Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2020, 08:13 AM   #1
Chimi

Default WMUR on Hulu

I had been getting WMUR on Hulu at my house on Cow Island for the last year. I had not been to the house since the power went out a couple of weeks ago. When I got here yesterday I no longer had WMUR on Hulu live, but instead I’m getting WMTV from Portland. I called Hulu and they told me that the IP address is showing that we are in the Portland viewing area (according to FCC) so there’s nothing they can do about it. They said it was a mistake that I was getting WMUR prior to the power outage. Kind of ridiculous.

Is there any other way to get WMUR with a different service (Sling perhaps)?
Chimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:17 AM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

I watch WMUR news on the "NewsOn" app if it's news you are looking for.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Chimi (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 08:30 AM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Not with Hulu but...

Not with Hulu, but last November we took the train from Boston to Orlando FL.

We had cut the cord earlier in the year and started using YouTubeTV here in Alton. We watched, among other things, WMUR all the way down and back, even while using my phone as a hot spot.

YouTubeTV just went to $65 per month. I do know that a friend in Freedom is considered in the Maine viewing area and cannot get WMUR.

Perhaps McDude's suggestion is a good one.

Dave

Last edited by upthesaukee; 08-15-2020 at 10:48 AM.
upthesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to upthesaukee For This Useful Post:
Chimi (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 09:25 AM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
YouTubeTV just went to $65 per year.

Regretfully, it's actually $65 per month.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:25 AM   #5
Kamper

WMUR.com ?
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #6
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Not with Hulu, but last November we took the train from Boston to Orlando FL.

We had cut the cord earlier in the year and started using YouTubeTV here in Alton. We watched, among other things, WMUR all the way down and back, even while using my phone as a hot spot.

YouTubeTV just went to $65 per year. I do know that a friend in Freedom is considered in the Maine viewing area and cannot get WMUR.

Perhaps McDude's suggestion is a good one.

Dave
We get WMUR in Freedom On YouTube TV but we got the Portland station when we had Spectrum. Perhaps this is because our "home" for Youtube TV is in Southern NH?
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Regretfully, it's actually $65 per month.
Thanks. My post corrected. Wishful thinking I guess. Still less than half what we were paying with TDS, including our ABB internet cost.

Dave
Old 08-15-2020, 11:22 AM   #8
Woodguy53

Not sure if this will help but you may want to check with your Internet provider to see if they can “do something”. our provider was Fairpoint which was taken over by consolidated communication. Since CC took over when we search for something “near me” the returns have been from Burlington VT area, Newport NH area, and now all the returns are from Keene NH (we live in Bedford)
I don’t know much about how providers manage your location but when we had Fairpoint the returns were out of Manchester. (Today we are apparently in Hempstead NH)

Last edited by Woodguy53; 08-15-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Woodguy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodguy53 For This Useful Post:
Chimi (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #9
DBreskin

I use YouTube TV in Wolfeboro. Normally I’d be assigned the Portland-Burlington market based on my IP address and not have access to the Boston market stations including WMUR. My workaround is to log in to the YouTube TV app on my phone during travel to the Concord area (Boston TV market) and assign that as my home area. The setting sticks for three months and allows me to watch Boston programming. I have to update quarterly.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:45 PM   #10
tummyman

YouTube TV all the way. Do the free trial and see what you can get. We switched and LOVE IT !!!!! After we cancelled MA Verizon Fios TV and NH Spectrum TV, saving $1300 per year in total for the two cable tv services.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:57 AM   #11
Loub52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimi View Post
I had been getting WMUR on Hulu at my house on Cow Island for the last year. I had not been to the house since the power went out a couple of weeks ago. When I got here yesterday I no longer had WMUR on Hulu live, but instead I’m getting WMTV from Portland. I called Hulu and they told me that the IP address is showing that we are in the Portland viewing area (according to FCC) so there’s nothing they can do about it. They said it was a mistake that I was getting WMUR prior to the power outage. Kind of ridiculous.

Is there any other way to get WMUR with a different service (Sling perhaps)?
YouTube TV via Roku. In depth thread on the topic of streaming here too: https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...eaming+service
Loub52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:12 AM   #12
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodguy53 View Post
Not sure if this will help but you may want to check with your Internet provider to see if they can “do something”. our provider was Fairpoint which was taken over by consolidated communication. Since CC took over when we search for something “near me” the returns have been from Burlington VT area, Newport NH area, and now all the returns are from Keene NH (we live in Bedford)
I don’t know much about how providers manage your location but when we had Fairpoint the returns were out of Manchester. (Today we are apparently in Hempstead NH)
Service providers have gateways that trunk all network traffic from a specific area of operation out onto the internet. These are typically fault tolerant but are not in the same geographic area as you are. These points are what your media provider sees as they try to figure out where you are coming from.

Your specific connection by your device is sitting on a private network that is not routable or discoverable from the outside world, this is for your protection! Your router acts as a NAT gateway on to the service provider's network which does the same thing again at their access point described above. Your true identity is encapsulated and encrypted within the packet data itself from prying eyes.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:44 AM   #13
Chimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
I watch WMUR news on the "NewsOn" app if it's news you are looking for.
Problem seems to be solved with the NewOn app through Roku. Thanks to you and everyone else for your suggestions.
Chimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #14
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBreskin View Post
I use YouTube TV in Wolfeboro. Normally I’d be assigned the Portland-Burlington market based on my IP address and not have access to the Boston market stations including WMUR. My workaround is to log in to the YouTube TV app on my phone during travel to the Concord area (Boston TV market) and assign that as my home area. The setting sticks for three months and allows me to watch Boston programming. I have to update quarterly.
I use YouTubeTV in New Durham, about 3 miles from the Wolfeboro line. They put us in the Boston market. Apparently the town/county line must be the break point.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
DBreskin (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 04:46 PM   #15
tummyman

Even though Cow Island is in Tuftonboro, go to the Youtube tv web site and plug in the Wolfeboro zip code and see what you get for channels. Then sign up for the free trial if it works out.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote