Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2019, 06:16 PM   #101
Slickcraft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Welch Island and West Alton
Posts: 2,548
Thanks: 808
Thanked 1,394 Times in 643 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
Enjoyed reading your calculations. My guess of 11:22am on 4/22 still stands a chance too. Hope your Firstmate was able to make the trip with you.

Yes she made the trip; she would not miss it.
Slickcraft is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #102
welch-time
Senior Member
 
welch-time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Welch Island
Posts: 82
Thanks: 2
Thanked 46 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Over the past 20 years official ice out is 3 to 5 days after our 1st trip to Welch.


As we could have got out yesterday rather than waaaaaiting all the way to today, for this year that would be the 2oth to the 22nd. My pick of the 21st is still in the running
Hey, when you get there, can you go and fix my downed phone cable so I can see whats going on?
(just kidding, we should be there in 2 weeks)
welch-time is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 08:09 PM   #103
Slickcraft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Welch Island and West Alton
Posts: 2,548
Thanks: 808
Thanked 1,394 Times in 643 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by welch-time View Post
Hey, when you get there, can you go and fix my downed phone cable so I can see whats going on?
(just kidding, we should be there in 2 weeks)
We were there today and our DSL is working. Will be back by Monday but I just can't recall where I left my pole climbing boots, spikes, tether belt and tool bag
Slickcraft is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
welch-time (04-18-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 07:45 AM   #104
CoastalWx
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalWx View Post
I think it should be mostly gone in 2 weeks or less.
Yep. Any day now.
CoastalWx is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to CoastalWx For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #105
rsmlp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 368
Thanks: 5
Thanked 105 Times in 53 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Ok .... as seen ten minutes ago, from the Shep Brown boat launch, the lake there is all clogged up with gray, yucky ice from Sheps out to Bear Island, in both directions.

As seen from the Y-Landing docks, viewed from Pine Island to Bear Island, and from Pine Island north toward Centre Harbor, is all clogged up with gray ice.

From the Y-Landing docks to Pine Island and to the nearby island with the large A-frame house, is all open water.

And from Rock Island, the ice line has moved south getting to just about one hundred yards north of Cattle Landing.

Meanwhile, in the last ten minutes , the wind has noticeably picked up, and today's weather indicates more windy breezes, so that could do impact on all this gray slushy ice.

After going slushy, ice loses its' buoyancy and sinks before it totally melts, so it's a combination of melting, absorbing water, going slushy, and sinking while going from winter white to yucky gray. The strong elastic winter white ice, made during the deep freeze, expands to 110% of its' liquid volume, which is why this ice will float on the surface. As it melts and mixes with water, it reaches a condition where it will no longer remain buoyant, and it sinks.
So my soon to be son-in-lawn has coined the term "Lescar-fact". Since our last name is Lescarbeau, a Lescar-fact is a False Fact said with such aplomb and confidence that anyone who didn't know any better would be convinced of its veracity when in fact it is spurious. It is a false fact! I am famous for them.

While I am admittedly unsure, this strikes me as a Lescar-fact!
rsmlp is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
Descant (04-21-2019), FlyingScot (04-19-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #106
Pine Island Guy
Senior Member
 
Pine Island Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: pine island of course!
Posts: 367
Thanks: 172
Thanked 200 Times in 92 Posts
Default first trip out by boat

Made it to Pine Island from Y-Landing on Wednesday. Clear water in the channel and then pushed through the ice on the south side of the island around to the east... slow going!

with a little wind, it won't be more than a few days now till full ice out!! -PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Pine Island Guy For This Useful Post:
MAXUM (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 10:16 AM   #107
Mink Islander
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Norwell, MA
Posts: 648
Thanks: 39
Thanked 205 Times in 94 Posts
Default Foggy Friday

Fog eats ice though....
Attached Images
 
Mink Islander is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #108
8gv
Senior Member
 
8gv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,138
Thanks: 23
Thanked 333 Times in 206 Posts
Default

At the risk of being "that guy", I believe that the fog may be a result of the ice going away, not the cause of it.

Can someone set me straight on this belief?
8gv is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (04-20-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #109
DickR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 532
Thanks: 0
Thanked 158 Times in 99 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
At the risk of being "that guy", I believe that the fog may be a result of the ice going away, not the cause of it.

Can someone set me straight on this belief?
It's both. The fog forms close to the ice because the layer of air there is cooled below the dew point of the bulk air mass over us, which (for Moultonborough at 6:19pm) is 60 F. But the moisture in that somewhat humid air also is condensing at the ice surface, giving it about 1000 BTU/lb of moisture condensed. Compare that to about 143 BTU/lb of ice melted, and you have close to seven pounds of ice melted per pound of moisture condensed out of the air. Think of the ice as being a dehumidifier for the air. You wouldn't notice the fog if there were any wind, as that would keep the air layers mixed, but the rate of melting would be even higher. The mixing would bring the energy in the warmer, somewhat humid air to the ice surface faster.
DickR is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
8gv (04-19-2019), BoatHouse (04-20-2019), Descant (04-21-2019), FlyingScot (04-19-2019), LakesLady (04-22-2019), Resident 2B (04-19-2019), Slickcraft (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 08:48 PM   #110
WINNI BOB
Member
 
WINNI BOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Somerville, ma / Laconia, nh
Posts: 21
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Default Ice will be gone tomorrow

HI folks;

I decided to do a little fishing today 4/19/19, friday, My tritoon was already in the water at Thurstons Marine in the Weirs channel. I decided to motor up the channel and fish in front of the Weirs Beach area. There was a lot of dark , mushy ice, and it pretty much was blocking the channel . But, as the day wore on...2:00 pm and the temp quickly rose to near 65 degrees, and the wind kicked in soon afterwards....the ice started moving north towards Governors Island and Spindle Point(the north shoreline) ..the entire Weirs bay area opened right up. I had a great day, and by 6:00 pm I connected with my first salmon of the year, a nice 18" salmon.

I could see the inside of Governers Island was completely open.

I'm predicting that ice-out will occur by the end of the day tomorrow.

WINNI BOB
WINNI BOB is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WINNI BOB For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (04-20-2019), Top-Water (04-20-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 09:08 PM   #111
WINNI BOB
Member
 
WINNI BOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Somerville, ma / Laconia, nh
Posts: 21
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Default Ice will be gone tomorrow

The entire Weirs Beach area opened up late today. I caught my first salmon at 6:30 pm right in front of the Weirs Beach area. I could see open water all the way through the inside of Governors Island.

Whoppee !!!!


WINNI BOB
WINNI BOB is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to WINNI BOB For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (04-21-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 10:13 PM   #112
8gv
Senior Member
 
8gv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,138
Thanks: 23
Thanked 333 Times in 206 Posts
Default

Riddle me this Batman...

As I understand it, ice out is declared by pilot Emerson who flies his plane over the lake to verify it is safe for the Mount Washington to make all of its stops.

But...

What if the weather conditions preclude safe flight and he has to wait a few days to go look? For instance, if the weather delayed the flight until Monday, say at 3pm, that could happen right?

Asking for a friend...
8gv is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 05:51 AM   #113
Seaplane Pilot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 881
Thanks: 313
Thanked 493 Times in 188 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Riddle me this Batman...

As I understand it, ice out is declared by pilot Emerson who flies his plane over the lake to verify it is safe for the Mount Washington to make all of its stops.

But...

What if the weather conditions preclude safe flight and he has to wait a few days to go look? For instance, if the weather delayed the flight until Monday, say at 3pm, that could happen right?

Asking for a friend...
It will be ruled as “Obstruction of Ice Out” by Special Counsel. Emerson will be impeached for collusion with the ice gods...
Seaplane Pilot is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (04-20-2019), pondguy (04-20-2019), tis (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 05:58 AM   #114
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,434
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 196
Thanked 501 Times in 374 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Contrary to what many believe... Lake ice does not sink.
From observing large areas of gray slushy ice disappear into the water, all at once, it seems to me the slush is both melting, losing buoyancy, and sinking, all at the same time.

Too big of an area of slush will disappear into the water, all at once, for it to be just melting, which leads me to think that the slush also sinks.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 06:58 AM   #115
jeffk
Senior Member
 
jeffk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Center Harbor
Posts: 854
Thanks: 142
Thanked 222 Times in 133 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
It will be ruled as “Obstruction of Ice Out” by Special Counsel. Emerson will be impeached for collusion with the ice gods...
Au contraire. Since Emerson is Chief Ice Out Executive, we will simply have ice out declared in July and there will be no consequences. All the people who had ice out guesses will grumble and chip in to buy him a new plane that can fly in all types of weather.
jeffk is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 08:45 AM   #116
Sundancer320
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 33
Thanks: 4
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Anyone have eyes on 19 mile bay recently?
Sundancer320 is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 08:54 AM   #117
The Real BigGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 569
Thanks: 17
Thanked 161 Times in 102 Posts
Default

Why do people think I’ve sinks? My recollection from chemistry/physics is that ice is less dense than water an therefore always floats on/in water. Even if it is saturated (in holes, crevices, etc) with the water that surrounds it will still be more buoyant.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #118
Kerk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 77
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Friday noon time 19

19 mile was dark gray with a lot of open water around the shore. I would not be surprised to see it gone ANYTIME SOON. There is a Pontoon boat in at 19 Mile bay. Every where it looked real dark and ready to go out. Wolfboro etc. Just my opinion. kerk
Kerk is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 10:20 AM   #119
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,434
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 196
Thanked 501 Times in 374 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Why do people think I’ve sinks? My recollection from chemistry/physics is that ice is less dense than water an therefore always floats on/in water. Even if it is saturated (in holes, crevices, etc) with the water that surrounds it will still be more buoyant.[/url]
As the ice softens through the processes of melting and sublimation, it becomes slush, which is ice saturated with water, and along the cycle back to all water, it becomes a little heavier than water, and will slowly sink.

On a sunny day, from the shore, one can stand there, and watch the glistening slush as it slowly descends downward into the depths. The slush loses its' buoyancy and very slowly sinks.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
Lakegirl24 (04-21-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 10:35 AM   #120
BoatHouse
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 48
Thanks: 60
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Wolfeboro bay is “slushed” in, but there appears to be open water before the point and out toward Barndoor.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
BoatHouse is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #121
Top-Water
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Derry-Belmont
Posts: 695
Thanks: 432
Thanked 271 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
which leads me to think


Ice floats on a lake's surface until it is melted. Although it sometimes floats low in the water, it does not sink to the bottom, as some mistakenly believe.


Water is heaviest at 39 degrees, lighter at higher or lower temperatures. Falling air temperatures in autumn and lower sun angles, in conjunction with wind and wave action, result in the lowering of lake temperatures. Because the cooler water is heavier, it will sink, displacing and forcing warmer water to the surface. This continues until the entire lake reaches a temperature of about 39 degrees.

Following this, surface temperatures will fall below 39 degrees and the cooler and lighter water will remain at the surface. As the surface water cools further, it will eventually change into ice.

Because the ice is colder and less dense than the water below it, it floats. In the spring, the reverse occurs. Rising air temperature and higher sun angles cause melting to begin on top of the ice layer.

If there are no cracks or fissures, the melting water will accumulate on top of the ice. If this happens over an entire lake (which is unlikely) or over parts of the lake, one might get the impression that the ice is sinking. But it isn't.


Further warming will cause the ice to become rotted or honeycombed, with water and air filling the void. The dark color of ice in late winter is because of this honeycombing. As the honeycombing process continues, the ice mass floats lower and lower in the water until it is completely melted, but it never sinks to the bottom.

One of the wonders of the planet earth and floating ice, without it the planet would more likely be dead.

Last edited by Top-Water; 04-20-2019 at 12:06 PM. Reason: underline
Top-Water is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #122
Top-Water
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Derry-Belmont
Posts: 695
Thanks: 432
Thanked 271 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Why do people think I’ve sinks? My recollection from chemistry/physics is that ice is less dense than water an therefore always floats on/in water.
You are correct It always always always always always floats.
Top-Water is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #123
Top-Water
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Derry-Belmont
Posts: 695
Thanks: 432
Thanked 271 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNI BOB View Post
HI folks;

I decided to do a little fishing today 4/19/19,
I hope a meteorite hits your boat today............... Very jealous

Good luck / congratulations on your first fish.
Top-Water is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 01:34 PM   #124
chaseisland
Senior Member
 
chaseisland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Concord, NH
Posts: 97
Thanks: 3
Thanked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Default Sunk

When swimming I always wondered why the water was colder deeper down. It's all that sunken slushy ice. And I'll see the Easter bunny tomorrow.
chaseisland is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to chaseisland For This Useful Post:
Nagigator (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #125
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,853
Thanks: 533
Thanked 355 Times in 245 Posts
Default

My mind is going slushy reading this thread!
Biggd is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 01:53 PM   #126
The Real BigGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 569
Thanks: 17
Thanked 161 Times in 102 Posts
Default

FLL fresh water is never more dense than fresh water. As long as the “slush” (water & ice) contains ice, again which is less dense than water it will float, not sink. And by the way sublimation is the transition from a solid directly to a gas. Fresh water ice doesn’t do that, it melts to water.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #127
chaseisland
Senior Member
 
chaseisland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Concord, NH
Posts: 97
Thanks: 3
Thanked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Default sublimation

Hate to be disagreeable, but a small amount of ice will sublime to vapor and become incorporated into the atmosphere. When the conditions are right the sublimed water vapor will condense and become fog (which then eats more ice).
chaseisland is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 02:22 PM   #128
jethro
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

That's it, I'm going trolling tomorrow no matter if I hear from Emerson or not!

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk
jethro is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #129
webmaster
Moderator
 
webmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,172
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 319
Thanked 2,745 Times in 647 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNI BOB View Post
I decided to do a little fishing today 4/19/19, friday, My tritoon was already in the water at Thurstons Marine in the Weirs channel. I decided to motor up the channel and fish in front of the Weirs Beach area.
Was that you?:
Attached Images
 
webmaster is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
WINNI BOB (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #130
Bear Islander
Senior Member
 
Bear Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bear Island
Posts: 1,685
Thanks: 23
Thanked 363 Times in 170 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
As the ice softens through the processes of melting and sublimation, it becomes slush, which is ice saturated with water, and along the cycle back to all water, it becomes a little heavier than water, and will slowly sink.

On a sunny day, from the shore, one can stand there, and watch the glistening slush as it slowly descends downward into the depths. The slush loses its' buoyancy and very slowly sinks.
Science is based on facts that are not open to opinion. Admittedly there are scientific questions that have yet to be answered. Like how to measure quantum mechanics? Do parallel universes exist? However the science behind ice floating is not an open question.

Try a simple internet search.
Bear Islander is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (04-21-2019), Top-Water (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #131
Top-Water
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Derry-Belmont
Posts: 695
Thanks: 432
Thanked 271 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Science is based on facts that are not open to opinion. Admittedly there are scientific questions that have yet to be answered. Like how to measure quantum mechanics? Do parallel universes exist? However the science behind ice floating is not an open question.

Try a simple internet search.
Double thanks .......... As you correctly stated "Science is based on facts that are not open to opinion."
Top-Water is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
Blyblvrd (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #132
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,147
Thanks: 191
Thanked 1,374 Times in 554 Posts
Default

So what do you call an "opinionated" scientist?
MAXUM is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #133
DickR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 532
Thanks: 0
Thanked 158 Times in 99 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseisland View Post
Hate to be disagreeable, but a small amount of ice will sublime to vapor and become incorporated into the atmosphere. When the conditions are right the sublimed water vapor will condense and become fog (which then eats more ice).
Further to this, ice does indeed sublime, even if well below the melting point, because it, too, exerts vapor pressure into the space above it. Visible proof if this is when driving in cold weather; if there is any thin film of ice on the windshield (from whatever source), driving along in that cold, dry air results in that ice evaporating to nothing.

The situation of ice melting in water is unique in that 32 F is the "triple point" of water, at which you can have water, ice floating in it, and a water vapor space above it (very cold steam, at that very low pressure), all in thermal equilibrium. Also, as part of that definition, the vapor pressure exerted by ice (0.08854 psi) is the same as the pressure exerted by liquid water. However, by enthalpy balance, the heat of sublimation (energy absorbed going from solid ice to vapor is the total of heat of fusion (143 BTU/lb) plus heat of vaporization (1075.8). Any ice that sublimes or water that evaporates into the air above it absorbs the heat it needs to do so mostly from the water and partly from the air in contact with the surface (that theoretically would cause some water to refreeze if done slowly). Condensing that water vapor back onto the water/ice surface would just return the energy absorbed by turning into vapor, so it's mostly a wash (I guess that's a pun, too).
DickR is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
chaseisland (04-20-2019), gillygirl (04-20-2019), moose tracks (04-21-2019), The Real BigGuy (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #134
Mink Islander
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Norwell, MA
Posts: 648
Thanks: 39
Thanked 205 Times in 94 Posts
Default Curious....

When do discussions of lake ice melting move from the sublime to the ridiculous? Asking for a friend. Lol.

Love the science talk but couldn’t resist....
Mink Islander is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #135
Top-Water
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Derry-Belmont
Posts: 695
Thanks: 432
Thanked 271 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
So what do you call an "opinionated" scientist?
In a one word answer?
Top-Water is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 06:01 PM   #136
WINNI BOB
Member
 
WINNI BOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Somerville, ma / Laconia, nh
Posts: 21
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Thumbs up First day on the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Was that you?:
Yep ! That's me (WINNI BOB) got a nice Salmon right there.
WINNI BOB is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to WINNI BOB For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (04-21-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 06:06 PM   #137
Lakegeezer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Moultonboro, NH
Posts: 1,492
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 281
Thanked 467 Times in 208 Posts
Default Ice flow

The ice is moving quickly to the north this afternoon. Ice crinkles as it hits rocks and is building up on some. Fog is blowing off the gray ice, at times obscuring visibility. A neighbor put their dock in today. Hopefully it will survive the momentum of the ice flows.
__________________
-lg
Lakegeezer is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 06:14 PM   #138
Island Girl
Senior Member
 
Island Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Central MA
Posts: 2,335
Thanks: 16
Thanked 508 Times in 172 Posts
Talking Science is fun, but back to ice out

I have enjoyed the science of ice. It’s going to take awhile for it all to sink in....so to speak.

In the meantime my boat is in the water and Minge Cove is ice free, including the channel. Wahoo!!!

IG
__________________
Island Girl

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Island Girl For This Useful Post:
Blue Thunder (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #139
Bear Islander
Senior Member
 
Bear Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bear Island
Posts: 1,685
Thanks: 23
Thanked 363 Times in 170 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
So what do you call an "opinionated" scientist?
A Climate Change denier.
Bear Islander is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 09:30 PM   #140
rscalzo
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Science is based on facts that are not open to opinion. Admittedly there are scientific questions that have yet to be answered.
Like the question that has baffled man for eons.....

rscalzo is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 07:57 AM   #141
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 1,503
Thanks: 230
Thanked 844 Times in 348 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
A Climate Change denier.
Unless of course you read this article:

The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from the Consulate at Bergen, Norway.

Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard of temperatures in the Arctic zone.

Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.

Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm

Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds.

Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coast cities uninhabitable.



I must apologize. I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2 , 1922, as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post 96 years ago. This must have been caused by the Model T Ford's emissions or possibly from horse and cattle flatulence.
TiltonBB is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Lakegirl24 (04-21-2019), Rob M (04-21-2019), swnoel (04-22-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #142
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,664
Thanks: 461
Thanked 825 Times in 574 Posts
Default

Wow, that's a good one. I must admit you had me till the last!! Sounds so familiar!!
tis is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 09:05 AM   #143
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,155
Thanks: 447
Thanked 543 Times in 367 Posts
Default

Had me also. Article is is available online?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 09:33 AM   #144
Cobalt 25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 169
Thanks: 148
Thanked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Yes, I would like to see the source of the information from 1922.
Cobalt 25 is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #145
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,155
Thanks: 447
Thanked 543 Times in 367 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 View Post
Yes, I would like to see the source of the information from 1922.


It’s says Consulate of Bergen, Norway and printed in the Washington Post November 2, 1922


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #146
Merrymeeting
Senior Member
 
Merrymeeting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Merrymeeting Lake, New Durham
Posts: 2,005
Thanks: 245
Thanked 687 Times in 301 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
It’s says Consulate of Bergen, Norway and printed in the Washington Post November 2, 1922


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Yes, but the question is, was it? Until someone can post a link to the actual article, it isn't fact.
Merrymeeting is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #147
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,147
Thanks: 191
Thanked 1,374 Times in 554 Posts
Default

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/warm-welcome/

https://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpr..._wx_review.png
MAXUM is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Merrymeeting (04-21-2019), Rob M (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 11:22 AM   #148
8gv
Senior Member
 
8gv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,138
Thanks: 23
Thanked 333 Times in 206 Posts
Default

So we are still on track for 4/22 at 3pm then.

I shall prepare my acceptance speech.
8gv is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 11:22 AM   #149
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 546
Thanks: 291
Thanked 150 Times in 95 Posts
Default

It's kind of silly to suggest that because somebody may have been wrong a hundred years ago that the entire scientific community is wrong today. And it's ironic to use a fact check site that may show one article in favor of climate change denial when that same site likely shows about a thousand (a million?) other references that support climate change
FlyingScot is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 11:33 AM   #150
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,155
Thanks: 447
Thanked 543 Times in 367 Posts
Default "Official" Ice Out Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Yes, but the question is, was it? Until someone can post a link to the actual article, it isn't fact.


You have got to be kidding !!! They gave publication date and source. Just look it up if you doubt it.

It wasn’t some meme picture someone posted

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #151
steve-on-mark
Senior Member
 
steve-on-mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Epping, NH / Mark Island
Posts: 247
Thanks: 4
Thanked 92 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
So we are still on track for 4/22 at 3pm then.

I shall prepare my acceptance speech.
I predicted an earlier ice out this year...so much for that. All I can hope for now is to win the Two Barns " name the beer" contest...bottoms up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
steve-on-mark is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #152
Lakegirl24
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 26
Thanks: 28
Thanked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I’ve been saying the 22nd all along! I’ll be SO EXCITED if I’m right this year! I don’t know about all of you but I’m ready to get back out on the lake!!!!
Lakegirl24 is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #153
Bear Islander
Senior Member
 
Bear Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bear Island
Posts: 1,685
Thanks: 23
Thanked 363 Times in 170 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Unless of course you read this article:

The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from the Consulate at Bergen, Norway.

Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard of temperatures in the Arctic zone.

Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.

Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm

Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds.

Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coast cities uninhabitable.



I must apologize. I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2 , 1922, as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post 96 years ago. This must have been caused by the Model T Ford's emissions or possibly from horse and cattle flatulence.
Did you start with your own beliefs then look for data or articles that support your ideas? That's hardly "scientific".

Perhaps that article was written to support a political position. Perhaps it was just wrong. Perhaps the author was simply tying to create a sensational article that would create interest. It succeed in sparking your interest 97 years later. Perhaps the author, like you, started with a preconceived notion and looked for data or reports to support that belief.
Bear Islander is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #154
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,155
Thanks: 447
Thanked 543 Times in 367 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Did you start with your own beliefs then look for data or articles that support your ideas? That's hardly "scientific".

Perhaps that article was written to support a political position. Perhaps it was just wrong. Perhaps the author was simply tying to create a sensational article that would create interest. It succeed in sparking your interest 97 years later. Perhaps the author, like you, started with a preconceived notion and looked for data or reports to support that belief.
Are we really to the point that we do not believe anything anymore? We are questioning the agenda of an article written almost 100 years ago.
joey2665 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
DEJ (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 01:54 PM   #155
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 534
Thanked 542 Times in 348 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Did you start with your own beliefs then look for data or articles that support your ideas? That's hardly "scientific".

Perhaps that article was written to support a political position. Perhaps it was just wrong. Perhaps the author was simply tying to create a sensational article that would create interest. It succeed in sparking your interest 97 years later. Perhaps the author, like you, started with a preconceived notion and looked for data or reports to support that belief.
Or perhaps we're getting bored watching ice melt?
Descant is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #156
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,028
Thanks: 603
Thanked 686 Times in 424 Posts
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Yes, but the question is, was it? Until someone can post a link to the actual article, it isn't fact.
The link to the article was already posted but I thought I would post it without having to go to the link.
Attached Images
 
__________________
It's never crowded along the extra mile.
Rusty is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #157
DEJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 328
Thanks: 242
Thanked 179 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Did you start with your own beliefs then look for data or articles that support your ideas? That's hardly "scientific".

Perhaps that article was written to support a political position. Perhaps it was just wrong. Perhaps the author was simply tying to create a sensational article that would create interest. It succeed in sparking your interest 97 years later. Perhaps the author, like you, started with a preconceived notion and looked for data or reports to support that belief.
DEJ is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #158
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,434
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 196
Thanked 501 Times in 374 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
No, it's not off topic.

With google, any nitwit can easily find multiple references on any one topic, idea, person, historical event or anything else ...... and is pretty easy to find a reference that supports what you already were thinking or whatever agenda you are promoting ..... I do it all the time.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 04:43 PM   #159
DEJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 328
Thanks: 242
Thanked 179 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
No, it's not off topic.

With google, any nitwit can easily find multiple references on any one topic, idea, person, historical event or anything else ...... and is pretty easy to find a reference that supports what you already were thinking or whatever agenda you are promoting ..... I do it all the time.
I rest my case.
DEJ is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
CaptT820 (04-22-2019), Nagigator (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #160
Sundancer320
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 33
Thanks: 4
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Can we please keep this thread for ice conditions and open water and NOT political environmental back and forth?
Sundancer320 is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sundancer320 For This Useful Post:
DEJ (04-21-2019), Flyfisha (04-21-2019), plarchez (04-22-2019), trfour (04-21-2019), webmaster (04-21-2019), winnipiseogee (04-22-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #161
chaseisland
Senior Member
 
chaseisland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Concord, NH
Posts: 97
Thanks: 3
Thanked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Default Oh fudge

Ice out was just declared in my vodka on the rocks, Woe is me!
chaseisland is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chaseisland For This Useful Post:
Flyfisha (04-21-2019), LakesLady (04-22-2019), Pineedles (04-22-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 07:00 PM   #162
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,147
Thanks: 191
Thanked 1,374 Times in 554 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
So we are still on track for 4/22 at 3pm then.

I shall prepare my acceptance speech.
That would be to controversial.
MAXUM is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 11:12 PM   #163
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 546
Thanks: 291
Thanked 150 Times in 95 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Are we really to the point that we do not believe anything anymore? We are questioning the agenda of an article written almost 100 years ago.
No on both counts--

It is the agenda of people using the article today that has been questioned.

It is climate change deniers who have a hard time believing things in the face of overwhelming evidence.
FlyingScot is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 11:56 PM   #164
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,155
Thanks: 447
Thanked 543 Times in 367 Posts
Default "Official" Ice Out Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
No on both counts--



It is the agenda of people using the article today that has been questioned.



It is climate change deniers who have a hard time believing things in the face of overwhelming evidence.


Sorry on both accounts. They are denying the source author of the article and I do think climate change is over exaggerated


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by joey2665; 04-22-2019 at 06:14 AM.
joey2665 is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 07:01 AM   #165
sladd
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 2
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yesterday after I drive on Rte 11 from Alton to Meredith and didn’t see any ice. Anyone know how Wolfboro looks?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
sladd is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 07:22 AM   #166
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 1,503
Thanks: 230
Thanked 844 Times in 348 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Did you start with your own beliefs then look for data or articles that support your ideas? That's hardly "scientific".

Perhaps that article was written to support a political position. Perhaps it was just wrong. Perhaps the author was simply tying to create a sensational article that would create interest. It succeed in sparking your interest 97 years later. Perhaps the author, like you, started with a preconceived notion and looked for data or reports to support that belief.
Your presumptions could not be more incorrect. And I assume you know what is often said about people who assume things. The article was emailed to me by a friend. I laughed when I read it because of the last sentence and I shared it because I though other people would too. It's that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
It's kind of silly to suggest that because somebody may have been wrong a hundred years ago that the entire scientific community is wrong today. And it's ironic to use a fact check site that may show one article in favor of climate change denial when that same site likely shows about a thousand (a million?) other references that support climate change
I am not sure when you had the time to interview "the entire scientific community" but you must have missed a few scientists. I can assure you that there are plenty of scientists that disagree with a lot of the global warming or climate change (or whatever they call it this week) theories.

I don't know what is right at this time but it is pretty obvious the the person quoted in the article was wrong about climate change 100 years ago. Most of the predictions never came true.

From another source:

The Great Global Warming Swindle

The Great Global Warming Swindle is a polemical documentary film that suggests that the scientific opinion on climate change is influenced by funding and political factors, and questions whether scientific consensus on global warming exists.

The film, made by British television producer Martin Durkin, presents scientists, economists, politicians, writers, and others who dispute the scientific consensus regarding anthropogenic global warming. The programme's publicity materials assert that man-made global warming is "a lie" and "the biggest scam of modern times."


So, sometimes when you only listen to people who agree with you it tends to skew your opinions, and if what is said confirms your opinions, you feel it validates them.

In life, and in politics, that can often work against you.

And then there is this:

31,487 American scientists have signed this petition, including 9,029 with PhDs (Must be some of the scientists missed by FlyingScot)
Attached Images
 
TiltonBB is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #167
8gv
Senior Member
 
8gv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,138
Thanks: 23
Thanked 333 Times in 206 Posts
Default

Yeah but...

Did Emerson get the plane out of the hangar yet?

I have been running the fog machine all night...
8gv is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #168
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,147
Thanks: 191
Thanked 1,374 Times in 554 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sladd View Post
Yesterday after I drive on Rte 11 from Alton to Meredith and didn’t see any ice. Anyone know how Wolfboro looks?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
As of Saturday....

Ice in there nothing solid looked like ice that was blowing in from the broads that was chunks from elsewhere. It's pretty much an ice flow that shifts around with the prevailing wind. Guaranteed it will "sink" by mid week

FYI water levels right now are HIGH!

It'll be gone this week.

In other news... parking lot was full at the state boat ramp in Alton Bay.
MAXUM is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #169
Top-Water
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Derry-Belmont
Posts: 695
Thanks: 432
Thanked 271 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Guaranteed it will "sink" by mid week
Would you know how long it takes for Marine Patrol to have the sunken ice marked off. : What color buoys do they use for sunken ice.

Last edited by Top-Water; 04-22-2019 at 09:28 AM. Reason: will / to
Top-Water is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 09:03 AM   #170
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,492
Thanks: 929
Thanked 433 Times in 317 Posts
Question When Did Climate Never Change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
It's kind of silly to suggest that because somebody may have been wrong a hundred years ago that the entire scientific community is wrong today. And it's ironic to use a fact check site that may show one article in favor of climate change denial when that same site likely shows about a thousand (a million?) other references that support climate change
When politics (and money) is involved?

ApS is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #171
webmaster
Moderator
 
webmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,172
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 319
Thanked 2,745 Times in 647 Posts
Default

Just posted by Emerson Aviation:

Quote:
Center Harbor Bay and beyond. The Northern sections of the Lake is still encased in ice. This was from last night before sunset. We'll be back up later this morning. Probably a couple more days.
webmaster is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
jeffk (04-22-2019), Merrymeeting (04-22-2019), Top-Water (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #172
Slickcraft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Welch Island and West Alton
Posts: 2,548
Thanks: 808
Thanked 1,394 Times in 643 Posts
Default

I am surprised at that so long after mid lake being clear of ice.

In the mean time we got the water in on Welch yesterday and were rewarded with a pretty nice sunset.
Attached Images
  
Slickcraft is offline  
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (04-22-2019), Descant (04-22-2019), DRH (04-24-2019), ishoot308 (04-22-2019), Lake Charm (04-22-2019), lakershaker (04-22-2019), MAXUM (04-22-2019), mneck1814 (04-22-2019), pam.in.ny (04-23-2019), pontoonbarge (04-22-2019), webmaster (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #173
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,147
Thanks: 191
Thanked 1,374 Times in 554 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Would you know how long it takes for Marine Patrol to have the sunken ice marked off. : What color buoys do they use for sunken ice.
There was heated debate over this at the MP HQ.

DPW thought it appropriate to float some "frost heave" signs over them.

MP wanted to attach 2 foot long reflective hot pink noodles to them. Secretly it's believed the reason why is a trip to the hardware store is rewarded with free super duper coffee which does not compare to the stuff they have at the MP HQ and they are always looking to bling out their patrol boats with random trinkets from the discount bargain bin at the front of the store.

Who will win this epic battle? Guess we will wait and find out!

Unnamed, but well known sources from within Emerson Aviation familiar with this have assured the public that they will provide photos from the air of marked areas of sunken ice.

Bizer will be also updating their 2019 navigational charts with the newly created "seasonal" markings complete with GPS coordinates. Laminated charts will not be available till June.

First printed, Associated Press, April 22, 1922.
MAXUM is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 10:17 AM   #174
Bear Islander
Senior Member
 
Bear Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bear Island
Posts: 1,685
Thanks: 23
Thanked 363 Times in 170 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Your presumptions could not be more incorrect. And I assume you know what is often said about people who assume things. The article was emailed to me by a friend. I laughed when I read it because of the last sentence and I shared it because I though other people would too. It's that simple.



I am not sure when you had the time to interview "the entire scientific community" but you must have missed a few scientists. I can assure you that there are plenty of scientists that disagree with a lot of the global warming or climate change (or whatever they call it this week) theories.

I don't know what is right at this time but it is pretty obvious the the person quoted in the article was wrong about climate change 100 years ago. Most of the predictions never came true.

From another source:

The Great Global Warming Swindle

The Great Global Warming Swindle is a polemical documentary film that suggests that the scientific opinion on climate change is influenced by funding and political factors, and questions whether scientific consensus on global warming exists.

The film, made by British television producer Martin Durkin, presents scientists, economists, politicians, writers, and others who dispute the scientific consensus regarding anthropogenic global warming. The programme's publicity materials assert that man-made global warming is "a lie" and "the biggest scam of modern times."


So, sometimes when you only listen to people who agree with you it tends to skew your opinions, and if what is said confirms your opinions, you feel it validates them.

In life, and in politics, that can often work against you.

And then there is this:

31,487 American scientists have signed this petition, including 9,029 with PhDs (Must be some of the scientists missed by FlyingScot)
It's incredible how people can get sucked into internet fakes. That "Petition" has been circulated for more that twenty years. Snopes declare it to be false. Included as signatories are the Spice Girls band and most of the character in Star Wars. And the funding originated with the oil industry.

It only takes a few seconds to check out things on Snopes BEFORE you post.
Bear Islander is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
Pricestavern (04-22-2019), TheRoBoat (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:32 AM   #175
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,155
Thanks: 447
Thanked 543 Times in 367 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Just posted by Emerson Aviation:
I guess the wind blew all the ice into Center Harbor
joey2665 is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 10:45 AM   #176
Garcia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 203
Thanks: 38
Thanked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Your presumptions could not be more incorrect. And I assume you know what is often said about people who assume things. The article was emailed to me by a friend. I laughed when I read it because of the last sentence and I shared it because I though other people would too. It's that simple.



I am not sure when you had the time to interview "the entire scientific community" but you must have missed a few scientists. I can assure you that there are plenty of scientists that disagree with a lot of the global warming or climate change (or whatever they call it this week) theories.

I don't know what is right at this time but it is pretty obvious the the person quoted in the article was wrong about climate change 100 years ago. Most of the predictions never came true.

From another source:

The Great Global Warming Swindle

The Great Global Warming Swindle is a polemical documentary film that suggests that the scientific opinion on climate change is influenced by funding and political factors, and questions whether scientific consensus on global warming exists.

The film, made by British television producer Martin Durkin, presents scientists, economists, politicians, writers, and others who dispute the scientific consensus regarding anthropogenic global warming. The programme's publicity materials assert that man-made global warming is "a lie" and "the biggest scam of modern times."


So, sometimes when you only listen to people who agree with you it tends to skew your opinions, and if what is said confirms your opinions, you feel it validates them.

In life, and in politics, that can often work against you.

And then there is this:

31,487 American scientists have signed this petition, including 9,029 with PhDs (Must be some of the scientists missed by FlyingScot)
Here's a link to the Snopes article: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/30...limate-change/

The beauty of the information age - one can always find something to support a position!

An entertaining distraction while I wait for the ice to go out...
Garcia is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #177
DEJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 328
Thanks: 242
Thanked 179 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
It's incredible how people can get sucked into internet fakes. That "Petition" has been circulated for more that twenty years. Snopes declare it to be false. Included as signatories are the Spice Girls band and most of the character in Star Wars. And the funding originated with the oil industry.

It only takes a few seconds to check out things on Snopes BEFORE you post.

This is a thread about ice conditions on the lake, please stay on topic or start another thread.
DEJ is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (04-22-2019), plarchez (04-23-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #178
Mink Islander
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Norwell, MA
Posts: 648
Thanks: 39
Thanked 205 Times in 94 Posts
Default How many moderators does the forum need?

You gotta complaint about what’s happening on a particular thread, I suggest you relay your concern to the moderator rather than playing net nanny for the rest of us. He’s actually does quite a good job if you let him.

Just sayin’.

Oh, and I know, I’m contributing by bitching about the people who are bitching! LOL.
Mink Islander is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 01:03 PM   #179
JasJackson
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Center Harbor is clearing quite nicely from the pics Emerson posted on FB 4 hours ago. 2 views by Long Island Bridge near Trexlers.
Attached Images
  
JasJackson is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to JasJackson For This Useful Post:
escaped from NJ (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #180
JasJackson
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Top: a view looking NW towards Center Harbor. Bottom: a view looking SE into Moultonborough Bay
JasJackson is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JasJackson For This Useful Post:
farechofisherman (04-22-2019), Garcia (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #181
Bear Islander
Senior Member
 
Bear Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bear Island
Posts: 1,685
Thanks: 23
Thanked 363 Times in 170 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post

This is a thread about ice conditions on the lake, please stay on topic or start another thread.
Are you suggesting that global warming has no connection with ice conditions on the lake?

I disagree. It seems to me that ice out is getting later over time. However that observation is anecdotal and not scientific.
Bear Islander is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
SimpleTL (04-24-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 01:33 PM   #182
LIforrelaxin
Senior Member
 
LIforrelaxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Posts: 2,263
Thanks: 792
Thanked 653 Times in 354 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Are you suggesting that global warming has no connection with ice conditions on the lake?

I disagree. It seems to me that ice out is getting later over time. However that observation is anecdotal and not scientific.
I agree .....

However your stance of ice out getting later over time, indicates not necessarily global warming, but rather a shift in the timing of the season, in our "calendar year"..... These things can be shown or not scientifically, however screaming global warming has a much better chaotic effect to it.

I am not saying that global warming isn't a real thing.... but I also believe with more study we might find some additional shifts and re-alignments going on, as mother natures determines and figures out how to deal with the biggest environmental challenge on earth "MAN"

Yep I just went there............
__________________
Life is about how much time you can spend relaxing... I do it on an island that isn't really an island.....
LIforrelaxin is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 02:15 PM   #183
DEJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 328
Thanks: 242
Thanked 179 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Are you suggesting that global warming has no connection with ice conditions on the lake?

I disagree. It seems to me that ice out is getting later over time. However that observation is anecdotal and not scientific.

PLEASE start another thread if you wish to discuss global warming, thank you.
DEJ is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #184
DEJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 328
Thanks: 242
Thanked 179 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I agree .....

However your stance of ice out getting later over time, indicates not necessarily global warming, but rather a shift in the timing of the season, in our "calendar year"..... These things can be shown or not scientifically, however screaming global warming has a much better chaotic effect to it.

I am not saying that global warming isn't a real thing.... but I also believe with more study we might find some additional shifts and re-alignments going on, as mother natures determines and figures out how to deal with the biggest environmental challenge on earth "MAN"

Yep I just went there............

PLEASE start another thread if you want to continue to discuss global warming. Thanks.
DEJ is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
barndoor (04-22-2019), Descant (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 02:34 PM   #185
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,452
Thanks: 657
Thanked 674 Times in 395 Posts
Default

*Steps in, looking for discussion about ice out and climate change, finds DEJ posting more requests to separate off-topic posts than actual off-topic posts, steps out...after wondering for a moment whether or not someone will actually count the number of DEJ requests or will recognize hyperbole*

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #186
webmaster
Moderator
 
webmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,172
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 319
Thanked 2,745 Times in 647 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Are you suggesting that global warming has no connection with ice conditions on the lake?

I disagree. It seems to me that ice out is getting later over time. However that observation is anecdotal and not scientific.
The problem is that this thread is for Ice-Out updates. If you want to start another thread about Climate Change and the lake you are welcome to do so but this thread should be about the status of the lake ice during this period.

For those interested in that other topic check the data on our Ice-Out page that shows the Ice-Out dates for the last 130 or so years.
webmaster is offline  
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Andromeda321 (04-23-2019), barndoor (04-23-2019), Bear Guy (04-23-2019), Biggd (04-23-2019), Blue Thunder (04-22-2019), CaptT820 (04-22-2019), codeman671 (04-23-2019), DEJ (04-22-2019), Descant (04-22-2019), DRH (04-24-2019), farechofisherman (04-22-2019), Flyfisha (04-23-2019), jeffk (04-22-2019), jimkberry (04-22-2019), Newbiesaukee (04-22-2019), Phantom (04-23-2019), pontoonbarge (04-22-2019), sum-r breeze (04-23-2019), trfour (04-22-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 06:10 AM   #187
JasJackson
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Wink

With the latest view from Center Harbor Inn, it looks as though the Mount Washington can leave her winter port and head back to The Weirs...

https://centerharborinn.com/winnipesaukee-webcam/

Ice out 4/23/19 @ 6:10a? Wakey wakey eggs ‘n bakey Emerson Aviation!

Last edited by JasJackson; 04-23-2019 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Misspelled word
JasJackson is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 07:55 AM   #188
ericnh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 85
Thanks: 18
Thanked 111 Times in 33 Posts
Default Still ice in Center Harbor bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasJackson View Post
With the latest view from Center Harbor Inn, it looks as though the Mount Washington can leave her winter port and head back to The Weirs...

https://centerharborinn.com/winnipesaukee-webcam/

Ice out 4/23/19 @ 6:10a? Wakey wakey eggs ‘n bakey Emerson Aviation!
Drove through Center Harbor on Monday afternoon and still has plenty of ice.
ericnh is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #189
rsmlp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 368
Thanks: 5
Thanked 105 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
The problem is that this thread is for Ice-Out updates. If you want to start another thread about Climate Change and the lake you are welcome to do so but this thread should be about the status of the lake ice during this period.

For those interested in that other topic check the data on our Ice-Out page that shows the Ice-Out dates for the last 130 or so years.
Right on. BTW, a cursory review of ice out dates suggests the median to be right about now, maybe a day later or so.
rsmlp is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #190
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,492
Thanks: 929
Thanked 433 Times in 317 Posts
Wink Watching Ice Melt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Are you suggesting that global warming has no connection with ice conditions on the lake? I disagree. It seems to me that ice out is getting later over time. However that observation is anecdotal and not scientific.
Yeah! Where was Emerson Aviation in 1887?

Oh wait: Emerson Aviation has just made an announcement—which I quote:

Quote:
"Covfefe"
__________________
.Sailing—Good for you and good for the world...

...and you won't stink...
ApS is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #191
Fever29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 2
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Emerson just posted an update... looks like ice out could be this afternoon!

"Closing in on ice out. As of 11:00 Center Harbor is holding on but just barely."
Fever29 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Fever29 For This Useful Post:
nj2nh (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 12:33 PM   #192
nj2nh
Senior Member
 
nj2nh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Glen Rock NJ
Posts: 484
Thanks: 28
Thanked 33 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Are you suggesting that global warming has no connection with ice conditions on the lake?

I disagree. It seems to me that ice out is getting later over time. However that observation is anecdotal and not scientific.


Earliest ice out ever was in 2016. So much for it getting later.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
nj2nh is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #193
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,853
Thanks: 533
Thanked 355 Times in 245 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post
Earliest ice out ever was in 2016. So much for it getting later.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
That was a strange winter. I remember walking around Meredith at Christmas time in a T-shirt.
Biggd is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #194
pondguy
Senior Member
 
pondguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Meredith
Posts: 202
Thanks: 245
Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever29 View Post
Emerson just posted an update... looks like ice out could be this afternoon!

"Closing in on ice out. As of 11:00 Center Harbor is holding on but just barely."
It could sink any minute now !
pondguy is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 02:27 PM   #195
MDoug
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 258
Thanks: 90
Thanked 29 Times in 26 Posts
Default Bear Power Restored

NHEC crew got to Bear when ice cleared enough and restored power just now.
MDoug is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MDoug For This Useful Post:
Bear Islander (04-23-2019), MAXUM (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 02:44 PM   #196
Pricestavern
Senior Member
 
Pricestavern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Long Island (not that one, the one in NY)
Posts: 313
Thanks: 39
Thanked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Default 10 Year Average Ice-Out Dates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Are you suggesting that global warming has no connection with ice conditions on the lake?

I disagree. It seems to me that ice out is getting later over time. However that observation is anecdotal and not scientific.
I'm hoping my graph can be seen here. I took the Ice-Out dates from the historical list and calculated the average Ice-out date for each 10 period, starting with 1887-1896, and so on. It certainly shows a long term trend towards earlier and earlier ice outs.
Attached Images
 
Pricestavern is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pricestavern For This Useful Post:
Bear Islander (04-23-2019), FlyingScot (04-25-2019), Newbiesaukee (04-23-2019), stevemax001 (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #197
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,147
Thanks: 191
Thanked 1,374 Times in 554 Posts
Default

See there you go, proof that ice sinks faster today than it did in the late 1800's.
MAXUM is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #198
nj2nh
Senior Member
 
nj2nh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Glen Rock NJ
Posts: 484
Thanks: 28
Thanked 33 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondguy View Post
It could sink any minute now !


I read an article recently that sinking ice is a myth. It cannot and does not sink. Always thought it did, too.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
nj2nh is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 04:00 PM   #199
Fever29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 2
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

So close!!
Attached Images
 
Fever29 is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 04:13 PM   #200
Barney Bear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 710
Thanks: 318
Thanked 184 Times in 116 Posts
Default Oh Well!

Missed my guess of 1:23 PM. this afternoon. Maybe next year. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.48624 seconds