Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
aquabones

Default People with rowing shells

Is there a rowing club on Winnipeasukee? If not, are there a group of people that would like to row together?
I have an older Alden shell that I haven't used in years and will be looking for new oars to use.
aquabones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabones View Post
Is there a rowing club on Winnipeasukee? If not, are there a group of people that would like to row together?
I have an older Alden shell that I haven't used in years and will be looking for new oars to use.
It's a big lake, where are you ?
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:21 PM   #3
bilproject

Smile Squam Rowing

I row on Winni, but I also row with Squam Community Rowing. We are a sanctioned US Rowing Club and we are looking to expand. We will be holding coached rows this summer, coached by a former Olympian, Susan Mathieson, and by a collegiate and high school coach, John Lin.
You can get more info from our website, SquamCommunityRowing.com

We row out of Squam Lakes Association every day the water is safe. We have a couple of singles, a couple of doubles, a quad and a 4 seat sweep with cox.

You are welcome to get in touch with me directly. I live on bear island, my name is Cathy and you can reach me at 426bearisland@gmail.com

Happy Rowing!
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bilproject For This Useful Post:
ITD (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #4
bilproject

Smile Squam Rowing, continued

I neglected to add that we are currently planning to acquire more equipment, too, so that the club can grow both in the number of people competing and the number rowing recreationally.
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:39 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Rowing club

There was a rowing club that meet Saturdays at Opechee Point on Lake Opechee, perhaps call Laconia Rec. Dept. for more info.

When I was looking in Hooksett, there is a very active rowing club on the Merrimack River above the dam.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #6
aquabones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
It's a big lake, where are you ?
I'm in Patrician shores in Meredith-right on the Center Harbor line.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #7
fatlazyless

www.rowwinni.org rows Lake Waukewan in Meredith, across from the Meredith Water Dept, early in the morning, just about every day, with singles, doubles, fours, and 8-seaters.

Sometimes, but not too often, they row Meredith Bay on Winnipesaukee. So, maybe they should change their name to rowwaukee.org?

You want to know what works totally super-duper for rowing the 2 1/2 foot high, endless incoming Winnipesaukee weekend motorboat wakes? A 15' or a 17' Grumman aluminum canoe, set up with an old A-Row-Bic, 1980's, slide seat rowing rig, and some 7' long, wood oars. And, it is a relative el cheapo row that can handle anything and everything that Lake Winnipesaukee can whip up ..... big wakes .... wind chop ... big waves .... 500-year tsunamis .... the wake from the Sophie C. .... the wake from the Doris E. .... you name it ....anything....it is an extremely stable row with the canoe sides high enough, and plenty dynamic ride to stay safely afloat while seated in the center of the canoe, and pretty close to the floor, in the rowing rig.

Is somewhat similar to an old row dory from the 1780's.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-13-2017 at 04:12 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:22 AM   #8
aquabones

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
www.rowwinni.org rows Lake Waukewan in Meredith, across from the Meredith Water Dept, early in the morning, just about every day, with singles, doubles, fours, and 8-seaters.

Sometimes, but not too often, they row Meredith Bay on Winnipesaukee. So, maybe they should change their name to rowwaukee.org?

You want to know what works totally super-duper for rowing the 2 1/2 foot high, endless incoming Winnipesaukee weekend motorboat wakes? A 15' or a 17' Grumman aluminum canoe, set up with an old A-Row-Bic, 1980's, slide seat rowing rig, and some 7' long, wood oars. And, it is a relative el cheapo row that can handle anything and everything that Lake Winnipesaukee can whip up ..... big wakes .... wind chop ... big waves .... 500-year tsunamis .... the wake from the Sophie C. .... the wake from the Doris E. .... you name it ....anything....it is an extremely stable row with the canoe sides high enough, and plenty dynamic ride to stay safely afloat while seated in the center of the canoe, and pretty close to the floor, in the rowing rig.

Is somewhat similar to an old row dory from the 1780's.
sounds interesting-can you post a picture?
Old 05-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
fatlazyless

The 15' aluminum canoe made by any high quality aluminum canoe maker like Grumman, Michicraft, Alumacraft, Sea Nymph, and others are all similar, and they row very, very good with a slide seat row rig. The oar locks extend about six inches beyond the gunnels. You remove the center thwart, and attach the row rig to the gunnels with four screws, so the sliding seat is centered mid-ship, and just a couple inches above the bottom which adds to the stability. Wood oars, seven feet long, work perfect. I prefer the oars locks which have a pin that goes through the center of the wood oar which makes it easier to row since the oar is always held in the same correct position with no feathering.

The aluminum canoes have a 1" keel that runs the length of the boat which helps to make it go straight....and it moves along fast ....much faster than with two paddlers.

Will see about getting a photo of my row canoe.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:54 AM   #10
Orion

Default similar product

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabones View Post
sounds interesting-can you post a picture?
Sounded intriguing so I searched and found this similar product to adapt a canoe for rowing at http://rowalden.com/product/row-wing-sliding-rigger/
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:01 AM   #11
fatlazyless

Default ..... $695 ...... yikes!

.....$695....for the Walden canoe row slider rig with no oars included.....yikes....and holy moly! .....it must be made out of 24-carat gold or something ....... I paid just $125 on craigslist from someone in southern NH for my 1980's A-Row-Bic slide seat, canoe row rig, and that included two sets of 7' and huge 8' wood oars along with oar locks... so that was a steal of a deal .... $695 .... for that? ..... omg!

.....and the 15' aluminum canoe was $285 ...... was asking 300 .....and 285 was the lowest he would go?

Paying $695 for that Walden row rig is way, way over priced, and it seems to me like they have priced their product out of business. If that Chinese dock-in-a-box maker, PlayStar, that sells on walmart.com, thought it would see sales demand, PlayStar could sell it for like $125 .... because it is a fairly simple and uncomplicated product ...... someone handy could easily make one in a home work shop, or out in the garage work shop.....just back out the 1977 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser wagon ...... and get to work on it!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-15-2017 at 03:42 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote