Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
eillac@dow

Default Metal Roofs

Hello,

We have island property on Winnie in Moultonboro and are thinking about moving to a metal roof.

A couple of questions:

Do you have a metal roof?
Are you satisfied?
Can you share the Pro's & Cons?

Can you recommend and refer a contractor who does this work?

Thank you and as always, appreciate the insight of this forum.

Eillac

Last edited by eillac@dow; 06-24-2019 at 09:37 AM. Reason: added location
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eillac@dow View Post
Hello,

We have island property on Winnie in Moultonboro and are thinking about moving to a metal roof.

A couple of questions:

Do you have a metal roof?
Are you satisfied?
Can you share the Pro's & Cons?

Can you recommend and refer a contractor who does this work?

Thank you and as always, appreciate the insight of this forum.

Eillac
1) I do have a metal roof
2) I am satisfied
3) Pros and Cons
a) Pro's are more energy efficient, last twice as long, no snow build up. It does not make any nose when it rains as other may say
b) Con's are you cannot use gutters as the snow slides off and will pull them down, need to strategically layout the roof lines so snow falls off where you want it to instead of in front of a door or on your flower beds
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (06-24-2019), gravy boat (06-25-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
eillac@dow

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
1) I do have a metal roof
2) I am satisfied
3) Pros and Cons
a) Pro's are more energy efficient, last twice as long, no snow build up. It does not make any nose when it rains as other may say
b) Con's are you cannot use gutters as the snow slides off and will pull them down, need to strategically layout the roof lines so snow falls off where you want it to instead of in front of a door or on your flower beds
Joey.....can you recommend the Roofer you used?

And thank you for the info!
Old 06-24-2019, 11:18 AM   #4
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by eillac@dow View Post
Joey.....can you recommend the Roofer you used?

And thank you for the info!
It was through my developer I will try to find the name and send you a PM
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #5
kauriel

Make sure there is sufficient pitch, particularly if there will be seams. We bought a house last year with a new metal roof and had to replace with rubber because it was leaking, particularly when snow would melt and seep under it. The rain was also fairly loud on it. It was somewhat soothing when it was a steady light rain but a bit alarming in heavy torrential rain! I may have been more sensitive to it though since any precipitation meant checking for leaks
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kauriel For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (06-25-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
joey2665

Default Metal Roofs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauriel View Post
Make sure there is sufficient pitch, particularly if there will be seams. We bought a house last year with a new metal roof and had to replace with rubber because it was leaking, particularly when snow would melt and seep under it. The rain was also fairly loud on it. It was somewhat soothing when it was a steady light rain but a bit alarming in heavy torrential rain! I may have been more sensitive to it though since any precipitation meant checking for leaks
That’s not my experience my roof. I cannot hear the rain at all even in a torrential rain. Maybe different types of installation or the installer

As far as leaks when snow melts, I have none but metal roofs require a good amount of snow and ice shield

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 06:04 AM   #7
jeffk

We got a metal roof a few years ago and we are very happy with it.

It is extremely durable (expected lifetime is 50 to 100 years), it is screwed on, fire and hail and wind resistant, it weighs far less than a asphalt roof so the combined weight of roof and snow is less of a concern. You may be able to get a homeowners insurance reduction with a metal roof. Peace of mind; I don't think I will have to worry about the roof for the rest of my life.

It is NOT noisy when it rains (nor when it snows ).

We got a higher end type, DECRA (check out the website pictures). The steel is heavier and is covered in an epoxy, stone dust material. It is beautiful and looks like regular shingles (shake and tile style anso available). People look at it and cannot believe it is a metal roof. It does NOT dump snow like the standing seam metal roofs. We chose it because we did not want it to.

THE DECRA IS PRICEY. The standing seam metal roofs are cheaper (and come in more colors) but are still more than a asphalt roof.

We got it from Drew's Affordable Steel Roofing out of Laconia (they have a website). They did a great job for a fair price. They, however, are VERY busy and it can take 3 or more months to get them out to do the job. They may quote you 3 months out and not get there until the 4th month. If you don't have the patience to wait for quality work, you will be frustrated. We had developed a leak when we first contacted them and we had them place a tarp over the roof until they could get the job done. It was a little added expense but we were well pleased with the result. A friend also had them do their roof and was pleased with the outcome. They got the Wakefield Bridge shingles.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 06:25 AM   #8
SAB1

No issues with my metal roof. Didn’t hear rain but when the acorns were falling that’s a different story.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (07-01-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 04:36 AM   #9
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,617 Times in 560 Posts

I have two different types of steel roof. The one on my business is standard metal panels that are screwed down. 35 years old and will probably go another 50 but there is one problem. Expansion and contraction will cause some of the screws to loosen and need to be tightened occasionally which is not an easy job.
At my home I have a standing seam steel roof. Snow slides off better and no visible screws.....totally maintenance free.
I think the prices are comparable but standing seam is a much better option.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (07-01-2019), Hillcountry (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 02:09 PM   #10
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
I have two different types of steel roof. The one on my business is standard metal panels that are screwed down. 35 years old and will probably go another 50 but there is one problem. Expansion and contraction will cause some of the screws to loosen and need to be tightened occasionally which is not an easy job.
At my home I have a standing seam steel roof. Snow slides off better and no visible screws.....totally maintenance free.
I think the prices are comparable but standing seam is a much better option.
So because the screws are not visible (but still there) you are saying that the effects of heat and cold does not make things expand and contract? I would respectfully, argue that point...the screws through the metal, even though "hidden" are still going to expand and contract...the difference is that they are not exposed to the elements so therefore do not allow water through their elongated holes. Maybe that's what you meant...all good!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (07-01-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 04:06 PM   #11
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
So because the screws are not visible (but still there) you are saying that the effects of heat and cold does not make things expand and contract? I would respectfully, argue that point...the screws through the metal, even though "hidden" are still going to expand and contract...the difference is that they are not exposed to the elements so therefore do not allow water through their elongated holes. Maybe that's what you meant...all good!
I have a few screws loose and I'm expanding & contracting, but mostly expanding!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:03 PM   #12
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I have a few screws loose and I'm expanding & contracting, but mostly expanding!
I only expand in winter...in summer the chores let me contract again...
As far as my screws...it feels like they’re tightening...;o)
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Biggd (06-26-2019), eillac@dow (07-01-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 05:42 AM   #13
jeffk

I forgot one negative associated with my metal roof. Woodpeckers. I had a mentally challenged woodpecker on the roof in the morning that seems to have decided that rapping on a metal roof was like a rooster's call. What a racket. At first I couldn't figure out what the noise was. It sounded mechanical but I couldn't associate it with anything that I have in the house. I finally figured out that it was "outside" and went out to check. The little twerp was sitting on the end of the house banging away. He kept it up for days, for over an hour, and I assume he finally bent his beak and gave it up. He had been at it over a week last year. He came back this year but only once or twice and not for so long. His beak probably still aches from last year.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (07-01-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 06:57 AM   #14
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

We just had a metal roof installed on our new camp and porch. As others have stated, there's no "ping" from the rain. In fact, last night's thunderstorm was the most powerful so far, and the roof was quieter than our old shingle one--my guess is the barrier used between the metal and plywood, which is essential because of the expansion/contraction, dampens quite a bit.

I'm not too sure about the insulation part yet, but yesterday it certainly felt cooler on the porch and inside, even though we had some trees taken down and are now more exposed to the sun throughout the day.

There's definitely a benefit to snow sliding off--the most we observed was an inch or two--but as others have noted, it can pile up hard. Because of the compression when it falls, we had snow behind our camp a few weeks after everything else had melted.

Overall, I'm glad we went metal--barring any extraordinary circumstances, we should be good-to-go for 30 years+.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:52 AM   #15
Garcia

Default Island installer recommendations?

A helpful thread. Two questions - can anyone recommend outfits that do Island work? And, does anyone have any idea if the tariffs have impacted the cost of a metal roof - and if so, by how much?
Garcia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:46 AM   #16
NH.Solar

If you are going to stripping the roof down to the original sheathing before installing your new metal roof (recommended), consider using 2x4s laid flat and crossways 2' apart on your rafters and then placing 1.5 inch foam board between the purlins. It is a relatively cheap upgrade that will make a huge energy and noise difference
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NH.Solar For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-29-2019), Hillcountry (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 10:58 PM   #17
Top-Water

Just Asking, I simply don't know.

How do these metal roofs deal with lightning strikes. Any one have any experience/s or know of any issues.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:00 AM   #18
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,617 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH.Solar View Post
If you are going to stripping the roof down to the original sheathing before installing your new metal roof (recommended), consider using 2x4s laid flat and crossways 2' apart on your rafters and then placing 1.5 inch foam board between the purlins. It is a relatively cheap upgrade that will make a huge energy and noise difference
Just curious, why not leave the old shingles in place and just go over them with metal?
I'd think it would provide a little more insulation and less noise from rail.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:55 AM   #19
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Just curious, why not leave the old shingles in place and just go over them with metal?

I'd think it would provide a little more insulation and less noise from rail.

The old shingles do not provide a flat level surface for installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-01-2019, 03:35 PM   #20
eillac@dow

Default Thank you all

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate all the comments...lots to think about....metal is probably the route we will take...at some point.

Again....reco's of contractors that do this work....please feel free to share the good and the bad!

Happy 4th of July Everyone.

Eillac
Old 07-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #21
CaptT820

Default Metal Roof

I also have a metal roof.
Satisfied.

The roof is noisy in the rain, but we are installed directly onto the plywood sheathing with no insulation in our camp. We actually enjoy the sound when it rains. Rain/Snow come directly off and in our case pine needles as well which is one of the reasons we got one. Metal roofs (when installed correctly) prevent the build up of moss and pine needles. Provided the proper amount of insulation you probably will never hear the rain.

We installed our roof ourselves, so it was very cost effective and comparable to installing asphalt shingles. We used Everlast roofing which comes in 20 or so different colors and three different styles. They are a relatively local company as they have offices in Bridgton, Maine. It is actually not that hard to install yourself (unless you live on an island like we do).

The roof has a 35 year warranty and is easily recyclable at the end of its life, unlike asphalt shingles. It also requires much less prep time to install than asphalt and weighs on your roof less. Very sturdy.

Hope this helps.
CaptT820 is offline   Reply With Quote