Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
dt5150

Unhappy Laconia Paving Projects

i apologize in advance here, this is going to be a gripe post. perhaps others may feel the same way. i have no paving experience so i don't know anything about paving, just a motorist's perspective.

is it me, or do all of the paving projects in laconia seem to take forever to complete? they take waaaay longer than they should. for example, the project at the main intersection of union/court st. and north main, right near downtown. busby has been working on this for months.. they dig it up and fill it in, then dig it up again and fill it in. again and again again. they did the same thing on court st. not too long ago. they seem to repeat their work over and over again, taking months to complete a job that could or should be finished in weeks or in some cases days for small projects.

look at the job over by fratello's in lakeport. they've been there all summer! and they're still not done. it's not even an active job site currently. it's just a bumpy half finished mess. which seems to be another one of their signatures.. leaving a bumpy mess behind. i can understand it not being as smooth as glass while they're actively working the site, they're not finished yet. but these guys leave humps and dips in the road that would rival the moguls at waterville valley.

in comparison, i've traveled south on rt. 106 a few times in the last couple weeks. another paving company, weaver or something like that, was doing a pretty big job just south of the race track. they had a relatively flat and smooth gravel/dirt driving surface even during the job, and it appears that they finished the job in only a couple weeks or so, and the job was 5 times the size of the ones busby is doing in laconia.

another thing i noticed is that busby always seems to get the jobs in laconia... makes me curious if there is some sort of back scratching going on between them and the city somehow.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
Phantom

come to MA if you think it's bad.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #3
thebix

Default Utility Infrastructure

Before the street is rebuilt and paved every and each utility /water / sewer underground is being updated / repaired. Its not the paving company digging and filling, its each utility. No new smooth pavement until ALL the utility work is complete.
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #4
Tank151

The road construction on Union Ave by Elm Street is taking FOREVER! I drove by three straight days and NO activity. Winter is around the corner (ssshhh).
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
Trail Goer

Most local municipalities will have a project page located somewhere on their website and if its a state project, NH has the same feature too.
See the link for what you are looking for. https://www.laconianh.gov/846/Project-Updates
Trail Goer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trail Goer For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (08-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #6
rsmlp

Default just another bitch post

in the Winni forum. they never end.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #7
dt5150

apparently you don't or can't see the irony in yours
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dt5150 For This Useful Post:
Phantom (08-14-2019), Tank151 (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 09:32 AM   #8
bigdog

I'll take a wild guess when paving will resume on Union St.....Labor Day Weekend !
Opppps I'm thinking like city administrator !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdog For This Useful Post:
Tank151 (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I'll take a wild guess when paving will resume on Union St.....Labor Day Weekend !
Opppps I'm thinking like city administrator !
Well Labor Day Weekend is only 8 days from now.....
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #10
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Once the city or state contracts out a paving project to a private contractor the schedule is set by the contractor not the municipality. The only schedule set by the municipality is if they are allowed to work day or night and holidays which is predetermined in the contract. Blame the contractor for the pace. I know this from 30 years experience in the industry

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #11
Tank151

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Once the city or state contracts out a paving project to a private contractor the schedule is set by the contractor not the municipality. The only schedule set by the municipality is if they are allowed to work day or night and holidays which is predetermined in the contract. Blame the contractor for the pace. I know this from 30 years experience in the industry

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
It's terrible scheduling coordination by the project manager - I've been in the industry > 40 years owning a construction business.
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote