Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2015, 12:40 PM   #1
That Guy

Default Suggestions for an indoor plant.

Once a week I volunteer at the local old folks home. I routinely see the same guy. He's awesome to talk to. Poor guy hasn't had anyone else other than me visit in over two months. He recently talked about how he missed gardening. Well, I was going to pick up a small plant for his room (I already cleared it with the staff there). Any suggestions for a plant? Something small that can go on an end table. Something that grows a fruit or something would be neat, but not necessary. Something he can take care of and watch grow. But nothing too overbearing that could make his room look like deleted scene from Jumanji.

Thanks.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Once a week I volunteer at the local old folks home. I routinely see the same guy. He's awesome to talk to. Poor guy hasn't had anyone else other than me visit in over two months. He recently talked about how he missed gardening. Well, I was going to pick up a small plant for his room (I already cleared it with the staff there). Any suggestions for a plant? Something small that can go on an end table. Something that grows a fruit or something would be neat, but not necessary. Something he can take care of and watch grow. But nothing too overbearing that could make his room look like deleted scene from Jumanji.

Thanks.
Philodendron
Orchid
Sanserveria
Spider Plant
Kalanchoe
African Violet
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
MeredithMan

Default ch..ch...chia....

chia pet....
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
trfour

That Guy, I posted your post on Facebook... In the meantime, here's a link... http://www.bing.com/search?q=indoor+...conversationid=

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
Patiently Watching

They have a great selection of potted succulents at Spider Web Gardens in Tuftonboro that are pretty low maintenance and fun for an indoor garden.
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2015, 02:06 PM   #6
That Guy

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm driving by Spiderweb on Saturday. I'll swing in and see what they have on hand.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:40 PM   #7
Jersey Ed

If the "home" has a gift shop, they may have plants that will do well in a room. Something else to think about would letting him start a plant from seeds.
Jersey Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #8
HellRaZoR004

I don't have any good suggestions but wanted to take the moment and thank you. What you're doing is awesome and is going to leave a lasting impression.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
Jersey Ed (06-18-2015), That Guy (06-18-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 03:55 PM   #9
Jersey Ed

If this gentleman is capable, could he help in the homes outdoor gardens? [If they have them] Perhaps if we knew more about this person we could offer better advice. This is a wonderful and very thoughtful thing you are doing for him.
Jersey Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #10
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
I don't have any good suggestions but wanted to take the moment and thank you. What you're doing is awesome and is going to leave a lasting impression.
Thanks man. Been doing it for almost four months now. Its tough seeing some of the folks in there. Few of them are totally catatonic. Its even sadder to see the significant others show up and they don't even know how they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Ed View Post
If this gentleman is capable, could he help in the homes outdoor gardens? [If they have them] Perhaps if we knew more about this person we could offer better advice. This is a wonderful and very thoughtful thing you are doing for him.
He can walk, slowly. He's always in a wheelchair though. Not the best balance. Doesn't have much family though. It has to be tough because his roommate has a room full of drawings and pictures. I mean, its loaded. The guy I'm with has his Navy discharge papers framed. That's it. I can tell the highlight of his week is me walking in. I tried to spend time with four other guys, but three don't want to have anything to do with me. One had a serious head injury so its touch and go when I see him. Sometimes he can be aggressive, other times he's wonderful.

I figure a small plant he can tend to and putting a bird house outside would give him something to enjoy.

Volunteering there has definitely given me a new perspective. Its a terrific feeling and its only an hour a week. Something I think everyone should do at some point in their lives. I literally walk him outside and sit on a park bench. Sometimes we barely say anything. Other times we can't stop laughing. Its so simple.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to That Guy For This Useful Post:
beantownbaby (06-18-2015), Jersey Ed (06-19-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
dickiej

There's a special place in heaven for people like you. My wife and I work with the elderly and we find that isolation is the worst thing for anyone at any age, particularly the elderly. It may take a while to get them started, but most elderly people love to have someone to chat with. I have a patient who is 94, lives alone, and flew 29 bombing missions in WWII over France and Germany. He is sharp as a tack, and last time I was at his house, he took out his scrap books and showed me photos that would just blow your mind. He told me stories about the war and flying missions and by the time I left, we were both practically in tears.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
That Guy (06-18-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 07:24 PM   #12
That Guy

I've tried twice to see what this fella did and I won't do it again. He walked off the boat and had people spitting on him calling him a baby killer. His wife and two kids left. His house was ransacked. He has no idea what happened to his dog. All I know he was in the Navy and served in Vietnam. He was harassed for years.