc. Never got grounded either, somewhat shockingly! I was always popular with my summer island buddies for some reason... I think it would do about 35 if they sat in the back on the floor. Didn't know how good we had it!

One recommendation if it's possible is to try to teach the kids to sail. In my opinion it really helps with overall awareness of the weather, your surroundings and it builds a lot of seamanship skills by pure necessity. Scared myself stupid more than once on a sunfish when I was a kid but learned a lot in the process. Good luck!
ApS (12-13-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #12
Just Sold

I started out with an oak row boat in 1960 at age 10 and my dad added a 1 cyl Champion OB a year later. . Then in 1962/3 my Dad bought me a (61) 9' Starcraft jon boat with a 1960 3 hp Evinrude. I still have the boat and motor stored at my brothers house. Have not run the motor since the early 80's. I started using the family boat when I was 14. 1959 19' Lyman w/109hp Grey Marine 6 cyl.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 04:56 AM   #13
ApS

Red face Apoplexy Magazine Cover...

I had a one-cylinder Champion 4.2 outboard. Gotta watch that spark plug when reversing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
I failed to mention the fact I had a row boat with a 1.5 hp Evinrude at age 8. Prior to that, I did a lot of rowing. My mother had taught me how to swim at age 3.
Bilge pump—check
Fender—check
One oar—check
Seat Cushions—check

thinkxingu (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 10:34 AM   #14
persistence

Well on his way to earning his 3rd Stripe....he just turned 2.

My parents had a boat before me. I grew up loving it. Had a 13' Whaler at 12, which is in the garage now awaiting a cleanup for him. We also belong to a local boat club where I grew up swimming and sailing which turned into racing.

Name:  FullSizeRendersteering.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  34.4 KB
persistence is offline   Reply With Quote