Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
dykg

Unhappy A Sad day at Weirs Beach

We are saddened to learn of the passing of Sidney Ames. He was an icon of Weirs Beach and a close friend of our family. We had family members from three generations work at the Half Moon from the early 70s to the 90s. I have very fond memories of my childhood years at Weirs Beach with the Ames family.
He was a fatherlike figure to me and a good man. Weirs Beach will not be the same without him.

My deepest condolences to the Ames family.

David Young

The Young and Thompson Family

http://www.legacy.com/BostonGlobe/De...onId=123518611
dykg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
Irish mist

Sorry to hear this. I remember Sid & his family well.
________
Mazda G Platform History

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

From the Laconia Citizen
Quote:
Sidney E. Ames
LACONIA ; Sidney E. Ames, 92, an icon of the summer resort community of Weirs Beach, died Jan. 29, 2009.

Since 1950, Mr. Ames had owned the Half Moon, a summer business located opposite the boardwalk in the center of Weirs Beach. Several generations of vacation-goers have frequented the Half Moon Amusement Arcades as well as the other summer businesses operated by Mr. Ames.

For more than a half-century, Mr. Ames played a key role in the development of Weirs Beach. In 1956, he was responsible for the construction of the famous, illuminated Weirs Beach arrow sign that points the way to Lakeside Avenue, the main street of Weirs Beach. Mr. Ames was also responsible for greatly expanding car parking in Weirs Beach, both public and private. He worked with the City of Laconia to add parking meters in 1956 and later to refine its parking regulations while he also built two large parking lots.

Mr. Ames headed the Weirs Beach fireworks for many years and was active in the Weirs Beach Chamber, the Laconia Chamber, and the Weirs Action Committee.

Mr. Ames was also a builder and renovator. He built the Half Moon Penny Arcade, Pizza, and Bumper Car buildings, the Half Moon Motel, a branch bank building, and two private homes. He renovated all 20 of the original Half Moon Cottages, as well as the Winnipesaukee Marketplace, Romeo's Balcony, and Clyde House. He transformed the former Half Moon Restaurant, Snack Bar and Bowling Alley into the Half Moon Gift, Jewelry and Beach Shops and a Family Fun Center.

Mr. Ames worked continuously and vigorously at his Half Moon business until the age of 91.

He was born June 2, 1916, in Bangor, Maine, the only child of Samuel Ames and Frances "Fannie" Ames (Raichlen). His father worked in a knitting mill. When he was six-years-old, the family moved to the Bronx, N.Y., where his mother opened a candy store. At age 9, the family returned to Bangor where his father opened a pool hall. At age 14, the family moved to Orono, Maine, and opened a bowling alley. In 1935, the family opened a summer arcade business in Old Orchard Beach, Maine, which continued until 1950.

Mr. Ames graduated from high school in Orono and then attended the University of Maine there, obtaining his bachelor's degree in 1938. Looking for work in New York City and unable to find any, he traveled to Miami and found a winter job there as a shipping clerk. This was the beginning of his long-time practice of wintering in Miami where he maintained many close friendships over the years.

In early 1942, Mr. Ames enlisted in the Navy, and was inducted on May 1 as a Seaman First Class. A college graduate, he did not undergo basic training but, instead, was immediately transported to the Caribbean via a train from Boston and a vessel from Norfolk, Va. Shortly after arriving in San Juan, Puerto Rico, he volunteered for assignment to the RPIO (Registered Publications Issuing Office) there. Mr. Ames served at the San Juan RPIO through the summer of 1944. He then received a commission, becoming an Ensign. During the fall of 1944, he attended officer's school in Hollywood, Fla. That winter, he attended Naval Training School at Harvard University, where he studied Communications. In April 1945, he was transferred to the RPIO in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, where he served during the remainder of the War.

In 1947, at a dance at Temple Israel in Boston, he met his future wife, Lillian, and they were married on Jan. 8, 1948. Their marriage endured 60 years before Lillian predeceased him on Sept. 14, 2008.

Mr. Ames was a long-time member of the Masons, the Shriners, and of Temple B'nai Israel of Laconia. He was a great dancer, and loved to golf.

Mr. Ames is survived by his sons, S. Jeffrey Ames and H. Michael Ames of Weirs Beach; his son, Robert Ames, and daughter-in-law Gail Ames of Newton, Mass.; his daughter, Victoria Witt of New York, N.Y.; three grandchildren, Sheryl Ames, Lydia Ames and Winter Ames; and nieces, nephews, and many friends in Florida.
Our heartfelt condolences to Boardwalk Bluesboy, fellow forumite and son of Sidney.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
RLW

My deepest condolences to the Ames family and friends.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
Channel Pirate

He did a good job while he was here.
God Bless
Channel Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Silver Duck

My deepest condolences to the Ames family. His passing brings the end of an era at Weirs Beach.

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
kayakn

Our deepest sympathy to the Ames family.
kayakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
fishdc

What a wonderful man and a great legacy he left us all. God Bless his family and you have my deepest sympathies. My family enjoys going to the half moon arcade every summer, thanks to a person like him.
fishdc is offline   Reply With Quote