Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-07-2006, 05:15 AM   #1
jbess

Question Boat Launching Question!

Here in CT. w have a pretty nice lake, Lake Candlewood. They have 2 state boat launches available. We would like to play in this lake when we are not in NH. My question is this, neither of these two launches have any sort of docking or mooring, so, after I load my wife and daughter and gear in the boat, back 'er down the ramp, launch 'er, go park the truck..... HOW DO I GET IN THE BOAT !!!! I'm serious, do I have to actually swim or wade out to it?

Looking forward to your ideas, Joe
jbess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:46 AM   #2
somedaycame

we have the same"problem" at a smaller lake here,and,yes,I have to wade out and go up the swim ladder to get in the boat.
somedaycame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:08 AM   #3
dpg

There's absolutely no shore it can sit at for the ten minutes (or less) to park the car?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:37 AM   #4
Island Girl

Default Small inflatable dingy

Then you can deflate it once in the boat... keep an electric inflater in the boat to blow it back up again when you are ready to go ashore. You can get a real cheap one person one at West Marine or Wal*Mart, etc.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:48 AM   #5
jrc

One of these, hanging off a bow cleat would keep you drier. Still need to get wet feet.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...productId=4649

This is sturdier but more expensive:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...Num=&classNum=

These ideas depend on your boat and finding a spot to bring the boat in close.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2006, 08:06 AM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Yet another idea

One of those naging problems for trailer boaters....My recomondation is to get a pair of wet suit boots for about 30$ or so and slip them on your feet when you launch the boat....they will not keep you dry but will give your feet protection and keep them warm while you get the boat off the trailer park the car and wade out to the boat.......I hate ramps with out docks
Old 06-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #7
Captain Zipper

Jbess,

Are you unloading at the southern most ramp? I seem to remember a concrete retaining wall that you could park the boat against(with fenders out of course). Is the wall gone?

Of course, this is also a good reason to buy a bow rider with the ladder that comes off the bow. Have your wife drive the boat up near shore and you step up the ladder with only getting your feet wet.

Best of luck,

CZ
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:34 AM   #8
jbess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zipper
Jbess,

Are you unloading at the southern most ramp? I seem to remember a concrete retaining wall that you could park the boat against(with fenders out of course). Is the wall gone?
Hey CZ, No the wall is still there. That is the Lattins Cove ramp you are speaking of. I have sat and watched others at this ramp and have sumised that wading out is the way to go.

Heres another thing that bugs me, and I never gave it any thought till we bought the boat, and started looking at launches. Why are state launches in such dismal shape? I mean how hard is it to dredge it every couple of yrs, install some sort of mooring, etc... The 2 launches at Candlewood and the 1 at Bantam Lake here in CT, I am told, the state wont dredge out because property owners complain about boat traffic! Kinda like building your house next to an airport then trying to close the airport because the planes keep you up at night, well DuH

Just a bit of a rant, sorry, anxious for the end of July to get back on Winni!!

Joe
jbess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:00 AM   #9
Kamper

Public funding for maintenance depends on expressed interest. Write a petition to whatever commitee(s) have oversight for this type of facility. Hang out by the ramps and request signatures from other users.

If you want to be further involved form a "Friends of Candlewood Lake, public boat ramps" group to pursue public funding and maybe raise donations as well. Try doing an internet search first since someone else may already be doing the same thing.

As to getting on your own boat... Are you the only one that knows how to drive it? If your wife can manage it then have her bring it to the bank and climb over the bow. You may get your feet a little damp but at least you dont need to wade out or obtain additional equipment.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:51 PM   #10
Captain Zipper

Default Options

Jbess,

You could always keep your boat at a marina on Candlewood. Ka-ching, ka-ching! But hey, it beats the ramps.

I do most of my boating on the CT. River and the Sound. There is a boat ramp in East Haddam that is excellent. And the best part is that a few years back there wasn't enough funding to keep it manned (or womanned for that matter). I finally starting keeping it at a marina 3 years back. Ahhhhh! The only way to boat. At least for me.

Enjoy your season.

How is the lake level at Candlewood, high what with all the rain?

CZ
Old 06-13-2006, 01:28 PM   #11
Seadoo

Default well....

if possible when lanching i have always found that you should have a rope tied to the boat and pull it to the dock.
Seadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #12
Captain Zipper

Default Rope

A rope is something that you tie to a tree and hang yourself with.

A "line" is something you tie to a boat. And I suggest 2 lines; one bow, one stern.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:39 PM   #13
Seadoo

Default well...

well only someone unhappy w/their life would think a rope is something they hang themself with, it has better uses then that!

and yes a bow and a stern line would be nice but when you are doing it alone you can get away w/one line
Seadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:45 PM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default My thoughts....

I would recomend a rope or line or as I would say a painter when launching the boat. My family has always kept one or two painters about 30 feet long in the boat to use when lauching and retrieving the boat. As far as one on the stern and one on the bow it is all preference. It helps quite a bit and the extra long length is nice.....quite often we never even got wet.....of course most of my experience is with a dock near by.........

painter --- A rope attached to the bow of a boat, used for tying up, as when docking or towing
Old 06-14-2006, 07:19 PM   #15
Captain Zipper

Default Painter

I used to use "painters" but they kept hitting on my wife.

Seaboo, I mentioned the tree hanging because my son and I play hangman a lot, so that's what popped into my head. But now that you have me wondering..........I'll ask my therapist what he thinks of my suicidal tendancies.

I thought I was happy but now I'm not so sure.

With all the love and happiness in my heart,

CZ
Old 06-14-2006, 07:23 PM   #16
Captain Zipper

Default Lines

LI,

Actually I go with both bow and stern lines also, it's habit. Boating in a river/tidal area you really need both. Although I see people using only one.........or none. But usually, if it's none, than I get the camcorder out.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:58 PM   #17
Captain Zipper

Default Pwc

Seadoo said,
"the seadoo rxt is awsome!! VERY FASST.
three seater so it is classified as a boat."

Your driving a "boat" now big guy, their "lines". And if your PWC gets much longer you might want to think about a stern line too.

I'm just jealous, I wish I had one too. You know, maybe THAT'S why I'm so depressed.

But seriously, have fun on your ride.

CZ