Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
Long Island Mac

Default Harilla Landing Trailer Parking

Just a courtesy head's up that the folks on Long Island have reached the boiling point with abandoned trailers for weeks and months at a time at the Harilla State boat launch at the end of Long Island. Many who leave trailers think they are comical and remove the license plates. Some chain and lock trailers to a tree in the woods, and remove the plate too!

I witnessed two abandoned trailers being towed away today. Both had no plates. One was in the woods on private property, the other on the side of the road.

I heard some rumblings about this from neighbors. They feel the abandoned trailers are an eyesore and also cause danger with all the summer walkers in that area. I live down here too, pretty close to that end, and agree. My take is that it's pretty gutsy and inconsiderate to just leave your trailer on someone else's property for 3 months and expect that it is okay to do so.

This may just be the year that you think twice about it and make other arrangements for your summer trailer storage. I am guessing the local towing company will charge a small fortune to retrieve it back in the Fall.

Wishing you a great boating season!
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Long Island Mac For This Useful Post:
Sandy Island fan (05-11-2014), upthesaukee (05-11-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #2
chase1

I just called the town and there has not been any change to the town ordinance. Parking is still available in the State's right-of-way along Long Island Rd. I was told the right of way was 25' from the road. Unregistered trailers may be another story, but a registered trailer is just a parked trailer. If neighbors are putting up signs on state land and stealing state license plates they may want to rethink the strategy.

Chase1
chase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
dpg

Hmmm...Is there a sign there to not leave any Trailers? I'm assuming there must be a warning (sign.)
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
dpg

Thinking on another note who's making the call to remove the trailers? Wonder if it's the town or certain individuals or maybe an association? Can't imagine an individual person has the authority to make that call.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

There never was any sign in the past. Although I must admit I haven't been down to the launch yet this year. This has been going on for years, and while certain people may wish to end this practice, I think it is going to be rather hard to do. Most trailers do have identification on them..Quite often they are vacationers and are gone the next week. Their are instances where a trailer stays parked all year, but it is pretty rare....
Old 05-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
Newbiesaukee

I live on Adams Shore, the last street before the lake. What are the regulations for parking along the road?

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
Little Bear

I was over there yesterday. There are signs posted all along the right side of the road when headed toward the lake. However, I didn't see any signs on the opposite side of the road. If it were the Town or the State posting, I would assume they would have posted on both sides of the road?
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
JTA

I have a small boat on a trailer that is stored by CMC during the winter. CMC then also stores my trailer during the summer when my boat is at my camp. It does cost me a small amount of money but I don't worry about it in return. Talk to Andy at Harilla, he may be able to offer you trailer storage.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
Formula

Default Private land

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Thinking on another note who's making the call to remove the trailers? Wonder if it's the town or certain individuals or maybe an association? Can't imagine an individual person has the authority to make that call.
I know the owners of the land on the right hand side of the road heading to the lake. They are very protective of their land. I do not think there needs to be a sign or warning. If someone parked on your front lawn I would think you have the right to have it towed. I am nor 100% sure if the private land goes to edge of road or if there is a small buffer.
I think people need to be a wear of the private land and have the courtesy not to infringe on it.

It should be an interesting summer!!!
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
Newbiesaukee

There are now signs on both sides of the road. Also the first two trailers left overnight have been spotted. Interesting to see what will happen.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote