Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default Bald Eagle in Wolfeboro.

I just saw a Bald Eagle fly over my head and land at the town docks in Wolfeboro. So I threw my shovel down and tried to get to the truck where my camera was. I was going to drive over but then saw him take off and fly around to a tree on Seawall road. My camera doesn't zoom that far, so no pic. Took a couple, that I will try to zoom in on when I get home this afternoon. But I doubt it is going to show up. The Eagle landed in a tree at a house that has is under some construction. which surprised me that it would land in a noisy area like that. Anyway it was pretty cool seeing it. It was fairly big with a very white head on it.

Here is the only photo I got of it...Sorry not good at all. Too far away. But hey at least ya know I wasn't lying.....It is smack dab in the middle of the photo...If you squint and get really close to your monitor you'll see it. Really. It is there. Trust me.

Last edited by Lakesrider; 01-19-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
GFP (01-19-2011), Just Sold (01-21-2011), Lucky1 (02-01-2011), Pepper (01-19-2011), Rattlesnake Gal (01-31-2011), Resident 2B (01-21-2011), Sunset Bob (01-20-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Good job! It's always very exciting to spot one and right now they are thriving here in the Lakes Region.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Just Sold

Default Got Pics of an Eagle Today

We were having lunch in the car at Lincoln Park in Gilford today and I could see a dark colored bird sitting on the snowice quite a ways out and near a Bob House. It even took off once and circled and landed back on the snow/ice in the same place.

Well low and behold it took off again and landed in a tree very near us. I carefully got out of the car and took these photos. It obviously is a young Bald Eagle just getting their white feathers. It was very high up in a tree. I am not sure what he had in his claw as I could not see it from the ground and the camera view finder is rather small.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
christo1 (01-31-2011), Lakesrider (01-31-2011), Senter Cove Guy (01-31-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Awesome to see eh? I can;t wait until i get a really good picture of one to add to my collection. Nice job!
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Winni Wildlife

It really is great to be treated to some of our spectacular Winnipesaukee Wildlife!

Just Sold, that picture looks a bit fishy to me! Glad to see that they don't run out of food in the winter in our Lakes Region.
(See story below for why I say that.)

Would you step in if our eagles were hungry or would you let Mother Nature take it's course?

An interesting story that is going around via e-mail that is worth sharing:

Feeding the Eagles

The actual location is unclear - Comox, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada, Haines, Alaska or Alton, Illinois. Regardless, the pictures are amazing!

In January, the weather stayed so cold that the bald eagles were cruising over our houses looking for helpless cats to make a quick meal. They could not access fish that were at the bottom of the river and had gathered together.

Some kind souls decided to feed the eagles down at Goose Spit (Comox, BC) so they would survive the cold spell. They gathered fish and started feeding the group of eagles huddled on the shore.

The photos below show what happened. A former teaching colleague took these photos in front of his home. Incredible!

A beautiful morning feeding the eagles, January 2010

Once we started throwing out fish, they did not seem to fear us and word spread fast!

Eagles fighting for the fish. January 2010

No zoom lens used here! I was this close!

Here are the men who were feeding them. It was so amazing to get this close!

It was not too long ago that the American Bald Eagle was an endangered species.

A compilation of impressive eagle pictures from YouTube:
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
beagle (02-01-2011), Grant (02-04-2011), Jonas Pilot (01-31-2011), Just Sold (01-31-2011), Lakesrider (02-02-2011), Lucy Goose (02-03-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Eagle and Fish LSP December 2010

Our park Manager caught this one in December. We see this particular bird when the mouth of the marina is still "open". Good fishing spot I guess?

Name:  Eagle & Fish 12-2010.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  116.5 KB
Old 02-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
Merrymeeting

It does seem hard to believe, and we have a long way to go in NH before we reach this point, but I understand that in some parts of Alaska, they have become so numerous that they are becoming a nuisance.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default The real story on the eagles

Seems these photo's have been around. The pictures are real.

Snopes has, as Paul Harvey used to say, The Rest of the Story

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/feedingeagles.asp

In the article you can "click" thru to the story of the Eagle Lady.
trfour (02-02-2011), upthesaukee (02-02-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #9
Lucy Goose

I was leaving the lakes the other day to go home to southern NH. On my way home I saw two bald eagles flying together over the Merrimack in Manchester. I am so glad they are coming back in numbers. They are my favorite bird. I've witnessed them up close and they are just amazing. I have some pics but would have to dig through.

Lucy Goose
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote