Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2024, 05:38 PM   #1
ITD
Senior Member
 
ITD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonboro, NH
Posts: 2,889
Thanks: 466
Thanked 678 Times in 377 Posts
Default Lake Kanasatka treatment pic

Treatment was being applied this morning...

One photo rotated on it's own....
Attached Images
  
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (05-17-2024), Lakegeezer (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 05:58 AM   #2
mishman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 174
Thanks: 55
Thanked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Default manmade ponds?

What are the manmade ponds in the lower part of the second picture?
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 06:14 AM   #3
ITD
Senior Member
 
ITD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonboro, NH
Posts: 2,889
Thanks: 466
Thanked 678 Times in 377 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishman View Post
What are the manmade ponds in the lower part of the second picture?
Sewage treatment plant. I wonder if anyone has checked to see if these are leaking into the lake?
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 09:26 AM   #4
LIforrelaxin
Senior Member
 
LIforrelaxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Posts: 2,836
Thanks: 1,019
Thanked 885 Times in 518 Posts
Default

Saw the equipment this weekend......... Hopefully this helps.....

Comment on the sewage ponds, they where included in a report I read on the situation, so I am sure any possible source is being studied....
__________________
Life is about how much time you can spend relaxing... I do it on an island that isn't really an island.....
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 07:43 PM   #5
GTO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,077
Thanks: 337
Thanked 342 Times in 158 Posts
Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Treatment was being applied this morning...

One photo rotated on it's own....
What is it being treated for?
__________________
GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2024, 08:41 PM   #6
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 3,120
Thanks: 2
Thanked 549 Times in 451 Posts
Default

CB blooms.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 03:39 PM   #7
Lakegeezer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Moultonboro, NH
Posts: 1,661
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 348
Thanked 629 Times in 281 Posts
Default another picture

The cyano boat was at it again on 5/21. Here's a picture from above.
Attached Images
 
__________________
-lg
Lakegeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lakegeezer For This Useful Post:
Descant (05-21-2024), ITD (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 09:18 PM   #8
GTO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,077
Thanks: 337
Thanked 342 Times in 158 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
The cyano boat was at it again on 5/21. Here's a picture from above.
Very cool operation
__________________
GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 08:04 AM   #9
Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Gilford
Posts: 100
Thanks: 24
Thanked 157 Times in 50 Posts
Default Lake K Lagoons and Alum Treatment

Bill Gassman has a really great drone video of Phase 1 last week, and here is the FAQ doc for anyone wanting to know more about the treatment.

YouTube Video Link
FAQ Bulletin from FB Environmental

In regards to the lagoons...

From the Lake K Watershed Management Plan "The land use based watershed load alone (assuming no point source discharge to groundwater from the lagoons) generated a predicted annual in-stream total phosphorus concentration matching observed data well. Given the lack of discrepancy between predicted and observed total phosphorus concentration, there is currently no evidence that the sewage lagoons pose a significant threat to the water quality of Lake Kanasatka. Despite no concrete evidence of potential groundwater contamination from the lagoons, NHDES has encouraged the Bay District Sewer Commission to pursue funding for a planning study to “assess the feasibility for discontinuing the use of its unlined lagoons and instead discharge all of its wastewater directly to the WRBP wastewater treatment facility, as well as permanent closure of the lagoons” (NHDES, 2022e). "
__________________
The Lake Winnipesaukee Association (LWA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the water quality and natural resources of Lake Winnipesaukee and its watershed. Through monitoring, education, stewardship, and science guided approaches for lake management, LWA works to ensure Winnipesaukee’s scenic beauty, wildlife habitat, water quality and recreational potential continues to provide enjoyment long into the future.

http://www.winnipesaukee.org/
Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 08:22 AM   #10
ITD
Senior Member
 
ITD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonboro, NH
Posts: 2,889
Thanks: 466
Thanked 678 Times in 377 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc View Post
Bill Gassman has a really great drone video of Phase 1 last week, and here is the FAQ doc for anyone wanting to know more about the treatment.

YouTube Video Link
FAQ Bulletin from FB Environmental

In regards to the lagoons...

From the Lake K Watershed Management Plan "The land use based watershed load alone (assuming no point source discharge to groundwater from the lagoons) generated a predicted annual in-stream total phosphorus concentration matching observed data well. Given the lack of discrepancy between predicted and observed total phosphorus concentration, there is currently no evidence that the sewage lagoons pose a significant threat to the water quality of Lake Kanasatka. Despite no concrete evidence of potential groundwater contamination from the lagoons, NHDES has encouraged the Bay District Sewer Commission to pursue funding for a planning study to “assess the feasibility for discontinuing the use of its unlined lagoons and instead discharge all of its wastewater directly to the WRBP wastewater treatment facility, as well as permanent closure of the lagoons” (NHDES, 2022e). "
It would probably be less expensive in the long run to line the lagoons.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.24747 seconds