Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2019, 09:38 AM   #1
Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc

Default Septic Sense - What homeowners need to know!

If you live in the Lakes Region, chances are that you have an on-site wastewater disposal system, or what’s more commonly referred to as a septic system. Care and maintenance of a septic system should be a priority for every homeowner, because it is a critical and expensive component of a home. To help people better understand how septic systems work, the Lake Winnipesaukee Association (LWA) is hosting two "Septic Sense" informational talks. The first will be held on July 30, at the Gilman Public Library in Alton from 6:30pm to 8 pm. Gary Spaulding, a licensed septic system designer and installer will explain about the different types of systems, proper maintenance and care, "Do's and Don'ts", the signs of a failing septic and what to do about it, alternatives to traditional systems, and the water quality and public health impacts. The second talk will be held August 27th at the Tuftonboro Fire Rescue Dept., 6:30-8pm.

Pre-registration is requested for both events. The Lake Winnipesaukee Association thanks Randy Hilman Homes, and Bank of New Hampshire for sponsorship of these important talks. For more information, contact the Lake Winnipesaukee Association at 603-581-6632 or mail@winnipesaukee.org.
Attached Images

The Lake Winnipesaukee Association (LWA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the water quality and natural resources of Lake Winnipesaukee and its watershed. Through monitoring, education, stewardship, and science guided approaches for lake management, LWA works to ensure Winnipesaukee’s scenic beauty, wildlife habitat, water quality and recreational potential continues to provide enjoyment long into the future.

http://www.winnipesaukee.org/
http://winnipesaukeegateway.org/
Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc

Default Great information shared

http://www.winnipesaukee.org/category/events/

Want to thank Gary Spaulding for the excellent presentation and information at last night's talk in Alton.

The septic sense talk will be repeated on August 27th, in Tuftonboro. Protect and maintain your septic system before it costs you $$$$$$$! You can register by emailing mail@winnipesaukee.org or call 581-6632.
The Lake Winnipesaukee Association (LWA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the water quality and natural resources of Lake Winnipesaukee and its watershed. Through monitoring, education, stewardship, and science guided approaches for lake management, LWA works to ensure Winnipesaukee’s scenic beauty, wildlife habitat, water quality and recreational potential continues to provide enjoyment long into the future.

http://www.winnipesaukee.org/
http://winnipesaukeegateway.org/
Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Septic Sense presentation

I'm buying another house here in Exeter that has no sewer. I've had sewer for the 20 years I've been here.

Needed to get a better handle on everything I could related to septic systems. This presentation was worth going to in a big way. Presenter was excellent and his PowerPoint presentation and handouts excellent as well.

You'd be very impressed with new technologies allowing small sites, sloped sites, failed sites and waterfront sites to get a functional system back in place.
Also information about what to do and not do with a system to keep it going.

Gary Spaulding the speaker helps with the State and permitting as well. I learned a huge amount.

He also did a site on Rattlesnake Island-need I say more? that required flying the system components in by chopper.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:07 PM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

What would be great would be links to the information that is being present at these talks.... Because some us just do not have the time to get to one of only two seminars.......
Old 08-02-2019, 01:07 PM   #5
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver1111 View Post
I'm buying another house here in Exeter that has no sewer. I've had sewer for the 20 years I've been here.

Needed to get a better handle on everything I could related to septic systems. This presentation was worth going to in a big way. Presenter was excellent and his PowerPoint presentation and handouts excellent as well.

You'd be very impressed with new technologies allowing small sites, sloped sites, failed sites and waterfront sites to get a functional system back in place.
Also information about what to do and not do with a system to keep it going.

Gary Spaulding the speaker helps with the State and permitting as well. I learned a huge amount.

He also did a site on Rattlesnake Island-need I say more? that required flying the system components in by chopper.
Did they say anything about using products like Rid-X?
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #6
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Additives to a septic system

I asked Gary that question; as I recall I used the word "enzyme" as that's what I think some people put in their system. He said no not needed.

I took alot of notes and left with lots of great information. One is a maintenance journal he handed out. The scan I made, attached, got cut off a bit due to its size.

His color handouts with photos and technical data sheets detailing different systems were excellent. I'm sure he'd mail you a copy. Ask him to send what he gave us that night that was in the blue folder.

A little bit more of what he told us:
- Know where the edges of the leach field are;
- Know where your water well is in relation to the leach field; the law requires a certain amount, distance-wise, of separation of the two;
- Don't drive on a leach field;
- Water softeners are very bad but there is a way to deal with it;
- Chlorine and anti-biotic drugs that get flushed are also bad because they kill the critical bacteria needed for proper system functioning;
- Winterize the system if the home is used seasonally;
- Pump the tank from both ends regardless of what the septic tank pump guy may say;
- Spread out wash loads to prevent over-loading its capacity to process a given flow volume; as I recall if this is not observed raw sewage will get into the leach field;
- Consider a 2 chamber tank vs 1;

Lots more but you get the point. I haven't been to his website but here it is:

www.aosne.com

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Septic Maintenance Journal.PDF (461.0 KB, 323 views)
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:12 PM   #7
dpg

Pump the tank from both ends regardless of what the septic tank pump guy may say;

Exactly what does this mean did he elaborate? I have a cover we've always removed and pumped from there. Where's the other end and how do you get to it? Doesn't mean digging up the yard does it? Did he mention the frequency of pump-outs?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
TheTimeTraveler (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 12:55 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Both ends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Pump the tank from both ends regardless of what the septic tank pump guy may say;

Exactly what does this mean did he elaborate? I have a cover we've always removed and pumped from there. Where's the other end and how do you get to it? Doesn't mean digging up the yard does it? Did he mention the frequency of pump-outs?
Good questions. I have no idea about "both ends". Frequency of pump out depends on usage. I do my main residence every other year. The same pumper recently recommended every year for a second home (rental) because they had more intense use on a system built in 1968. At camp, very low, seasonal use, the pumper recommended every 5-7 years.

Even though the label says "Flushable" those bathroom wipes do not break down the way toilet/tissue paper does and they will clog the system in short order.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:02 PM   #9
Wifi-1

Both ends:

The end of the tank where the incoming pipe goes is a large (usually) round lid, that is where they start pumping.

The opposite end of the tank is a smaller (usually) rectangular lid, where the effluent leaves to the leach field.

The sludge should be removed to the bottom from both lids, it doesn't seek its own level, as water would in a vessel.
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wifi-1 For This Useful Post:
WinnisquamZ (08-05-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 06:40 AM   #10
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifi-1 View Post
Both ends:

The end of the tank where the incoming pipe goes is a large (usually) round lid, that is where they start pumping.

The opposite end of the tank is a smaller (usually) rectangular lid, where the effluent leaves to the leach field.

The sludge should be removed to the bottom from both lids, it doesn't seek its own level, as water would in a vessel.
Hmmm at least at home I know where the big round lid is don't know about any other and it's never been pumped from there in 40 yrs. I know this cause it's a family home and know everyone that's ever lived in it. Have also seen many times and heard not to flush any wipes even know the packaging says it's fine.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote