Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
Sunrise Point

Default Snow blower tune-up?

I have a 20 year old Toro snow blower that is in need of a tune up. Does anyone have a recommendation of where I could bring it? We are in Meredith and would like to bring it to a local shop.

Thanks!
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
dpg

Forget the name off hand but heading from Meredith into Moultonborough there's a place on your right on rt 25. Not sure if that's local enough. Can't miss him always has mowers and machines sitting out front.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Repair shop on 25 in Moultonborough is Mark Richter Repair, 603.476.2606.

Mark has worked on my machines in the past. He takes care of all of the Mboro Snowmobile Club equipment as well and is great to deal with.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (02-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
fatlazyless

He does real good work, and he is real expensive. Last time there, about 18-months ago, it was $50/hour plus parts of course, so expect to pay at least $maybe 65 or more, maybe $115....what with a new quart of 10-30 oil, hit all grease fittings with a grease gun, and fill the angle gear, gear oil screw grease opening in the middle of the snow augers w/ 90w grease, and a new spark plug.

Save yourself the money and go to Lowe's and poke around their sno-thro repair items shelves and ask the sales people any questions. Tuning up a sno-thro is pretty easy stuff, and Toro is probably the #1 best made brand....especially old Toros....

Here's a tip: roll the machine forward on its front, and unscrew the 12" x 16" steel plate that covers the bottom, and take a good look at the 4" round & flat steel friction plate, and how it operates with the handle control....this is the key transfer of movement item in the machine....it transfers power from the engine shaft to the drive wheels in forward and reverse....and it needs to be clean of oil or grease since it is a friction plate/rubber surfaced wheel transfer....plus should probably put some more air into the tires...

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-18-2010 at 09:11 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Water Camper

Default Lakeport Power Equipment

Let me recommend Lakeport Power Equipment in Laconia. Keinan is a one man shop, but very thorough. He specializes in small engine repair. I have used him for my lawnmower, chainsaw, and snowblower. They are all running excellantly. He can be reached at tel # 527-0940. Tell him I referred you.

Hope this helps,
Bill Poulin
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
RLW

Smile

Most service centers that do repair/tuneups as specialties run about $115 to $125 for a good tuneup on a snow blower.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
fatlazyless

Here's what you need to do a sno-thro tune-up:

one new sparkplug...............2.50

one quart 10w-30 oil..............1.99

grease gun w/grease............?.......go borrow your neighbor's

maybe 1/8 of a quart 90w gear oil, same as per outboard motor gear case
price 1.99/qt......again maybe borrow your neighbor's

inflate tires.........................not much

some gasoline, a shot of carburetor cleaner, & it is good-to-go.....

next big major SNOW STORM........El Toro!
Old 11-21-2010, 07:26 AM   #8
RLW

You forgot the most important thing. Carburetor adjustments. How many know how to do that??? Maybe we can go and ask one of our neighbors to that for us.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
Sunrise Point

Thanks for the names and numbers. I think that a carburator adjustment is definitely needed in this case. I don't mind spending $$$ for a professional job. I know my way around a spark plug and oil change, but the fine adjustments are beyond me.

FLL thanks for the info on the power transfer.

Hopefully, we can drop this off next weekend and have it back before the snow flies!

Thanks again...
Old 11-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
RLW

Smile Check out FLL repairing/tuneup shop

FLL, I think you should give up on the driving vehicles for a job and take up repairing/tuning up snowblowers. Between your knowledge and your neighbors you should be able to make some real quick money. FLL and neighbor doing the money making dance
Old 11-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #11
dpg

Don't be as cheap as Less and just bring it to one of the places mentioned...
Old 11-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #12
tummyman

Default Use Stabil !!

With all the ethanol in gas now, the older machines do not run as well. I am using marine Stabil...the purple color, not the red, in every machine I own....lawnmower, snowblower, outboards, chain saw, weed whackers, leaf blowers, etc. The purple Stabil has more corrosion fighting additives vs. the pink. It costs about $20-25 for a quart that will treat up to 320 gallons of gas. I put it in the portable gas cans before I go to the gas stations, so I always know any gas I have has the Stabil already in it. In my opinion, you cannot do anything better. Helps clean the system continuously as well. At a cost of $.06-.08 cents per gallon, it pays in the long run by saving repairs caused by ethanol. Small engine shops recommend it.....
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (02-18-2014), minni on winni (02-17-2014), Sunrise Point (11-22-2010), surfnsnow (02-16-2014)
Old 11-23-2010, 07:40 AM   #13
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
With all the ethanol in gas now, the older machines do not run as well. I am using marine Stabil...the purple color, not the red, in every machine I own....lawnmower, snowblower, outboards, chain saw, weed whackers, leaf blowers, etc. The purple Stabil has more corrosion fighting additives vs. the pink. It costs about $20-25 for a quart that will treat up to 320 gallons of gas. I put it in the portable gas cans before I go to the gas stations, so I always know any gas I have has the Stabil already in it. In my opinion, you cannot do anything better. Helps clean the system continuously as well. At a cost of $.06-.08 cents per gallon, it pays in the long run by saving repairs caused by ethanol. Small engine shops recommend it.....
I have been told by more than one small engine shop to use Stabil in everything. So like you, I add Stabil to all my portable gas cans before I fill them. Be sure to read the label on the Stabil to get the proper amount, as there is a big difference in the amount you use when you are storing a piece of equipment long term, or going to use the gas right away.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Snapper

I have a Snapper lawn mower and snow blower. Both pushing 30 years old. I opt for the 2 cycle lawn mower because of the hilly terrain. I spend 4 hours a week mowing the lawn during season. The snow blower does a fantastic job of keeping a driveway over 100 feet double wide open during the season. And occasionally do the neighbors when they are away.

Both have original parts except for the blades on the lawn mower and shear pins on the snowblower.

Rarely do I require professional service. The owner's manual gives detailed instructions on required maintenance and I follow them.

One thing I do differently is to drain the gas tank at the end of the season and run the machine dry. The spare gas is used in the other machine. No waste. The shop owners keep telling me it is a bad idea to drain the gas because the rubber tubes and the gaskets in the carb gets brittle. Never had the problem. Maybe the MMO keeps them supple?

I do have a Toro snothrow that is 10 years old. Used it twice. I like the Snapper better. easier to start and manuever. The Toro chute gets clogged. Been keeping it as backup.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #15
fatlazyless

Am pretty sure that when Michael Dukakis ran for president in November 1998 or 1999, he had a political campaign ad that featured his very old Craftsman snowblower. It was something like a 1960's model that he purchased new in the late 1960's or so and stored it in his little one car garage, and had been using it every winter for the driveway-sidewalks at his house in Brookline, Mass.

The intended message was he was fiscally conservative and not a big spending politician.....my type of guy......right-o....or something!

For the record, I have two snow-thros: one is an old Toro 3-hp two stage, and the other is a newer Craftsman 7 or 8hp two-stage that I just bought a week ago for $240.

Winter........bring it on!

Somewhere in Maine, someone has created a snowblower museum in a barn or something next to their home, and has collected a lot of various old snowblowers. Tried to find a website for it but no dice....?
Old 11-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #16
Sunrise Point

Thumbs up Great Job Keinan!

We just had our snowblower tuned up and repaired by Keinan Martin of Lakeport Power Equipment. It now runs beautifully. He offers pick up and delivery, very reasonable prices and prompt service. If you need any small engine work done, I highly recommend him.

Keinan Martin
Lakeport Power Equipment
527-0940

Thank you Water Camper for recommending him to us.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunrise Point For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (02-18-2014), VitaBene (11-27-2010)
Old 11-29-2010, 07:36 AM   #17
Belmont Resident

Default Belmont Hardware 603-267-8510

These guys have rebuilt carburetors for many of my outdoor power equipment.
You can either bring just the carburetor in or drop off the machine either way.
They also have pick up.
They sell used stuff and offer consignment.
I just bought a brand new chain saw (they sell Dolamar) that made short work out of 4 cords of wood. And I paid a reasonable price for it unlike the 30+ percent markup for buying a Stile or Husky because of the name.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #18
Yosemite Sam

Reading this thread it reminded me that it’s time to get the snow moving equipment out and see if they will start. I have two snow blowers, one is a Honda HS1132 track drive for my driveway and the other one is a small Toro 2 cycle for my deck.

The Toro started and ran perfectly. The Honda started Ok but stalled out after about 2 minutes of running. I couldn’t get it started so I went thru the regular things like checking to see if it is getting a spark, is it out of gas, etc. Everything looked Ok so I had to dig deeper. I checked to see if it was getting fuel to the carburetor and unfortunately it wasn’t….so off comes the float bowl and it didn’t have any gas in it. The float was stuck in the up position not allowing any gas to get into the bowl. I took the float valve out and it had gunk on it which made it stick in the valve seat. I have never had this happen before because I have always put stabil in the fuel that I use. Maybe I got some bad gas just before putting it away for the season. After cleaning both the carburetor and float valve the snow blower started up and ran like a charm.

I’m glad that I found this now and not during the first big snow storm that we will probably get. So I would like to thank Sunrise Point for starting this thread which reminded me to get my snow blowers ready for the winter.

Hey FLL, it didn’t cost me a penny to get my snow blowers running.
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #19
fatlazyless

Geesh....if you were just a little bit smarter, you would have taken it over to Mark Richter's in Moultonborough and paid him a hundred dollars to get it working....
Old 12-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #20
Sunrise Point

Default Everybody is good at something...

FLL,

Getting my snowblower operating smoothly was beyond my abilities and hiring a professional to do the job was money well spent.

There are many things that I am pretty good at, but the older I get, the more I realize that hiring a pro for the jobs that I can't do, is usually the most cost-effective way to get things done.

I am sure that Mark Richter and anyone else who makes his/her living operating a small business would be offended by your last post. I am very glad that there are people like Keinan Martin and other small shop owners, who are there when needed, and I am happy to support them.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #21
Ropetow

Default Sgt. Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Am pretty sure that when Michael Dukakis ran for president in November 1998 or 1999, he had a political campaign ad that featured his very old Craftsman snowblower. It was something like a 1960's model that he purchased new in the late 1960's or so and stored it in his little one car garage, and had been using it every winter for the driveway-sidewalks at his house in Brookline, Mass.

The intended message was he was fiscally conservative and not a big spending politician.....my type of guy......right-o....or something!

This Mike Dukakis????

Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #22
fatlazyless

That is him.....and thanks for the memories.....and is there any chance you can locate a photo of Tax Hike Mike w/ his old Craftsman snowthrower? It was part of a television ad! Back then I was a Massachusetts-Ronald Reagan-Republican.......honest!
Old 12-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #23
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise Point View Post
FLL,

Getting my snowblower operating smoothly was beyond my abilities and hiring a professional to do the job was money well spent.

There are many things that I am pretty good at, but the older I get, the more I realize that hiring a pro for the jobs that I can't do, is usually the most cost-effective way to get things done.

I am sure that Mark Richter and anyone else who makes his/her living operating a small business would be offended by your last post. I am very glad that there are people like Keinan Martin and other small shop owners, who are there when needed, and I am happy to support them.
Glad to hear that you got your snow blower fixed and that you are happy with the results.

I am also "very glad" that the Lakes Region has people like Keinan Martin, Mark Richter, and other small shop owners who are there when we need them.

Again, thanks for starting this thread!
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yosemite Sam For This Useful Post:
Sunrise Point (12-05-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 07:59 AM   #24
Sunrise Point

Thumbs up

We have 8" of snow here in Meredith Center and our 20 year old snowblower started on the first pull. However, once it was into the snow and under load, the auger would stop. A quick phone call to Keinan helped to diagnose the problem as a loose / worn belt. Keinan didn't have the part in his shop but called around and found one for us at NAPA in Lakeport. We picked up the part, swapped it for the worn one (Mr. S.P. is pretty handy himself) and we were good to go.

Again, big thanks to Keinan and all local businesses who are there when you need them.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #25
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Thanks,Ropetow....Hahahahaha...aaaahhh...ahhhhhhh. ..ohhh...I can't breathe.
AAAhahahahahaha......oh,man....He looks like Snoopy.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #26
lawn psycho

Sunrise, FLL advice was right on the money. And it cost you nothing and I think you need to get a little thicker skin.

In many cases, like Yosemite, is even if you pour in fresh gas in the tank you still have stale gas in the carb float bowl.

I use stabil year round in my tanks but in the event your small engine won't start (assuming you have on switch and fuel line in the "ON" position) there is a quick way to get things running.

1. Buy a can of engine starter and spray it in/near the air filter and attempt to start the machine. Sometimes you have to take off the air filter cover to do this. You can also pull the spark plug out, put a small spray of engine starter in the hole and replace the plug and see if it will fire.

If it fires, let the machine run so the old gas can be used up or just drain the tank. If it's only a small amount I usally just put it in my gas can and run it through my car or truck.

2. If the above fails, you can also remove the bottom the the carb bowl (typically only four small screws and takes about 1 minute to do) and spray it heavily with carb cleaner and make sure the floats move freely. Be very liberal with the spray and get it in every nook and cranny. Re-install the carb bowl. You can also combine #1 above when you are ready to try turning it over again.

Often times steps 1 and 2 will get the machine to run.

A can of engine starter and carb cleaner might cost you $5-7 at the local hardware store.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:54 AM   #27
fatlazyless

....have another problem snowblower that seems like it maybe had a catastrophic mechanical-electrical-gas ???? problem yesterday while snowblowing the deep heavy snow left by the town plow.....it is a three year old Troy Bilt 24" $599 snowblow purchased from Lowe's about three years ago and naturally I never-ever buy an extended warranty.....dang-it.......something very bad happened while using it.....it looked like it might be about to burst into flames or something so I moved it to a safe spot and let it cool off.....and thankfully it never caught fire.....it looked like the hot exhaust muffler became soaked with gasoline and was giving off smoky gasoline smoke until the muffler cooled down.....apparently liquid gasoline does not always ignite while the vapors are very flammable....so most likely this machine is a hopeless loss and I will be doing the snow with a shovel for a while

....do not want to take it to Mark Richter in Moultonborough.....very good but also very expensive......do not want to take it to Rand's Hardware....that place is useless for repairs....maybe will take it to the snowblow place in Laconia near Irwin Hyundai......or maybe to Squam lake small engine repair.....got any suggestions for someplace that is good and also el cheapo?????
Old 02-16-2014, 05:27 AM   #28
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default What??????

Quote:
....have another problem snowblower that seems like it maybe had a catastrophic mechanical-electrical-gas ???? problem yesterday while snowblowing the deep heavy snow left by the town plow.....it is a three year old Troy Bilt 24" $599 snowblow purchased from Lowe's about three years ago and naturally I never-ever buy an extended warranty.....dang-it.......something very bad happened while using it.....it looked like it might be about to burst into flames or something so I moved it to a safe spot and let it cool off.....and thankfully it never caught fire.....it looked like the hot exhaust muffler became soaked with gasoline and was giving off smoky gasoline smoke until the muffler cooled down.....apparently liquid gasoline does not always ignite while the vapors are very flammable....so most likely this machine is a hopeless loss and I will be doing the snow with a shovel for a while

....do not want to take it to Mark Richter in Moultonborough.....very good but also very expensive......do not want to take it to Rand's Hardware....that place is useless for repairs....maybe will take it to the snowblow place in Laconia near Irwin Hyundai......or maybe to Squam lake small engine repair.....got any suggestions for someplace that is good and also el cheapo?????
Not going to return it????? It is only 3 yrs old??? and for such a loyal customer, I am sure they will accommodate you.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #29
Water Camper

Default Lakeport Power Equipment

Contact Keinan Martin over at Lakeport Power Equipment in Laconia, tel # 527-0940. He will also do pickup and delivery.

I use Lakeport Power Equipment for all of my small engine work, lawnmowers, both push and rider, snow blower etc. He is an excellent mechanic and very fair.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #30
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:

I bought the same Troy Built 24" to play around with this winter. Paid under $500 after coupon and discount. So far so good, she did well the last few storms. Maybe I'll get that warranty, still a few days to decide!
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #31
ITD

Quote:

Loose/leaking gas cap???? Sounds like it may be operator error Less.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #32
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise Point View Post
I have a 20 year old Toro snow blower that is in need of a tune up. Does anyone have a recommendation of where I could bring it? We are in Meredith and would like to bring it to a local shop.

Thanks!
Anything can be fixed for a price.
And if this item is in mint condition might be well worth it.
But 20 years old. Might be time to think about a new one.
Ethanol is screwing up the fuel systems and fuel lines and fuel fittings on all.

Piece of advice.
Purchase gasoline with zero ethanol.
One of the marine places in the Weirs sells fuel without ethanol.
The local airports sell fuel without ethanol. Don't want those airplanes getting all screwed up with ethanol. OK for our cars, trucks, and small engines to get screwed up.

Most big box stores and most small engine shops sell ethanol free gas in small cans also.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #33
Rusty

Quote:

It might be that the fuel in the gas bowl isn't shutting off and over flowing because the carb inlet needle isn't working right. It will also fill your crankcase full of gas and could cause it to hydraulically lock when you first try to start it.
Did you take the carb bowl off and check it out?
Old 02-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #34
uglytunasaloona

Default Thumbs Up For Lakeport Power

I have used them twice. First time for a balky ice auger. Runs like a charm. I had him tune up my 18 year old honda snow blower before the winter and it has been running like it was brand new. Great customer service.

Spring time will be a 25 year old chain saw and a young 10 year old lawn mower.
uglytunasaloona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #35
AmantiDelLago

Default Sea Foam

If the carb is gummed up try some Sea Foam. I find that it works great. Use a heavy concentration of it and it cleans dirty carbs out. It's available at most auto parts stores and places like Walmart..... red and white can.
AmantiDelLago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #36
NoBozo

I have a Craftsman snow blower. AKA Cub Cadet..AKA .... Most of them are made by ...MTD. Anyhow: A couple of years ago I was having a problem with my one year old Craftsman blower that "looked like" an ethanol problem. The Cub Cadet dealer predicted a $300 bill to pull the Carb and fix the problem.

He then suggested that I try some Non Ethanol Stuff by Stihl (Of Chain Saw Fame) called "MotoMix". The can is 32 Fl Oz..92 Octane...No Ethanol.. Cost $8.00..... That's $32/gallon.) NOT CHEAP. My problem went away and I have been using this stuff exclusively ever since. The shelf life is over two years..unlike Ethanol.

My snow blower use in Rhode Island is limited....Not so much snow as up north. Justification for this cost is.........a balancing act....I don't have to worry about the .."Doubt" about..Will Ethanol CLOG up my machine.

The alternative is: Use Ethanol during the snow season and then wind up with.. and STORE the machine with "MotoMix". NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:00 AM   #37
Happy Gourmand

I think somebody mentioned that some marinas sell non ethanol gas. I wonder if you could just get your 5 gallon tanks filled there. I put Stabil in my tanks before I fill them, knock on wood, and have never had a problem.
But back to FLL's snowblower issue, does anybody else agree that it might just be the nut behind the handlebars is a little loose??
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #38
SIKSUKR

My Craftsman has been "surging" or as its called "hunting" all season. I finally pulled the carb yesterday and clean out many orifices on the jets. Just reinstalled it during my lunch hour and presto....Runs beautiful.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #39
HellRaZoR004

What I've found works well is turn off the gas line and run the engine dry. No issues at all.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #40
EllyPoinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
What I've found works well is turn off the gas line and run the engine dry. No issues at all.
Yeah, but then siphon as much of the remaining gas in the tank as you can so you can start with fresh fuel the next season. I do this with all my small engine tools - generator, weed wacker, leaf blower, etc.
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #41
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyPoinster View Post
Yeah, but then siphon as much of the remaining gas in the tank as you can so you can start with fresh fuel the next season. I do this with all my small engine tools - generator, weed wacker, leaf blower, etc.
Good point. My post was more aimed at each time you shut the engine off.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #42
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
That's good advice. Running the engine out of gas doesn't run the Gas Tank out of gas. You still need to drain the gas tank...that's an excellent place for old ethanol to turn into "Gel/Goop". NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #43
SIKSUKR

What I found rather dumb is that on my snowblower carb bowl I have one of those spring loaded fuel dumper things but no shut off on the fuel line. Kind of useless unless you run out out of fuel at just the right time. I'm going to install an inline shut off.
Another update: I had such great success on my snowblower I went to work on my pressure washer. I had a little different carb issue as it would start and immediately stall. I pulled the carb this morning and recleaned all the ports but they seemed fine. What I found was the bowl gasket was junk which didn't allow the fuel to be sucked up cuz of the leak around the seal. It wouldn't leak fuel out of the bowl because the float worked fine and stopped the bowl from overfilling but air leaking through that gasket would not let the carb pull up the fuel. Just an FYI for you tinkerers as this one had frustrated me for a while. Runs like a champ now. 2 for 2 in 2 days!
Old 02-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #44
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
What I found rather dumb is that on my snowblower carb bowl I have one of those spring loaded fuel dumper things but no shut off on the fuel line. Kind of useless unless you run out out of fuel at just the right time. I'm going to install an inline shut off.
Another update: I had such great success on my snowblower I went to work on my pressure washer. I had a little different carb issue as it would start and immediately stall. I pulled the carb this morning and recleaned all the ports but they seemed fine. What I found was the bowl gasket was junk which didn't allow the fuel to be sucked up cuz of the leak around the seal. It wouldn't leak fuel out of the bowl because the float worked fine and stopped the bowl from overfilling but air leaking through that gasket would not let the carb pull up the fuel. Just an FYI for you tinkerers as this one had frustrated me for a while. Runs like a champ now. 2 for 2 in 2 days!
You've figured out the secret to solving about 90% of small engine problems. Keep in mind that you can buy rebuild kits for most carbs that will replace jets, inlet valves, gaskets and other parts. They are usually cheap and can solve problems cleaning won't. (such as corroded jets or rotted gaskets.)
Old 02-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #45
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Good job!

Here is a hint for people who work on their carb:

When you put the Bowl back on the carburetor, make sure that it is put on so that the deepest part of the bowl goes opposite the pin that holds the float on. If you put it on wrong the float won't work correctly.
Here is a video where I started it where the guy explains how to put the bowl on correctly.

http://youtu.be/cvkF9QQmtQ0?t=13m19s
Old 02-19-2014, 07:29 AM   #46
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
That's good advice. Running the engine out of gas doesn't run the Gas Tank out of gas. You still need to drain the gas tank...that's an excellent place for old ethanol to turn into "Gel/Goop". NB
I run everything out of gas at the end of their seasons been doing it well, forever. It does empty my tanks or if their is just a hair on the bottom leave the cap off a couple days and it will evaporate.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:10 AM   #47
fatlazyless

.....hurray.....the magic snowblow fairy must have visited my snowblower overnight or something.....because the next morning it started right up and worked like a champ.....all I did was fill the gas and pour a little mystery oil in with the gas....and it worked perfect....what-a-machine....the Lowe's Troy-Bilt 24" $599 snowblower.......the greatest snowblower ever ever ever! .....it starts....it runs....its works and it weighs about 150-lbs so it is light enough for me to muscle it around various steps and narrow paths....

.....hey....this latest snow fall was like ten inches of magic light fluffy snow.....very easy to snowblow......even the heavy stuff left by the town plow was easy to do.....vivre le winter with Team Troy-Bilt!

.... I obviously have no clue what went wrong before but now the machine starts and works good!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #48
Wolfeboro_Baja

FLL, I wonder if your original problem with this snow blower involved the carb choke? It sounds like it may have been running a little too rich and the excess gas was collecting in the muffler. I presume you had to choke it to do a cold start but I wonder if you didn't get the choke fully open once you began using the machine? Just my .02 cents.

Here's another .02 cents; next time, buy an Ariens Sno-Thro! I've been using them for over 40 yrs and I've never had a complaint. THE BEST snow blower ever and it's made in America!

Also, whatever you buy, don't buy from Lowe's or Home Depot, buy from a real small equipment dealer. It seems like Lowe's and HD sell a lower grade variation of the brand names we're all familiar with.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #49
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
Here's another .02 cents; next time, buy an Ariens Sno-Thro! I've been using them for over 40 yrs and I've never had a complaint. THE BEST snow blower ever and it's made in America!

Also, whatever you buy, don't buy from Lowe's or Home Depot, buy from a real small equipment dealer. It seems like Lowe's and HD sell a lower grade variation of the brand names we're all familiar with.
Excellent advice. Purchase from a place that repairs them.

SEARS.
All of Sears snow blowers have engines that are made in China. Sears made a deal with Briggs & Stratton for these "special" engines. Good luck with any parts or repairs.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #50
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
FLL, I wonder if your original problem with this snow blower involved the carb choke? It sounds like it may have been running a little too rich and the excess gas was collecting in the muffler. I presume you had to choke it to do a cold start but I wonder if you didn't get the choke fully open once you began using the machine? Just my .02 cents.

I bought an Ariens snowblower in 1974. Had it serviced "once in a while", maybe 3 or 4 times while I had it. Around 1995 or so, the carburetor got a bit gummed up so I had it rebuilt. In 2008, trying to start it, the pull rope broke. 34 years and that was the first time it failed me. I went out and bought a new machine that day (another Ariens) and gave my 1974 model to my son's inlaws. It is still going strong. My old one and my new one have Tecumseh engines, probably the factor that set them apart from other machines. Tecumseh has since gone out of business. I bought both from a dealer who fixes them...Nashua Outdoor Power Equipment. If my new one lasts 34 years, I won't have to worry about replacing it until I'm 97 years old!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #51
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
I bought an Ariens snowblower in 1974. Had it serviced "once in a while", maybe 3 or 4 times while I had it. Around 1995 or so, the carburetor got a bit gummed up so I had it rebuilt. In 2008, trying to start it, the pull rope broke. 34 years and that was the first time it failed me. I went out and bought a new machine that day (another Ariens) and gave my 1974 model to my son's inlaws. It is still going strong. My old one and my new one have Tecumseh engines, probably the factor that set them apart from other machines. Tecumseh has since gone out of business. I bought both from a dealer who fixes them...Nashua Outdoor Power Equipment. If my new one lasts 34 years, I won't have to worry about replacing it until I'm 97 years old!!!
Tecumseh is still in business, they just stopped making small engines. Their main business was always refrigerator compressors. They got their pants sued off by an engineer who figured out that their horsepower ratings were inflated. It was pretty large settlement sounded like the last straw for them. If you notice now many motors don't use hp ratings now, they list gross torque. Part of the issue with HP ratings, (and I'm sure torque ratings too) is that atmospheric pressure can affect output. Atmospheric pressure can be a function of altitude, temperature and weather. There is also a variation in manufacturing that can cause differences. This guy got a lot of money, I think he should have just got a refund for his engine. Part of the problem with the litigious society we live in with most of our legislators coming from the law field.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Happy Gourmand (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #52
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Tecumseh is still in business, they just stopped making small engines. Their main business was always refrigerator compressors. They got their pants sued off by an engineer who figured out that their horsepower ratings were inflated. It was pretty large settlement sounded like the last straw for them. If you notice now many motors don't use hp ratings now, they list gross torque. Part of the issue with HP ratings, (and I'm sure torque ratings too) is that atmospheric pressure can affect output. Atmospheric pressure can be a function of altitude, temperature and weather. There is also a variation in manufacturing that can cause differences. This guy got a lot of money, I think he should have just got a refund for his engine. Part of the problem with the litigious society we live in with most of our legislators coming from the law field.
Thanks for the correction/clarification. A friend recently asked me to help her purchase a snowblower. I told her thet the only one I know of that used Tecumseh engines is Ariens. The salesperson told us that Tecumseh was out of business, but I must have misunderstood him. All they had left for Ariens was the 32 or 36" wide models, way too much for her to handle. On their recommendation, she ended up with a Simplicity machine that has performed flawlessly so far, and she's had a chance to use it a lot this year!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #53
chipj29

Quote:

This is not always true, as is the case with the Ariens snowblowers. They are the same from what I was told. The small engine shop that I go to sells Ariens. He told me they are the same as the ones sold at HD. The big difference is that when he does warranty work, he does the work on the machines that he sells first. But it at HD/Lowes and you end up at the bottom of the list, and it may take quite a bit of time to get it fixed.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #54
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
This is not always true, as is the case with the Ariens snowblowers. They are the same from what I was told. The small engine shop that I go to sells Ariens. He told me they are the same as the ones sold at HD. The big difference is that when he does warranty work, he does the work on the machines that he sells first. But it at HD/Lowes and you end up at the bottom of the list, and it may take quite a bit of time to get it fixed.
Exactly correct. If the part numbers match, then the machines are exactly the same. If service matters, buy from a local shop that repairs them. It will make a difference when you have a problem you need addressed quickly.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #55
SIKSUKR

I recently inquired about buying a new Ariens. HD had the exact same model numbers and technical numbers. They are the same. What did surprise me is my local dealer (Stills) had almost the same price.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #56
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
SEARS.
All of Sears snow blowers have engines that are made in China. Sears made a deal with Briggs & Stratton for these "special" engines. Good luck with any parts or repairs.
Have not researched Craftsmen recently but mine is about 10 years old and has a Techumseh that was manufactured here.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #57
loony

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
I also have a vintage 1973 ariens snow blower. still going strong on it is on it 2nd (used) engine. Mine has a single belt for the auger and drive wheels with a lever mid way up the handle to disengage it. It also has the advanced drive wheel dead-man clutch on the handle bar instead of the opposite (car-like) clutch on earlier models. This blower is really dangerous but goes through anything!!!

I found that in recent years I have to drain the carburetor bowl and gas tank to store it or I'd find rust and have trouble the following season. Must be the ethanol.
loony is offline   Reply With Quote